Mini usb power connector

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eliancho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Eliancho
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

A guy that I know told me that I can use a regular mini usb on the ds... but I see that they're not quite the same, despite that it fits almost without trouble. And I say almost, because you have to do little pressure :P

It doesn't charge when I plug it in the USB of my PC though...

In this picture you can see two differents mini usb: http://remates.cibernetica.com.mx/paquetecibertek_7.jpg

The one from the right is the mini usb that I have, and I believe that the one from the left, is the same as the DS one...

Is there any risk of doing this?

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

Ooh, usb for ds.

Who knows, why would someone use a usb cable for ds anyway?

Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts
I would not try it, seriously. They're not quite the same, and they probably won't work with each other...why else would Nintendo have made the charge port proprietary?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Use the correct cables for their intended use.
M_80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 M_80
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Sorry about necro posting, but I had to respond to this as it shows up high on Google's results page.

To the OP:

Absolutely not. Just because you can force it or that it happens to fit doesn't mean they are the same connector. It's a good bet that they aren't even pin compatible. By that I mean the pins of the jack and cable plug pins (what the cable and device use to speak to each other) do not match. There's a good chance you'l get either cross communication of one pin to two pins, or that you'll get the wrong signal from one pin going to the wrong pin. IE: Power from the power pin going to the data pin which would fry your device's power supply or damage the chipsets in the device. This is a problem with Firewire as it's very easy to "force" the cable's connector plug the wrong way in the connector jack and fry both the devices.

The Mini-B USB connector plug can only be used with Mini-B jacks (unless adapted by an adapter). I suggest reading up on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus and read up on the concept of cabling.

trx1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trx1961
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
i use mine that came with my camera . works,great. fits perfectly