Nintendo HD console? In the next 5 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

Well? Will Nintendo release an HD console within the next 5 years? EVER?

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

1-2 years, maybe. Not five...

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

Next year. That's what I'm placing my money on.

RaIn285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 RaIn285
Member since 2010 • 3010 Posts

If they realese Nintendo HD then Sony and Microsoft will realese something new aswell :|

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I'm hoping this christmas, but it will likely be next

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Their next console to be in HD had better be a successor, not just an HD version of the Wii. It would be too little, too late. Don't forget... VC games aren't transferable. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we put up with Nintendo. :|
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Their next console to be in HD had better be a successor, not just an HD version of the Wii. It would be too little, too late. Don't forget... VC games aren't transferable. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we put up with Nintendo. :|JustPlainLucas

Because it's a love hate/husband and wife relationship with them. ;)

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
5th option: I'm sick of everyone complaining about Wii not being HD and worring about when the next gen is coming. Enjoy what we have now or just dont bother playing it. the few complaints i have a about my Wii is far outweighed by the 70+ games i have for it. i have more complaints about my HD PS3 then my Wii.
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
I sure hope so. But best if they first wait and see what Microsoft and Sony do. This time it would be nice if they were back in the graphic-race. :)
majrankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 majrankin
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

I think their next console with have it, not a re-release of the Wii

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think next year we will have a new nintendo console.

i just want to see if they talk about it at this years E3.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Their next console will probably be in 2012, assuming they announce it this year, and of course it will be in HD. The reason why the Wii was not in HD when it was released was because only like 10-15% of households owned an HDTV. It was an expensive, luxury product that was not sufficiently supported to make HD support necessary for marketing to the masses. Now that HDTVs are pretty much standard issue TVs nowadays, and now that processing power necessary for HD support is cheap enough, it makes perfect sense for Nintendo now to make a console capable of HDTV.

hanzpumpsYOUup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hanzpumpsYOUup
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
Ive always been a loyal nintendo fan since I was younger, but I must say the non-HD wii really killed it for me. its hard to come back once you make the switch to an HD console...
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I'm thinking Fall 2012 or Spring 2013. $399. Roughly a slightly more powerful Xbox 360 in terms of hardware. 32GB Internal Flash Memory. And a Wii-Mote/Standard Controller hybrid, and two buttons around the sides of the A button, like the A/X/Y on Cube. (Maybe make +/- those buttons?)

Possibly a camera in the Sensor bar so not only it picks up the exact place of the IR pointer, but gives you a camera to track you movement as well.

Just my guess. With the 3DS at $250 there is little hope the Wii 2 would be $299 like I hoped, after all the N64 launched for 199, the Cube for 199, and the Wii for only 50 more, but I'm thinking they will charge $100-$150 more for the home console than the handheld

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It would be ridiculous if they're next console didn't support HD, but they've done some pretty ridiculous stuff in the past though....
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

Ive always been a loyal nintendo fan since I was younger, but I must say the non-HD wii really killed it for me. its hard to come back once you make the switch to an HD console...hanzpumpsYOUup

do you ever play nes snes n64 playstation 1 or playstation 2 games anymore?

because if you do... then the wii is perfectly fine to play also.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Don't forget... VC games aren't transferable. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we put up with Nintendo. :|JustPlainLucas
And may I ask where did you get this information from?
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I'm thinking Fall 2012 or Spring 2013. $399. Roughly a slightly more powerful Xbox 360 in terms of hardware. 32GB Internal Flash Memory. And a Wii-Mote/Standard Controller hybrid, and two buttons around the sides of the A button, like the A/X/Y on Cube. (Maybe make +/- those buttons?)

Possibly a camera in the Sensor bar so not only it picks up the exact place of the IR pointer, but gives you a camera to track you movement as well.

