my friend tells me that the storyline of twlight princess is really bad...

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ryuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 Ryuku
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts
my order of favs OOT, TP, WW, MM those are only for consoles... i won't even add in the handhelds
Avatar image for captain0bvious5
captain0bvious5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 captain0bvious5
Member since 2005 • 1583 Posts
TP had a stupid, stinky, fat, poopy, looserish storyline. A retard can think of better material, and that is no lie.FPSjohn
Exactly
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I personally liked TP's story, I found it very compelling and the characters are memorable and convincingly part of the world.  In contrast I found Final Fantasy 12 had a disappointing story, oddly due to the lack of character developement an RPG usually has an advantage over an adventure game in.  Could you have not given an example of what your friend thinks a good game story is? its easier to say said game has a worse story than another game, but to say TP's story is actually really bad  sounds like mindless bashing really.
fudg__er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 fudg__er
Member since 2007 • 1185 Posts
your friend is stupid
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
is that true..trackxcboi
It really all depends on what his point of view was concerning why he didn't like it. So asking in this forum is at best just going to be a rant for or against.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

wow looks like zelda fanboys are in abundance today. You people are moronscaptain0bvious5

So tell me then, because the story is not as good as OOT it is automatically bad? calling people morons for blindly defending a franchise they like is one thing, but when you are arguing that the story is bad merely because there are better storys about thats just as stupid. 

callmewaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 callmewaffle
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="captain0bvious5"]wow looks like zelda fanboys are in abundance today. You people are moronscsliney

So tell me then, because the story is not as good as OOT it is automatically bad? calling people morons for blindly defending a franchise they like is one thing, but when you are arguing that the story is bad merely because there are better storys about thats just as stupid. 

Um, what else are people supposed to do?  If there was only ONE story in the whole world, and it was Dr. Seuss's Red Fish Blue Fish, of course we'd compar it to that.  The only way to judge a story's merit is how it holds up to its contemporaries.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

let me ask you all one thing...through-out all of OOT....is there even one character that is as interesting as Midna?..... Or the Yetti's for that matter:P

*Sheik doesn't count. Just because it was surprising to find out that he was actually a chick doesn't make him/her a good character* 

callmewaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 callmewaffle

let me ask you all one thing...through-out all of OT....is there even one character that is as interesting as Midna?

*Sheik doesn't count. Just because it was surprising to find out that he was actually a chick doesn't make him/her a good character* 

Shinobishyguy

What makes Midna so special?  She's pretty simple, even though there's a whole fiction wrought around her existence, she's not as special as all the stronger characters lik Durania, Saria, Ruto, Shiek, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf himself from Ocarina.  What role did Zant really play?  So he made hyrule dusky, big deal.  Or Ganondorf in Tp.  They're just there.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
let me wrap this up. It's not, if you think it is then  you obviously have no attention to detail and need to replay it. Your friend is a complete idiot and should die. I'm getting some waffles.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

let me ask you all one thing...through-out all of OT....is there even one character that is as interesting as Midna?

callmewaffle

What makes Midna so special?  She's pretty simple, even though there's a whole fiction wrought around her existence, she's not as special as all the stronger characters lik Durania, Saria, Ruto, Shiek, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf himself from Ocarina.  What role did Zant really play?  So he made hyrule dusky, big deal.  Or Ganondorf in Tp.  They're just there.

hmm...the only roles those character you mentioned there were to be sages and nothing more, once they become sages they don't do anything execept for sealing Ganondorf into the sacred realm.It's the development of Midna that makes her special. How she's sarcastic and seemingly un-caring in the begining and then she grows attached to you and starts to become more concerned about the world of light and the well-being of people and all of that jazz. with the sages......they just become sages and thats it...
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

TP just felt like a side story in the great Zelda storyline...it has nothing to do with OOT or WW. It makes no sense to the rest of the games. At least, what I, or a regular person understands of the story.  Of course this is my opinion.

callmewaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 callmewaffle
[QUOTE="callmewaffle"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

Shinobishyguy

hmm...the only roles those character you mentioned there were to be sages and nothing more, once they become sages they don't do anything execept for sealing Ganondorf into the sacred realm.It's the development of Midna that makes her special. How she's sarcastic and seemingly un-caring in the begining and then she grows attached to you and starts to become more concerned about the world of light and the well-being of people and all of that jazz. with the sages......they just become sages and thats it...

