Question about 999 and zero escape..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I have both game carts with me.. From what I hear I need to play 999 multiple times to get the story.. Something I dont wanna do.. do I just go ahead and start zero escape... will it ruin the story? And I hear there is a bug on the 3ds version of Zero escape and I can avoid the bug by not saving in a puzzle room.. anyhting else to know about the 3ds version?

Thanks.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
I played 999 once because I wanted to jump in to Zero Escape. The story was very blurry but it's not completely necessary to see every ending to play Zero Escape. You do need to know some key parts however but as long as you can reach the room with the coffin you should have enough info. You could also cheat and watch the endings on youtube. I do recommend taking your time with 999 though because throughout the story there are some key plot points that you should learn about before playing Zero Escape. And yes, there is a room where if you save the data gets corrupted. To avoid this you can leave your DS in sleep mode or just play through the room puzzle.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
^wut^ Anyways, Zero Escape is the series' name. Yes, play 999 first, it's the better of the two games and has a better story. Virtue's Last Reward absolutely spoils 999 in an ending of its, heavily implying it's meant to be played after 999. 999's repitition's only problem is that you'll have to repeat a lot of text and a few puzzles again, which honestly is the smallest issue compared to its massive story payoff. The game's not outrageously long on each playthrough either and you'll want to skip the coffin ending; I don't know which madman would recommend getting that ending since it's not required at all. To avoid the glitch in VLR, just don't save in a certain room.
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 voljin1987
dayum.. i tried getting into 999 but the game is just too texty for me.. the text speed is also laboriously slow.. just reached the point where [spoiler] snake-eyes is missing and the team collectively decides to dump ace behind [/spoiler]
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]^wut^ Anyways, Zero Escape is the series' name. Yes, play 999 first, it's the better of the two games and has a better story. Virtue's Last Reward absolutely spoils 999 in an ending of its, heavily implying it's meant to be played after 999. 999's repitition's only problem is that you'll have to repeat a lot of text and a few puzzles again, which honestly is the smallest issue compared to its massive story payoff. The game's not outrageously long on each playthrough either and you'll want to skip the coffin ending; I don't know which madman would recommend getting that ending since it's not required at all. To avoid the glitch in VLR, just don't save in a certain room.

I got the coffin ending the first time when I had no idea what I was doing.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]^wut^ Anyways, Zero Escape is the series' name. Yes, play 999 first, it's the better of the two games and has a better story. Virtue's Last Reward absolutely spoils 999 in an ending of its, heavily implying it's meant to be played after 999. 999's repitition's only problem is that you'll have to repeat a lot of text and a few puzzles again, which honestly is the smallest issue compared to its massive story payoff. The game's not outrageously long on each playthrough either and you'll want to skip the coffin ending; I don't know which madman would recommend getting that ending since it's not required at all. To avoid the glitch in VLR, just don't save in a certain room.

THat is the way both games work. You won't know everything unless if you play them through multiple times. Well with Virtue's Last Reward you don't actually have to replay it you can pretty much just skip to the exact room you need to. 999 you do but it's also a shorter game.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The story was very blurry but it's not completely necessary to see every ending to play Zero Escape.Lyphe2k
I played Virtue's Last Reward without playing a bit of 999 - I'm currently at the (I think) final ending and so far the story hasn't been completely baffling. Various forums seem dead set on trying to convince me I've made the worst choice in human history, though. But hey, it was a PS+ freebie. I'll order and play 999 once I'm done and I'm sure I'll enjoy both. Maybe there are things I'll enjoy more playing the games backwards than others might have, elements a little more vague in VLR that might become overexplained when I play 999. I don't know.
Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

It's very worth playing through 999, it will definitley enhance VLR story in a way. You are able to fast forward through text youve already read when you start the new game. There is a way to beat 999 with only two playthroughs, so if you want I can tell you how, or you can find a walkthrough. The other endings are really aweseom though. The axe ending is amazingly and brutally creepy from a pshycological point of view, and the sub ending is pretty emotional, and also creepy. Is the text really that bad though? I enjoyed it, my only issue is the beeping noises can get a little annoying from the characters.

And for VLR, I played through it all without getting the bug. All i did was save during story segments. Just dont save during a puzzle and you should be fine.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Why the hell wouldn't you want to play 999? It's the superior game.  They're both awesome, but 999's story is overall tighter and more effective, and the story for the second game will be overall more "complete" if you play 999.

And yeah I just used an FAQ for the PEC room. Didn't wanna deal with the bug.

