People only buy what they know (don't bother reading if you're illiterate)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I know that with the release of No More Heroes approaching (in fact, it comes out tomorrow I believe), many people on the Wii forums are concerned about the amount of success it will achieve in terms of sales. People are worried that it will be a financial flop.

This is natural thinking, of course, as we have seen the very same fate occur to Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaro's Treasure, as well as Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, and I can understand that people want to do something about it.

Being on the Wii forums is a blessing in a way: we get to hear about these games, we can talk about them, and we can get all of the information we need (including reviews from both critics and fellow gamers). Unfortunately, it's also a curse.

We know that these games are going to flop, and that upsets many of the avid gamers around here. Of course we want to see as many great 3rd party efforts as possible, but many of us feel that if lesser-known games fall between the cracks, we won't see much 3rd party support that appeal to the community in the future.

Sadly, there are only so many people that we can reach in the gaming community. Even if every single person on Gamespot's Wii Forums bought the game, it still wouldn't crack the top 10 in the weekly sales chart. It is something that is beyond our control, and posting a thread about it will only get you so far.

It's a sad world when the highest selling games for the Wii are often either well-established franchises, or games that appeal to a mass market, but that's just the way that things work in society.

People only buy what they know.

That is how it has always been. People don't like change, and they're comfortable with the names that they trust. That's why Mario, Zelda, Guitar Hero, Resident Evil, and the like, are the best selling games on the console thus far.

The general public (and I'm not just talking about "casuals", I'm talking about the millions of people who don't go on forums and discuss every game that comes out) has never heard of No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, or even Metroid (albeit to a lesser extent).

Why is this? Well, for starters, where would they ever have had a chance to hear about them? They're not going on forums and reading about them. They don't even know that some of these games exist, and even if they do, they don't know a thing about them (other than the fact that they saw the box sitting on the shelf at Toys R Us). But I can bet you that they might know a thing or two about Hannah Montana, or High-school Musical, and would pick one of those up without learning a thing about the gameplay (or lack thereof).

It shouldn't be up to us to make a "Buy (Your Game Here) Campaign", it should be up to the developers to let their game be known. They have to make commercials for their games, or they won't sell. They have to get the word out. Television ads are the only reason why Red Steel broke a million sales.

Would you expect a movie to sell out if nobody had ever heard anything about it? Of course not, and with the fact that the general public are starting to look at gaming as a more acceptable form of entertainment (and not just "for nerds", as it used to be), the video game companies have to understand that and advertise on TV, Newspapers, and even at the movies. It's time for a change, not from us, but from the publishers.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Tell me your view, and by all means, let me know if you think I'm wrong.

spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
No More Heroes could easily sell as many copies as Red Steel if the game had the same promotion.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

The thing is if a game gets reasonable sales, it will make the developers think about a sequel. Seeing as there's been a few great third party Wii games lately that haven't sold well, it's dissapointing to think such a cool game will just die away and never be heard of again.

A few people on GS forums promoting the game may not be that much, but if you add up every small thing that makes the game known more, it could end up well.

Also if a game gets a sequel it's more likely the game will get some proper advertising and turn it into a well known franchise. It's really annoying noticing the ignorance of developers when they blame everything but themselves about their games not selling well.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I agree with Bob. It doesn't matter how much it's hyped here if there is no marketing for the game, which there isn't, as far as I can see. I try to recommend Zack and Wiki every chance that I get, and will probably do the same for NMH.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I only really watch TV for sports any more, and I don't see many game commercials then. Bioshock and Uncharted are the only two games I can remember seeing a commercial for in a loooong time.

I agree that proper marketing could help these games tremendously, with the exception of Zack and Wiki. I think a good advertising campaign would've only helped a little, since most people would still see the general presentation of the game and immediately be turned off.

