Should i buy a Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

K1Gamer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 K1Gamer360
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Guys should i buy a wii u ?

darth_timon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darth_timon
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

This is a question I have asked myself repeatedly. There are some good reasons to get one - fully backwards compatible with the Wii and Wii controllers, exclusive titles like Zelda and Mario Kart, but by the same token, there's lots the Wii U can't do. There is not a chance of Call of Duty, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Skyrim, FIFA, Formula 1... you won't see anything like that on the Wii U. I love Nintendo and have owned every home console they've released in the UK, but the Wii U might be the one I don't go for - unless the new Zelda game for it promises to deliver.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

There's probably up to a maximum of 2 years of sub-optimal support from Nintendo for the console.

So basically, look at the current line-up now (and the set of announced games). That's basically the entire package right there. Is that worth the price tag? That's for you to decide. Personally, it is for me.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

That depends entirely on what you like to play, I don't care about Zelda, actually I don't like any Zelda game, I like MK, Mario Bros, Bayonetta, Splatoon looks fun, for those yes I would open my wallet and get me a WiiU, BC for me is a lot less important, for older Nintendo games I have my Wii. As much as I like Nintendo games with a WiiU you'll never get other than Nintendo games.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It depends on if you enjoy what Nintendo publishes and if their current(and announced) library warrants the purchase. As @trugs26 said, we're probably looking at just a couple more years of support. What you see is what you get at this point. For me, it's worth it because I really enjoy Nintendo's franchises and I have PC for all games that don't come to Wii U. And there are a LOT of games that don't come to Wii U. Best to take that into consideration.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

There's plenty to play if you're just buying a Wii U now.
The system has a great library of games.

Just don't expect much more support from now on out.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes you should get a wii u.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Fils-Aime: The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation. The other piece I would highlight is this is a global business. Don’t just look at what’s happening here in the U.S. Look at what’s happening globally.

From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors. We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-on-the-skylanders-partnership-amiibo-shortages-wii-u-sales-more/#more-206431

I'll do GS's job. Do not buy a Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Do you love Nintendo games, if that answer is yes, then yes, Wii U is awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

The Wii-U has had a rocky life so far. And I still don't particularly like the direction Nintendo took with the Wii-U - the company really shot itself in the foot by continuing down that same path they started down with the Wii.

No denying that the system has had its share of good games that caught my attention. New Super Mario Bros. Wii-U + Super Luigi Wii-U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii-U, Splatoon, and Windwaker HD - among others. And there are several upcoming games that look good. Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Zelda Wii-U...

Still, it's hard for me to consider the Wii-U right now. I have XBO, PS4 and the N3DS. NX has been announced. I'd rather just wait and see if most of these Wii-U games come to the 3DS and NX, than spend all of this money on another console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Ovirew: I wouldnt wait to long, Nintendo games have a tendency to rise in price. At Least with PS4 and Xbox One you are guaranteed to get the games for SUPER cheap. Not with Nintendo, you miss out, you pretty much miss out. Unless you buy the game digitial, you might find yourself paying like $70-100 for used Nintendo games. Shoot, look at some of the prices on the awesome Wii games, look at some of the prices already for Wii U games. Pikmin 3 is like $80 bucks now used.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@mesome713: That probably has something to do with Nintendo being stubborn, and not lowering the prices of their games after a year or two on the market.

Customers who are stingy won't pay top dollar for a lot of those games, and not enough copies of the game will sell, so new copies wo be made. This results in the games becoming 'rare', thus people take advantage of the situation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Ovirew: It dont have nothing to do with that, it just has to do with not enough copies from poor sales etc. If Nintendo makes 1 million copies of a game and it takes 3 years to sell 1 million, then Nintendo will not produce another batch because it will take to long to sell. So instead they just release another game and try it again.

