Okami... is it that good?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Zelda, so I thought i'd love this game. I've been playing for about an hour and I can see why so many including myself would think it's great, but there are a few things that are bothering me heavily. Is there a camera-center button like in twilight princess?(if tp didn't have that feature then I would shoot myself), if not it desperately needs it. Also, people talk about how bad TP graphics were, but Okami just seems blurry, and yes I have them set to 480p on the Wii. It's not bad all the time, but the Dog just seems so blurry. The camera just seems so slow as well.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 skingus
Also, I hope that there is a solution to these problems, cause I could really see myself enjoying the game otherwise.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
The game is better on the PS2.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skingus
The game is better on the PS2.Minishdriveby
Why???
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

get it, its a great and beautiful game, the controls can get alittle finikky but it stays mostly solid (but the paintbrush controls are great)

*waits for jasonguys stupid rants*

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Those problems can be overlooked.

I have been playing 20+ hours so far, and it is absoultly amazing. I find it starts off slow, but then it really picks up.

Just keep playing it. you will enjoy it.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skingus
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

I have been playing 20+ hours so far, and it is absoultly amazing. I find it starts off slow, but then it really picks up.

So there's no way to center??? Man that bugs me for some reason... I might just play Zelda again...
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#8 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

get it, its a great and beautiful game, the controls can get alittle finikky but it stays mostly solid (but the paintbrush controls are great)

*waits for jasonguys stupid rants*

legend26

He already owns it. ;)

I like Okami a lot, and I'm not having any of the same problems you are.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
No, it's not THAT good, but it's worth the buy.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alexh_99
[QUOTE="skingus"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

So there's no way to center??? Man that bugs me for some reason... I might just play Zelda again...

I'm not sure what you mean by center? I know you can control the camera with the D-Pad.
chego720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chego720
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts

alexh_99

Good to know, I've been having a little trouble getting into it, mainly because of a lot of PS3 games I've been playing (not bashing the Wii). But, looks like I should try playing it some more =D

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skingus
[QUOTE="alexh_99"][QUOTE="skingus"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

I'm not sure what you mean by center? I know you can control the camera with the D-Pad.

In Tp or OOT for that matter there is a button to push that centers the camera in front of you.... I think most will know what i'm talking about. It saves you from having to cumbersomely work the camera around with the d-pad. With the Wii remote this is absolutely necessary imo.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#13 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I think it's pretty over rated. I really didn't have any fun playing it.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skingus
I think it's pretty over rated. I really didn't have any fun playing it.BuryMe
Why??? Controls, or other?
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]The game is better on the PS2.skingus
Why???

The controls are a little better. Combat and such.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skingus
[QUOTE="skingus"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]The game is better on the PS2.Minishdriveby
Why???

Really? That's a bummer. I figured it would be better on Wii.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alexh_99
[QUOTE="alexh_99"][QUOTE="skingus"] So there's no way to center??? Man that bugs me for some reason... I might just play Zelda again...skingus

In Tp or OOT for that matter there is a button to push that centers the camera in front of you.... I think most will know what i'm talking about. It saves you from having to cumbersomely work the camera around with the d-pad. With the Wii remote this is absolutely necessary imo.

ok i get it. No i don't think Okami has that feature.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#18 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]I think it's pretty over rated. I really didn't have any fun playing it.skingus
Why??? Controls, or other?

The controls worked fine. I just didn't have any fun in the combat, there was too much reading and it just felt slow and boring.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
It's good but it's certainly not in the same league at Twilight Princess. Yes, the camera is terrible but you'll get used to it. The graphics are bad because this is a PS2 port.
futsal4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 futsal4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

I was a little skeptical about buying it at first, but I ended up buying it a couple days ago for $26 at gamestop.

I have only gotten 3 hours in, but I have to say it is a great game. It is similar to Zelda TP, but it is also different. The wiimote paintbrush works great, and the combat is really fun. Combat is a combination of wiimote shake attacks (works alright, but not great) and wiimote paintbrush attacks, like drawing slashes, tree seeds, and bombs, (works great). I, unlike some other people, found the combat to be very satisfying. I have heard that this is also a rediculously long game, so I it is worth the money. I have not really had any problems with the camera so far.

