No Retro Games on WiiWare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dominae
Member since 2003 • 938 Posts

According to an article on Develop, Nintendo isn't looking to put retro titles on WiiWare. From the article:

"Nintendo has made it very clear to us that we'll not only be making a better royalty rate from WiiWare games, but we'll also have a better chance of selling games - the service won't be clogged up with the retro titles that have blighted the chances of many independent studios on Xbox Live Arcade," said one studio business development boss, speaking to Develop under conditions of anonymity."

What do you think? Is the VC enough for retro, or were you looking forward to remakes of clas-sic retro titles?

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts
The VC is enough. I like to see new games developed for WiiWare.
nulvix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 nulvix
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Out of curiosity I've heard a lot about this thing that's coming to the Wii, but I'm not so sure as to what it does. Is it going to be a place where you can get games like VC? Is it for purchasing wii games? Is it for playing other console games like XBOx or something? I have no idea what this thing is!
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
They have some games like R-Type on Wiiware R-Type is either a sequal or Remake of the R-Type games which are on the VC.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Nintendo's got a good thing going with Virtual Console... it's unique. I'd rather see only original games (or remakes) for WiiWare, lest it become XBLA-lite or something like that.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Out of curiosity I've heard a lot about this thing that's coming to the Wii, but I'm not so sure as to what it does. Is it going to be a place where you can get games like VC? Is it for purchasing wii games? Is it for playing other console games like XBOx or something? I have no idea what this thing is!nulvix
It is like VC but it is new games made specifically for the Wii kind've like XBLA.
fraz1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fraz1776
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

Out of curiosity I've heard a lot about this thing that's coming to the Wii, but I'm not so sure as to what it does. Is it going to be a place where you can get games like VC? Is it for purchasing wii games? Is it for playing other console games like XBOx or something? I have no idea what this thing is!nulvix

It's similar to the VC but all of the games will be origianal/new titles. It also gives small/indie devs to get their products to the masses and large devs to experiment with smaller titles.

nulvix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 nulvix
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Interesting, so it's like buying wii games on the wii? Cool. I like the sound of that, not having to go in the stores and hope to find a copy. :lol: But what is XBLA?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Good, you don't screw with old games

Want new game elements? Then buy a new game.

I can't stand these people that just can't wait to destroy some of the most loved games of all time so they can have upgraded graphics or online ability.

Go buy a new game and leave the old ones alone

fraz1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fraz1776
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

Interesting, so it's like buying wii games on the wii? Cool. I like the sound of that, not having to go in the stores and hope to find a copy. :lol: But what is XBLA? nulvix

XBLA = XBOX Live Arcade

PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts

Good, you don't screw with old games

Want new game elements? Then buy a new game.

I can't stand these people that just can't wait to destroy some of the most loved games of all time so they can have upgraded graphics or online ability.

Go buy a new game and leave the old ones alone

Jaysonguy

i spose i can agree with you...

but... but... i love the nostalgia of it all!!!! :cry:

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

WiiWare is focusing on being a tool for serious developers that don't have the funds of the big guys. It's going to have a lot of great software right out of the gate and has 100+ games in development as we speak.

It is in the WiiShop channel, but is seperated from the Virtual Console. There will be a small handful of remakes, but they're less remakes than new editions. The ones that come to mind are bomberman, Dr. Mario (with Mii compatability) and Tetris.

It really is shaping up to be leaps and bounds better than XBLA because there are less restrictions and more opportunities for both small developers who are self-funded and large developers who greenlight smaller projects.

I believe the R-Type game is a new edition to the Star Soldier series and is titled Star Soldier R.

Other notable titles include:
LostWinds
World of Goo
FFCC: My Life as King
Eternity's Child

There is a good amount of information starting to surface and even launch dates for Japan and NA.

dominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dominae
Member since 2003 • 938 Posts

It is kinda funny....

I'll be happy if I don't see another Root Beer Tapper port again. People say many negative things about Nintendo, but some of those very statements can be made for Namco and Midway.

But, then again, nostalgia sells pretty d@mn well.

/end digression

I was secretly hoping to see some original first-party content on WiiWare (i.e. new levels for SMB, etc.) but I guess Nintendo won't be developing for WiiWare. A missed opportunity, in my opinion.

EDIT:

There will be a small handful of remakes, but they're less remakes than new editions. The ones that come to mind are bomberman, Dr. Mario (with Mii compatability) and Tetris.effthat
I had forgotten about those. Nice.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

It is kinda funny....

I'll be happy if I don't see another Root Beer Tapper port again. People say many negative things about Nintendo, but some of those very statements can be made for Namco and Midway.

But, then again, nostalgia sells pretty d@mn well.

/end digression

I was secretly hoping to see some original first-party content on WiiWare (i.e. new levels for SMB, etc.) but I guess Nintendo won't be developing for WiiWare. A missed opportunity, in my opinion.

dominae

I believe they are going to be developing for WiiWare, but they probably won't bring it to their existing franchises. They are generally standing in opposition to XBLA "updates".

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
the VC is fine for getting classic games
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
As stated before, the VC is good for retro gaming. I refuse to buy a remake that was perfectly good in its original form... why mess with what worked before? And that's why I hate what Capcom has done to the Street Fighter series.