Lowering the prices of the games still wont really help Nintendo, Nintendo lowered the prices of many games and they still sale about the same. You can catch Nintendo games on sale a bunch, i bought Mario Kart 8 last year for $35 brand new, but watch after 5 years that game will be worth $50 used. Smash Bros Melee is a perfect example, that game sold great on GC, it also went on sale a bunch, you could buy it brand new for $20 at one time, but guess how much that game costs today, that beach bout $100 used. Another example would be Super Mario Sunshine, that game you could buy brand new from Nintendo for $20, that beast even hit that Player Choice and sold like hotcakes, but guess how much that game cost now, dont even want know, makes me cry i dont have it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@mesome713: My one friend keep noting that our store still wants $40 for Mario Kart Wii. Wii, not Wii-U. That's crazy, and that is a game that, if I'm not mistaken, sold very well on the Wii originally. It's funny because for $10 more you can get Mario Kart 8.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Ovirew: That really has nothing to do with Nintendo though, thats the store that is charging that price. I remember back in the Wii days you could get that game for $30.

My guess is they are just selling their overstock. They dont want to lower price cause they know they dont have to. They also dont have to worry about inventory space cause Nintendo games dont take up much room.

Sony and Microsoft on the other hand take up a bunch of room. They have a lot more games so the competition is pretty crazy for space, they will mark down games to get them out the way and make room for new ones. You can for real buy Xbox and Playstation games for $20-30 like months after they are released for most. Only ones that wont are the gems, the ones like GTA 5 and MG5, these drop in price slower cause they dont worry about space much, plus usually only 1 per generation so dont have to worry about making room for future games like some do CoD, or Sports games, AC, Batman, LBP, Halo, etc.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Mario party 8 is still 40 at GameStop used lol

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@k1gamer360: There are not many M-Rated games on the Wii U compared to other game consoles. Nintendo does not implement on-line functionality to the fullest extent as other companies. The Wii U is too difficult for most third-party developers to program for. There are not as many sports games for the Wii U as there are on other consoles. These factors are real deal-breakers for many gamers-maybe most gamers.

Rather than focusing on realism and cinematic art presentations in their games, Nintendo games tend to use colorful, charming, stylized art presentations (like Yoshi's Wooly World for example). Nintendo games tend to use cartoon physics instead of real-life physics for the animations and gameplay. Their game consoles are not just sufficient for playing these fun arcade-style video games, but are specifically designed to it. The Wii U Gamepad works like a normal game controller, but can do much more; and also uses NFC (Near Field Communication) for the famous Amiibo toy-to-life figures.

Look at games like Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros. Wii U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario World 3D, Rayman Legends, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, Mighty No. 9, and Yoshi's Wooly World. There is a vast library of Wii and Wii U digital games to play. If these kind of games look fun to you, then you should strongly consider getting a Wii U.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Collie_Lover: Well said. I couldnt agree more.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Ovirew: I wouldnt wait to long, Nintendo games have a tendency to rise in price. At Least with PS4 and Xbox One you are guaranteed to get the games for SUPER cheap. Not with Nintendo, you miss out, you pretty much miss out. Unless you buy the game digitial, you might find yourself paying like $70-100 for used Nintendo games. Shoot, look at some of the prices on the awesome Wii games, look at some of the prices already for Wii U games. Pikmin 3 is like $80 bucks now used.

Not really, certain games may rise in price, games like Xenobalde Chronicles, but that is an exception.

Just got this one for 10 US dollars:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@raugutcon: Nice find mate, thats a steal, check out how much it runs on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Play-Control-Donkey-Kong-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOMQWG

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

@mesome713: you can get deals on ebay. Nintendo games hold their value but, you can find rare gem with a few scratches on ebay for cheap.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

NO, don't buy it unless you love Nintendo first party games, otherwise it will collect dust like mine. You can't use it for anything else aside from a clunky internet browser, you can't listen to music or watch movies on it so it's just dust collector unless you love Nintendo games like Mario etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Since I think they're about to bail out on it for the NX I would wait until next year, especially given the sparse support its been given lately

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I'm still interested in Wii-U, but like I say, it is really hard for me to justify the purchase at this point.

The other day I almost bit the bullet and got a copy of Wii-U Fit, since it was on sale at a very reasonable price. My wife had mentioned being interested in trying it before, and I figured that could kind of kick start things and get us to work towards buying a Wii-U. ...But it still isn't meant to be I guess, because I didn't have the money on me to make the purchase.

Games getting more difficult to find and not dropping much in price really doesn't help the system's case, either. I might not mind just downloading games from the eShop, except they're still not tied to a global account - if you lose the system you lose the content - and Nintendo is still really behind the times when it comes to storage space for digital purchases.

