Mario Kart 7 shortcut exploits to be patched out

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Link

Other elements of the system update include the ability to update select software, such as a Mario Kart 7 update coming in mid-May that will resolve shortcut exploits in the game.Nintendo

Finally. The Wuhu tracks were at the top of my list in single player, but they were obviously ruined in multiplayer. Good on Nintendo for fixing this.

And I guess this debunks the theory that those exploits were put in there on purpose, eh?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts
Good. Weird they claimed that they wouldn't fix it because "it would be unfair for early MK players". Glad they didn't decide to go with that incredibly stupid decision.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts
good to see ninty are taking up patching now. yes one can argue it shouldnt have been there in the first place but at the end of the day any game that supports online MP also needs to have patching. its impossiblt to catch every exploit and have the game perfectly balanced before launch. patches arent needed so much for Sp or local MP as you can just thump the person beside you for cheating :P. i just hope this isnt the start of a slippery slope. we have seen it with other games on other consoles where the publisher is just shipping out games with serious bugs to meet deadlines. i just hope ninty arent thinking of doing the same (3rd parties will do it but there is little nintendo can really do about that).
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

Huh, I thought the way the 3DS and the game were designed made it impossible to patch.

Well, that's great news! Maka Wuhu will finally be playable online! No more spamming! :D

Sonic536

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Sonic536
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts

I think it's good that nintendo isn't refusing to make a patch when there are serious problems that are found after millions of people play the game.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Finally. I honestly felt Nintendo would do it eventually ... it was just a matter of when.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

if only they could patch in an offline vs mode :( i dont always want to go online to play

i dont play online, but this is great news. This means future online games can be balanced out and shows that nintendo actually is learning the correct way to do online (just please no expensive dlc :P)

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Good news indeed. No more hitting the home button the moment the course gets selected.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Well patching the maka wuhu glitch is a given, that one was way to obvious. But what other exploits could there be in the game?
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
what was broken about? Was it just a shortcut?
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

what was broken about? Was it just a shortcut?SoAmazingBaby

A shortcut bypassing an entire section.

I'd love to race in Wuhu legit again. I love that stage. :)

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Better late than never. Thanks Nintendo.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
Unless they also patch drybones in, I will never play this so it is irrelevant to my interests.
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
So glad to hear this. Playing MK7 online has become so frustrating. Especially when you see the same people (and for some reason they always seem to be japanese) selecting the track each and every damn round. I wish there was voice chat on the system so I could abuse them. But no need for that anymore.
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
So glad to hear this. Playing MK7 online has become so frustrating. Especially when you see the same people (and for some reason they always seem to be japanese) selecting the track each and every damn round. I wish there was voice chat on the system so I could abuse them. But no need for that anymore.Twisted14
you know it got to a point where you had to use the glitch to have a chance at winning.
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
[QUOTE="Twisted14"]So glad to hear this. Playing MK7 online has become so frustrating. Especially when you see the same people (and for some reason they always seem to be japanese) selecting the track each and every damn round. I wish there was voice chat on the system so I could abuse them. But no need for that anymore.helwa1988
you know it got to a point where you had to use the glitch to have a chance at winning.

Yeah I was doing that but it's still lame. You're missing out on the rest of the course and there are also people who are unaware of the glitch.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Thank you Nintendo for not being stubborn.
FlyerxLance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FlyerxLance
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
If this is legitimate,Then I can finally play online again.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

If this is legitimate,Then I can finally play online again.FlyerxLance

It is, its coming from Nintendo themself.

SolidSnakeFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidSnakeFan
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

I had to stop playing multiplayer because the chosen map would almost always be the Wuhu tracks; the people in first and second place would always vanish without a trace soon after the race began.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Good I'm glad Nintendo are doing something about it. It's a shame Nintendo couldn't stop the morons on MKWii you know the people spamming the red shell over and over again. I am happy Nintendo are at least showing some love to the 3DS and aren't just ignoring the problem at least Nintendo want to keep the players happy.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#22 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

what was broken about? Was it just a shortcut?SoAmazingBaby

A refresher for those who missed the story so far:

On Maka Wuhu, there is a place where you can fall off the track and when Lakitu comes and puts you back on the track, you are placed nearly one-third of the track ahead of where you were. A lot of people used this trick to win races online and it bothered people who did not want to use the trick.

To a lot of people, this seemed like a glitch or an unfair exploit but a few months ago, Nintendo of America released a statement saying they had no plans to change what they called a "shortcut." Saying it was a shortcut seemed to be their way of glossing over the problem (again to just to some people, some thought it seemed intentional). ("It's not a bug, it's a feature.") Lots of us speculated this meant Nintendo was unable to patch games at the time. It was hotly debated if this statment made it OK to use the glitch/shortcut.

Now, it seems like we are wrong to assume that and Nintendo can and will patch things that affect online play. In this case, it is great news. As mentioned, it's a double edged sword since it has the potential to allow developers to release glitchy software to reach a deadline w/ the assumption they can patch it later.