Wow way to dumb it down, The sages are oftentimes people Link knows who when he encounters in teh future are struggling to combat Ganon's evil.  When Link meets Saria in the future, its really touching.  Never got that in TP.  Midna just manipulates you, then abruptly changes her attitude for some reason midway through.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="callmewaffle"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

callmewaffle

Wow way to dumb it down, The sages are oftentimes people Link knows who when he encounters in teh future are struggling to combat Ganon's evil.  When Link meets Saria in the future, its really touching.  Never got that in TP.  Midna just manipulates you, then abruptly changes her attitude for some reason midway through.

I'm sorry...but I found Saria to be somewhat of a steriotypical cookie cutter character "the child-hood friend that plays a bigger role later in the story OMG!!" Durania...well.he becomes your "brother" I suppose that has some meaning....but I don't see it. He becomes a sage and thats it. Ruto I gotta agree was pretty damn funny, Link dodged the bullet with that one XD.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="mario_bros_"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="ColonialMustard"]Based upon what? In my experience with Zelda games the stories have always been very basic. It was always the gameplay that pushed the player to the end of the game. So I'm curious, what zelda game has got your standards up so high?? I'm guessing Ocarina, which I'll agree has a better story, but it still isn't that great compared to some of the Final Fantasy's and Metal Gear Solid's. Then again it's all a matter of opinion, isn't it? Shinobishyguy

Exactly, Zelda usually is about the gameplay. But Nintendo decided to put a story, to make a more complex fighting system (hidden skills), to have a parallel world mechanic, the wolf mechanic, etc... They wanted to have everything. Obviously they'd never exceed in all aspects, yet it was pretty clear they wanted to have everything, which is just impossible. If they had focused in one aspect (what happened to the whole animal interaction they were bragging about when 'Zelda 2005' was announced? It's barely there) and almost inevitably exceeded, which is what Nintendo usually does, there wouldn't have been an OK story, an OK fighting, a mediocre parallel world... There's even some gimmickish gameplay in the main quest (Goron sumo, saving the carriage, flying with the beast) in a very Metal Gear like fashion. In the end TP tends too much to a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

Ok you really can't be too bright if u think 7 hidden skills which you can look at how to do anytime in the game, or being able to turn into a wolf is complicated.They didn't want the game to have everything (as it appears to you) they wanted it to be enjoable for the buyer. Besides i think it was a good idea to spice up the game a little, if they didn't do anything new the same-old basic's would get old. But hey your right, TP has a suky story line, that must be why gamespot rated it 8.9 and the public rated it 9.5

It's not complicated, it just is a waste to try to improve all aspects of the game, and after years of development, do it in a pretty mediocre way. At the end, few things are memorable, as none of them has reached, let's say, quintessence - and if you think Nintendo just meant they'd make an enjoyable game when they said "it's the best Zelda and most beautiful game Nintendo has ever made", then their standards are pretty messed up, because its impact in the industry - as for gaming design - is near zero, unlike OoT or WW. As for the "new" things they added, most of them may be new in Zelda, but have been done to death (and way better) in many other games. Unless for someone who only plays Zelda, it's far from fantastic. Jeff rated TP 8.8 not because he's the bad guy who thinks it's fun to disagree with millions of gamers, but just because TP does pretty much everything a Zelda has to do, but nothing so well it will inspire designers or be remembered for years. Yet, it has pros enough to be what Gamespot rates as a "great" game.

WW had a big impact on the gaming indusrty? I'm sorry...but I don't see any other games using boring as hell sailing sequences and mediocre fetch-quests like the triforce shard event.

From an artistic standpoint, it did. "Art direction" started being taken more in consideration, after all discussions WW provoked.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

callmewaffle

I agree with you, I think Nintendo should have focused more on TP characters. Even the Rito postman in WW was an interesting character. The weird thing is that many chars in TP are very well designed, as the Goron Elders, still I don't find them as memorable or interesting. It's like they have no soul, as if Nintendo didn't put love enough while making TP.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="callmewaffle"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

Wintry_Flutist

I agree with you, I think Nintendo should have focused more on TP characters. Even the Rito postman in WW was an interesting character. The weird thing is that many chars in TP are very well designed, as the Goron Elders, still I don't find them as memorable or interesting. It's like they have no soul, as if Nintendo didn't put love enough while making TP.

