Miyamoto: "Star Fox will be Reborn if people purchase the 3DS remake"

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29187/miyamoto-star-fox-will-be-reborn-if-people-buy-3ds-remake/

Shigeru Miyamoto has admitted that he needs first-time players to pick up Star Fox 64 3D in order for the series to be reborn.

During a revealing Iwata Asks discussion, Miyamoto said: "I told Dylan-san (Dylan Cuthbert, Star Fox co-creator) that if this game wasn't interesting, I couldn't make any more Star Fox games! I said, "If first-time players like this game, Star Fox will be reborn!" That's how much I'm counting on this one game!

"So if there's anyone out there who wants to look at the future, please play this! (laughs)"

There hasn't been a brand new Star Fox game since Star Fox Command was released for DS in 2007. It seems that if you want any more Star Fox games to be released in the future, Star Fox 64 3D needs to be a success.

The other link takes you to the Iwata Asks feature on Star Fox 64 3D.

Sorry if this counts as advertising I'm just saying what Miyamoto said.

1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

He might've sounded like he was somewhat joking, but I'm sure that the Star Fox series would have to depend on the success of this remake. How could it make a comeback when a remake of it's best game couldn't sell well? Hopefully Star Fox 64 3D will do as well or better than Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, but after what happened to Kid Icarus I don't want another franchise to be left in the past again.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow, 3DS sales must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below expectations. Seriously. I was one of the people defending it, but at this point in time I get a feeling that the product may be in serious trouble.

I'm all for Starfox though. I'll be buying this, and I'm really hoping for a "3D Classic" version of the snes Starfox.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
dollarbills
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41576 Posts

Confirmed: Star Fox is in a do or die situation. Shame too because it's my favorite Nintendo IP.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Looks like I'll be reconsidering my stance on buying the game... If they really wanted to make the game sell, they would have added online to the game though. :| There's absolutely no reason why Star Fox 3DS shouldn't when it did on the DS 4 years ago.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Looks like I'll be reconsidering my stance on buying the game... If they really wanted to make the game sell, they would have added online to the game though. :| There's absolutely no reason why Star Fox 3DS shouldn't when it did on the DS 4 years ago.

nintendofreak_2

Yea, really. I heard the game is 1 hour long... I mean, even if it is 5 times that, Multiplayer is where I'd like to get my money's worth.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendofreak_2

Yea, really. I heard the game is 1 hour long... I mean, even if it is 5 times that, Multiplayer is where I'd like to get my money's worth.

Nozizaki

The original Star Fox had a campaign of about 4 hours or so, but it had multiple paths. However the majority of time spent on my cartridge was in multiplayer with my friends. Even with single card play, I won't be able to find people to play with because I don't know anybody who owns a 3DS, although that could change depending on who I meet next year in the dorms. This problem could easily be remedied by online play, and in this day and age, it's inexcusable that a new Star Fox doesn't have online play, especially when the previous installment on a weaker system did.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Eh, Nintendo is a business and the industry has changed. Development costs are rising, so as a business they really need to think about what's worth making and what isn't.

There is no doubt to me that Star Fox 64 3D is a test to see if franchise is relevant anymore. If it is, great, you'll get more titles. If it isn't, then it sucks, but Nintendo will invest in something else to release on the platform that will have more success. They're also a company that aims at the widest market and has been for some time, last generation was the first time that they attacked that market aggressively with Wii ____ titles and the Touch Generation games on the DS. They have to weigh their options.

I'd love to see a new Star Fox game and I'd support it - but Nintendo is also not interested in investing in something that isn't worth the payoff. We'll see after Star Fox 64 3D gets released.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not very interested in remakes. I prefer the N64 original.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

It's such a lame idea basing the future of a series on the sales of a remake. Some people just aren't interested in them.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
So they're holding the franchise hostage based on the success of a port? Yeah, I'm not touching that. "Give us forty bucks or you'll never see another game like this."
warishuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 warishuku
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts
What the hell is happening with the developers this days, now suddenly they are getting the "show me support or don't happen" ideology, and I don't like that :|
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

It's such a lame idea basing the future of a series on the sales of a remake. Some people just aren't interested in them.

Pixel-Perfect

They should have just made a game for Star Fox like what Sonic Team did with Sonic Colors and like what Netherrealm Studios did with Mortal Kombat 2011 and then it would be fair to judge the series future. This is an even bigger slap in the face than NoA's response to Operation Rainfall.

Avatar image for SpawnHellraiser
SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SpawnHellraiser
Member since 2005 • 4946 Posts

I am getting star fox for 3DS when I get the price dropped 3DS in a couple of months. I am not liking what is going on in the industry and especially with Nintendo not bringing imports to North America. Gamers are calling for the games and they blatantely shun them.

