missing franchises

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Does Nintendo still care about it's other franchises anymore? I am talking about Pilotwings, Wave Race, F-zero, Star Fox and Kirby. When Wii first came out F-zero and Starfox were like the first games on VC but how come there hasn't been any talk of them coming to wii? We are in the 3rd year of Wii and yet a lot of the franchise are still missing. During the N64 and GC eras we had most of the games I mentioned on the system in the same amount of time. I understand Ninendo wanted to branch out and attract other people but what about all the great franchises that still have yet to return? I was really hoping that F-zero or starfox would be announced instead of 2 new marios and a metroid. Mario is great and whatever plus Metroid other M looks cool, but I would have rather had other franchises I haven't seen in a while. Will they ever come to the Wii or am I just wasting my time.

I bought a Wii with the expectations that these games would hit the system at some point, but there isn't so much as a word that any of these franchises are in development.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
ganga, your right. IDK why people whine about this. I want to see some of these games as well, but you cant let that cause you from enjoying games of today. There are more then enough great games on all the systems to keep you entertained. There hasnt been a punchout game in years, and they made one for Wii. Maybe they taking a break on Starfox or Kirby because when it comes down to it, they suck compared to newer franchisees. Yea, they could revive them, but unless they do it perfectly right, no one will care. Look at Mega Man, once it went 3d, it sucked, but back to its roots and greatness with MM9. Starfox was a great series until GC, then it sucked. i dont want another crappy game ruining its name. Sonic is a good example of a IP that despite its past greatness, should be dead now. Same with Tomb Raider. Maybe Nintendo knows this and doesnt want to ruin the legacy that some of its IPs have.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and whine. "I want mah F-Zero and Star Fox! :cry:" Seriously though, I still have hope for those 2 franchises. We'll just have to wait and see.
In-Flamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 In-Flamez
Member since 2008 • 426 Posts

when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.ganga_

Maybe we want Mario to die?

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamenerd15

What new franchise have we had from Nintendo? the "Wii___" games are no substitute for actual software that isn't a tech demo or packed in with some shell just to get people to buy it. As far as 3rd parties are concerned, what new "franchises" have they brought. No More Heroes could be considered one. The Sonic exclusive wii games are crap. Red steel is another with the first one being pretty poor. Zack and Wiki as well as Deadly Creatures won't see a sequel so that isn't a franchise. Bloom Blox is only cool for multiplayer. Resident Evil chronicles is a spin off and a light gun game. So please tell me where are these new great franchises you speak of? I see developers canning their wii games more so than announcing the continuation of the IP. Dewy's Adventure and Elebits have not had sequels.

appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I would rather see new series/franchises from Nintendo rather than revival of old (although new Metroids are OK since they skipped the N64 era, I figure they owe us some more). It would be nice if Nintendo had a non-Mario epic RPG series to compete with the Final Fantasy's and Dragon Quests. I'm sure Nintendo could pull it off, but I've yet to seen it happen.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamenerd15

Kirby is awsome for one thing. There hasn't been a bad Kirby game yet except for that star ride game, but as far as adventure game wise, it is good.

Star Fox Adventures wasn't a bad game, it just added a spin off to the series. Assault was not bad either, they just switched gears from being a completely multiplayer experience to putting in a singleplayer game aswell. I will admit that these games weren't as good as the 64 game, but they were still cool.

After seeing the intro to Wii Sports 2, there is no excuse not to do Pilowings. That game would work so well on Wii and actually be a game that Nintendo could market to both casual and veteran gamers.

Why is everyone making this about star fox? I mentioned more than just that. We haven't seen F-zero is 6 years. We haven't seen pilotwings in 13. We haven't seen Wave Race in 8. We have seen Mario and Metroid a billion times last generation and this generation.

It looks like a lot of people here have never played half the games I mentioned but claim to have owned previous systems. Everyone who owned any previous Nintendo knows that F-zero and Wave Race along with Pilotwings rocked.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

TC, Im going to agree with you partially. Im not happy that good, proven franchises are being left by the wayside to make way for the next iteration of mario / metroid / zelda. If you think about every franchise ever developed by Nintendo, you have:

Balloon Fight, Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus, Mother / Earthbound, Kirby, Wave Race, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Star Fox, 1080 Snowboarding, Doshin The Giant, Chibi Robo and Pikmin.

I know not all of these franchises are good, I know some will never appear on the Wii, but there are some that really leave me scratching my head as to why they havent been announced. Wave Race, DK, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Star Fox, 1080 and Pikmin in particular. I think that people certainly have the right to state their misgivings in a company that is become complacent and without risk.

