Purpose of the second analog

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daiyume
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

From my experience, the same effect can be achieved by using your right-thumb on the touch-screen to act as an analog and it feels very natural. Anyone who has played RE:Mercs 3D knows this. The touch-screen controls on RE:Mercs achieved everything the dual analog controls did on Resident Evil 5 PS3, so what is the point of this add-on? What can this second analog do that the touch-screen controls couldn't, enough to warrant this controversial add-on and an eventual revision that includes it?

The DS did just fine without analog controls and yet Nintendo feels the need to add not one, but two for the 3DS. I'm hoping its just a preference thing, to be able to provide as many players with as many comfortable control options possible. Since they made the decision to include it, its unfortunate they somehow didn't think of this sooner and include it in the base model to begin with. What are your opinions and thoughts on the purpose of this second analog?

One thing is for sure, the leap from 3DS to 3DS Lite is going to be on a much larger scale than DS to DS Lite.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I agree. I really hope that the second stick is purely optional, as the CC for the Wii. I hate those kind of accessories an even more when just few or one game support it I expect MH3G not to require it at all. From the last interview I'm counting on it!
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It's only to make it more comfortable for players to maneuver underwater in MHTriG. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd didn't have swimming and underwater combat because the PSP lacked a 2nd analog. It looks like it's completely optional, just like the CC Pro, since you can move the camera with the touchscreen. I doubt it will be necessary for many games.

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

as long as it's optional i'm fine with it. if it isn't nintendo has some 'splaining to do!

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Its an alternate control option, no different from the CC, a fight stick etc. Its good for those who don't want to use the touch screen or lefties who for some odd reason claim to be incapable. That's it, they may stick it in the next model and if you feel that you've been cheated because of that, you have the wrong hobby; because it has always been that way and this generation it even spread to consoles, with 900 different versions of the HD consoles. Even if it is added to the next model, developers would be forced to provide touch screen controls as the point of gaming hardware(minus very few exceptions) is once you have the hardware, publishers have access to 100% of the audience, so their not going to be making games that only have dual analog support.
glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

Its an alternate control option, no different from the CC, a fight stick etc. Its good for those who don't want to use the touch screen or lefties who for some odd reason claim to be incapable. That's it, they may stick it in the next model and if you feel that you've been cheated because of that, you have the wrong hobby; because it has always been that way and this generation it even spread to consoles, with 900 different versions of the HD consoles. Even if it is added to the next model, developers would be forced to provide touch screen controls as the point of gaming hardware(minus very few exceptions) is once you have the hardware, publishers have access to 100% of the audience, so their not going to be making games that only have dual analog support. Sepewrath

so its like the powerglove of the 3DS. I hope you are right!

Rafandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rafandrews
Member since 2007 • 268 Posts
LMAO Awesome comparison.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
From my experience, the same effect can be achieved by using your right-thumb on the touch-screen to act as an analog...daiyume
You most certainly can. Unfortunately, until they come up with a way to make my fingers invisible, I end up missing out on something on the lower screen(kind of important if your bottom screen doubles as a minimap. However, there are also instances where devs(Ubisoft!) Mapped the camera control to the face buttons. I'm assuming in the case of Splinter Cell 3D it has to do with mapping the touchscreen entirely to weapon/gadget management. I personally like using the touchscreen for camera control, however, I feel like it limits input options since in 90% of shooters the face buttons serve as 'lefty movement' keys.
Mii_ller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mii_ller
Member since 2011 • 238 Posts

the purpose of the second analog is to get money and piss off people who have to buy it to play games.

Avatar image for anothrgamer1234
anothrgamer1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anothrgamer1234
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

the purpose of the second analog is to get money and piss off people who have to buy it to play games.

Mii_ller
Not very good at this trolling thing, are you?
Mii_ller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mii_ller
Member since 2011 • 238 Posts

[QUOTE="Mii_ller"]

anothrgamer1234

I'm not trolling. I've been a Nintendo fanboy for 10 years, and what nintendo is doing with the 3DS is really pissing me off.

Avatar image for anothrgamer1234
anothrgamer1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 anothrgamer1234
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Mii_ller"]

[QUOTE="anothrgamer1234"][QUOTE="Mii_ller"]

I'm not trolling. I've been a Nintendo fanboy for 10 years, and what nintendo is doing with the 3DS is really pissing me off.

Sorry about that- I'm still trying to keep in mind that this isn't GameFAQs. Anyhow, it's not clear if it'll be absolutely necessary to play any games just yet. But if it is, I'll be just as mad about it as you are.
yosat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yosat
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

- Enhanced gameplay, as in Kid Icarus: Uprising.
- It makes easier for 3rd parties to release multiplatform games on 3DS.
- Now 3DS has the same buttons as a Wii U controller. Think about the next Smash Bros, just as an example.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Some people prefer not to use the touch screen... The one thing I hate MOST on the DS is when developers force me to use the stylus for something that could easily be done with the dpad. Call me old fashioned
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I also believe the touch pad works really well. The DS doesnt need a 2nd analog nub. The touch pad IMO works just as well.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

you think they will patch resi mercineries for the 2nd analog when it releases?

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 daiyume

[QUOTE="daiyume"]From my experience, the same effect can be achieved by using your right-thumb on the touch-screen to act as an analog...El_Zo1212o
You most certainly can. Unfortunately, until they come up with a way to make my fingers invisible, I end up missing out on something on the lower screen(kind of important if your bottom screen doubles as a minimap. However, there are also instances where devs(Ubisoft!) Mapped the camera control to the face buttons. I'm assuming in the case of Splinter Cell 3D it has to do with mapping the touchscreen entirely to weapon/gadget management. I personally like using the touchscreen for camera control, however, I feel like it limits input options since in 90% of shooters the face buttons serve as 'lefty movement' keys.

I guess its just a preference thing in this case where you would benefit much more from a second analog than I would since we have different playstyles. I always find the time for a quick glance when I feel the need to on the minimap during animations (climbing a ladder or doing a melee), so my thumb is never in the way. Its actually gotten to the point where I have all the maps memorized without ever needing to check the minimap.

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daiyume

you think they will patch resi mercineries for the 2nd analog when it releases?

KBFloYd

Capcom is pretty lazy these days, I wouldn't count on it =.=;;