No More Heroes, however, would be much more appealing. It has action and humor, two things that can easily be marketed through a creative advertising campaign. Anti-videogame nuts would be up-in-arms about a No More Heroes commercial, I'm sure, but that shouldn't stop the publisher from doing it.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
What saddens me more, is that some people on Gamespot won't buy the game because of reasons like: "It's ugly." Same thing happened with Zack and Wiki, with gamers saying it was "too kiddy." (I do regret not buying that game, but I needed the money for other uses... I still need to rent it.) It's very true that it's up to the publisher. If Suda failed in Japan, then he should strengthen his awareness here.
jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts
No More Heroes, however, would be much more appealing. It has action and humor, two things that can easily be marketed through a creative advertising campaign. Anti-videogame nuts would be up-in-arms about a No More Heroes commercial, I'm sure, but that shouldn't stop the publisher from doing it.

JordanElek

That's a good thing. If there's a healthy amount of controversy, it will boost interest in the game. Why do you think Manhunt sold well? Its not like it was a great game or anything, and GTA wouldn't have had nearly the impact that it did if it didn't have some good old fashioned people up in arms.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Newman I agree. I also said this before; No one besides the regulars on game forums know about this game. Kids in my class never heard of this, nor do they think its cool. In fact one person thought it was a "Heroes" Like the TV show game.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

I didn't buy zack and wiki but I do know what it is. not because its kiddy or some nonsense like that but because despite its good reviews its really not my thing. I can solve a rubiks cube but I'm not a big fan of puzzlers oddly enough. (I like puzzle toys like the cube or the hanayama) but not puzzle games. I intend to buy NMH because it looks like a sick action game.

but he's right games need to advertise to get their message out. I saw tons of those COD4 Kim Jung Il commercials and I saw the halo ads, etc.

TV is a big sales booster and they should take advantage of that

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pcrK2MnhCPU

if they put that on TV I bet it would sell xD

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

No More Heroes could easily sell as many copies as Red Steel if the game had the same promotion.spidermonkey11

I think that is his point.

Hippostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hippostrike
Member since 2006 • 1014 Posts
People could always try flooding the anti-gaming idiots with "complaints" about this game to try to give it publicity. The Jack Thompsons of the world helped make games like Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto household names.
mgfarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mgfarmer
Member since 2004 • 392 Posts

I may get this game, but like many have said the problem is marketing. If they dont market the game how do they expect people to buy it? Another problem the Wii faces is its going to be hard for some games to compete with games on the PS3 and 360 especially for people like me that have a Wii and a PS3. I have heard great things about the MOH games for the Wii and that the online play is fun,however, why would I want to play that when I can play COD4 online which is much better?. I love the Wii but I will admit I basically got it for Mario and Zelda, but I also like the games that are unique to the system like Zak and Wikki.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
i so agree with you, some games just need to beard to be successful, however, the devs usually do nothing other than sitting and crying over their game. When finally accepting the fact but put the blame on nintendo :| ..........
supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts

Yes, you're right. What's most important to note is that while we feel that these forums contain a large community, they are only a minute portion of the gaming population. So yea, the "buy this" threads are really fruitless. 1 commercial does so much for a title, which is partly why mario party and mario galaxy have done so well. Nintendo has the money to push their titles. Another thing to take into account is the fact that third-party developers may not have the funds to do the same kind of advertising that Nintendo can do. Assuming that they put most of their money into making a good game, money for advertising may be little or non-existent.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bob_newman

Yes, you're right. What's most important to note is that while we feel that these forums contain a large community, they are only a minute portion of the gaming population. So yea, the "buy this" threads are really fruitless. 1 commercial does so much for a title, which is partly why mario party and mario galaxy have done so well. Nintendo has the money to push their titles. Another thing to take into account is the fact that third-party developers may not have the funds to do the same kind of advertising that Nintendo can do. Assuming that they put most of their money into making a good game, money for advertising may be little or non-existent.

supreuph

If I'm not mistaken, Ubisoft is publishing it here in North America.

...I think they can afford it.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Its true.

Its basic business, how do you expect your product to sell if you dont get word out?

