Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tchurch95
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts

Hey everyone, I just wanted to go ahead and ask what everyone thought of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I guess it's a little outdated, but I'd really like to hear what you guys have to say about it, because I just recently completed it. It was my first Mario and Luigi game (I guess it was also my first Mario RPG, as I've never played a Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG before) and I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it. As it turned out, I really, really loved it, and even at times when I was trying so hard to hate it, I still loved it.

The game, in my opinion, succeeded so well in everything it tried to do. It might not have that much replay value (which is strange because it's an RPG) but still, great game, super lengthy (25 hours to beat it, it took me! I was expecting 10 max!) and a great storyline.

In light of the upcoming Dream Team, please share your opinions!

-Tom

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

It's really an underappreciated yet great game. I wish I completed it at the time.

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tchurch95

I wish I completed it at the time.

outworld222
I thought this game would be a breeze, but like I said it was super lengthy. Not to mention the fact that it demands all your focus or you'll lose every battle.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

Its my favorite Mario RPG. I found it to be a nice break of pace from the bevy of traditional RPG offerings the ds had. Great sense of humor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room. It is a great game while it lasts though. A lot better than PiT.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

After the disappointing Partners in Time it was an awesome addition to the Mario and Luigi series. It brought back the puzzle filled open world worth exploring and refined the battle system. It's also the Mario and Luigi game with the most to do in it after the credits roll. There's just so much to do and to explore. I still haven't completed everything and I hope to some day. I must say it's the best in the series over all.

brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts

Loved Bowser's Inside Story, but agree on the lack of replayability.  If you did like it, I highly recommend you try the Paper Mario games next. In terms of quality this is how I rate them:

PM(N64) = PM:TTYD(GC) > SMRPG(SNES) >>>> SPM(Wii) >>>>>>>>>>>>> PM:SS(3DS)...Didn't even finish this one.

And for the other M&L games, they are all pretty consistent in quality, there's no really bad eggs like in Paper Mario... I'd rate them:

Superstar Saga > BIS > PIT

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
good game, but i like the paper mario games more.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It was good, but I wasn't a fan of the whole flipping the DS sideways thing for the big boss fights. Maybe it was just me, but I thought the controls at that point were just awkward. I realize there will be more of that in Dream Team, but I'm hoping it's smoother.

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tchurch95

It was good, but I wasn't a fan of the whole flipping the DS sideways thing for the big boss fights. Maybe it was just me, but I thought the controls at that point were just awkward. I realize there will be more of that in Dream Team, but I'm hoping it's smoother.

yokofox33
I can agree there. There was one fight in particular--the one where I fought the Train--where I had to kill it before it got away, and what sucked about it was that the battle was almost entirely reliant on your ability to exhale into the mic to breathe fire. The controls there were clunky and it took me several tries; I think that the game was definitely innovative though, because it worked every aspect of the DS into it's gameplay. [QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room.

I'm sure they do. I don't think I've ever completed an old FF game (I have three but I have to level grind like hell to get anywhere now) and as for other RPGs, I rarely have the motivation to get past five or six hours of gameplay. The only RPG recently besides M&L:BIS that I beat was Chrono Trigger, and that certainly took a long time. I was just saying that 25 hours certainly surpassed the amount of time I thought I would be putting into a Mario game. I think all aspects of this game surpassed my expectation actually.

Loved Bowser's Inside Story, but agree on the lack of replayability.  If you did like it, I highly recommend you try the Paper Mario games next. In terms of quality this is how I rate them:

PM(N64) = PM:TTYD(GC) > SMRPG(SNES) >>>> SPM(Wii) >>>>>>>>>>>>> PM:SS(3DS)...Didn't even finish this one.

