"Epic Mickey" concept art *56k*

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 striking_
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

For those who haven't seen ithere is concept art posted by a retired artist at Junction point involving its unannounced project Epic Mickey.

Seriously this is the coolest thing and I suggest you all look as so far this is a wii exclusive.

Holy BALLS!!!!

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

I really hope this stays exclusive, that art looks awesome, can't wait to see how the game pans out.

HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

I don't know why, but all these pics remind me of Kingdom Hearts. By the way, have they announced anything about any possible Kingdom Hearts games on home consoles?

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

I can't wait for this. Holy moly! Warren Spector + some twisted steampunk Disney tale? Hell yes! I would like to see it on other systems, though, as I would prefer to play it in HD.

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 striking_

Here is the rest for those interested. Seriously this game is almost to good to be true.

^File name: "Tomorrowland"

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 striking_

I can't wait for this. Holy moly! Warren Spector + some twisted steampunk Disney tale? Hell yes! I would like to see it on other systems, though, as I would prefer to play it in HD.

BioShockOwnz

Yeah I was surpised at this not being on the HD consoles but i'm sure they will get this to look great as it seems to have a lot of ambition.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's so grotesque and demented, I love it.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

BioShockOwnz

Yeah, Iwould alsolike to see this make its way onto an HD console, with such sick art style it would look awesome! Oh well its pretty early for this game so theirs still a chance for it to go multiplat!

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

This is the first time since I saw a Kingdom Hearts reference in House of Mouse that I thought Disney might actually be using the Mickey Mouse trademark for good.

It leads to one question though, why is disney the only third company taking the Wii seriously?

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
That Goofy looking thing looks goofy.
striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 striking_

Here is some investigaive reporting on the subject:

Could Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios be at work on a title about Disney's seminal Mickey Mouse?

Gamasutra has seen concept art and information that indicates a title codenamed "Epic Mickey" may be in development at the Austin-based, Disney-owned developer.

Concept art from early versions of the game that we viewed showed mockups of the potential game's environment, including pencil sketches of cities assembled from junk.

Another sketch included a surreal seashore invasion scene, in which machines wearing the faces of the Seven Dwarfs deposit old-fashioned renditions of Disney characters onto the beach with mechanical hands.

Though the kooky environmental concepts, with visible large cogs, gears and even a large fork that serves as a building's awning, are somewhat reminiscent of Disney's Toontown Online MMO, the images -- particularly the cloud-stained seaside painting -- have a distinctly shadowed, steampunk vibe.

This information ties up with an early 2008 report from EGM Magazine columnist Quartermann that noted: "Word is that Spector's new Disney project will be a platformer looking to compete with a certain pesky plumber. And who's big enough to take on Nintendo's star? Only the mouse himself!"

Providing more background, this summer, Spector mentioned on his own Junction Point weblog: "My team and I have been working hard on our own and (get ready for the cool factor to go way up) in collaboration with folks from Disney Feature Animation and Pixar."

Junction Point itself is wholly owned by Disney since its acquisition in 2007, giving it the potential to use leading in-house IP in its games, including that of Mickey Mouse.

Deus Ex co-creator Spector has never provided further information on his current project. But around the same time as the summer's weblog comments, Spector noted at the Game Education Summit that "one hundred hour games are on the way out", and that he was "so tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns."

However, it's unclear whether the ****of the concept art or the game's working title will fully carry through to this Junction Point project's conclusion -- or, indeed, exactly how far into development it is. Gamasutra will update with more information as it becomes available.

-------------------------------------------------------------

June 2009 article

Gamasutra had the chance to catch up with Graham Hopper, general manager of Disney Interactive Studios, and get an update on Warren Spector's Junction Point studio, its project, and how Disney's creative process is allowing Spector's creativity to flourish.

So: Warren Spector. What's up?

Graham Hopper: One of these days you'll find out.

Have to ask.