I'd even call it stupid from a business point of view.
lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
Ugh call me illiterate because i read it like 3 times and still don't get it
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bob_newman

Ugh call me illiterate because i read it like 3 times and still don't get itlolag

Wow, I'm sorry. I'll sum it up if you want.

Publishers need to advertise *new* games, or they will not sell. That is why No More Heroes is bound to fail.

I appreciate that you at least took the time to read it.

santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts

i agree with every body but there is only one problem. do you guys really think they would show a preview of no more heroes with all that blood on t.v? besides that, i think the reason why people don't buy the games are because of reviews and judgement on Graphics(graphic whores) and also Nintendo imo has a problem advertising games. tell me how many times have you seen a wii game for commercial compare to the ps3.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 dmil1991
Member since 2007 • 1016 Posts
People probably wouldn't buy it anyway unfortunately, simply because games are so expensive that most people can only get a few, and if they have a Wii, they will probably buy a big name Nintendo game, like SMG or MP3. I'm a victim of this myself: I've heard great stuff about Z&W and NMH, but I just don't have the cash. XBOX360 and PS3 has a lot more third party support because they don't have a huge first party base like Nintendo. It's really too bad, but I don't think many third party games will sell well on the Wii until there is a real break in first party stuff. Maybe by this summer, but who knows? It's kinda depressing.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bob_newman

i agree with every body but there is only one problem. do you guys really think they would show a preview of no more heroes with all that blood on t.v? besides that, i think the reason why people don't buy the games are because of reviews and judgement on Graphics(graphic whores) and also Nintendo imo has a problem advertising games. tell me how many times have you seen a wii game for commercial compare to the ps3.

santanablu3

It shouldn't be up to Nintendo to advertise it. They advertise most of their own 1st party games, but it's up to the publishers of the game to advertise for their own games.

Also, when companies advertise they don't just throw commercials on any random channal at any random time. If they know what they're doing, they try to run the ads at times when they know it's appropriate to do so.

A good example of that would be that when you're watching a basketball game, you'll see ads for sneakers, while if you're watching a show on the Women's Television Network (or whatever the American equivalent is), they will advertise for tampons or something similar.

santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 santanablu3
[QUOTE="santanablu3"]

bob_newman

It shouldn't be up to Nintendo to advertise it. They advertise most of their own 1st party games, but it's up to the publishers of the game to advertise for their own games.

Also, when companies advertise they don't just throw commercials on any random channal at any random time. If they know what they're doing, they try to run the ads at times when they know it's appropriate to do so.

A good example of that would be that when you're watching a basketball game, you'll see ads for sneakers, while if you're watching a show on the Women's Television Network (or whatever the American equivalent is), they will advertise for tampons or something similar.

i agree with you, but what i ment was for the nintendo games. like i have not yet to see one single game commercial for Zelda(even though its pretty old) nor mario striker,mario & sonic olympic. what im suggesting that nintendo or even the companies who are advertising these game to do is to advertise the games like movies.(ex: if they have a game that they do know its going to come out on the release date they should advertise the game before it comes out) the same way as we professional ;D forum readers find out about games.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

It's not up to us (hardcore demographic) to make games like NMH and Z+W crack the top ten, it's up to us to make sure these games atleast break even.

I know how movie producers think (having been thrown out on my ass by more than a few) and the same goes for game producers. Not everything has to be a blockbuster, if a game developer (or franchise) has a proven track record of breaking even or making a little bit of profit... they'll be all over the next game. Their thinking is, it's not a risk if the worst thing that happens is we break even, and if the name is out there (in the case of a franchise) the next game is sure to have a fan following in addition to the people that are new to the franchise.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts

[QUOTE="lolag"]Ugh call me illiterate because i read it like 3 times and still don't get itbob_newman

Wow, I'm sorry. I'll sum it up if you want.

Publishers need to advertise *new* games, or they will not sell. That is why No More Heroes is bound to fail.

I appreciate that you at least took the time to read it.