And for the other M&L games, they are all pretty consistent in quality, there's no really bad eggs like in Paper Mario... I'd rate them:

Superstar Saga > BIS > PIT

brentendo3
Thanks! I have PM: TTYD on Gamecube, I recently traded for it and have never played. That just might be my next project... and I would emulate Superstar Saga, but the fact is that if the gameplay is anything like BIS, I wouldn't fare well on an emulator. Things would be awfully difficult.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I can agree there. There was one fight in particular--the one where I fought the Train--where I had to kill it before it got away, and what sucked about it was that the battle was almost entirely reliant on your ability to exhale into the mic to breathe fire. The controls there were clunky and it took me several tries; I think that the game was definitely innovative though, because it worked every aspect of the DS into it's gameplay. tchurch95
I actually enjoyed those boss fights even though they were really easy but that one with the train was a real pain I hated that boss battle. It also took me several tries

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tchurch95

I actually enjoyed those boss fights even though they were really easy but that one with the train was a real pain I hated that boss battle. It also took me several tries

Kaze_no_Mirai
Yeah exactly. I like the others though, they were very cool. I'm glad they didn't stick to them very often though because I feel like if they did, the game would be a lot shakier, and probably dumbed down and really easy like most of the battles due to the unreliability of the touch screen and mic.
brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brentendo3

Thanks! I have PM: TTYD on Gamecube, I recently traded for it and have never played. That just might be my next project... and I would emulate Superstar Saga, but the fact is that if the gameplay is anything like BIS, I wouldn't fare well on an emulator. Things would be awfully difficult.tchurch95

Emulation shouldn't be much of a problem.  Superstar Saga was for GBA so they didn't have any of the crazy controls like blowing or turning the screen sideways.  Good luck on TTYD it's a blast. 

tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tchurch95

Emulation shouldn't be much of a problem.  Superstar Saga was for GBA so they didn't have any of the crazy controls like blowing or turning the screen sideways.  Good luck on TTYD it's a blast. 

brentendo3
Yeah, true--but the thing about it is that my laptop isn't much of a gaming laptop, and so even VBA can sometimes be a little bit clunky in terms of speed and framerate, so the timing-based combat would probably throw me off!
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

9/ 10. Awesomely fun game. I wish there was more to the psot game, though. Aside form that, I have very little to criticize about it.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#16 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It's my favotire DS game, and that is saying a lot, because the system has an incredible library.

The game is amazingly creative, funny and surprising. And it is not outdated at all. :)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
25 hours?! It took me 17. The Mario & Luigi series is always great, but I think I liked PiT a bit more than BiS.
tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tchurch95
25 hours?! It took me 17. The Mario & Luigi series is always great, but I think I liked PiT a bit more than BiS.Minishdriveby
I haven't played PiT yet! Kinda want to now though. And obviously you're a much better player than me, I guess I'm just slow. :)

It's my favotire DS game, and that is saying a lot, because the system has an incredible library.

The game is amazingly creative, funny and surprising. And it is not outdated at all. :)

Pierst179
Wow! That really says lots, I know lots of fans revere the game but it's your favorite, huh? I think so far, my favorite is either LOZ: Spirit Tracks or Professor Layton and the Curious Village. And yeah, the only reason I said it might be outdated is because lots of people tend to talk about 3DS on this forum now, and until I get a 3DS I feel like I won't be fitting in... X)

9/ 10. Awesomely fun game. I wish there was more to the psot game, though. Aside form that, I have very little to criticize about it.

turtlethetaffer
Totally agree. When the game ended I did not feel very motivated at all to "collect" anything or go back and play more... I booted it back up and was Bowser again, out in front of the door that leads to the battle with the Dark Star. Kinda depressing that there wasn't more awesomeness to take part in, but after exploring a little and trying to level grind, I figured it'd be best if I just put it down.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]25 hours?! It took me 17. The Mario & Luigi series is always great, but I think I liked PiT a bit more than BiS.tchurch95
I haven't played PiT yet! Kinda want to now though. And obviously you're a much better player than me, I guess I'm just slow. :)

It could just be that it was your first Mario & Luigi. PiT took me 27 hours.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

It was awesome-ish. The globin was strong with this one.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room. It is a great game while it lasts though. A lot better than PiT.

