Proof of Wii overheating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

calref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 calref
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

Okay so I'm going to stir the pot once more in the long argued debate about how the Wii *might* overheat, giving people that weird green graphic glitch.
I know a lot of people have stated they leave their Wii withConnect24 on all the time and it works just fine and other say they have had to replace their Wii and they suspect it might be overheating. Then I hear the first group tell them they are wrong, the Wii does not overheat even if you leave Connect24 on all the time or not.

Well the following review of the cooling fan Nyko makes mentioned that in their office they have experienced graphical glitching due to overheating so I thought it might be good to raise this debate once more

http://gear.ign.com/articles/829/829592p1.html

"as we've discovered first hand, locking the system up in an entertainment cabinet will eventually cause it to run too hot and damage its GPU, which results in a weird pixel glitching error"

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
"Locking the system up in an entertainment cabinat"... well yeah, I wouldn't advise doing that to begin with. A device like the Wii needs a lot more cool air flowing around than say your cable box.
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts
Yeah, my Wii had a read disk error problem and now it has an overheating one. It's very minor, you only notice the pixels in games like Super Mario 64 (when looking at a tree up-close), Resident Evil, and Mario Strikers during the mega strikes. I sent it in to Nintendo. I was kind of paranoid before and I said it probably would happen if I left it on and then JAYSONGUY said it was rare and it would probably never happen so I started leaving it on and then it happens.... lol.
BrokenPezHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BrokenPezHead
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts

This is becomeing the big problem with the new consoles, everyone has an old entertainment center that's not designed for systems with fans that need cooling (the same thing is happenning with cable and satalite recievers) but hopefully a good intercooler will make it fine. I'm probobly going to pick one up because I'm a paranoid SOB, but I've had man on Wii Connect 24 since May and no problems.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Well see the thing has a fan for a reason, basically they were trying to make it overheat by stuffing it in such a hot confined place. Your not suppose to stuff electronics in places like that, I cant say that Wii's dont overheat ever. But I can say that there are things that a Wii owner can do to make thier system overheat.
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts

that ur proof lmfao

neji122793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neji122793
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
i don't know if its over heating problems but my wii was fine i played Zelda for an hour the the next day it says systems files are corrupted and now need to send it two Nintendo the guy said it going to take 2 and a half weeks to get back and i got it only 3 weeks ago
rogeliozim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 rogeliozim
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts
Well my unit started to overheat 1 month after I got it, and it only overheated on stand-by. And one day I decied to check the temp. by sticking a thermometer in to the heatsink and I got a temp. of 101º! so I was like holy S%#t so I got the Gamestop Wii fan-stand and that fixed the problem. Just if your wondering the Gamestop fan stand works nice and It looks really cool, almost like a really cool gaming comp. I also heard that because of the high demand of the Wii, Nintendo had to use cheaper more "overheat able" materials, wich would make sence, but I'm not totaly sure.
Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
dont put your wii in small hot places unless you have protection, like tat fan for instance :o
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts
I'm going to go turn off WiiConnect 24/7 now....
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

There isn't a debate there is one answer.

Some of the Wii's made do not have the heatsink placed correctly. That means that no matter what you do it's going to overheat. Wiiconnect or just playing every so often if it can't get the heat away from the board it's going to overheat.

There is no problem with all Wii's and there is no problem with design. It's a problem that some of the heatsinks weren't connected correctly.

"Stir the pot", more like pass on the unfounded rumor

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

i don't know if its over heating problems but my wii was fine i played Zelda for an hour the the next day it says systems files are corrupted and now need to send it two Nintendo the guy said it going to take 2 and a half weeks to get back and i got it only 3 weeks agoneji122793

System files or save game files? Cause often the save game file error isn't real you just retry to load the save and it works.

Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts

I'm going to go turn off WiiConnect 24/7 now....Yarcofin

Ok so I just turned off WiiConnect and took out the disc that I left in the Wii... it was warm. The sides of the console were actually warm as well. So I have actually unplugged it, I figure it needs some cooldown if it's been doing that for the past several months straight. It's been about 5 minutes and the side is still warm.

Packfan104L4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Packfan104L4
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

I've had WC24 turned on since I got the console at the beginnign of June and I've been fine. Don't stick your console in an inclosed space. You wouldn't put your cat in a tupperware container witht he lid on now would you?

Use some common sense people!

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThePlothole

I've had WC24 turned on since I got the console at the beginnign of June and I've been fine. Don't stick your console in an inclosed space. You wouldn't put your cat in a tupperware container witht he lid on now would you?

Packfan104L4

You might if your name was Erwin Schrödinger! [/vague science/stargate reference]

Packfan104L4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Packfan104L4
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
[QUOTE="Packfan104L4"]

ThePlothole

You might if your name was Erwin Schrödinger! [/vague science/stargate reference]

:p I actually get the Stargate ref

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
It's not a vauge science referance at all. It's quantum physics reference.
supergamerfats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 supergamerfats
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
My wii locked up once. I didnt care much. Just restarted it and i worked fine. I guess i learned my leaseon dont leave your wii on the firplace
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThePlothole

It's not a vauge science referance at all. It's quantum physics reference. meimnobody

I figured it'd be vague for this forum. Guess I was wrong.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
my connect24 has been on almost every day since the day I got my wii last november. It gets a little warm, but not outside normal range. Its never had a problem. I keep my wii out in the open too.
Dragster61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dragster61
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
My Wii is on for morning to night everyday and it doesn't heat. It does get a little warm but it doesn't overheat and stops working or anything like that. My Wiiconnect is on 24/7 too and i didn't experience any problems.
Viictoriio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Viictoriio
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
Wasn't this problem LEH-related?
carnage646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carnage646
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
mine over heated once, but caused no damage, it hasnt happened again but i keep the heat issue in mind
Hynaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hynaboy
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

My Wii has been running without a hitch and non stop since the midnight arrival on launch! Like who sticks a thermometer into their games system to check the heat of it! Most poeple who own a wii and have problems are people who dont take care of their machines as well as they should. It is not like the trouble with the 360 where it just decides to crap itself whenever it wants!

Hynaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hynaboy
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts
And my 360 did that and since I got it fixed it also has worked like a dream. Not knocking the 360 at all but it has that problem which the Wii doesnt. Higher tech hardware i suppose makes things a bit harder to pack in and work as consistently.
vgshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vgshine
Member since 2006 • 463 Posts
I've had my Wii since launch day and there's no noticeable problems whatsoever so far. But I'll probably get the Niko fan anyway just for a little more insurance.