AHH! i get it now.

Well you got to look for thier side as well. They might or may not have the money the advertise. I'm pretty sure it's expensive. I think at some extent hyping games in the forum could help them. But advertisement in TV will be better. Just one clip of it.

Most of the gamers who don't play as much like we do they look at the gamebox and the name. I'll use my brother for an example really quick. We went to bestbuy and looked at some games. He doesnt know the genres but knows shooting game are fun :p As we walked around he saw BioShock. Big daddy is on cover with his big drill and a nice rusty look name Bioshock. And right now as everything is clicking in my head all the games he bought are usually AAA here on GS and well known franchises. Zack and Wiki could be suffering from the name thing too. Looking it from non-gamers point of view once they see Zack and Wiki could be, Wikipedia got its game?

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="santanablu3"]

santanablu3

i agree with you, but what i ment was for the nintendo games. like i have not yet to see one single game commercial for Zelda(even though its pretty old) nor mario striker,mario & sonic olympic. what im suggesting that nintendo or even the companies who are advertising these game to do is to advertise the games like movies.(ex: if they have a game that they do know its going to come out on the release date they should advertise the game before it comes out) the same way as we professional ;D forum readers find out about games.

Games like those don't need huge amounts of advertising though. As I mentioned in my original post, well-established franchises are typically successful in terms of sales.

Basically, if it has Mario's face on the cover, it will sell (same with the word Zelda), and the same goes for Guitar Hero 3.

Mario-related games don't need to advertise anymore, because they paid their dues over 20 years ago.

Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts

Why is this? Well, for starters, where would they ever have had a chance to hear about them? They're not going on forums and reading about them. They don't even know that some of these games exist, and even if they do, they don't know a thing about them (other than the fact that they saw the box sitting on the shelf at Toys R Us). But I can bet you that they might know a thing or two about Hannah Montana, or High-school Musical, and would pick one of those up without learning a thing about the gameplay (or lack thereof).

It's called a gaming magazine, you know, the bits of paper sitting on the shelves in bookstores, newsagents, grocery stores etc.?

Sorry, I just copied this section of your so-called rant cause to me, rants are short, out bursts of frustration, not long-winded statements about how 3rd party games are loosing to franchises such as Mario, GH, Halo etc.

And before you go on, I heard about No More Heros way before I started posting in the Wii section of the forums, let alone the forums themselves...and guess where I heard about it? Read my first sentence after your 'quote' ;)

santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 santanablu3
[QUOTE="santanablu3"][QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="santanablu3"]

bob_newman

Games like those don't need huge amounts of advertising though. As I mentioned in my original post, well-established franchises are typically successful in terms of sales.

Basically, if it has Mario's face on the cover, it will sell (same with the word Zelda), and the same goes for Guitar Hero 3.

Mario-related games don't need to advertise anymore, because they paid their dues over 20 years ago.

very true...this is a great topic.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bob_newman

It's called a gaming magazine, you know, the bits of paper sitting on the shelves in bookstores, newsagents, grocery stores etc.?

Sorry, I just copied this section of your so-called rant cause to me, rants are short, out bursts of frustration, not long-winded statements about how 3rd party games are loosing to franchises such as Mario, GH, Halo etc.

And before you go on, I heard about No More Heros way before I started posting in the Wii section of the forums, let alone the forums themselves...and guess where I heard about it? Read my first sentence after your 'quote' ;)

Puscifer_No1

If you think a majority of the general public reads those, you are mistaken.

They are about as likely to read gaming websites as they are gaming magazines.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Videogame advertising has been slowing down over the years, as the internet has risen. Back in the days of SNES vs Genesis, there were commercials running all the time. However as the popularity of the web has increased, tv advertisement has decreased. Its easier and cheaper to get your advertisement on websites then it is to using television. Take for example a superbowl commerical, you spend millions to get it on there, but lets say people change the channel, or go for a bathroom break when your commerical plays. Reaching the audience through television is much harder, unless you bombard them with constant advertisement which is very expensive. Even using printed media isnt as effective, since in this day and age most frequent the internet for thier reading pleasure.