Think of it like this: If you wanted to read Game of Thrones, would you start with book three? No, you'd start at the first.  Same thing applies here.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
unless you get all the endings on 999, you are not getting to the end of the story. if you played The World Ends With You, think of each ending as one week on TWEWY. sure, the "game" ended, but the story isn't over, so you play the "game" again (IIRC, TWEWY does it 4 times). the difference is that TWEWY is set up linearly, whereas in 999 you have to do the "replaying" yourself. also the story in 999 is fantastic and so much better than VLR, and playing VLR before getting every ending on 999 (which shouldn't take more than 20 hours with a spoiler free ending guide like this one) would be a crime. VLR does the same thing (having to go through it multiple times), but it introduces mechanics and triggers that make it play like one single playthrough. also please, do not get the true ending (or the safe ending) on 999 until you've seen the 3 bad endings (though your first playthrough should be free of any guides, unless you get stuck in a room).
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BrunoBRS

dayum.. i tried getting into 999 but the game is just too texty for me.. the text speed is also laboriously slow.. just reached the point where [spoiler] snake-eyes is missing and the team collectively decides to dump ace behind [/spoiler] voljin1987
it's a visual novel, reading is what 90% of the game is about. VLR will be the same.

just play it as you'd read a book, instead of treating it like a game.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blabadon
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]^wut^ Anyways, Zero Escape is the series' name. Yes, play 999 first, it's the better of the two games and has a better story. Virtue's Last Reward absolutely spoils 999 in an ending of its, heavily implying it's meant to be played after 999. 999's repitition's only problem is that you'll have to repeat a lot of text and a few puzzles again, which honestly is the smallest issue compared to its massive story payoff. The game's not outrageously long on each playthrough either and you'll want to skip the coffin ending; I don't know which madman would recommend getting that ending since it's not required at all. To avoid the glitch in VLR, just don't save in a certain room.

So essentially you were on the route for the true ending but couldn't reach it because you had not hit the prerequisite ending. I would still recommend going for the other peripheral endings outside of the Safe and True Ending then
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]The story was very blurry but it's not completely necessary to see every ending to play Zero Escape.DJ_Lae
I played Virtue's Last Reward without playing a bit of 999 - I'm currently at the (I think) final ending and so far the story hasn't been completely baffling. Various forums seem dead set on trying to convince me I've made the worst choice in human history, though. But hey, it was a PS+ freebie. I'll order and play 999 once I'm done and I'm sure I'll enjoy both. Maybe there are things I'll enjoy more playing the games backwards than others might have, elements a little more vague in VLR that might become overexplained when I play 999. I don't know.

It's not that you'll be lost by playing VLR first, it's that you're spoiling the first game's story which is simply one of the greatest stories ever told and better than VLR's.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#14 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Yep. Play 999 first if for no other reason to avoid spoiling the story. It is also, in my opinion, very signifigantly better. Both are awesome though and I will be buying and playing the next one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]^wut^ Anyways, Zero Escape is the series' name. Yes, play 999 first, it's the better of the two games and has a better story. Virtue's Last Reward absolutely spoils 999 in an ending of its, heavily implying it's meant to be played after 999. 999's repitition's only problem is that you'll have to repeat a lot of text and a few puzzles again, which honestly is the smallest issue compared to its massive story payoff. The game's not outrageously long on each playthrough either and you'll want to skip the coffin ending; I don't know which madman would recommend getting that ending since it's not required at all. To avoid the glitch in VLR, just don't save in a certain room.

So essentially you were on the route for the true ending but couldn't reach it because you had not hit the prerequisite ending. I would still recommend going for the other peripheral endings outside of the Safe and True Ending then

Yea I got them all in like 2011 lol
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
just play 999, its not really playing it multiple times as the game changes and you just get to fast forward over any dialogue you've seen already anyway.
HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

As others have said you will want to play 999 through for all the endings to get the true and full story - minus the Coffin ending (waste of time in mine and others opinion). It is worth it and ties greatly into a key plot point of the game you discover in the true ending and even somewhat to parts of VLR if you aren't too picky. I won't mention/spoil what it is, but you pick up on things once you play both games and really think about everything. 

Then of course play VLR and at minimum get all of the required endings. This isn't as bad due to the ability to switch to any part of the game you have already finished. 

In response to the point about them being text heavy.... think of it as an interactive choose your own adventure book.

Both are great games, but I'm hoping the next Zero Escape ties the horror/gore/suspense of 999 with the sci-fi/fantasy/technology of VLR. That or have some sort of common ground as the story for the next one does seem quite doom and gloom.

