Pokemon X and Y, Download Version or Physical?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Day_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Day_Gun
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
So, I am going to buy Pokemon Y soon, and the only way I would be able to get it on release day is by downloading it from the eShop, but I've heard a lot of people say not to do that. I know about the memory size (I have a 16 GB SD so no problem), but what other reason is there to not download it? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to hold it, but I don't care too much, I'd rather get it on release day. Is there any way the digital version is worse than the physical? Can it not do something the physical can? I will get the physical if I have to, but I'd rather download it if there's nothing wrong with it.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying digitally, but it's a bit risky because accounts are tied to the console. So if you lose your 3DS, you lose everything you downloaded, unless you have a nintendo club account tied to the system and nintendo is feeling generous. 

This is a game that'll give me alot of value in the long term, so this is a more convenient approach for me to download it.

Day_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Day_Gun

Nothing wrong with buying digitally, but it's a bit risky because accounts are tied to the console. So if you lose your 3DS, you lose everything you downloaded, unless you have a nintendo club account tied to the system and nintendo is feeling generous. 

This is a game that'll give me alot of value in the long term, so this is a more convenient approach for me to download it.

thetravman
Thanks for the reassuring response, but I did hear something about the local communications working differently, like the digital version wasn't able to connect to a game card version? I just want to make sure I get it right to avoid wasting 40 bucks.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I was going digitally, but decided not too because the game will be tied to the system and I will spending a lot of time and effort into the game. If something were to happen to my console, I would lose everything.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I was going digitally, but decided not too because the game will be tied to the system and I will spending a lot of time and effort into the game. If something were to happen to my console, I would lose everything.Soulreavercross
This. I would hate to loose all my gameplay hours if something happens to my 3DS. Another reason why I don't want to download is because once XY's successor comes out (probably next year), I'll no longer play Y. I'd rather put it on a shelf than have it waste SD card space.

The digital and physical copies are the same and I haven't heard anything about the digital version having local wireless issues. It all depends on your preferences. If you want it digital, go digital.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I rarely download games on 3DS. Nintendo systems are not reliable for downloading games, in my opinion. Only exception was FE:A and SMT4.
Day_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Day_Gun

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]I was going digitally, but decided not too because the game will be tied to the system and I will spending a lot of time and effort into the game. If something were to happen to my console, I would lose everything.ANIMEguy10034

This. I would hate to loose all my gameplay hours if something happens to my 3DS. Another reason why I don't want to download is because once XY's successor comes out (probably next year), I'll no longer play Y. I'd rather put it on a shelf than have it waste SD card space.

The digital and physical copies are the same and I haven't heard anything about the digital version having local wireless issues. It all depends on your preferences. If you want it digital, go digital.

Also, the fact that Pokemon Bank is coming out soon helps, I usually don't play the latest Pokemon game for a few months when a new one is coming out soon, so I could just put em all up there and not worry.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]I was going digitally, but decided not too because the game will be tied to the system and I will spending a lot of time and effort into the game. If something were to happen to my console, I would lose everything.ANIMEguy10034
This. I would hate to loose all my gameplay hours if something happens to my 3DS. Another reason why I don't want to download is because once XY's successor comes out (probably next year), I'll no longer play Y. I'd rather put it on a shelf than have it waste SD card space.The digital and physical copies are the same and I haven't heard anything about the digital version having local wireless issues. It all depends on your preferences. If you want it digital, go digital.

Right. I'm tempted to go digital myself, but I think I'll wait for this gen's definitive Pokémon game. Hopefully Nintendo will have implemented a unified account system by then.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I'm getting the digital version because I got the $30 for purchasing SMT4 and FE:A so all I have to do add is $10 and I'm all set. :D