Then again, Nintendo are backing Punch-Out!! and a new Sin and Punishment, so maybe we should have a little more faith.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamenerd15

I guess I thought these would be out sooner since in previous generations, those games have always been rather early in the system's lifecycle. I don't want to be waiting until the end of the Wii's life for these games finally to make an appearance. It's not so much that I am trying to be a selfish bum, it's the fact that these F-zero, Wave Race, Pilotwings and Star Fox are games that could definitely prove that motion controls rock and really show that wii is next generation material. I bought a wii hoping these games would have an incarnation on the wii. These games feel like no brainers to me and it baffles me to see why they haven't been put into development yet.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ganga_
well i would count LKS, No more Heroes, Red Steel, PES, Boom Blox, de Blob, Excite Bots, Trauma Center, Endless Ocean to name a few. i'm enjoying a lot of these games. for me these are great games. imo a lot of the oldschool nintendo gamers are just not willing to give new games a chance, they're like "mehr, i want my old franchises back.".
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

Ya i wish they would calm down with Mario and make some other games like F-Zero, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.ganga_
yeah, we need more "I want F-Zero Wii" threads :P
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

[QUOTE="ganga_"]when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.In-Flamez

Maybe we want Mario to die?

Seriously??? Mario sets the standard for what a platformer is. All other games try to be mario. What does Kirby do that is so special? What about starfox? there are tons of better action flying games, what makes starfox so special. There hasnt been a good one since N64. Kirdy, same, F-Zero, same.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

well i would count LKS, No more Heroes, Red Steel, PES, Boom Blox, de Blob, Excite Bots, Trauma Center, Endless Ocean to name a few. i'm enjoying a lot of these games. for me these are great games. imo a lot of the oldschool nintendo gamers are just not willing to give new games a chance, they're like "mehr, i want my old franchises back.". ganga_

Excite Bots is part of a franchise born on the NES. Apart from Endless Ocean, which Im not sure about, none of those games were developed by Nintendo themselves.

I want to see Nintendo take some risks again with old and new franchises alike. Its not about old gamers willing to give new games a chance, its about Nintendo playing it safe with the mario / metroid / zelda combo... again.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ganga_
i never talked about nintendo only, but you're right, nintendo hasnt come up with many new franchises, allthough Wii Sports is a franchise for me. didnt know that Excite Bots is an older franchise. i would like to see any kind of good games no matter if they are from Nintendo or not. (dont get me wrong, I'm happy with the library)
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Star Fox, F-Zero, and Kirby.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

hey its better than the me too/port version threads

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I say, if people love certain franchises, like my love for F-Zero, then we should have our voices heard so Reggie can do something about it.

Otherwise, they might not even know about the demand.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I'm still waiting for a "Mii World" game.

Kinda like "drawn to life" or whateverbut with your Mii avatar. I think it would be sweet if we could've played Mario Galaxy with your Mii

WEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

jim1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jim1234567890
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

yeah they definitely need to make a new star fox - but just straight flying like the 64 version

maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#22 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts

Don't worry, they will come.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Not every generation is going to have every franchise. Some are revived (Punch-Out and Sin & Punishment). there will be new installments (excitebots/excite truck, endless ocean, wii ___, etc.) and some just won't happen (I'm leaning towards Star Fox). Also keep in mind that the Wii has close to 2 1/2 years at the least. A lot can and will happen.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
As if you've never compained about a game that you desired. If you haven't, then you're hardly a gamer at all.
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ganga_
[QUOTE="ganga_"]when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.so_hai
As if you've never compained about a game that you desired. If you haven't, then you're hardly a gamer at all.

people like to use this "if ur not doing this, ur not a real gamer" argument. and who said i never complained about a game i desired? but i dont come up with a topic about it every few days, or if i see there is already a topic about it, i use that one and dont make my own.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamenerd15

Red Steel was bad for one and Little Kings story can't yet be called a franchise, it only has one installment. You don't seem like you know about any of the games I am talking about. Excite truck/bots goes all the way back to excitebike. Also F-zero GX wasn't necessarily Horrible, they just made the game too hard and the story mode idea was a little lame. Also Nintendo should strive to put these games out because a lot of people thought their last iterations weren't so good. Nintendo is all about expanding games, well how about going beyond mario, metroid, and zelda. I do want new IP's as well, but it's been way too long since some of the franchise have been existence, it's not as if I am complaining about some sequel to a game that came out 2 years ago like a Mario party 9 game or something.The games I amtalking about we haven't seen in half a decade or more.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamenerd15

Also, when a veteran gamer picks up the newest system of a certain brand, they have expectations of what games should come to it. Not to turn this into system wars but the other two companies have or are delivering on their veteran fanbase's expecations. MS has Forza, PGR Halo, Splinter Cell Elderscrolls, Sony has delivered Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, Team Ico project, Gran Turismo 5, Devil May Cry 4. Sony's first party studios while creating new IP's haven't sacrificed the quality to bring us new games like Uncharted, and Infamous. Sure Nintendo has brought the veteran's a few franchises from the past, but they leave quite a bit to be desired. Sony and MS might not have brought in any new players but at least it has kept it's fanbase happy, whereas Nintendo has not kept the people who made them rich in the first place nice and fat.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ganga_
no gamernerd i've never played star fox, kirby or any of these games. thats maybe one of the reasons why i cant see this threads anymore. maybe i should make clear that i dont have anything against u, it's just the amount of threads about this topic.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#29 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
[QUOTE="so_hai"][QUOTE="ganga_"]when will people finally stop whining about franchise xy not coming to the wii. some franchises live on and some die. on ther other hand there are new franchises from nintendo and from third parties. i'm really tired of these "i want star fox wii" threads.ganga_

people like to use this "if ur not doing this, ur not a real gamer" argument. and who said i never complained about a game i desired? but i dont come up with a topic about it every few days, or if i see there is already a topic about it, i use that one and dont make my own.

