Should Nintendo only produce software like SEGA? With all respect!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jnis730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jnis730
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I really believe that this would be a good thing for Nintendo and the whole industry. The minds at Nintendo are genius and without all the money pouring into hardware to try and keep up with Sony and Microsoft, they would really flourish as a company to make the incredible games they're know for. Not saying that they do spend a lot on hardware (e.g Wii and Wii U) are no where near the power of the coming next gens. Imagine a Mario or Zelda on PS4 or Xbox One? Ooof

I understand that Nintendo still makes incredible games on their own system but its just a thought.

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

I really believe that this would be a good thing for Nintendo and the whole industry. The minds at Nintendo are genius and without all the money pouring into hardware to try and keep up with Sony and Microsoft, they would really flourish as a company to make the incredible games they're know for. Not saying that they do spend a lot on hardware (e.g Wii and Wii U) are no where near the power of the coming next gens. Imagine a Mario or Zelda on PS4 or Xbox One? Ooof

I understand that Nintendo still makes incredible games on their own system but its just a thought.

Jnis730
Why would this be a good thing? You think Sony/Xbox fans will just buy all their software? For everyone always crying that Nintendo needs to go 3rd party probably, if they did go 3rd party those same people probably will not buy their games anyway so why should they cater to them? Like it or not, The last 3 Nintendo consoles before the Wii U are multi million sellers (Wii, DS, 3DS) and once the heavy hitters come out in winter 13 and spring 14 this trend is likely to continue;so why is their even talk of them going software only? Go home, Jnis...your drunk
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

This is an interesting theory, but they made a lot of money on the Wii, and god forbid they top making handhelds.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

They are better at designing games for the systems they make; I honestly think that if Nintendo only made software for Sony and Microsoft then the quality will drop just like SEGA's quality because they are used to designing the system around the games they want to make instead of designing the games around the system.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
No they should not, with all respect.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Because going software only has been soooo good for Sega. :roll:

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Nintendo pretty much sucks ass at console hardware, so i think it could be a good thing. Would be great to be able to buy the next metroid or zelda on PS4 and PC. It would also help kill off their motion controls which would absolutely be great.

I, for one, would buy them on other consoles.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Honestly, there is part of me that kinda wishes they would. I love Nintendo's games, but they seem to struggle when it comes to hardware. There handhelds are still as amazing as always, but it's seems that when Nintendo design a console they design it selfishly, they think only about what there developers want, with little regard to 3rd party developers or consumers. Lets face it no one outside of Nintendo asked them to make the Wii, fact is we all probably wanted GameCube 2.0, a more powerful system (up there with the PS3 and 360) with a normal controller and Devs could have easily developed games for all three system leading to it getting most, if not all multi-platform games. Luckily for Nintendo they found a gap in the market and managed to fill it, but what games really used the Wii well, just there 1st party exclusives, a few occasional title got lucky and did it right, but mainly it was Nintendo because they design there hardware exclusively for themselves, and the same has happened with Wii U, but this time that gap in the market has been lost to mobile/tablet and facebook gaming. If Nintendo wants to continue making hardware they need to come out into the real world for once and listen to what people are saying, and I don't just mean there hardcore fanbase, but also (and perhaps more importantly) critics, publishers, developers and just the average guy on the street instead of just doing what they want and not caring if they do well or not. If they can't do this then they should consider either going hand held only, 3rd party, or becoming a first party developer for Sony (and also head company for there handhelds), because if they continue the path they are currently going they will struggle, and as sad as it is to say I don't see them been around next gen.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
Dumb Thread.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Dumb Thread. dobzilian

Not dumb at all, it's very legit. Nintendo better hope and pray that the games they are releasing some time in the next 4 years (if we're lucky) kick some serious ass or they are going to be pretty boned.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

You don't understand anything about business, Nintendo, or the industry if you honestly think that and you need to come to terms with not understanding it.

Nintendo makes money on hardware. Let's say they make $30 off every 3DS sold annually (they likely do). That's $420 million in profit annually. If they made games for other devices that's $420 million down the drain. This is based off selling 14 million 3DS systems in one year which they did the last two years.

That doesn't even count Wii U (eventually profitable), Wii (major profitable at a slower sales rate) and DS (major profits at a slower sales rate)

Then, if you need even further reason in understanding how going third party would kill Nintendo look at Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land on 3DS. Both sold over 8 million copies each. Let's say Nintendo makes $25 off each game after retailer fees, shipping, packaing etc. These games almost NEVER drop from $40 btw.

$25 for 16 million total copies of these two games equals roughly $400 million. For two 3DS games whose budget is probably less than $5 million.

So tell me, if you're any good at math, why would Nintendo ever BENEFIT from going third party if they can make half a billion dollars off one piece of hardware annually and make half a billion dollars off only TWO first party games.