Just my guess. With the 3DS at $250 there is little hope the Wii 2 would be $299 like I hoped, after all the N64 launched for 199, the Cube for 199, and the Wii for only 50 more, but I'm thinking they will charge $100-$150 more for the home console than the handheld

darth-pyschosis

Lets not start a big price debate again before its even announced

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]Don't forget... VC games aren't transferable. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we put up with Nintendo. :|Sepewrath
And may I ask where did you get this information from?

They aren't? That does not make much sense. Especially considering the DS store stuff is transferable to the 3ds why would the not do the same for the wii?
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I predict E3 2011 we'll see something about the next gen nintendo system
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

not neccesarily theres a thread that said sony is canning;./holding back ps4 plans ms may follow suit so ,

nintendo can still release their hd system if that happens next yr or yr after ,

just expect less exclusives on other platforms lol

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Ive always been a loyal nintendo fan since I was younger, but I must say the non-HD wii really killed it for me. its hard to come back once you make the switch to an HD console...hanzpumpsYOUup
I have a HD TV with a Wii and 360 connected to it and I have no problem playing Wii (or older) games. Maybe gaming isn't your thing? :P
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i hope so
dantheman363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dantheman363
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts
Yes, I think it is possible but not likely.
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
I am pretty sure that the next nintendo console with be at least as beefy as the 360 if not more so and will have hd. Staying one gen behind the best tech out there has worked insanely well for good ol ninty.
Incarta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 Incarta
Member since 2004 • 43 Posts

Wii HD to be revealed at E3 2012, for release Christmas 2012. Full HD, with power somewhere around the 360 and a redesigned Wiimote with improved, intergrated Wii Motion Plus.

That's my prediction.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

In the next 5 years? dude that is a long time, in the next 5 years I expect to hear something about future consoles from all of the big 3. Though for the next gen, nintendo will obviously be first, so Im expecting release to be holiday time of 2012.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
Their next console to be in HD had better be a successor, not just an HD version of the Wii. It would be too little, too late. Don't forget... VC games aren't transferable. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we put up with Nintendo. :|JustPlainLucas
You don't know that VC games are nontransferrable. You can already get them transferred to a new Wii through Nintendo and DSi games transfer to the 3DS. It's fairly logical that you will be able to transfer them to a Wii successor. Either way we don't know for sure so don't act like any thing is a fact. Also on topic obviously there will be an HD Nintendo console within 5 years.
GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

I hope so. Not so much because I'm bothered by 480i graphics (I'm getting a component cable today, hope that improves my image) -- the graphics look great when I plug my Wii into my old CRT TV -- but because the LCD TV is horrible at handling that resolution, and it's the TV I game on. A damn shame the CRT TV weighs more than a hundred pounds and is huge, otherwise I'd easily have it on my desk for Wii gaming.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I hope they go HD. Not doing so was a major graphical error on their part, as the Wii's graphics don't compare with the 360 and PS3.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#31 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

I hope they go HD. Not doing so was a major graphical error on their part, as the Wii's graphics don't compare with the 360 and PS3.

MathMattS
Yeah, but its appealing to the casual gamers who don't really care about graphics. It still all comes down to how fun the games are.
almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

im so getting tired with the HD complaint, stop it for gods sakes...

the next nintendo console will probably be HD ok, they always upgrade the graphics and the next step is HD.

hanzpumpsYOUup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hanzpumpsYOUup
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
i do, not too often though. but i think its more of a familiarity thing...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
less than 5 years? do you even have to ask? of course!
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

To be honest I'll be really pissed off if they don't release one this year. I more than likely won't get a 3DS until a new Ace Attorney game comes out for it so I need my Nintendo fix until then! It should be able to render all the Wii games in 720p/1080p and not just upscale them. Its more than possible to do that anyway.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#36 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Sure. I would count on it. Nintendo are not dumb. They know that they can make piles of money if and when they go HD.

But I most likely will not be following their lead. I have had a Wii since launch, and still don't have the game I want for it. A true Zelda game. Not a good port. If SS is fantastic and they release another in this console cycle, then I will think about going with Nintendo in the future.