GH: Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

I hope it surpases galaxy after all nothing wrong with more quality platformers

-------------------------------------------------------------

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Now THAT, is art direction. High Voltage Software could learn a thing or two from this.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

that's some great art right there. Hopefully they can pull this off on the Wii. One might think this would look better on the HD consoles.

I wonder what kinda've genre it's going to be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

Looks like Goofy's gonna terminate something.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts

Now THAT, is art direction. High Voltage Software could learn a thing or two from this.

bob_newman
Except it looks nothing like Disney at all.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

TheLordMagnus

What are you talking about? That doesn't matter. Good art direction is good art direction.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

TheLordMagnus

And?
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Disney has broken the limits of badassery with this one....

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danger_ranger95

I'm glad they aren't using the typical toonDisney style with this game. I don't mind their designs, but this is much more appealing to me. It's makes things fresh, and creates a spooky atmosphere.

I mean, how can you not like that robotic, rotting Goofy shown above? Huh yuck!

it's like the Disney theme parks/universe was nuclear bombed, and this is the aftermath!

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
Those are some beautiful scenery. I am pretty sure the if the graphics will be as good as the concept art we could have some of the Wii's best graphics.
Phazon-Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phazon-Hunter
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts
That looks awesome! Hopefully the game will look as good the concept art.
Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
I love Disney. Heck I worked there for the Mouse this past semester. And this looks awesome! But, I can't imagine why Disney would let them have this guy take their wholesome image and turn it into that awesome monstrosity. (in a good way of course) Any expected release dates? 2010, 11? anyone else loving the Oswald the lucky rabbit reference.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#23 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

...Donald Duck must've woke up on the wrong side of the mattress...

ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

..............Epic!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
I wanted to add, maybe it isn't so crazy after all. Anyone remember Runaway Brain? That was pretty frightening as a kid. This is truly amazing.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TaMuK711

Wow.

I didn't realize this is from the same dude who created Deus Ex.

My hype for the game just tripled. AAA am confirmed?

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 striking_

that's some great art right there. Hopefully they can pull this off on the Wii. One might think this would look better on the HD consoles.

danger_ranger95

Its been comfirmed to be a platformer that the lead producer is hoping will rival Galaxy. I love the dark style. I'm wondering if the main character will be a Disney character or someone else in this twisted universe.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and name this game of this generation. I know nothing about it, except the art and folks behind it, but that's enough to have me zooming around in circles out of anticipation for this title. I hope it has remained a platformer.

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 danger_ranger95

[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

striking_

Its been comfirmed to be a platformer that the lead producer is hoping will rival Galaxy. I love the dark style. I'm wondering if the main character will be a Disney character or someone else in this twisted universe.

yeah, I'm already excited just by looking at the art

Hey, were you playing the Conduit on line yesterday by chance?

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SirSpudly

TaMuK711

Wait for at least a gameplay video before hyping something. For all we know disney took a look at these pictures and said "NO" and told spector to make the game look like Pokemon.

Considering how poorly their 10 year old ports are doing on the Wii (namely DDR), I would hope the company realized taking the console seriously was a positive in more ways than one.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TaMuK711

[QUOTE="TaMuK711"]

SirSpudly

Wait for at least a gameplay video before hyping something. For all we know disney took a look at these pictures and said "NO" and told spector to make the game look like Pokemon.

Considering how poorly their 10 year old ports are doing on the Wii (namely DDR), I would hope the company realized taking the console seriously was a positive in more ways than one.

I was half joking with the AAA... but seriously, Warren, freakin, Spector.

If this turns out not to be Wii exclusive, I'll lose all interest, but as of now it is, which means it is being built from the ground up FOR the Wii, not a PS2 port, not a 360 dumbdown.

Warren Spector.

That is all.

P.S. Google Deus Ex.

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 striking_

Wow.

I didn't realize this is from the same dude who created Deus Ex.

TaMuK711

You only had it at A :o This art alone is AAA, just so much to study about it I can't help but stare and theorise.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I really hope Mickey is the playable character. Not some spikey haired girl voiced by Haley Joel Osment.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SirSpudly

Warren Spector.