This doesn't even count Pokemon, Animal Crossing, all other Mario games, etc. Or the 30% cut they get from third parties.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I know this wouldn't happen, but it'd be hilarious if Nintendo brought the problem of third parties not selling on their system to all the others. So everyone predominantly buys Nintendo games across all platforms causing all other devs to go out of business. :P

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]Dumb Thread. jer_1

Not dumb at all, it's very legit. Nintendo better hope and pray that the games they are releasing some time in the next 4 years (if we're lucky) kick some serious ass or they are going to be pretty boned.

You're so wrong on so many levels. You need to admit that there is no chance they're "boned". If the Wii U sells 20 million units over 5 years they'd be fine and in great condition. Look at the Cube. They make massive profits on software and hardware. This is like telling Disney to put their shows on Nick, MTV, ABC Family, etc. They make way too much money on first party content to justify a silly move like going third party, not to mention fees they get paid by third parties.

It is a dumb idea in every single way. It is never happening and wastes oxygen and time to be discussed. Honestly, I know that sounds a bit harsh but questions like this should be banned on forums because it's just a bunch of people who don't understand anything getting together to confuse each other for X amount of posts. That's how unlikely it is. I didn't even bring up Nintendo's $10 billion in cash.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonesawisready5

Nintendo pretty much sucks ass at console hardware, so i think it could be a good thing. Would be great to be able to buy the next metroid or zelda on PS4 and PC. It would also help kill off their motion controls which would absolutely be great.

I, for one, would buy them on other consoles.

jer_1

Sucks at hardware? I'm sorry if you expected a 1Ghz GPU and 8GB GDDR5 RAM in the Wii U but I personally am very impressed by a multi-core CPU @ 1.2Ghz, a solid GPGPU and 2GB RAM inside a small package that barely draws over 35 watts at all times. 

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts
to wish for nintendo to go 3rd party is to insinuate that nintendo have nothing, absolutely nothing, to offer in the hardware department. is this what people really think? nintendo have nothing to offer because they dont have 32GB of gddr5 ram and 2 graphics chips backed by 16 cpu cores? is horsepower all that matters in a consoles design? dual shock is perfect is it...should never be changed or challenged? every gen just the same ol same ol with more horsepower and more creative ways to squeez money from your pockets? thats what the industry should strive for is it? nintendo should be the last company out of the console market if it ever fails.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Nintendo is really good a making hardware and has brought most of the innovations the industry has copied over the last few decades.  The only thing Nintendo needs to do is hire a good marketing company cause they suck at that.  They got lucky with the Wii because of the shocking nature of the system controls and it's ability to destroy TVs.  That got people talking about it.  Nintendo didn't do much.  Also like someone said it's not like Sega is doing very well these days, both in bussiness and game quality.  

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

YearoftheSnake5

This :lol: And look, Nintendo has cashed in a lot of money from the Wii, they aren't going to stop because one of their consoles had a bad launch. Maybe if the Wii U doesn't pick up (and honestly, I don't mean sell 90 million units like the Wii did. Even if it sold as much as say, the gamecube, they'll live) and their next console does just as badly they will stop making consoles, but at this stage that is still a long way away.

Jnis730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jnis730

...Look I love Nintendo just as much as the next person! I just want them to compete more with the Hardware as well.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

...Look I love Nintendo just as much as the next person! I just want them to compete more with the Hardware as well.

Jnis730
I'm confused.
illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

Jnis730
I understand that but the hardware isn't really that bad. Time and time again it's proven that graphics do not make games. So Nintendo does not need to compete with anyone else. I really did not see a drop off in graphics comparing ps4/xbox1 compared to the Wii u in the sense where I see the Wii u as a weak pos. Granted the graphics DO look better on ps4 xbox1 but so what. I can't play graphics and art style trumps graphics every single time
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

No. Nintendo makes software that sells their hardware.

It has been this way since the beginning. 

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#23 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Why submit to hardware policies when you can make your own? I guess that why Nintendo continues making hardware
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I would not say that Nintendo should stop making hardware completely.  Most of its games feel bite sized, and better suited for handhelds.  I would not mind if Nintendo went handheld only.  The gamepad of the Wii U can be used as a handheld device for some games.  Nintendo handhelds have been constantly strong.  Nintendo seems to making very similar games for 3DS and Wii U, so why not just make both titles for one platform?  Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8 would work just as well on 3DS as they will on Wii U.  

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#25 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It would be a great idea only to the people who want to play Nintendo games, but do not want to spend money on their hardware.

Now, more than ever, Nintendo has been producing systems that allow for creative gameplay design and that power exclusive games through their unique mechanics.

Not to mention that, even with their profits taking a hit in recent years, Nintendo is, out of the three hardware-makers, the one that gets the most cash out of the gaming business, and they dominate the handheld market with ridiculous ease.