Overall, I would highly recommend it.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
If you really liked the Wolf form in Legend of Zelda then you will like Okami.
Toothpick91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Toothpick91
Member since 2008 • 229 Posts
1st dont compare it to TP and ull like it alot beter and the graphics arnt bad thats the way the game looks duh! its japaness artwork i loved the graphics i thout they looked great the controles do get a little anoying at points. and dont stop playing it like i did i got half way don with and gave up could not kill the brick wall dude right bf u fight nine :::::: (srry tryin not to giv spoiler ) and quit started playin it again about 5 monthes ago and fell in love with it again :) and beat it like 3 times now lol its great it gets beter farther in the game
DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

It's good but it's certainly not in the same league at Twilight Princess. Yes, the camera is terrible but you'll get used to it. The graphics are bad because this is a PS2 port.Rocky32189
umm... Okamis graphics even beat the games on the360 , i mean even IGN choosed okami as the best game of 2006

the game is worth buying.

graphics are a 10/10

controles are a 8/10

story is a 9/10 with lots of japanise mythology

music is a 9/10

overall i would give the wii version a 9.8/10

the ONLY bad thing is the lack of the ending credits and the controles for dodging in combat arent working that well (even if you wont probably use it), everything eals is better on the wii version then it was on the ps2

Okami_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Okami_Link
Member since 2007 • 488 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]It's good but it's certainly not in the same league at Twilight Princess. Yes, the camera is terrible but you'll get used to it. The graphics are bad because this is a PS2 port.DeadEndPanda

umm... Okamis graphics even beat the games on the360 , i mean even IGN choosed okami as the best game of 2006

graphics are a 10/10

controles are a 8/10

music is a 9/10

the ONLY bad thing is the lack of the ending credits and the controles for dodging in combat arent working that well (even if you wont probably use it), everything eals is better on the wii version then it was on the ps2

I agree with everything you said but the dodging controls works just fine. There`s a trick to make it work - you have to MOVE the nunchuck in the direction you want not just tilt it because the nunchuck can only understand wide motion. I need to make a video and put it in youtube.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

umm... Okamis graphics even beat the games on the360

DeadEndPanda

Artistically speaking?Maybe.Technically speaking?No.

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
For camera center (press 2 or 1 i think) As for graphics, they're beautiful...its called Japanese Art Style
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
Yes its great. The only problem I had was the dodging with the Nunchuk, which was unresponsive, but I never needed it, so it was a big problem at all. If you like Zelda then theres a good chance you'll like Okami.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Yeah It is a great game. The Best one the Wii imo. I liked it better than the new Zelda, not saying TP was bad but Okami seemed new and fresh. Graphics are amazing.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
It's a great game, but you have to overcome some annoying problems to fully enjoy it. The controls aren't very well done, the graphics (technically speaking) are awful, the camera isn't very good, and it's just not a very good port. But the game itself is magnificent. The story, world, and characters are fantastic and it's hard to not enjoy it, despite the games problems.
Soilworkcob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Soilworkcob
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

The game is better on the PS2.Minishdriveby

True. If your playing Okami on a LCD television it probably won't look very good unless they totally redid the graphics for the Wii I would opt to play it on a CRT television. Like the PS2 wasn't built to be played on the crisp, clean image of an LCD television they were meant be played on a CRT television otherwise the graphics will look flawed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I played the game for a couple days after I bought it, but it really wasn't that amazing. I haven't picked it up in like a year, in fact the only reason I still have it is because I wanted some developer variety - most of my games are by Nintendo. No More Heroes was a slightly better game from what I played, but if you play either of those games it will quickly remind you that you didn't buy a real gaming system.
Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
Well I have heard that the game is slightly better on the PS2 graphically, but I think you just should play it out -- it's one I definitely plan on picking up myself and I know I will enjoy it. :) I am playing through Twilight Princess the second time though and I still love that game like none other. :P I think it will work out for you. :) Games usually don't seem to get worse the more you play them, it seems to be the opposite.
Iorning_board

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Iorning_board
Member since 2005 • 1853 Posts

Fantastic game... My favourite Wii game so far just ahead of LOZ: TP, MP3, RE4, Zack and Wiki, NMH, SMG, SPM and Fire Emblem... In no specific order :P

I really enjoyed the Story/Characters and found the world to be great fun to explore.

The graphic styling is amazing and I foubd the controls and camera very responsive.

The length is also a great feature in the game, a few times I thought it was over only to be proven wrong.... Great Game.

lukus_mclukus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lukus_mclukus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

yeah, if you even slightly liked legend of zelda, okami is a great twist on the genre.