That is all.

P.S. Google Deus Ex.

TaMuK711

P.P.S. I remember when the name was John Romero, never forget.

striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 striking_

I really hope Mickey is the playable character. Not some spikey haired girl voiced by Haley Joel Osment.

OreoMilkshake

Yeah it will be interesting to see how mickey reacts to using his body as a model for all this demented stuff in the story. That being said this won't be the first time mickey's fought (not a reference to kingdom hearts) In Mickey;s Christmas special or somthing Mickey fought all the other Disney villins using his magic hat so he can get things done when he wants to.

HallowBastion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 HallowBastion
Member since 2004 • 9906 Posts

Yeah...that's freaking impressive. Definately interested.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#37 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Wow...definitely not somethingI would have expected fora Disney game. It does look pretty interesting though.

HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

Hey Hallow_Bastion, why does your name remind me of Kingdom Hearts?:P lol

But on topic, I hope this game is able to realize it's full potential and not have a GREAT artstyle, while not having the technical prowess to back it up. I don't want to get too hyped up for this game, so I'm just gonna' wait for some gameplay before I make any judgments.

ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

I really hope Mickey is the playable character. Not some spikey haired girl voiced by Haley Joel Osment.OreoMilkshake

Sora's alright and all, but Mickey would make an awesome protagonist!!!!!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

kenakuma

Yeah, Iwould alsolike to see this make its way onto an HD console, with such sick art style it would look awesome! Oh well its pretty early for this game so theirs still a chance for it to go multiplat!

I would kind of like to see it moved to an HD console as well. But if it stays Wii Exclusive this looks like it will be one awesome game and a day one buy.
Avatar image for Wolfman_chopper
Wolfman_chopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wolfman_chopper
Member since 2008 • 19937 Posts

Wow that looks awesome.I simply love the art style.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
If this is infact a platformer that would explain why they chose to go with the Wii, yeah it would look visually better on an HD console but this is a business after all, money is more important than how a game looks. You go with the console that saw a platformer sell near 10 millon copies, as oppossed to the one that saw a popular platforming name sink like a stone at retail and the other would be an expensive risk. Though I am surprised Disney would allow such leeway with the character design, I would assume Disney would have a vice grip on developers when creating games with Disney characters.
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
This game definitely looks interesting to say the least. I cant wait to see how it turns out.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
It's like someone at Disney grew a pair and didn't get them cut off, and is now finally being allowed to make something good with their inherent palette of properties.

BioShockOwnz
I have to agree. The idea of a game like this being on the Wii is great, but it would be such a waste to not have high def visuals... at the very least, something on Windows/Mac for it.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#45 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

Disney has broken the limits of badassery with this one....

bc1391
Let's just hope, and pray to [ insert deity here ] that they are allowed to continue and make this happen.

...Donald Duck must've woke up on the wrong side of the mattress...

Ovirew
Or the wrong side of this dimension, for that matter. :lol:
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

This is amazing stuff.

I love those weird contraptions (with the dwarfs heads, and a tea cup on the back). I also quite like the Disney Park references in theTommorowlandpicture.

This could be so good.

Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts

this looks simply amazing, wow.

KudoS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KudoS17
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts

Wow that looks amazing

lightblade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lightblade84
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

"Epic Mickey" really caught my attention when I caught the news of it. This artwork just blows my mind! It's so interesting and creepy! I am seriously looking forward to more information about the game. I'm quite interested in the storyline too...

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
[QUOTE="TheLordMagnus"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bob_newman

What are you talking about? That doesn't matter. Good art direction is good art direction.

So what's the point of even basing this on Disney (other than to add the Disney name for more sales?) if you aren't going to draw from the source material for inspiration? It makes no sense. This looks like some Tim Burton remix of Disney. I just don't think this sort of imagery works for Disney, sorry. Disney is not a dark, twisted world.