Play original Majora's Mask before I play the remake?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

airapostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 airapostle
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Okay here's where I'm at: I love Zelda but have never played thru MM for whatever reason. Anyway, it turns out my friend pre-ordered the limited edition MM remake for 3ds and is sending it to me as a bday gift. I was gonna play thru the original before the remake came out (thinking I had plenty of time) but then Nintendo went ahead and announced the remake is coming out in less than a month.

So my question is, should I still play through the original in order to enjoy the differences in the remake more? Or should I just hold my horses and play through the remake when I have it? Keeping in mind that this would be my first time with MM, what's the wiser choice from a game appreciation perspective?

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

I personally think that there would be no point playing the original if your going to play the remake afterwards. It is going to be a "remake" which essentially means it's the same game just with updated graphics, formulas etc. (I think)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

This is the same game but the New 3DS XL version of Majora's Mask has improved graphics over the Nintendo 64 original. Plus the 3D effects added to the game. But otherwise Legend of Zelda MM is the same across 1998 and 2015 version.

But I would get both if possible to compare. The original N64 cart can be found for $50.00 or so. Not to far from the $44.99 for the N3DS XL SD card.

But I wonder if Nintendo did add new things other than just improved graphics?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

If you have grown accustomed to modern camera controls, I'd recommend the new one--I remember seeing that it allows for 360 degree rotation.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

NO!

That's an emphatic no.

Just play the remake. There's no reason to appreciate the dumb faults of the original version when the new version fixes them. The core of the game is the same, and that's the part of it worth appreciating.

airapostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 airapostle

Thanks for the help! I think i'm gonna go ahead wait until the remake comes out to play it, preferably on the shiny new new 3ds lol

airapostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By airapostle

@JordanElek: haha that's pretty much the answer i was looking for. Not to trash the original, but if the remake has better graphics *and* sands over the parts of the game that havent aged well i might as well play that first.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

no...play the remake. it will be better.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Naw there is no reason too really unless you can't stand the small screen(This is stupid excuse that I never understood, bring the screen closer to your face....)

The oot remake is better in nearly every way except no blood or chanting like the original.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@YoshiYogurt: lol they had taken the blood out long before the remake though, they took it out on the second print of the game. Anyway, yeah like others said, there would be no benefit in doing so.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt

@Sepewrath said:

@YoshiYogurt: lol they had taken the blood out long before the remake though, they took it out on the second print of the game. Anyway, yeah like others said, there would be no benefit in doing so.

I know, I have the gamecube port.... MOST N64 copies have it though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@YoshiYogurt said:

Naw there is no reason too really unless you can't stand the small screen(This is stupid excuse that I never understood, bring the screen closer to your face....)

The oot remake is better in nearly every way except no blood or chanting like the original.

Na I disagree. If you've got a good CRT and sound setup the N64 version is still recommended. Playing on a 5 inch screen does not have the same effect as playing on a 20+ inch screen in a room filled with the music of Zelda. Ocarina....for some reason works with simulated surround--something I generally don't like. Enter the Deku Tree it is like you are inside the dang thing, too.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 YoshiYogurt

@Heirren said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

Na I disagree. If you've got a good CRT and sound setup the N64 version is still recommended. Playing on a 5 inch screen does not have the same effect as playing on a 20+ inch screen in a room filled with the music of Zelda. Ocarina....for some reason works with simulated surround--something I generally don't like. Enter the Deku Tree it is like you are inside the dang thing, too.

I do have a CRT for my retro setup but I prefer some good headphones, 3D on and laying in bed to a TV, which is why I typically enjoy handheld games very much, even in the gameboy era (worm light!!)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@YoshiYogurt said:

@Heirren said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

I do have a CRT for my retro setup but I prefer some good headphones, 3D on and laying in bed to a TV, which is why I typically enjoy handheld games very much, even in the gameboy era (worm light!!)

I do the same. Really got sucked into Link Between Worlds and I'm still on the launch 3DS. I just meant to say I'd still recommend it. N64 had really good audio and can properly be amped. One of my issues with 3DS is that the audio output could be a bit better. It isn't bad, but I actually don't use the Sennheiser HD600s with it. Instead I picked up a pair of momentums almost specifically for 3DS.

Right on with the gameboy. I had the Pocket. Shame the US never got the Light. Whenever I pass by a shop I always check for one.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

No, I think you're in a good position. Just play the new one and enjoy it. You'll get more out of a polished MM instead of a unpolished MM then some minor novelty of comparing the difference.

Besides, you can play the old version second if you really want to compare differences.

Avatar image for deactivated-593f0dd1837f9
deactivated-593f0dd1837f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 deactivated-593f0dd1837f9
Member since 2014 • 93 Posts

Play the new enhanced edition, because there really isn't that much of a difference between the original and the remake. Apart from the bosses being supposidly a little easier, 2 new fishing holes, different saves, the Song of Double time allowing you to skip hours as well as days in the remake. Story is exactly the same.

Refresh220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Refresh220
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:
The original N64 cart can be found for $50.00 or so.

Or he could just get it on Virtual Console for much cheaper.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Playing the original just before would take away a lot of the enjoyment of playing the remake!