Nintendo's biggest problem since NES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
Ok, I am a diehard Nintendo fan. I have seen one thing they keep doing that dosen't really make much sense. Have you ever noticed how many peripherals each system has had? There are way too many add ons to Nintendo systems. Regardless of how good these peripherals are, they may only release a few games that even use it. Examples: GB: Printer, Super Game Boy NES: Satellite, Power Pad, ROB, Zapper SNES: Super Scope 6, mouse N64: Pokemon microphone GC: DK Bongos Wii: The Zapper (might turn out okay after awhile) So what do you think?
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts

Didn't all GameBoy games work with the Super GameBoy?

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bdmckinley

BubbyJello
I'm not really sure. That's one periph I never owned. I was more talking about games that were specifically made for it. I don't really recall that many. I could be wrong though.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bdmckinley

BubbyJello
I'm not really sure. That's one periph I never owned. I was more talking about games that were specifically made for it. I don't really recall that many. I could be wrong though. EDIT: Now that I think about it, wasn't it just the SNES version of the Cubes GB Player?
Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dion4ever
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
I agree. If there's one thing that annoys me, it's all the things they add on. But I guess some of the things they add are really cool like the Wii Wheel!
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

Remember the e-reader?

EnozmeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 EnozmeH
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
The Wii has: Zapper, The Wii Wheel, The Wii Balance Board, Classic controller, Knunchuck... all of these have already enhanced all gameplay on the Wii! The gameplay is so much better now with all these little add-ons.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bdmckinley

Remember the e-reader?

the_leet_kid
Ewww. I forgot about that one!
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="bdmckinley"]Ok, I am a diehard Nintendo fan. I have seen one thing they keep doing that dosen't really make much sense. Have you ever noticed how many peripherals each system has had? There are way too many add ons to Nintendo systems. Regardless of how good these peripherals are, they may only release a few games that even use it. Examples: GB: Printer, Super Game Boy NES: Satellite, Power Pad, ROB, Zapper SNES: Super Scope 6, mouse N64: Pokemon microphone GC: DK Bongos Wii: The Zapper (might turn out okay after awhile) So what do you think?

You missed the power glove for the NES... oh yeah, original motion control baby! The rumble pak for N64, The GBA adaptor for the GC. And more, those are the ones I thought of right away. The Wii has more than you mentioned too. Not only do you have the Wiimote, but the nunchuk (I think the Wiimote and Nunchuk should be the default 'expected' control scheme, for $60 a piece!?), but you have the classic controller, the wheel (and numerous other plastic molds), GC (not technically a Wii peripheral, but still used in SSBB), and the balance board... And we aren't even 2 years in yet. Nintendo is peripheral happy. Not that they are bad or anything, but unless they are bundled in the original console we usually see what, 3-5 games tops for each one and then nothing...
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="bdmckinley"]Ok, I am a diehard Nintendo fan. I have seen one thing they keep doing that dosen't really make much sense. Have you ever noticed how many peripherals each system has had? There are way too many add ons to Nintendo systems. Regardless of how good these peripherals are, they may only release a few games that even use it. Examples: GB: Printer, Super Game Boy NES: Satellite, Power Pad, ROB, Zapper SNES: Super Scope 6, mouse N64: Pokemon microphone GC: DK Bongos Wii: The Zapper (might turn out okay after awhile) So what do you think?

You missed the power glove for the NES... oh yeah, original motion control baby! The rumble pak for N64, The GBA adaptor for the GC. And more, those are the ones I thought of right away. The Wii has more than you mentioned too. Not only do you have the Wiimote, but the nunchuk (I think the Wiimote and Nunchuk should be the default 'expected' control scheme, for $60 a piece!?), but you have the classic controller, the wheel (and numerous other plastic molds), GC (not technically a Wii peripheral, but still used in SSBB), and the balance board... And we aren't even 2 years in yet.

Nintendo is peripheral happy. Not that they are bad or anything, but unless they are bundled in the original console we usually see what, 3-5 games tops for each one and then nothing...
rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
You do have to give them credit though; they were being creative for some of them. The e-reader could've worked well, but it just didn't really wasn't used well. I think some of these things were ahead of their time, and others just weren't done well or were unnecessary.
But I do agree overall there was a little too many add-on peripherals.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You missed the power glove for the NES.raahsnavj

The Power Glove wasn't made by Nintendo.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

Remember the e-reader?

the_leet_kid

I loved the e-reader. I just bought a pack of Clu Clu Land cards for 2 bucks. :(
Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts
I agree. Too many peripherals. Not enough use.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

If more people bought the peripherals, more games would come out. That's why the Balance Board already has at least 10 games in development for it.

Now, if you want to talk about stupid, needless add-ons, look at Sega. One of the main reasons they went out of business is because people didn't want to buy a system that they knew would have pointless add-ons.

The Playstation and Playstation 2 had a lot of add-ons too. They all do. When companies run out of ideas for games they need to get creative...though usually it doesn't work.

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

For some of them, there's not really anything wrong with them. I just wish Nintendo wouldn't abandon them all so early.

I kind of didn't like the GBA to GCN adapter. It was expensive to have to buy four just to play FF Crystal Chronicles and Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
stop complaining nintendo is great lol
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

If more people bought the peripherals, more games would come out. That's why the Balance Board already has at least 10 games in development for it.

bob_newman

There's a paradox though, since generally there needs to be more games supported to encourage people to buy an accessory peripheral. The only exception is when just one game that requires the peripheral ends up being extremely popular (WiiFit being one example).

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

ThePlothole

There's a paradox though, since generally there needs to be more games supported to encourage people to buy an accessory peripheral. The only exception is when just one game that requires the peripheral ends up being extremely popular (WiiFit being one example).