And the controls arent broken, they just dont respond to waggle. People complain that amaterasu never attacks, but thats cause theyre flailing wildly. If you do deliberate flicks at the end of each attack, she'll keep attacking and you can rack up the combo meter.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
I actually enjoyed Okami over ZeldaTP. Well, the PS2 version that is. The Wii version stacks up equally or even a little less to ZeldaTP. Controls on the PS2 never got in the way which made for a much more fluid experience. I'd recommend anyone with an sdtv and is deciding between the Wii and PS2 version to just go with the PS2 version. If you only have an hdtv just go with the Wii version cuz the ps2 version looks like straight up crap on it.
GameOverKayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameOverKayo
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
It's one of the best Wii games and should not be missed. It's as epic as Zelda: TW and has a great lenght and story. If you liked Zelda, you'll like this game for sure. These people are complaining about minor things that didnt even bother or affect my gameplay. I also think that the Wii version controls were better than the PS2, I guess its a matter of taste. Simply put, if you havent played this game, buy it now. Why do you doubt it when it recieved so good review scores all over the internet? Check GameSpot, IGN and Gamerankings and read their reviews.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]It's good but it's certainly not in the same league at Twilight Princess. Yes, the camera is terrible but you'll get used to it. The graphics are bad because this is a PS2 port.DeadEndPanda

graphics are a 10/10

controles are a 8/10

music is a 9/10

I heard the ending credits reveal an important plot device or something of the sort, hence why I have been holding off from buying it. Is the lack of said credits a significant fault?

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
I loved every minute of it.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts
Its a port of a game from last gen, nuff said!
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
I loved every minute of it.gamer6464
me too!
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I'm frequently hearing that it's a great game but with broken controls especially with the Paintbrush. Are they really that broken?
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I'm frequently hearing that it's a great game but with broken controls especially with the Paintbrush. Are they really that broken?wiifan001
They take getting used to for sure, and they are rather erratic, but they're not bad. It's just a little sad that they couldn't spend a bit more time refining the controls.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34805 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="skingus"] Why???skingus

It also looks better on PS2. They removed the rice paper effect for the Wii version.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

[QUOTE="skingus"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] The controls are a little better. Combat and such.Litchie

It also looks better on PS2. They removed the rice paper effect for the Wii version.

True. But they did un-blur the Wii verison quite a bit. When I showed my friend Okami on wii she said "That's the same on Okami on PS2 without the vaseline smeared all over it." I can't say much to that since I haven't really seen it on PS2 (not in a while at least).

And for people having trouble with the paintbrush, you have to be sort of close to the screen for it to stop shaking. Once that's done you'll be slahing like mad. Fleetfoot is broken and some (not the beads) of the weapons are hard to get used to. I finally mastered having two glaves as my weapons and they're killer to use. It's all in the wrist~

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="skingus"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] The controls are a little better. Combat and such.Litchie

From what I know, they didn't. They just made it less obvious.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

I'm 34 hours into the game (which, for a fourty dollar game, is nothing to scoff at) and I'm just now entering what appears to be the final area.
Personally, I think it's phenomenal. The controls do get a bit finnicky at times, but it's not a deal-breaker. When I upgraded to an HD TV I did notice it seemed a bit blurry, but aside from setting your wii settings to 480p, there's a setting in the Okami options menu if you hit (-) that asks if you're using an LCD display or not. This improves it a bit, but it does look a tad blurry. Again, it's nothing that I thought ruined the game. As for the camera, I have never had any gripe with not being able to center it. The reason Zelda needs it is because the combat is open, and you have to constantly readjust where you're looking during battles. In Okami, battles are from a nearly fixed point of view in an enclosed space so you almost always have a view of the entire battlefield. The only time I ever mess with the camera is when I'm running through environments, and using the d-pad has never been a problem for me.

Stick with it. The plot and gameplay are more than enough to look past the minor issues once you really get into it.

Akel777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#48 Akel777
Member since 2005 • 999 Posts
You can skip cutscenes in the Wii version and the game does get better as you go along. I like the game over all but I think the latter half of the game is more fun because you get more brush tech's and weapons to play with and some of the stuff that goes on in the story is pretty funny/creative.
futsal4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 futsal4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

Brush techniques are sometimes unresponsive, for me the cherry bomb is tough to do correctly. With the wiimote though you can do everything really fast though.

For all those having problems with the nunchuck dodge, I took Okami_Link's advice and it works very well, almos 95% accurate. Instead of flicking the nunchuck, Hold it straight out and move the whole thing in the direction (front, back, left, right) you want.

flarebrass13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 flarebrass13
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts
While I cannot speak for the Wii version of Okami I did play the PS2 version. There is tons to do, the story is excellent and the graphics are amazing. They might not be considered that now but is probably the best lookng PS2 game ever made. Overall it's very fun and deserves all the praise it gets. It's easily worth it considering its price tag.