Nintendo NX backward compatibility?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

charly4512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 charly4512
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

Do you think that nintendo NX should has backward compatibility?

I realy like the idea because after N64 i dont buy nintendo's console anymore and and I was just dying to play all versions of Mario

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Nobody knows what the NX is so it´s impossible to say what it will do until it´s being released, so you´ll have to wait.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I think the NX should have B/C or Nintendo should keep the Wii U in production. Both options would ensure that old games would still be playable in the future, even if new games using Wii U Gamepads and Wii Remotes were no longer made. The games made for these consoles just like the GameCube and N64 are very important part of the Nintendo game library. NX games do not need to be compatible with Wii U Gamepads or Wii Remotes. Since Nintendo has been making consoles for so long, changed controller types so often, and have a variety physical game formats there is probably barrier to B/C for everything.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts

It would be awesome if they did, id consider buying it then

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I hope so... but who knows.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

We know very little about the NX, but multiple rumors suggest it will have a completely new hardware architecture make it more in line with XBone/PS4/PC. Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U all had similar innards witch made backwards compatibility much more feasible. Plus, the thing may not even use optical discs either. It's not impossible, just highly unlikely based on what little we know.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I'd really like for it to so I can transfer all my Wii U games over and sync the gamepad for off tv play, otherwise I'll have both hooked up to my TV with limited HDMI ports :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

if they can do it without huge overheads then sure.

regardless of hardware everything up to the wii should be doable through emulation (though nitnendo have traditionally been more hardware BC focused so im not sure how open they are to software emulation).

emulating the wiiu would be more of a problem though...more on the CPU side.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Yes, but through emulation. Nintendo needs new architecture so that 3rd parties can port games easier. If the NX uses carts like rumors suggest, it would require an external drive add-on. Which I'm okay with.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Nintendo NX may not even be a disc based system. Instead returning to a "cartridge based system" so backwards compatibility may not happen with NX for Wii U & Wii games.

NX may end up using SD card like media. But until March 2017 arrives, We just do not know.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Its certainly no guarantee, particularly if rumors such as carts and the hybrid system turn out to be true. Its definitely not going to do Wii games, it may do Wii U games with emulation sort of as an olive branch and because one of their major launch titles is also a Wii U game.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:

The Nintendo NX may not even be a disc based system. Instead returning to a "cartridge based system" so backwards compatibility may not happen with NX for Wii U & Wii games.

NX may end up using SD card like media. But until March 2017 arrives, We just do not know.

Well, hopefully we will get a reveal of the NX soon in 2016 before the console is available for sale.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

I think the best thing for Nintendo to do is to rebuild many of the core Nintendo exclusives of the past from the NES to the Wii U, and offer them as a downloadable game. Not so much as a remix or remake, if you will, but deign the game to work with the hardware, controller, and HD output kind of stuff.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

It probably will, just not with Blu-Rays (does the WiiU use Blu-Rays?)

Edit: Just watched a vid on it's supposed specs, of which would make backwards compatibility impossible. Emulation though, that can happen.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Hardware wise it needs to be able to play 3DS games. Digitally Wii U and 3DS games would be nice. 3DS is higher priority though. Nintendo needs to drop Wii U support asap and go full blast with the NX and slowly phase the 3DS system away like the DS. Nintendo cant support 2 systems at once anymore. It seems no one can. All of the big 3 need one product on the market with different variations. The days of a company have multiple products out at the same time are dying.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Well MS has never had more than one system to support and Sony has never had any understanding of the handheld market. As far as Nintendo goes, yeah as the systems and games get bigger and grander. They cant keep up with two systems, so a hybrid is likely the best option for them. As far as BC goes, people have shown a willingness to live without it, so regardless of what this system is, wouldn't surprise me to see them not have this time out.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Coolyfett

@Sepewrath said:

Well MS has never had more than one system to support and Sony has never had any understanding of the handheld market. As far as Nintendo goes, yeah as the systems and games get bigger and grander. They cant keep up with two systems, so a hybrid is likely the best option for them. As far as BC goes, people have shown a willingness to live without it, so regardless of what this system is, wouldn't surprise me to see them not have this time out.