true true. I honestly feel that they just should have made Zant the main villian. That way they could have fleshed out his character a little more from being just a disgruntled jester who gains power.
Mortaci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Mortaci
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
well first has your friend even played twilight princess.
trackxcboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 trackxcboi
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts
yea i agree even though OOT had a good story doesnt mean any other game has a horrible story
trackxcboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 trackxcboi
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts

well first has your friend even played twilight princess.Mortaci

actually yes he has

hes in the water temple 

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Mortaci"]well first has your friend even played twilight princess.trackxcboi

actually yes he has

hes in the water temple 

but..that's only almost half way through.
callmewaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 callmewaffle
[QUOTE="trackxcboi"]

[QUOTE="Mortaci"]well first has your friend even played twilight princess.Shinobishyguy

actually yes he has

hes in the water temple 

but..that's only almost half way through.

And everyone knows you can't judge a story until you're 3/4s through the game :roll:

justin_012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 justin_012
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
well i hate zelda..sooooooo i think they did prety good considerign i h8 it....
Poodishplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Poodishplayer
Member since 2005 • 410 Posts
First off, TP has a pretty good storyline. It is fun to play, and looks great. That said, it stands in the shadow of it's much more talented brother, OoT. I personally think a OoT remake would be spectacular, but who wants to play an old story when a new story could be told? TP, while incredible, lacks in these categories compared to OoT: TP took itself too seriously, unlike OoT. The trailer promised so much more than was given. The game felt like it took place in the wilderness areas of California rather than in the ancient land of Hyrule. The environments, while much more stunning, didn't "seem" as immersive as OoT. The game doesn't have a legendary feel: it feels more like a gimmick along the lines of Rayman 3, or Sonic Adventure. The originality wasn't as high as OoT, and the wolf mechanics seemed a bit repetitive at times. There really wasn't a good bad guy buildup to the story: You find yourself wondering why you are doing what you are doing in some levels; OoT, it was clear who you had to kill and why. OoT had that lonely/ancient/apocalyptic feel while playing, that was backed up by the great music that reflected those feelings. Oot truly felt like an adventure worth risking unlike TP. Also, OoT left alot to the imagination, and had a way of getting  you to love the characters while they really didn't say or do too much. TP seems like it tried to hard to make characters work, and lost sight of its original goal. Alot of the levels feel the same in this game too. Not to mention, most of us grew up with OoT, which brings back a sense of nostalgia during replay. This will probably happen for many younger players of TP. OoT felt like a fiction story, and TP felt like non-fiction story: both work, but fiction always seems more fun. Overall, both games are incredibly awesome, but OoT wins in the end. At least TP kicked the **** out WW, which burns in the hottest chambers of ****.
GFXBayleef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GFXBayleef
Member since 2005 • 4290 Posts

While I agree the story could be improved on (predictable much?), it doesn't even really begin until AFTER the water temple.

If your friend is in the water temple now, ask him what he thinks of it after beating the boss there. ;)

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#128 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I say play the game pay attention to the story and decide for yourself.
reidwii1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#129 reidwii1
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
I guess there's mixed thoughts on the subject, but....the story took me to a place in gameing I havn't been yet,......I thought it was a compelling (want to know more) story. the twist at the end with Midna being the twilight princess...awesome!....(sorry if I spoiled it!)(crap) but anyway the personel with Zant and Midna and Gannon at the end , great...ya know I guess it could have been better, but when I beat that game (just last night!) I felt a sense of completion, though, there would be more completion if there was freiken voice acting!...I wouldn't write a book using the same story line but.....it was good. don't listen to your friend ,decide for yourself that's the only way u can find out.
Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Superlink517
Member since 2004 • 1849 Posts
[QUOTE="trackxcboi"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="trackxcboi"]wow you all take games way to seriouslyWintry_Flutist

Why shouldn't we?

dont u have any other sort of life other than video games? 

Videogames are an important part of my life and I'm proud of it. Let me explain why:

As you may notice in my username, I study the flute. That leads, of course, to the study of art as a whole. If you studied art, you'd know since the 20th century it has been relying on interaction, mainly in theater (the public is often asked to participate) and music (all kind of stuff, from the use of dices to the interference of present elements). While interaction started being used in more explicit ways in art, as in those examples, another kind of cultural expression, built on interaction instead of using it as one of its elements, was born and started evolving - it's nowadays known as "videogames" but is reaching such broader audiences, that the word "game" cannot define it properly anymore. "Interactive software" is closer to it.