25 hours is fine. Don't have time to spend 30+ hours on games, especially when they have grinding. Mario and Luigi games have NO grinding(unless you suck) and the game goes smoothly from start to finish. Not saying they are the best RPGs(They's Aren't) but that's one reason they're good. Short and simple.
tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tchurch95
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room. It is a great game while it lasts though. A lot better than PiT.

25 hours is fine. Don't have time to spend 30+ hours on games, especially when they have grinding. Mario and Luigi games have NO grinding(unless you suck) and the game goes smoothly from start to finish. Not saying they are the best RPGs(They's Aren't) but that's one reason they're good. Short and simple.

That's definitely one of the reasons I enjoyed BIS so much. I typically hate level grinding because some games take it to unforgivable levels. But BIS was very straightforward and the way combat worked, you could potentially know your enemy so well that you never had to take any damage--if you were good at timing. It was probably the most interesting approach to RPG combat I've ever seen.
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 delectabledoz
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
i really want to try this. got paper mario for the wii.. i like it except the flipping from words can get confusing.. is it like that is browsers inside story too? i love rpgs too
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I absolutely lvoed Bowser's Inside Story and it was easily one of my favorite Mario and Luigi RPG games :D. As for Dream Team, I got to play it recently, and it was pretty good, but definitely not as good as Bowser's Inside story in my opinion. 

delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 delectabledoz
sounds pretty good then.. defo wanna try it.. is it like paper mario with the 2d and 3d aspect? that annoyed me
brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brentendo3

sounds pretty good then.. defo wanna try it.. is it like paper mario with the 2d and 3d aspect? that annoyed medelectabledoz

No, Super Paper Mario is the only Mario RPG game that does the 2D/3D flipping thing. The M&L games are essentially all the same gameplay wise.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I'm about done with SMTIV, so I'll probably pick this up tomorrow. :D I'm pretty excited.
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 delectabledoz
ok thanks cos the flipping annoys me.. any others feel the same? great, should enjoy this game more then
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

The game was a lot of fun but I never ended up liking the idea of having Mario inside Bowser's body. That's just weird. I'm looking forward to Dream Team 'cause I hear it's a lot like BiS, but with a story gimmick I like.

delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 delectabledoz
cool wanna try bowser then if i like it might try dream team.. is it rpg with levelling up, moves etc?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

cool wanna try bowser then if i like it might try dream team.. is it rpg with levelling up, moves etc? delectabledoz

Like any JRPG there's leveling up and the Bros moves are essentially mini games... Better you do at it the more damage you do.  If you enjoy creative RPGs then you'll enjoy it.

delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 delectabledoz
sounds cool.. defo wanna give it a go.. seems to be a pretty good game by what you guys say

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room. It is a great game while it lasts though. A lot better than PiT.

Superstar Saga and PiT both easily destroy the game in length without feeling like a grind. There is no excuse.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]25 hours is short as hell. Even compared to other Mario RPGs, it's short as hell. Other RPGs like Persona and older Final Fantasy games laugh it out of the locker room. It is a great game while it lasts though. A lot better than PiT.

Superstar Saga and PiT both easily destroy the game in length without feeling like a grind. There is no excuse.

Are you talking about Bowser's Inside story or the new Dream Team game? BiS felt even longer than the first 2....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] 25 hours is fine. Don't have time to spend 30+ hours on games, especially when they have grinding. Mario and Luigi games have NO grinding(unless you suck) and the game goes smoothly from start to finish. Not saying they are the best RPGs(They's Aren't) but that's one reason they're good. Short and simple.

Are you talking about Bowser's Inside story or the new Dream Team game? BiS felt even longer than the first 2....

BiS. No way it was longer than the first two. I've been meaning to pick up DT.