JBL81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JBL81
Member since 2012 • 101 Posts

Now they just need to patch the friggin blue shells. I had the game for about 5 minutes and sold it because the onlilne was just getting too aggravating. Between blue shells, and the Maka Wuhu glitch, I sold it not too long after I got it. If they patch the bue shells so they're not so overpowered, I might buy the game again.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Raiko101
Overpowered blue shells? I want more power! Power to blow people out of races and back to the main menu.
elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
Wait, this is just for the "skip an entire section" shortcuts right? Will the programed shortcuts stay? (I dont own mk7 yet) those are fun
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JordanElek

Wait, this is just for the "skip an entire section" shortcuts right? Will the programed shortcuts stay? (I dont own mk7 yet) those are funelchiquilin
Of course. They didn't specify which exploits will be fixed, but I think it goes without saying that they'll fix the Maka Wuhu glitch since it's the most infamous and egregious glitch. The normal shortcuts are in there on purpose and for a reason.... They're not going anywhere.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#27 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Fantastic news. Too late to really fix the damage done, though. But I'm glad they at least implemented a proper patch system, as it was painfully obvious they didn't have the foresight prior to launching their flagship multiplayer game.
ericxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ericxmaster
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i used that glitch alot because the japan people kept using it put at least they patched in now also i wish they could like a few free dlc tracks for mk7 and u can buy some to that would be cool :D AND.... add me plz 3ds friend code:5198-3224-7839
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Raiko101
Quite a few people knocking the Japanese people when it comes to glitching. In my experience, the vast majority of players glitching were American. That's not to say I didn't see other nationalities doing it, just the majority were American. Everybody has different experiences though!
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#30 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Quite a few people knocking the Japanese people when it comes to glitching. In my experience, the vast majority of players glitching were American. That's not to say I didn't see other nationalities doing it, just the majority were American. Everybody has different experiences though!Raiko101

I'd imagine there was a lot of confirmation bias w/ people's preception on this issue. It's not the easiest thing to tell who is who when you're racing.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Raiko101
Well, if you stick it out to the end of the race you can usually put 2 and 2 together. But, I gave up caring a long time ago now, preferring to just hit the home button the moment the course was selected, as you know you'll be playing that track over and over again from that point onward.
brendan1454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 brendan1454
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
good thing there fixing it i hate the maku wuhu glitch it keeps making me lose
gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts
Good to hear! More interesting though is a patch coming for mighty switch force that's going to bring 5 new levels and a quick retry button.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JordanElek

Good to hear! More interesting though is a patch coming for mighty switch force that's going to bring 5 new levels and a quick retry button.gettingpatches
Nice! I hadn't heard about that. As soon as I finished Mighty Switch Force, I thought it would be the perfect game for DLC. I would've gladly paid for some new levels, but free is good too. That might up the value proposition for people who thought it had too little content to justify the price (which is a valid concern with that game).

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
That is awesome news. :D Can't wait to get Mario Kart 7.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Good to hear. I haven't really touched the game after seeing some of those shortcuts in action.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I wish they allowed at least typing if not voice before the matches, maybe voice during. The prewritten text is kind of stupid.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I wish they allowed at least typing if not voice before the matches, maybe voice during. The prewritten text is kind of stupid.

AutoPilotOn

That or they should add more lines, like: "Stop choosing Maka Wuhu you glitching son of a ****!"

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
no fair, i won't get to use it like everyone else did. :(
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
Now I will play again. The long protest of not playing mk7 will be over soon.It's been a few months...
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Good news indeed. No more hitting the home button the moment the course gets selected.Raiko101
Which was pretty much every time since everyone selected it. :P
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#42 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

About time Nintendo I hate having to play that Wuhu Mountain Loop all the time.

Bruzer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bruzer1
I just got MarioKart 7, and lovin it.
Extagia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Extagia
Agh, this patch can't come soon enough. The Wuhu maps are actually really awesome if it weren't for the exploits :( I actually thought that it was patched during the last update and the last time I played Mariokart online, I kept trying to pick the Wuhu maps to see if it's been fixed. I never got the map but my brother told me afterwards that it wasn't patched yet. I felt like a douchebag to keep picking those maps when, for once, no one else was picking them! :(
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts

Agh, this patch can't come soon enough. The Wuhu maps are actually really awesome if it weren't for the exploits :( I actually thought that it was patched during the last update and the last time I played Mariokart online, I kept trying to pick the Wuhu maps to see if it's been fixed. I never got the map but my brother told me afterwards that it wasn't patched yet. I felt like a douchebag to keep picking those maps when, for once, no one else was picking them! :(Extagia
Yeah, I was playing a game recently with someone trying to force Wuhu.. You bastard.

:P Just kidding.

But isn't there just one exploit? What did I miss?

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Raiko101
[QUOTE="Raiko101"]Good news indeed. No more hitting the home button the moment the course gets selected.rubber-chicken
Which was pretty much every time since everyone selected it. :P

I actually managed a full hour last night with nobody picking the track. Good times indeed!
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
When this gets updated I'll finally play online again :P
Bruzer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bruzer1
The update comes out around the 15th of may, forgot where I read that.
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#49 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

Thank goodness they're patching it. The glitch killed the game for me. It sucks when 5/8 people are choosing Maku Wuhu everytime.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JordanElek
But isn't there just one exploit? What did I miss?Litchie
There's a similar glitch on the other Wuhu track (Wuhu Loop?). It only saves a few seconds but that's enough for people to abuse it.