Nintendo really need to sort the Wii U out...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

I just bought a Wii U + MK8 package but I've had it since 6pm and I've been updating and setting the consoel for 3 hours! Why isn't the console sold with all the updates? This a MK8 console FFS! Why do I have to make several accounts? I have my Nintendo id, my Nintendo Club, my Wii U account + my Mii......... Just do one universal account, even the 3DS needs an account that you have to link up as well.

I hate this new user experience, all I wanted to do was play a game, but now I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow, if there isn't another update within that time.

It's still updating... on 73% and I've had to update it 4 times already.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

1. Yeah I agree, they should really have those pre-loaded with the updates. Maybe they're trying to force people to get online and interact with eShop, Miiverse?

2. You do have one universal account. It's your Nintendo Network ID. The Wii U account, your Mii and Nintendo ID is actually your universal account. For example, your 3DS's Mii will update if you make changes on the WIi U version. Though you're right about Club Nintendo. They need to bake that in. They've been trying to integrate this all together as of last year, so they are working on it.

3. At least it's only one big update out of the box. You'll have a better experience tomorrow. Have fun :)

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@gajbutler: No console works right out of the box anymore. Xbox One and I believe PS4 also had Day 1 updates. Its part of the new era I'm afraid. But now that you are registered and almost done then the fun will begin. Hang in there almost done!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@gajbutler: No console works right out of the box anymore. Xbox One and I believe PS4 also had Day 1 updates. Its part of the new era I'm afraid. But now that you are registered and almost done then the fun will begin. Hang in there almost done!

The problem is that my Day One Xbox and PS4, both launch consoles, updated quickly and were ready to go after getting their updates.

The Wii U's archaic process shouldn't be there

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

wow..that's pretty bad...would have thought they'd patch it up with the new shipment.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

the ps4 update was 1 minute.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I guess you never had a PS3. Just putting in a single game triggers lengthy installs. The Wii U is great with regards to future updates, granted you have auto-update active.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: still had a update! Besides it should be easy to update 2 PCs.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
@ps4hasnogames said:

@bunchanumbers said:

the ps4 update was 1 minute.

How quickly you were able to play the zero games on the ps4, then... ;)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

There's a difference between a system needing a recent update just produced and one that doesn't ship with it that came out years ago. To require four hours (mine was about two when I bought mine 3 months ago, the WW bundle) honestly doesn't sound too far-fetched, and if it is indeed a MK bundle, that's inexcusable. I could understand if this were a regular Wii U, as Nintendo has had them doing nothing but rotting in warehouses waiting to be sold, but as recent a manufacture as MK needing such time investment to kick the firmware up to par when it should've been installed on the line is absurd. But I suspect this is a cost saving measure on Ninty's part, which would not surprise me.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@gajbutler: My updates used to take forever, but the time has been cut back considerably since I manually configured my internet connection. For some reason, using the automated connection system has issues. My connections always used to be really unstable, causing long download times and random periods of lost connectivity. After configuring it myself, the problems stopped. IGN has a good tutorial on how to do this. It sucks to have issues out of the box with anything, so hopefully this helps.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I also imagine the system update is taking long because of the large influx of MK8 bundles that are being bought, giving Nintendo's servers a workout.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@FFCYAN said:

I guess you never had a PS3. Just putting in a single game triggers lengthy installs. The Wii U is great with regards to future updates, granted you have auto-update active.

This, and I have never had major issues with waiting on my Wii U, not even when I first hooked it up.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@mattykovax said:

@FFCYAN said:

This, and I have never had major issues with waiting on my Wii U, not even when I first hooked it up.

You're one of the few, also it's strange because Nintendo actually apologized for the time it takes.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@Jaysonguy:

Guess I am either lucky, or it just did not seem bad compared to what I have to deal with on the PS3 on a pretty daily basis, and that is as a PSplus member with auto updates.