I'm not the kind of guy who try to provoke people by saying they have no life just because they play games, but I do realize its importance in modern culture, and its potential to be soon regarded as the 8th art. Therefore I will take games seriously instead of trying to sound cool by bashing people's interest.

Yeah, gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry for a reason: it's an extremely multi-faceted one. (Like you were saying about the flute) I play the French Horn so I have a special appreciation for a game's musicality. Unlike movies, videogames allow you to interact with your surroundings which makes it all the more immersive.

I liked Twilight Princess because of the overall experience (If you want to read my review for my full opinion, then help yourselves!). I thought the story was very personal, making it more realistic and plausible given its epic but quaint context. The music matched this mood quite nicely- an epic track with a hint of nostalgia that wasn't over-the-top.

But like you said, we all have our opinions, and people's opinions are mainly based on their experiences. Someone who grew up on a farm with horses may have a greater appreciation for that aspect of gameplay, while others are just dreamers who like the idea of going on epic quests. Some just like to play for the sake of passing the time; these things will all affect someone's opinion, so lets just leave it at that- We all have our opinions and are free to discuss them (discussing games is part of the fun anyway).

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

Twilight Princess' story is both good and bad. *everything below shall contain spoilers*

Compared to Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Link's Awakening, the story is horrible. All of those titles I just listed had great character development or just good characters in general, had a good ending that made sense and tied in with everything else that happened throughout the game, and were original compared to the other Zeldas. Twilight Princess has only one character that has character development (Midna), the ending feels as though Ganon was put in there last minute, and was very, very Ocarina of Time/A Link to the Past-esque.

At the same time, it had a good story because while the ending was bad, everything leading up to the moment was great. Ignoring the parts with Zelda, because she honestly didn't need to be there for the story to work, all the scenes did have that epic feel to it. And the last part with Midna was awesome. That part of the ending was well done. Everything else about the ending.... meh.

callmewaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 callmewaffle

i guess thers mixed thoughts on the subject, but....the story took me to a place in gameing i havnt been yet,......i thought it was a compelling (want to know more) story. the twist at the end with midna being the twighlight princess...awsome!....(sorry if i spoiled it!)(crap) but any way the personel with zant and midna and gannon at the end , great...ya know i guess it could have been better, but when i beat that game(just last night!) i felt a sense of completion, though, there would be more completion if there was freiken voice acting!...i wouldnt write a book useing the same story line but.....it was good. dont listen to your freind , decide for your self thats the only way u can find out.reidwii1

Wait, you didn't know Midna was the TP until the end.  KOTOR had a twist.  TP had nothing.

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
i didnt like it, if you can go ahead and go half way through majoras mask right now you will like tp but if not i dont think so i thing its very boring i may never buy another loz game
Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

i didnt like it, if you can go ahead and go half way through majoras mask right now you will like tp but if not i dont think so i thing its very boring i may never buy another loz gamesomegtalover

Eh? Are you saying Majora's Mask story = Twilight Princess' story? Because I don't think they are very similar at all. :?

rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#135 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
TP was a great game, but the fact is it just wasn't that compelling cinematically. Remember in Ocarina, when Ganandorf appeared after you pulled the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time? I still get shivers thinking about it. Or when you returned to the Sacred Meadow only to find Saria was missing and then Shiek came in with those emotional lines? Call me a pansy, but I still get kind of emotional when I remember those amazing moments. TP just doesn't have much of those... The story itself is alright, but it just doesn't pull all those strings that a good story does. Even at the end, or anywhere in between, there was no great twist or anything to jolt you. Plus, things seem really rehashed.. Things are so much like Ocarina of Time and other stories...The twist after you clear the 3rd area of Twilight control (ironically, just like after you retrieve the 3 spiritual stones) occurs at the exact point as the Ocarina twist (above). And they didn't flush out some things like what exactly Zelda did to Midna after Zant owns her, and what that meant to Midna. Other than that its hard to explain, but it's definately not the most satisfying plot ever.
somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
you will have just as much fun