How do we know that?
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
do i really need to say/justify kid icarus again? and for that matter do we really need this topic...AGAIN??
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamenerd15

Well Ganga, go buy F-zero X on the virtual console and tell me you don't want that on Wii. The thing is you don't know how Nintendo always was and what games they usually put out. The games I mentioned are top notch.

Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Josh_3691
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts

While I wouldn't mind a new F-Zero and a Wave Race game. All I want to see is Eternal Darkness 2 and Luigi's Mansion 2. Come on Nintendo make it happen!

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Well people are entitled to miss thier franchises, however its not like the Wii has come and gone. Its not even halfway through its LOWEST expected lifespan Just because they haven't been announced doesn't mean they will never come, but on the same side of token not every franchise makes the jump to every generation. So instead of complaining everyday about how Nintendo has cast aside your favorite franchise perhaps people like the TC should show some patience and wait until the Wii is near the end of its rope before complaining that these games have been forgotten, not while its still relatively close to the beginning.
Redbonk95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Redbonk95
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

Star fox has had only one (or 2, in the case of gamecube) game per system. There is still at least 3 years until the Wii dies, so I think that is a lot of time to make another star fox.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamenerd15

Nintendo has always come out with star fox f-zero, wave race, pilotwings early in each systems life cycle. I don't think fans should have to wait until wii is on it's death bed for Nintendo to finally go oh yeah we do have other franchises. We still need a proper mario golf and tennis as well. We still need a proper paper mario, we still need an a new fire emblem for wii, not a game built for the GC and then moved to wii. Don't get me wrong the game was good, but Nintendo needsto put out more than just left overs from last generation. Rogue Squadron is not happening anymore. To be honest I doubt some of these games like cursed mountain will be that amazing. Wehad a lot more of these veteran franchises in the same time period on N64 and GC then we have had on wii.By 99 N64 had wave race,actualnew zelda, f-zero, and pilotwings with kirby on the way.By 2004Nintendo had Wave Race, Star Fox, F-zero, Paper Mario, Mario Golf, RogueSquadron, It had cool multiplats like Mortal Kombat,Soul Calibur 2, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk when it was still good beyond good and evil, Fight Night and so forth. It had new Ip's likePikmin, Eternal Darkness, Baten Kaitos.

I see the topics about what cool games to get on wii and it's always like the same 10 games over and over. I mean everyone says that there is a whole lot of games on Wii, but yet everyone names the same ones or says to go back and play the VC.

You can basically get VC games on your PC now and with some of the collections coming out like the sonic one for the other systems why spend 8 dollars for one sega game when I can spend 30 and get 50 sega games. Also with the old games like street fighter and mortal kombat that come out in Arcade perfect condition with added online, why would I buy the VC version with no added content that costs more money? I am not trying to say it's all bad, but when you can get more and a better version of games somewhere else, why play be stuck with the Wii version? Half of you that name the cool games coming out don't even know if it will be good. You are just hyping the game.

Everyone hyped the Conduit and look how that turned out. It wasn't bad per se but it wasn't the killer app title people made it out to be. So far this year most of the veteran titles have been remakes. I didn't buy a wii to play PS1 or GC titles. It's a shame that people think that this is brand new stuff when it isn't or the excuse " I only own a wii so I have to support these games" No you don't, you can demand that the developers actually put effort into games and go beyond GC and PS1. With you buying these remakes, that only says to Nintendo and developers why make new games when we can just shovel out old games and still make a bundle.

I find it amamzing that RE 4 still sold like hot cakes when it has come out 3 times, new controls or not, seriously.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#36 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Kid Icarus needs a new game Pit was brought back in Brawl now it's about time Nintendo make a game on him I want another Donkey Kong game but I'd only want it if Rare was developing it because they the best at developing the series but they can't Microsoft owns the company no other Donkey Kong game beats the Donkey Kong Country series.

1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

They really should bring Pit back. If they can bring back the charm and fun Punch-Out! had, they could easily do the same for Kid Icarus. Smash Bros Brawl breathed new life into it, and I could only imagine the possibilities and features it could bring to the table.

Kirby is another franchise I want to see very badly. They will make one for the Wii eventually, but I hope it'll be just as good if not better than the others.

Donkey Kong is missing as well. Although it wouldn't go back to what Rare made it be, it would still be better than nothing at all.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I think people should take comfort in the fact that Metroid was basically dead for years after Super Metroid and now it has exploded into a bunch of great games. A delay is ok, is death you have to worry about. They have a Mii edition of Pilotwings, and Wave-Race already in Wii sports resort. Sure it is cheap and thin, but I think they are exploring the domain a bit with that game. The others, F-Zero, Star Fox and Kirby... I'm sure we will see another one of each eventually.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamenerd15

We will see those eventually just like we will see fatal frame 4 eventually right?