A buddy of mine has one, and I would totally get one to play Smash Bros. online with him, but he doesn't even have Internet right now. And yeah, just playing Smash Bros. with strangers or offline would be cool - I usually played Smash Bros. offline and enjoyed it just fine over the years. But once again, it just seems like the odds are against it right now.

Hyrule Warriors getting ported to the 3DS also doesn't inspire full confidence. What if I buy the Wii-U, only to have Nintendo turn around and port some more of these games to the 3DS or NX? I would actually prefer to play most games on the 3DS anyway.

Maybe for someone who has owned the Wii-U for a while now, the system's full value is apparent. But for someone in my shoes, it is a difficult console to say yes or no to. I guess for now all I'll really do is what I have been doing - nothing.

CamoFanatic123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CamoFanatic123
Member since 2015 • 36 Posts

Yes, buy a Wii U. If you love Nintendo, them buy this console, I love it and I had it for almost 4 weeks.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@Ovirew: Its probably hard for the average gamer to afford more than one console per console generation. I just have the Wii U as a current generation console, and that is enough. I would rather have one console with several games instead of several consoles and only a few games. Having a 3DS allows you to play quality Nintendo games. I put the Wii U on layaway at GameStop last Christmas then was approved for a GameStop credit card ($300 maximum). After making some payments on the layaway for a month+ I paid the balance off with the credit card in time for Christmas. If you budget carefully by paying more than the minimum payment ($25) you should not get into trouble financially depending on your situation. At least you can play Wii U at your friend's house sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@Ovirew said:

What if I buy the Wii-U, only to have Nintendo turn around and port some more of these games to the 3DS or NX? I would actually prefer to play most games on the 3DS anyway.

This right here is a concern for me as well. At one point in my life I owned each of the 3 consoles; individually for a few months or so. As of now, I mainly game on PC, and I own just the Xbox One. I stuck with it as my main choice of console due to my closest friends having the console as well, and I figured I can pick up exclusives solely for it. But like you stated with the Nintendo, I'm noticing Microsoft is porting more games over to the PC. I mean I noticed Dead Rising 3 & Ryse off the top of my head last year, and apparently this year the PC is getting Killer Instinct & Gears of War. So than lately, I've been asking myself if I really need the Xbox One?

Now again, what you said Ovirew, is a concern for me because I was actually contemplating getting a Wii U. I felt like I could sell my Xbox One and pick up a Wii U, I know Nintendo won't port over it's exclusives to the PC and it'll solely stick with the Wii U. But like you mentioned, games being ported over to the 3DS, and we have the NX being announced next year, like I feel I should honestly just wait out this year. Despite me wanting to play Xenoblade Chronicles & Super Smash Bros.

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

Unless you want the chance to play splatoon while the community is still large, there is no reason to get one urgently.

You could always get it at the end of its lifespan and try to pick up the console and games cheaper, or see if there is NX backwards compatibility

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If I had not bought a Nintendo Wii U on launch day. November 18th 2012 I would not have bought one if I waited. I took a chance on Nintendo's 6th home console. But 3rd party support quickly died out. I bought 7 first party Nintendo games. and 10 third party games.

Overall the Wii U is a alright console. This is what Nintendo should have released way back in 2006. The console is equal to an Xbox 360 or PS3 but compared to Xbox one and PS4 it just is under powered so no third party ports.

So I would recommend you get a Wii U if you really enjoy Nintendo's first party games. Since other than 4 other publishers, Nintendo is the only one making games for the system. Even on the indie front, you are better off with a PS4, PC or even an Xbox one.

Plus the Gamepad does work as Nintendo states, just no one uses the features of the Gamepad, Plus it is still a large controller. light but large. Even Nintendo themselves have not used the gamepad very well. Other than NintendoLand not may games take advantage of the Gamepad features.

So I would have not bought a Wii U console if I waited. This is a console that should have been released much sooner that it was. Good console but in the wrong time.

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 L0rd_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 64 Posts

I would avoid it until more games come out, by that time there will hopefully be a price drop

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#31 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

What is making you think you want a Wii U?

Why haven't you bought one yet?