No BC is fine if the new system is supported for a long time. All the great Wii games should have still been marketed and promoted while the Wii U is available because there is not enough support for the Wii U games. Coolyfett can see why many saw the Wii U as another Wii. Nintendo rushed to replace the Wii and they are now rushing to replace the Wii U. They need some stability now.

Muddy120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Muddy120
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

I think it'd be interesting but who knows, Nintendo is known for doing BC but they might choose to make it super exclusive and make it all NX and thats it. I think there's merits to both sides of the argument rlly in terms of marketing and long term appeal to the Wii U and NX.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Backwards compatibility is something we should expect to see, but I don't know what form it will take. For example, will it all be done via emulation? Or will NX be able to natively play any older games?

My assumption for now is that NX will not be able to natively play any older games, because it's unlikely to support the Wii Remote (perhaps it will, but who knows) and because the rumours suggest it won't have a disc drive (again, who knows).

So, it seems most likely to me that NX will probably have some kind of Virtual Console support, which is to be expected. I just hope that any VC purchases made on Wii and Wii U will carry over automatically to NX. The idea of having to re-buy games is not something I'm very keen on.

MidnightSkye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MidnightSkye
Member since 2016 • 4 Posts

If it truly is a hybrid the idea of playing Gamecube on the go via VC would be amazing.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coolyfett

@charly4512 said:

Do you think that nintendo NX should has backward compatibility?

I realy like the idea because after N64 i dont buy nintendo's console anymore and and I was just dying to play all versions of Mario

3DS would be a no brainer. Nintendo has to make the 3DS games work on the NX

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#22 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

What we heard is it is a cartridge based system so no it won't be backward compatible.

This is a strategy to sell you the same 20 virtual consols games for way too much money... Want to play Mario 3 again on the NX it will be 5,99$, Mario World ? 10,99$...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

I'm agreeing with those that think NX will play 3DS games. A few WiiU games recently got annonced to be coming to the 3DS, so I imagine that's Nintendos answer for the NX 'likely' not playing actual WiiU games.

Though if it also plays WiiU games? I'd be happy, been holding onto Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 for just that reason_

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I think it will get ports of some wii U games. With the detachable controller configurations, the nx could morph into different shapes for past handhelds. I think the NX will play the whole VC library but it wont be backwards compatible with Wii U games. Though they could do it like Microsoft did with the X1 but I really doubt it.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Coolyfett

@RSM-HQ said:

I'm agreeing with those that think NX will play 3DS games. A few WiiU games recently got annonced to be coming to the 3DS, so I imagine that's Nintendos answer for the NX 'likely' not playing actual WiiU games.

Though if it also plays WiiU games? I'd be happy, been holding onto Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 for just that reason_

The same thing is happening with PlayStation and their devices. The games go in the direction of the install base. Many Vita games were upgraded and moved over PS4, many Wii U games were downgraded and moved over to the 3DS. Nintendo would be foolish to release the NX with no 3DS support. Gamers have to come to terms that the Wii U is dead. The 3DS is their focus now until the NX is released. Nintendo really needs a console they can support for a longer time cycle than the Wii or Wii U. Now they have games coming to mobile devices (iOS\Android) and some of these games will be playable on both NX and mobile. The days of disc gaming on a Nintendo device are over folks.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coolyfett

The biggest advantage Coolyfett is seeing with the NX is a united virtual console. Now players will get NES-GC games all in one place and there won't be separate versions. The NX will most likely allow games to download Wii U and 3DS games from the eShop. Not sure if Wii games would be in VC or not. The 3DS seems like the likely choice to get BC on the NX, but the VC will be where Nintendo could cash in on one united all games available system.