So I do not think it would be a good idea for them to do what Sega did a while ago. Like I said, the industry would lose their creativity and push to do things differently; and gamers and Nintendo fans would lose an alternative, which tends to offer quite a unique take on gaming. The only people who would be happy about it are those wo want to play their great exclusives, but for some reason do not want to buy their systems.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]Dumb Thread. jer_1

It be legit if was on SW's but it isnt. If you want a super spec'd gaming machine then get a PC and not a PS4, X1, WiiU. Nintendo consoles have always been about first party games which sell there Consoles unlike Sony and MS who rely on third parties like activision to sell there consoles (cod are best sellers on both). Should Sony go third party due to lack luster first party in sales departmemt as they dont sell or should MS go third party as they have to no games? I dont wanna pay for online at all, I wanna purchase PRE-OWNED games, I wanna play the top franchises like Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta 2 which can only be found on the WiiU. Its a dumb topic overall like i've said and not very well thought on out. Oh and PC Gaming is the only right answer if wanna talk about 'POWAH' and not PS4 X1.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i personally love their hardware innovations...

the dpad, the analog stick, the wiimote, and now the gamepad...

i love this stuff.

so no..id like them to continue.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

No. Then theres no more free online, I dont want the generic Xbox 360 like controller. I want a new controller every new system. If Nintendo leaves the console market they are taking their games with them, they stated that before. But I'll be brutally honest. If theres no Nintendo system then the gaming industry has ended and anyone trying to continuing it is just milking a dead horse. (cow?)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

YearoftheSnake5

A company on the brink of disappearing forever is now able to do whatever it pleases?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No, not until they fail this gen (still too early to say they failed) & the next gen. :p

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I think they would have a lot better luck than sega did TBH...there seems to be more demand for their first party games. They could still stay in the handheld market as they have owned that for decades (at least till it goes away - taken over by phones, tablets, or whatever is 'next'). Then they could make games for the other consoles.
Abagnam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Abagnam
Member since 2013 • 122 Posts
nintendo should never leave the hardware market With nintendo we have a real option in this market, so we can escape from the consoles of sony and MS, which are quite similar
Jnis730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jnis730

@illmatic8582: check out this link and what I've been talking about heh

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/03/nintendos-curse-haunts-microsofts-xbox-and-sonys-p.aspx

Jnis730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jnis730

@bonesawisready5:

check this link out and see what I've been talking about heh

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/03/nintendos-curse-haunts-microsofts-xbox-and-sonys-p.aspx

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

i dont ever see nintendo not at least making handhelds, the 3ds is great.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Drop the unique but ultimately useless & expensive gamepad, switch it all the pro controllers (does pro controller have gyro built in?) - that way you know the system can support 4? of them instead of just 2 gamepad max ..that should bring down the price considerably. Then drop the price & you have a seller. Should have improve on wiimote instead tho. :P

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I'd rather them stick to hardware.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

If Nintendo continued the gamecube approach of being like its competitors, I would've said yes. But that didn't happen. I'm probably the minority when I say that I advocate the unique features of Nintendo Consoles as of late (dual screens, motion control, and the Gamepad. The 3D was an unnecessary gimmick though). Sony and Microsoft are at each others throats, sporting nearly identical capabilities and features while Nintendo is off in another field attempting a new approach. It was a worthwhile investment owning one generic console like a Ps3 or 360 and a Wii instead of having both a Ps3 and a 360. It's going to be the same in the next generation with a Ps4 or X1 and a Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think Nintendo's strength is in handheld gaming, and giving consumers new methods of input and new experiences.

I don't always think their execution is the best. Case in point, the Wii-U and the 2DS. Both things make sense once you really think about it, and get to understand the reasoning behind it, but there probably would have been much better ways to go about doing both of those things. I think maybe they need better hardware designers.

At the same time, though, I can't really put all of the blame on Nintendo because gamers are a difficult bunch to please. And not all gamers want the same thing - I sure don't put a huge amount of stock into graphics and the XBox controller like most modern gamers do - hand me a stick with a dpad and an a and b button and give me blocks and jaggies, and that's good enough for me.

I think if Nintendo made a handheld game system that is as powerful as a console and can be played on a television set remotely, or something like that, it would be great.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts

Nintendo makes bad hardware? What? I think Nintendo actually make the the best quality hardware in terms of reliability, build quality and design. They don't produce the most powerful hardware but they make great hardware nonetheless.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

We are aware this topic is 4 months old? Ignore it

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@nini200: I disagree. Their audience could become bigger instantly. You trying to tell me a lot of people wouldn't buy a new mario game on PS4? Nintendo needs to start thinking for a minute. Install base is the key to selling a lot of games and Nintendo just doesn't have it in comparison to the other 2.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Uh no. Then there are no more innovations. Just graphics and power upgrades each time. THATS NOT WHAT WE WANT.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#45 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

There isn't anything wrong with Nintendo consoles though, the problem is that they don't usually get the great 3rd party games on them. This COULD be remedied with the idea that Nintendo would make software only for the other consoles but I'd honestly rather shell out more money for another console or to upgrade my PC for those 3rd party games than have Nintendo stop making consoles. What draws me to Nintendo time and time again is the gaming experience I get on their consoles and handhelds. I loved motion controls on the Wii, loved the touch screen on the DS and 3DS, and I like the tablet on the Wii U. They're different and it works for me and I wouldn't play Nintendo games any other way.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#46 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@Jnis730 said:

@illmatic8582: check out this link and what I've been talking about heh

Please, do not bump old topics.