And now Miyamoto is saying that it depends on the success of Star Fox if we'll see another game. Well that's always been true for each game but to publicly announcement that as though its a slap in the face. My word...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I may get SF64DS. The idea of playing such an awesome game on the go is just so cool. Plus I would love to see a sequel that plays similarly to it. (ie branching levels, lots of replay value.) SF Adventures was good, but not in the same way as 64. Assault was also good, but the linear way the levels played out kinda hurt the replay value. (And the focus on foot combat was kinda a bit much but it was still good and the flying stages were awesome.) Command was alright, but shooting down missiles just made me want a more traditional SF game.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

They produce a critically acclaimed and extremely popular game with characters still fondly remembered by fans many years later, and then decide that's enough of that?

No wonder their business is in so much trouble.

Nintendo is only worth anything as a company because of intellectual property. Their hardware innovations are not exactly earth shattering anymore and will continue to be less so as companies like Apple do circles around them on that front. Their one saving grace is all of these popular characters and worlds they have created, and all they can think of doing is retiring them? It's insane, really.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nintendo lie...they do whatever they want...

ill buy this game because i want to play it...not because miyamoto told me to.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Meh, Zelda and Mario are the only Nintendo franchises that I really have an attachment to so I'm not really worried. On top of that, frankly I doubt the future of the series will be determined by this port. Worst case scenario, a couple gens down the road Nintendo will announce a reboot/return of the series, forums will magically fill with Star Fox fans, the game will come out and they all lived happily ever after.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I'm sure that it will suceed, so hopefully we get a new starfox. It's definit buy for me.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Like someone in this thread says, if it had wifi, I would then consider it. Without wifi, not so much.
knives913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 knives913
Member since 2011 • 142 Posts

Star Fox was dead? When did that happen and where was I?!

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

To be honest I'm disappointed by the stance Nintendo is taking with this game, but I hope that it sells a million copies

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

blackmail much?...Miyamoto you are a tool.

I will be getting Starfox 64 not because of your stupid blackmail Miyamoto.

joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
I think what he said is being blown way out of proportion. It sounds like he was semi joking. I'm sure if the game bombs then we probably won't see another game but that's true of just about any game on any platform. With that said, I'm on the fence about this game. Without wifi I'm not sure how long I'd play it and at $40 it better be more then a few hours long. I'll probably end up getting it because of the awesome kmart deals but we'll see closer to release.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Unfortunately I'm not very interested in remakes. I prefer the N64 original.

nameless12345

I agree with you. Call me crazy, but for the most part I actually prefer the look of the 64 version of OOT--the improved framerate is nice though. I think they did a better job with the starfox remake, though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34756 Posts

But it's a remake. I don't want a remake. I want a new nice Starfox game. Too much to ask for, I guess. Make a new Starfox Adventures or make a Starfox off rails, and I'd consider getting it. It's not that consumers don't want Stafox. It's you, Nintendo, and your way of making the same game for a 3rd time (I've heard the 64 version is pretty much the SNES game). Starfox has potential. I'd recommend using that instead.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#28 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
What's happening Nintendo? Miyamoto makes it sound like they are desperate for cash and success.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Crap....looks like I will have to pick it up then...

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

People act shocked when gamers rejected Adventures, Assault and Command

All good games in their own right. People didn't buy them as much, didn't have as good reception

Nintendo tried making it old school, that wasn't enough. Nintendo tried making it different, still not enough

We brought a remake and a plea from Shiggy on ourselves. I expect this to be the last SF game we see for a very long time (Like Kid Icarus time)

They've given us more than enough opportunities to buy into SF. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

Star Fox was dead? When did that happen and where was I?!

knives913
Well, some people would argue that there hasn't entry into the series since StarFox 64 so I could see why they would call it dead.
champofcube15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 champofcube15
Member since 2004 • 1596 Posts
One of my favorite IPs from Nintendo is StarFox. It bothers me that they are really considering not making anymore entries into the series if this remake doesn't sell as well as their expectations. I'm sure there are more fans of the series than first-time players.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Its fair for him to say it. If the game doesn't sell they aren't going to make more its simple.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendofreak_2

All good games in their own right. People didn't buy them as much, didn't have as good reception

Nintendo tried making it old school, that wasn't enough. Nintendo tried making it different, still not enough

We brought a remake and a plea from Shiggy on ourselves. I expect this to be the last SF game we see for a very long time (Like Kid Icarus time)

They've given us more than enough opportunities to buy into SF. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

darth-pyschosis

Adventures wasn't even originally going to be a Star Fox game. Rare added in Star Fox and co. to make the game more appealing to the masses by having a recognizable character in it. So it's not a real Star Fox game.

Assault was only 40% of what people wanted from Star Fox, and the only reason it didn't have a better reception was because the on-foot sections were revealed to be terrible (and for the most part they were). So it's hardly a Star Fox game.

Command is the only game that could be considered a real Star Fox game, because it only had the dogfights and rail shooting sections. Reviews were rather lackluster though, and 2006 was a pretty busy year for gamers with new consoles and the DS had a pretty good line up as well.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

That's really lame of them,yes.

I'll buy it though,cause i've only played the N64 version once.

But if they don't make an ace Star Fox game for the Wii U,then i'll send Ninja assasins to Miyamoto-san's house.

:)

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

nintendofreak_2

Adventures wasn't even originally going to be a Star Fox game. Rare added in Star Fox and co. to make the game more appealing to the masses by having a recognizable character in it. So it's not a real Star Fox game.