I enjoy my Wii. Just not as much as I should.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

To be honest I'll be really pissed off if they don't release one this year.ChubbyGuy40

start to get pissed then

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

MathMattS

Graphical error? It did exactly what it was supposed to: it lowered both the price of the Wii and the price of developing a game for the Wii, which caused the Wii to dominate. At the time of the Wii's release, HD was a novelty luxury. Now that it's finally become the industry standard, Nintendo will support it in their next console.

The lack of HD was no blunder on Nintendo's part. It was perfectly in line with Nintendo's intended audience, which was much broader in scope than the other consoles'. I think sometimes we get a wee bit too insular on forums like this and forget that we are a tiny minority in the gaming market.

Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eliteshadow413
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

I placing my money that at E3 2012 they will show it however I don't think it will be another Wii... something tells me they're going back to definitive and normal controllers. It's a shame really because Nintendo owns some of the greatest IPs and we can't see them in their deserved glory that goes for series like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, etc. And when they release this new console it better have more than just HD, I want a graphical update and online as well

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

I placing my money that at E3 2012 they will show it however I don't think it will be another Wii... something tells me they're going back to definitive and normal controllers. It's a shame really because Nintendo owns some of the greatest IPs and we can't see them in their deserved glory that goes for series like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, etc. And when they release this new console it better have more than just HD, I want a graphical update and online as well

Eliteshadow413
Wouldn't that be a huge step backwards? Motion controls are what won them their current huge market share and it is their main claim to innovating gaming this gen.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

They might talk about the successor right at the GDC this week since Iwata has a keynote or they could start talking at E3 this year. But the new console won't be released this year. 2012 might be possible.

My predictions :
-Motion controls to stay and I would not be surprised that the vitality sensor to have a major role.
-To be in HD and might have the 3D compatiblity
-New architecture in the hardware
-To have holographic storage (since Nintendo owns the technology)
-VC and Wiiware games to be transferrable to the next console like the 3DS. The next console will also have the feature to buy them if you didn't before.
-Friend codes to stay but to be unified like the 3DS.
-Has the GameCube/Wii Chip to be backwards compatible with Wii games and GameCube games.

MagnisionZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MagnisionZero
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I was got reminded by a thing. One of the high "chiefs" in Nintendo said that they feel that they did nothing wrong with the Wii and that the new Nintendo Console will be insanely mind-blowing. I love the Wii, I gotta say. HD or not, Graphics does not matter. SNES is the best console ever (imo) and that system SURELY does not support HD x'D But I do believe they will go for better online and HD graphs atleast. But we just gotta wait and see what will happen :)
TehOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TehOverkill
Member since 2011 • 754 Posts

I was got reminded by a thing. One of the high "chiefs" in Nintendo said that they feel that they did nothing wrong with the Wii and that the new Nintendo Console will be insanely mind-blowing. I love the Wii, I gotta say. HD or not, Graphics does not matter. SNES is the best console ever (imo) and that system SURELY does not support HD x'D But I do believe they will go for better online and HD graphs atleast. But we just gotta wait and see what will happen :)MagnisionZero

Full HD and perfect online integration are a pre-requisite for next gen. consoles. I also hope they continue investing in the motion-controls market.

nindoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nindoten
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i think in one year we will see the new nintendo console and it will be HD.
Avatar image for TotodilePwnsYou
TotodilePwnsYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TotodilePwnsYou
Member since 2011 • 63 Posts
[QUOTE="Eliteshadow413"]

meetroid8
Wouldn't that be a huge step backwards? Motion controls are what won them their current huge market share and it is their main claim to innovating gaming this gen.

Especially after seeing Sony and Microsoft trying to emulate the success of the Wii's controls, it's really hard to believe that their next console won't implement motion controls. I mean, if they wanted to ditch motion controls, they wouldn't have put them in the 3DS.