Professor Layon: Diabolical Box v Curious Village **MAJOR SPOILERS**

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

Having stayed up till 2 last night finishing the story mode of diabolical box, i've got to say i loved the game. My question for you is which one did you think was better?

I felt that the puzzles overall were better in DB. even though it had alot of chain puzzles, they seemed to be more relevant to the story this time around. I also liked the collectible items more this time, as the hamster and tea set are interactive, although i do miss furnishing their rooms.

While i feel that DB has better gameplay than CV, i thought the first game had a better story. The twist at the end with all the people being robots really suprised me, and it made me go back through the game in my mind, thinking of all the things that made sense with this newfound knowlege. The end of DB wasnt quite the same for me. The halloucenogen (sp?) confused me more than it explained anything. i understood why luke and the professor saw anton the way he was, because of his picture, but why did anton see himself as a young adult? did the townspeople see their city the way look and layton did, or did they just choose not to keep their town in good shape?

I also didnt understand how the story of the box began. if it just made people hallucinate, how did the story start? someone had to "die" from opening it before people would start halluncinating that it would happen.

all in all, i loved the game, but i thought the ending of CV provided more closure than this one.

Avatar image for destinys_martyr
destinys_martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 destinys_martyr
Member since 2004 • 126 Posts

Wife is currently playing this now, will chime back in when she finishes and get her opinion.

I'm busy playing IL-2 that just came out. :D

Bear_in_Action

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bear_in_Action
Member since 2009 • 1937 Posts
I absolutely LOVE this series. Huge huge fan. Always happy to see someone enjoys it as much as I do =) I do agree that DB's story isn't as well-rounded, and the mood is constantly dark. However, the town is much bigger to explore, and the puzzles are great fun. Highly recommend for people that love puzzles, or people who are looking for a relaxed pass-time. (while the puzzles aren't exactly relaxing... the music is. lol)
shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I felt very much the same way. While I liked most of the puzzles in DB more, and enjoyed the larger variety of locations, the story did not grab me as much. I felt a lot more invested in the CV story and characters. While CV appeared very straightforward, the twist with the robots was so out of nowhere. DB already had so many out there things that it felt like "oh so instead on X weird thing, it was Y weird thing? OK".

Avatar image for deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
Member since 2009 • 9489 Posts
I loved curious village and i still need to get 'Pandoras Box' as its called here....
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#6 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I really can't choose. They are very similar games and I loved both.

SynGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SynGrim
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Both were fun, but I guess I'll give CV the nod. CV has a better story, though DB I thought had prettier visuals, mainly because the city was so colorfull.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

Hard to say.

As you said the story wasn't as good. I especially disliked

SPOILERS!

The part where Don Paulo is revealed, and then he just drops the box. So dumb! And even worse, he never showed up! I really disliked that he escaped from Layton and yet he never came back into the story.

I also disliked that Layton found out who Paulo was on the spot. I liked it more in Curious Village when Layton used dozens of clues he got throughout the story whereas here he had no idea and just got lucky and found out who he was on the spot.

END SPOILERS

I also thought the puzzles weren't as good, but only on the beginning. I thought once you got to the end of dropstone and start of folense and then on the puzzles got much much better.

Despite this I liked the minigames more (hamster FTW) and I thought the soundtrack was much better then the first game. Also the movies were way better in quality and length and the game also just felt longer to me.

So it's tough to choose, I give Curious Village a great story and slightly better puzzles, but I give Diabolical Box better movies, music, and minigames.

However, when it comes down to it, I feel the story and puzzles matter more then the others, so while I tough to choose, I will say that Curious Village is the better of the two.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I loved them both. I actually tryed to figure out the answers for each puzzle in DB compared to CV so I felt better playing DB. I also loved the storyline in DB alot more then CV. I liked changing towns too. I like the camera minigame in DB but the room decor game in CV is great too.

I liked DB's story a lot more but the characters in CV are a lot more memorable.

**SPOILERS**

I love, love, loved Anton in DB. I was literally drooling over him. Until I found out he was really an old man.

The story made me cry though.

Too bad. He was so close to being a sexier vampire then Edwardo.

What made me worry a little bit is how the Professor and Luke were suppose to be taking care of Flora, yet when she pops up on the train, they're like "lolwut who's that. What are you doing here, Flora? Go back home and get in your cage!"

And then they forget her back at that farm. They wouldn't make very good parents lol.

Despite this I liked the minigames more (hamster FTW) and I thought the soundtrack was much better then the first game. Also the movies were way better in quality and length and the game also just felt longer to me.

idkijustcopyandpasted

This too. Except I finished the game in like, two days. Solved every puzzle I found and made sure I got full points for t. And I never used hint coins, haha. Plus, I didn't have a computer at the time to look up answers. -endofbrag-

But my sister's boyfriend, who is soehow incredible with puzzles, solved every one I couldn't get on his first try.

**ENDSPOILERS**