Assault was only 40% of what people wanted from Star Fox, and the only reason it didn't have a better reception was because the on-foot sections were revealed to be terrible (and for the most part they were). So it's hardly a Star Fox game.

Command is the only game that could be considered a real Star Fox game, because it only had the dogfights and rail shooting sections. Reviews were rather lackluster though, and 2006 was a pretty busy year for gamers with new consoles and the DS had a pretty good line up as well.

All three games are real Star Fox games. Assualt is considered the best of the three and its the only one that maybe has a legitimate excuse. To say any of the othersare not is ridiculous. So by this logic Kirby's Epic Earn and Zelda Skyward Sword aren't real entries into their series. Nintendo can't go around making games that don't make money. Miyamoto has preivously said that Star Fox is dead.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendofreak_2

All three games are real Star Fox games. Assualt is considered the best of the three and its the only one that maybe has a legitimate excuse. To say any of the othersare not is ridiculous. So by this logic Kirby's Epic Earn and Zelda Skyward Sword aren't real entries into their series. Nintendo can't go around making games that don't make money. Miyamoto has preivously said that Star Fox is dead.

LaytonsCat

If you'll read what I wrote, I said Command is a true Star Fox game... And no, Adventures is not a Star Fox game. It wasn't planned to be until very late in it's development and it has absolutely no gameplay elements in common with any other games in the series. Less than half of Assault had gameplay elements from the original titles.

Kirby's Epic Yarn has many elements in common with previous entries in the series, and is at worst a spin-off because it doesn't allow Kirby to copy enemy powers. Everything else is the same. I don't even know what you're trying to get at with SS, so....

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts
Meh, Zelda and Mario are the only Nintendo franchises that I really have an attachment to.forgot_it
Really....Metroid?
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
Blackmail with Sales. That sounds so familiar. *Death stares Namdai with the Tales Series*
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

nintendofreak_2

If you'll read what I wrote, I said Command is a true Star Fox game... And no, Adventures is not a Star Fox game. It wasn't planned to be until very late in it's development and it has absolutely no gameplay elements in common with any other games in the series. Less than half of Assault had gameplay elements from the original titles.

Kirby's Epic Yarn has many elements in common with previous entries in the series, and is at worst a spin-off because it doesn't allow Kirby to copy enemy powers. Everything else is the same. I don't even know what you're trying to get at with SS, so....

Epic Yarn didn't start as a Kirby game so its the same. And there are a ton of games coming out this year and you said Command sold bad because of 06 being a busy year. Thats where the Zelda reference comes from

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

I hope they patch it to add online multiplayer. I'm sure a lot of people won't buy this because of the absence of an online component.

champofcube15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 champofcube15
Member since 2004 • 1596 Posts

I hope they patch it to add online multiplayer. I'm sure a lot of people won't buy this because of the absence of an online component.

lancea34
I hope so too. Especially when Iwata said there would be DLC made available for the 3DS. Hopefully that will include patches as well.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Well I guess Star Fox is dying then, I never really liked the Star Fox 64/Assault/Command games, so I'm probably not going to buy Star Fox 64 3D, but it does suck that they are saying if this doesn't sell well they won't make any more Star Fox games because I absolutely LOVED Star Fox Adventures and I would have loved to get either a sequel or a remake/port on the 3DS.
DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

nintendo lie...they do whatever they want...

ill buy this game because i want to play it...not because miyamoto told me to.

KBFloYd

I get the feeling that people are going to avoid buying the game because Miyamoto said this. But a portable remake of a game that I can still play on my N64 even now is something that sounds worthwhile to me.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

ME: "If starfox was reborn and not just ported from n64 , im sure more people would buy the 3DS"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

ME: "If starfox was reborn and not just ported from n64 , im sure more people would buy the 3DS"

AmnesiaHaze

I agree 100%. The funny thing is that it is clear that Nintendo is targeting the snes/n64 crowd with the 3ds. Why on earth do they expect people to buy a game that they already have? Now don't get me wrong, Starfox is a great game--a classic high score esque single player venture--but it is just silly that Nintendo didn't think Starfox would sell.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendofreak_2

Epic Yarn didn't start as a Kirby game so its the same. And there are a ton of games coming out this year and you said Command sold bad because of 06 being a busy year. Thats where the Zelda reference comes from

LaytonsCat

Epic Yarn's gameplay was still very similar any other Kirby game, Adventures can't say that, and Zelda is a top tier franchise that is always at the top of gamer's most wanted lists. Star Fox isn't.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

nintendofreak_2

Zelda is a top tier franchise that is always at the top of gamer's most wanted lists. Star Fox isn't.

If you were go on the Wii Board right now and ask if people would give up Zelda SS for Star Fox the results would startle you

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nintendoboy16

darth-pyschosis
I was one of those who enjoyed Star Fox Adventures and Assault. :)
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

nintendofreak_2

I'm sorry but its the truth. Gamers have three chances to make SF more popula than what it is. Nintendo tried mixing things up, keeping things the same and everything else

Gamers can only blame themselves