True, it's a vicious cycle. No dev support = No consumer support (and vice versa).

The only difference this gen is that Nintendo is actually supporting and hyping these peripherals to a point that even a plastic wheel looks appealing to..."certain" people.

But if Nintendo didn't try out all of these (hit-or-miss) peripherals, they never would have tried to make the Balance Board.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bob_newman

True, it's a vicious cycle. No dev support = No consumer support (and vice versa).

The only difference this gen is that Nintendo is actually supporting and hyping these peripherals to a point that even a plastic wheel looks appealing to..."certain" people.

But if Nintendo didn't try out all of these (hit-or-miss) peripherals, they never would have tried to make the Balance Board.

And the balance board itself is revolutionary. It's extending the possibility of motion sensing beyond the hands and arms. This will give obese people the opportunity to actually have fun while putting off weight. Wii Fit is going to be one of the hottest selling games in all of Nintendo's history. This is going to be one huge successful peripheral.

srbbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 srbbnd
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts
Going to get a little off topic, but Game Gear had some kick azz add ons. Like the tv adapter...OMG that thing was fricking sweet. But ya Nintendos add ons usually suck... However, the Super Scope and Battle Clash was pretty much the coolest thing ever when I played it for the first time.
Paragus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Paragus1
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts
While a lot of their inventions often end up being silly, it is this creativity that often leads to that one new idea that redfines the way we play games. They were the first to bring us the rumble pack, the analog stick, the wii mote, and now the balance board. Think of them as a wacky inventor that puts out a lot of odd things, but once in a while we get something that changes everything.
Paragus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Paragus1
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts
While a lot of their inventions often end up being silly, it is this creativity that often leads to that one new idea that redefines the way we play games. They were the first to bring us the rumble pack, the analog stick, the wii mote, and now the balance board. Think of them as a wacky inventor that puts out a lot of odd things, but once in a while we get something that changes everything.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

mistake? no your wrong if they never did this they wouldnt be where their at today, its called upgrading thier expierence as well as yours, look at sony

pseye toy

sixaxis , now ds3

memory card adapters

same for xbox360

mics keyboard and mouse

scene it game controllers

rock band/guitar hero controllers

its part of life you dont like it thats not our fault, these things make nintendos sonys or mses consoles better, i enjoy the standard controllers but there is nothing wrong with having new stuff here and there what do you think helped gamecube a little,

the gameboy player, without that i think gc would have sold alot less

same for wii , its new controller is selling it along side aaa hit titles, slap a low price on that and thats the recipe for one good gaming console , you dont always need power- sonys proved that 2 whole generations and nintendos capitalizing on sonys and mses decision to finally use high powered hard ware, why do you think ps1 and 2 sold so well , i know it was not the power of the console for sure,,

there has to be somthing that made ps sell back then , because now its not selling so good,

i think its add-ons, from ddr to guitar hero to final fantasys hdd, all that helped ps2, and ps1 had an awsome lineup , with games from every genere and then some, light gun games ,,

wii is selling not for its power , but for its killer titles, and many exclusive 3rd party games help that and its add-ons,

without add-ons , im sure ps1 ps2 wii gc and n64 would have sold alot less,

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Hey don't lump Super Gameboy with the rest of those... it was simply a SNES cart that you plugged GB games into so you cuold play them through the SNES. The thing was pretty awesome, if you ask me. It even added some color to the games. Oh, and Metroid 2 on the TV = win.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
I loved Mario Paint, it was just too cool being able to use a mouse on the TV screen. Ah, the amount of time I wasted swatting flies, filling in colors on Yoshi, making songs with strange animal noises....Good times....
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

and I have just one of them...the zapper thing for duck :P

is not a problem is business.. Some would buy 1-2, some would not buy, some ppl would go crazy and buy all and there is where the $$$ is.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

and I had just one of them...the zapper thing for duck :P

is not a problem is business.. Some would buy 1-2, some would not buy, some ppl would go crazy and buy all and there is where the $$$ is.

is the same (or one of the reason) a new camara, electronic is out every 4-6 month> do you know that picture with the last 2 sony camara are the same, even thus, I have a friend that NEEDs to buy every sony camara of the cybershot series :?

anyway.. no aproblem, bussiness.. :P

imo..

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Remember the e-reader?

the_leet_kid

Don't forget the GBA-GC Link cable.

sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts
you forgot the expansion pak which required Majoras Mask, Perfect Dark, etc. to run
RylezMcStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RylezMcStyles
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
it should come with it all beforehand
RylezMcStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RylezMcStyles
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
or whatever
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts
Yeah, it's a bit annoying.. but basically what Bob and someone else said a page earlier summed it up.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

I'll defend the Super GameBoy. It was compatible with any GameBoy game out at the time. So, if you got a new SNES, all of your old GameBoy games were now SNES games too. Fantastic and somewhat successful.

Also, the SNES Mouse great. And it was free if you bought Mario Paint, which would have been terrible without it.

Both good ideas, in my opinion.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

ThePlothole

Exactly, Mario Paint and Track and Field (for Bandai's NES running pad) are the main reasons I have so much hope for WiiFit/Balance Board.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
their biggest problem is third party support and listening to their fans.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Microsoft isn't doing any better with 360. It already has a HD-DVD player and blu-ray player is coming next. That will get as big as Genesis with 32x and CD.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Microsoft isn't doing any better with 360. It already has a HD-DVD player and blu-ray player is coming next. That will get as big as Genesis with 32x and CD.

Obviously PC has the most but that has never counted as a weakness. Why is it one for consoles?