Thats why online advertisement is actually the best way to go, because all you really need to do is put it on the sites most frequently visited and your assured that people will see it. When it comes to NMH it would be tough to get an effective tv spot. Only because everything that makes this game what it is, would be a little to hot for tv. I would like to see this game do well as it looks like a solid game, but theres nothing we can do about it. Often people pass up on this because it doesnt follow the general photorealistic trend, but hey who knows maybe it will do well.

Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts

And what about the majority that don't have time to sit in front of a computer to read about them, hmm?

Cause I know I'm one of the majority that does, even though, yes I do come on here and read about up-coming games, but I also check in with magazines every once in a while.

In regards though, I do see your point very clearly about 3rd party developers having to go the extra yard just to get their game noticed, and it is a shame when such a game like NMH is pitted up against 'the big boys'. I'm looking forward to see how NMH shapes up before I decide to purchase it, if I do at all.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bob_newman

Videogame advertising has been slowing down over the years, as the internet has risen. Back in the days of SNES vs Genesis, there were commercials running all the time. However as the popularity of the web has increased, tv advertisement has decreased. Its easier and cheaper to get your advertisement on websites then it is to using television. Take for example a superbowl commerical, you spend millions to get it on there, but lets say people change the channel, or go for a bathroom break when your commerical plays. Reaching the audience through television is much harder, unless you bombard them with constant advertisement which is very expensive. Even using printed media isnt as effective, since in this day and age most frequent the internet for thier reading pleasure.

Thats why online advertisement is actually the best way to go, because all you really need to do is put it on the sites most frequently visited and your assured that people will see it. When it comes to NMH it would be tough to get an effective tv spot. Only because everything that makes this game what it is, would be a little to hot for tv. I would like to see this game do well as it looks like a solid game, but theres nothing we can do about it. Often people pass up on this because it doesnt follow the general photorealistic trend, but hey who knows maybe it will do well.

Sepewrath

True to an extent, but the internet just isn't enough on it's own. That's why I said that games need to be advertised on TV, at the movies, in newspapers and magazines, etc. It's a mix of everything that is needed, not just one media outlet.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Makes sense.

Sorry I don't have anything else to add right now because it made sense lol

Maybe next time add a riff in there that's totally off the wall and I can come back with how to correct it but right there you laid it all out. The people who think that they can make a Gamespot rally to boost sales are fooling themselves.

It's up to the maker of the game and the publisher of the game to get the word out. Past that it's 5 people riding in a caravan going to vote thinking that their 5 votes are going to change the world.

Never happens.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bob_newman

Makes sense.

Sorry I don't have anything else to add right now because it made sense lol

Maybe next time add a riff in there that's totally off the wall and I can come back with how to correct it but right there you laid it all out. The people who think that they can make a Gamespot rally to boost sales are fooling themselves.

It's up to the maker of the game and the publisher of the game to get the word out. Past that it's 5 people riding in a caravan going to vote thinking that their 5 votes are going to change the world.

Never happens.

Jaysonguy

So, next time I should add something like:

"The game won't sell well, partly from a lack of advertising, but mostly due to the fact that...well...Mexicans smell."

Duly noted.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Exactly

You've pretty much laid out the video game equivalent of 2 + 2 = 4

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

You know what would work better that TV spots? A demo and/or preview channel!

Ok, fine. It might not work better, but I'm sure it would work wonders, especially for a game like NMH where gameplay seems to be everything and presentation is second.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts
These video game companies all hey need to do is advertise and their game will sell.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Well said and it's so true. I wonder completely as to why in the world these developers and companies don't put more advertising into their games. I mean, don't they want them to sell? Money shouldn't be much an issue either. Marketing and advertising is usually part of the budget plan of the development of these games. As well, Ubisoft is publishing it and funding it.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dinofan01
Member since 2007 • 1697 Posts
I completely agree Newman. As much as we may or may not want it; its up to the producers to get their games known. Thta means ore then a few ads on IGN and Gamespot. I want to see full blown commercials and window posters at your local gamestop saying "If you want to know more about this highly stylistic game that comes with great gameplay free, ask on of our employees."
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I only really watch TV for sports any more, and I don't see many game commercials then. Bioshock and Uncharted are the only two games I can remember seeing a commercial for in a loooong time.