I hope they tell us more about the next one soon :cry:.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Funny this thread popped up. I just started 999 since I finished Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I too have heard you need to play the game a number of times to get the proper ending. I was wondering, how long exactly is that going to take? I figured around 60ish hours. Is that a good estimate?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Funny this thread popped up. I just started 999 since I finished Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I too have heard you need to play the game a number of times to get the proper ending. I was wondering, how long exactly is that going to take? I figured around 60ish hours. Is that a good estimate?

Less than 20 for 999. After the first runthrough, you get to fast forward text. It's not as good as skipping text entirely, but it works well enough. My recommendation is to write down the first puzzle's answers somewhere. Saves you from trying to have to solve it five times.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Less than 20 for 999. After the first runthrough, you get to fast forward text. It's not as good as skipping text entirely, but it works well enough. My recommendation is to write down the first puzzle's answers somewhere. Saves you from trying to have to solve it five times.

Less than 20 hours if you get all the endings? If so that's not too bad.
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I have both game carts with me.. From what I hear I need to play 999 multiple times to get the story.. Something I dont wanna do.. do I just go ahead and start zero escape... will it ruin the story? And I hear there is a bug on the 3ds version of Zero escape and I can avoid the bug by not saving in a puzzle room.. anyhting else to know about the 3ds version?

Thanks.

voljin1987
If you don't want to play through it multiple times you could always look up the endings too :P.
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 voljin1987
[QUOTE="voljin1987"]

Thanks.

RatedSTARZ
If you don't want to play through it multiple times you could always look up the endings too :P.

I think i am gonna do that :P the story might be great but boy these characters speak too much :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Less than 20 for 999. After the first runthrough, you get to fast forward text. It's not as good as skipping text entirely, but it works well enough. My recommendation is to write down the first puzzle's answers somewhere. Saves you from trying to have to solve it five times.

Less than 20 hours if you get all the endings? If so that's not too bad.

took me ~5 hours i guess for my first ending, which i achieved in a couple weeks of playing it casually. i finished all other endings on the next 3 days.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="voljin1987"]

Thanks.

RatedSTARZ

but it doesn't work like that, a lot of stuff is dropped halfway through the story :/
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 voljin1987
this is what happens.. i start a new game.. the ppl talk and talk and talk.. i realize i just dont care.. i go to another game.. by the time i come back here.. i start a new game and the cycle continues :(
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] took me ~5 hours i guess for my first ending, which i achieved in a couple weeks of playing it casually. i finished all other endings on the next 3 days.

Good to hear. I was under the assumption that it was much longer lol.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS
this is what happens.. i start a new game.. the ppl talk and talk and talk.. i realize i just dont care.. i go to another game.. by the time i come back here.. i start a new game and the cycle continues :(voljin1987
it's a visual novel. all you'll do is read. the idea is that it's like an interactive book, "choose your own adventure" style, not a game.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turtlethetaffer

this is what happens.. i start a new game.. the ppl talk and talk and talk.. i realize i just dont care.. i go to another game.. by the time i come back here.. i start a new game and the cycle continues :(voljin1987

Then the entire genre is simply not for you.  If you don't like reading, then the game simply is not your thing.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 voljin1987

[QUOTE="voljin1987"]this is what happens.. i start a new game.. the ppl talk and talk and talk.. i realize i just dont care.. i go to another game.. by the time i come back here.. i start a new game and the cycle continues :(turtlethetaffer

Then the entire genre is simply not for you.  If you don't like reading, then the game simply is not your thing.

I have had a lot of fun with pheonix wright and layton series which while not visual novels do have a lot of reading.. i have also played games like danganronpa and disgaea infinite on the psp which are visual novels.. compared to the other games i have played, the text speed in 999 is just soo slow.. and the descriptions.. oh god. its takes forever
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="voljin1987"]this is what happens.. i start a new game.. the ppl talk and talk and talk.. i realize i just dont care.. i go to another game.. by the time i come back here.. i start a new game and the cycle continues :(voljin1987

I have had a lot of fun with pheonix wright and layton series which while not visual novels do have a lot of reading.. i have also played games like danganronpa and disgaea infinite on the psp which are visual novels.. compared to the other games i have played, the text speed in 999 is just soo slow.. and the descriptions.. oh god. its takes forever

Don't really know what to say. I personally thought it was enthralling.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Maybe the game is too serious to you? How quirky and silly are the other visual novels you played? Because I know professor layton and phoenix wright have a lighthearted and humorous tone a lot of times. There are a few funny moments in 999, but in the end it's a serious mystery game about survival and deep science theory stuff that makes you think.