Should I wait for 3DS? Or buy XL Dsi?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts

So really I want a nintendo DS for a few select games really (pokemon mainly) and I lack patients when it comes to things like this... Is the 3Ds kind of a new handheld rather than just an upgraded DS? Or is it similar to the DSi? I really have no clue when it comes to handhelds, I have always been a PC gamer to be fair and am lost on handhelds. I imagine their will be price drops too once the 3Ds is released.

Plus I hear the 3Ds will be region locked? I am from europe, if that is the case it will be a dealbreaker if the Dsi is not region locked.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
Think Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. As for region locking, yes, the 3DS is region locked... but so is the DSi.
Rennar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rennar
Member since 2007 • 526 Posts

The best things come to those who wait...

But I'd definately wait for 3ds; it's only about 3 weeks, and It's got really great graphics, can play DS games, and will allow you to buy smaller games online like the dsi.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="dzimm"]Think Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. As for region locking, yes, the 3DS is region locked... but so is the DSi.

Arghh! region locked... why do this :( I want my japanese games.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

[QUOTE="dzimm"]Think Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. As for region locking, yes, the 3DS is region locked... but so is the DSi.wigan_gamer
Arghh! region locked... why do this :( I want my japanese games.

I feel your pain mate. A comforting news is DS games of all regions work on the 3DS (including Japanese games).

Small ray of hope: The system is region locked, but the games could be region free if the developer makes it so.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

Right now, if you just want something to play Pokemon on and you are not bothered about 3DS games yet....

Pick up a used DS Lite, they are dirt cheap now. Play it until something you really want comes out on the 3DS, and then upgrade.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Think Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. As for region locking, yes, the 3DS is region locked... but so is the DSi.dzimm
the DSi is not region locked for normal DS games, I think I remember. The dsi ware games though are.
lovingRPGs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lovingRPGs
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have the DSXL and it is not region locked, only games made especialy for the DSI or DSI LX are region locked. Which ones are they anyway? I am playing Pokemon Heartgold now on the DSXL and it is perfect...nice big screen, you dont get that on the 3DS
AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts
I have the DSXL and it is not region locked, only games made especialy for the DSI or DSI LX are region locked. Which ones are they anyway? I am playing Pokemon Heartgold now on the DSXL and it is perfect...nice big screen, you dont get that on the 3DSlovingRPGs
Depends how big you want your pixels, I guess.
gary3dsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gary3dsfan
Member since 2010 • 220 Posts

Wait for a 3ds its only a few weeks away. Think of it this way you will have the latest next gen handheld system with backwards compatible to original ds games and dsi ware.

illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
Buy a DSi now, to get started on your backlog of games. When you're done with those and when 3DSs are widely available, trade it all in towards it.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Amazon Warehouse deals (click on the Gold Box icon near the middle top portion of the page and then click on the rightmost link on the following page). You'll be able to find DSi XL's used for about $130. They also have an Onyx DS Lite used for $70. If all you want is to play some DS games, either of those will do you. But if you want the next gen, then I'd recommend waiting on the 3DS.

LetsPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LetsPlayer
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts
Just wait the 20+ days.
gary3dsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gary3dsfan
Member since 2010 • 220 Posts
Buy a DSi now, to get started on your backlog of games. When you're done with those and when 3DSs are widely available, trade it all in towards it. illharmonics
Whats the point buying a dsi when he can just buy the 3ds and play old ds games anyway?
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
The 3DS comes out this month. Not too long of a wait. Assuming you can find one.
Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Get the Nintendo 3DS. Like the other guy siad, you will have the lastest handheld and it will play the whole back catalog. It's only 22 days away (America). That's just 3 weeks.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

3ds is almost here jsut wait

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts
It really depends on your taste. the 3DS offers a bit more graphic wise and some other stuff, there is a video about it on the Nintendo site.. There is also the issue with price.. right now a 3DS cost $250 us dollars ... You said you like pokemon (spelling ?) .. there is a DSi bundle right now where you get the system and either pokemon black or white with the system for $180 us dollars. I spent hours researching them both cause like you I wasn't sure which to get a DSi or a 3DS ... after about a week of doing research I chose the 3DS simply because I liked the graphic a bit more and liked all the options it has compaired to the other style DS's that are out there.. I currently have a DS Lite and i'm upgrading to the 3DS. I have had the ds lite for about 3-4 years now.. and if you don't want to spend more then $100 us dollars on a DS then go with a DS lite... DS lite can play both gameboy games and DS games .. However the DSi and 3DS can not play gameboy games or games that need the gameboy slot (example Guitar Hero) .
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
After watching videos of the Japanese launch and seeing the launch titles i decided to cancel my pre-order. Get a DSi XL w/ mario kart bundle if you can still find one. Wait until more games are released for the 3DS. You might possibly find on sale down the line.
gomakyle25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gomakyle25
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

After watching videos of the Japanese launch and seeing the launch titles i decided to cancel my pre-order. Get a DSi XL w/ mario kart bundle if you can still find one. Wait until more games are released for the 3DS. You might possibly find on sale down the line. gokuofheaven

Well just because you don't like the launch games and cancelled your pre-order, doesn't mean much. Let him decide. Maybe he would get it and use it for now for the AR Games, to play old games, and just to have it so he doesn't have to wait a couple months for it. And who knows what if he does like a couple of the games? Having a 3DS despite not liking the launch games really means nothing. You can still play the old games and get some of the new stuff as well.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

[QUOTE="gokuofheaven"]After watching videos of the Japanese launch and seeing the launch titles i decided to cancel my pre-order. Get a DSi XL w/ mario kart bundle if you can still find one. Wait until more games are released for the 3DS. You might possibly find on sale down the line. gomakyle25

Well just because you don't like the launch games and cancelled your pre-order, doesn't mean much. Let him decide. Maybe he would get it and use it for now for the AR Games, to play old games, and just to have it so he doesn't have to wait a couple months for it. And who knows what if he does like a couple of the games? Having a 3DS despite not liking the launch games really means nothing. You can still play the old games and get some of the new stuff as well.

More importantly it's a matter of how much the buyer wants to spend. So yes let him decide.
Avatar image for PorkPoltergeist
PorkPoltergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 PorkPoltergeist
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

I would buy a DS lite for now. Nintendo will surely release a new version of the 3DS within a year with better battery life, and probably better 3D functionality so I would wait a while and see what happens.