I agree that proper marketing could help these games tremendously, with the exception of Zack and Wiki. I think a good advertising campaign would've only helped a little, since most people would still see the general presentation of the game and immediately be turned off.

JordanElek

wow mods are speaking up tonight anyways your right it would have the perfect add campaign and publishers should not worry about Anti vidoegame activists

so heres to hoping for some success for this game and maybe that will spur more real 3rd party support dedicated to hardcore gamers

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Your point of the importance of advertising is THE reason wii games have lack-luster sales. Look at how much the Wii console sells. Now, even with a limited amount of TV time have you seen a 'Wii want to play' ad? I have and so has everyone in my distant family. How many people do you know that have bought it either because it 'looked fun' or played it at someone's house because they bought it because 'it looked fun'. Advertising and price point sell. But just having ads out there isn't going to do it either. Devs need to prove why their game should be the game you buy this month and they need to target the demographic that it would appeal most to. A lot of people like the Wii because of price point. And if price is a factor in the purchase of the console, limited $ for games will also be very important consideration. Games need to prove why their game is the game you should buy out of the 4 most people get this year. When in doubt they will get something familiar in hopes of not wasting the money. Advertising would let people see the game without a $5 rental or the 'safe' purchase of the next fanchise sequel. Also Game makers need to know what demographic their game targets BEFORE they spend the money for development. AND they also need to know if enough people fit the demographic to hit the break even point. It is hard to pinpoint that before the console has been out long though. This might be the failing of NMH. Have all the gamers that like extreme violence, crude humor, and a plot revolving around getting some from a french girl already left the Wii? I don't think so, most of them still troll the Wii board and maybe they will notice all the threads this game has produced and now it's 9.0 score. I also think devs should be designing their games with 'sequel' and 'franchise' in the first place, because like you said, once everyone knows the brand name, they are more likely to buy it again, without any advertising... I wonder how many devs think of this big picture approach or take their games one at a time? In a brief example: Personally I think with the new $30 tag of Zack and Wiki a cool ad compaign could easily boost sales. By throwing out some ads with Jonny Style (The pilot bunny - he would appeal to the more teenage crowd) smart remarking in Rabbid fashion or the likes, with the added bonus by strutting around Rose a bit, add in some of the cool death sequences and they could make some pretty cool viral ads in a similar 'Rabbid' fashion that would turn on more people to the game. It would be hard to find 30 seconds of different animations from the game, but the case in point is get people to buy it off quick hype and great marketing. I will definately support those that pointed out making "Buy -this- game campaigns" really don't offer any benefit. In fact most create a negative hatred toward the game and those running around trying to convince others to buy something they themselves don't know anything about (other than the little bit of marketing that has been done up to that point). Anyhow, good discussion and things to think about. I'm glad I'm literate... thanks TC.
mrjam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 mrjam0
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

santanablu3

true. but the reason y ps3 has so many ads is because they know that their sales r suffering

mrjam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 mrjam0
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts
seems that a few of us underestimate the power of advertisment. as was said before, if a game sneeks on the shelves, its more likely that only hardcore gamers will know about it, not the casual. much like how a movie like cloverfield would sell more tickets than a movie like There Will Be Blood (yes that's an actual movie) mostly movie critics know about this one. which brings me on to my next point. someone posted an "ad" from youtube. this game isnt commercial friendly, too much blood. and if any of u have read the reviews, this is a hardcore game, soccer moms arent going to aprove of this. what im saying is that the consumers that this game appeals to already know about it