Metroid: Other M name speculation (Spoilers for Super Metroid)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I just recently whent to the Metroid Wiki site to see what they say about Metroid: Other M and they have some very convincing speculation about what the name means.

"The title of Metroid: Other M is abbreviated to "MOM", and the subtitle is an anagram for "Mother", strengthening this game's connection to Mother Brain (who appears in the trailer) as well as other possible maternal themes from the series history.

It also may also refer to an infamous line from the end of Metroid: "THE GALAXY MAY BE INVADED BY THE OTHER METROID. PRAY FOR A TRUE PEACE IN SPACE."

in this picture we have the final scene of Super Metroid that is probably a flash back in this new game as it takes place right after Super Metroid and before Fusion. There seems to be a theme created in this game about motherhood as this is MOTHER brain and the child metroid that saves Samus does so because it thinksshe is its mother.

What do you guys think of this?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Interesting. Well when I saw the trailer, it seemed like the storyline would be epic, I dunno why I think this, maybe it's to do with the cinematography... It gives me a different feel to previous Metroids.

fig56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fig56
Member since 2005 • 2443 Posts

Well, since playing Metroid Prime 3 i started to wonder if Mother Brain could have been or is an Aurora Unit. She resembles them alot in many ways. I'm not sure how or what role she plays in Other M but i am definitely going to find out.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
I'm really excited for this game. Looks like they are going to reveal how Samus' CO died. Ane maybe we get to fight mother brain again.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Hmm very gret theory there. I never thought about that. And although we do have a recreation of the end of Super Metroid, I don't think we can say Other M takes place after Super as Reggie told Matt at IGN that they aren't releasing where it fits in the Metroid mythos yet.

I feel that, from the trailer when Samus looks at the female scientist who also looks like Samus that maybe there is a clone of Samus. Other M alludes to this even though it seems to be "Other Metroid" and obviously she's not a metroid. Still possible though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pikminmaniac

Hmm very gret theory there. I never thought about that. And although we do have a recreation of the end of Super Metroid, I don't think we can say Other M takes place after Super as Reggie told Matt at IGN that they aren't releasing where it fits in the Metroid mythos yet.

I feel that, from the trailer when Samus looks at the female scientist who also looks like Samus that maybe there is a clone of Samus. Other M alludes to this even though it seems to be "Other Metroid" and obviously she's not a metroid. Still possible though.

Darth-Samus

1up has an interview with the creators of Metroid: The Other M and they say that it takes place in between Super Metroid and Fusion. They also say that girl that's with Samus is not a clone, but is a very important character.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
im not sold on the name. "Other M"
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

Pikminmaniac

1up has an interview with the creators of Metroid: The Other M and they say that it takes place in between Super Metroid and Fusion. They also say that girl that's with Samus is not a clone, but is a very important character.

Good cause i hate clones!

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

i agree. stormtroopers were better. ok but on a serious note maybe its her sister?
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
All i know, is we all wished that Nintendo would someday make a new 3rd person metriod. but we never thought it would actually happen. But, it happened, and you know what, it looks as good as we hoped it would. From all Metriod fans, THANK YOU!!!
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pikminmaniac

All i know, is we all wished that Nintendo would someday make a new 3rd person metriod. but we never thought it would actually happen. But, it happened, and you know what, it looks as good as we hoped it would. From all Metriod fans, THANK YOU!!!da_chub

Yes I agree. The Metroid Prime games are very good, but Super Metroid is still a way better game. Other M looks a lot more like Super Metroid and the style of gaming that I love. This game will hopefully far better capture what Metroid is all about!

Did you notice? Nintendo R&D1 are the people working with Team Ninja on this project. They are responsible for Metroid Fusion for the GBA and Super Metroid on the SNES (They are credited with every 2D Metroid ever made basically). Expect amazing things from this game people!

Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
Nice finding, but it's acronym, not anagram (: Sorry just had to say ;p Like the thread!
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

Anyone notice that if you put the "M" in front of "other" you get Mother?

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts

lancea34
OOOOOH. Interesting!
superapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 superapo
Member since 2009 • 1714 Posts

lancea34
never thought of that good find
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

lancea34
I was just about to say that. Maybe it's going to be the Mother of Mother Brain. GRANDMOTHER BRAIN!!!!
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="lancea34"]

nini200

I was just about to say that. Maybe it's going to be the Mother of Mother Brain. GRANDMOTHER BRAIN!!!!

I put that in the main post. Why didn't you guys see it? It's quoted from the Metroid Wiki

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

i agree. stormtroopers were better. ok but on a serious note maybe its her sister?starwarsjunky

lol you do realize that stormtroopers are clones right?

but I was going to say that about her being Samus' sister...siblings do look alike guys!

This is what I hate about Nintendo games (if you like digging into their stories), Metroid or even Zelda.

Aurora Units do have a very strong resemblance to Mother Brain. Maybe they were stollen from the federation by the Space Pirates, and they up'd the design (to create Mother Brain) originally. Who knows....

File:Metroid-other-m-1.jpg

this screen is so doctored though, it's not even funny!!!

Kryptnyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Kryptnyt
Member since 2008 • 4443 Posts

Mother Brain was created by the Chozo with influence by the Federation as a system of relaying info back and forth, so yes, Aurora's design could easily be based off of Mother Brain.

I personally would like to see the return of Kraid, just... maybe not with the helmet thing he had in prime, since his weak point was his eyes he might be hard like that :P

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danger_ranger95

Mother Brain was created by the Chozo with influence by the Federation as a system of relaying info back and forth, so yes, Aurora's design could easily be based off of Mother Brain.

I personally would like to see the return of Kraid, just... maybe not with the helmet thing he had in prime, since his weak point was his eyes he might be hard like that :P

Kryptnyt

man, you're first sig gif is driving me crazy. That dude reminds me of Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin, singing away.

I'm confused on this game though... I hope it turns out good

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
just for the heck of speculating, why not? we know that nothing that comes from here will be true anyways :P i think... THE GAME'S RELATED TO THE MOTHER (aka earthbound) SERIES O_o
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

AmayaPapaya

come on, how can you hate solid snake and all those clones and psychotherapies to "imbue other people with dead people's minds" :P as confusing as MGS is, a big part of the characters are clones and/or pseudo-clones, so nobody should hate clones... or at least make an exception :P
The-Elitest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 The-Elitest
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

It cant be her other sister because she never had another sister because if u read the comics ridley killed her mother and father, she was an only child. :D

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danger_ranger95

she didn't have to have a sister. Clones are not siblings, and can be created (if you believe the clone mumbo jumbo)

I don't know what to think though, I don't think the girl looks anything like Samus.