L Button broken. Wahhhh no metroid

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
My L Button clicks but it doesn't work. Do you think if I send it to Nintendo they will fix it. It hasn't been a year yet. And how long will it take for them to fix it and send it back if they take it in.????
#2 Posted by tgh93_29 (1483 posts) -
no telling how long ittl take they will only fix it for free if u r under warranty if not i believe its 70 dollars but i could b wrong
#3 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
how longs the warranty?
#4 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
I've had it since august 2007.
#5 Posted by SonOfTheSky05 (172 posts) -
It's happened to mine. The contacts inside could just be dirty. There are some Youtube videos of people cleaning it out with water and a Q-tip. I just had that problem but 15 minutes ago and found a really quick and easy fix that worked for me. Take your lips and form a perfect seal around the L button and then blow a few times. It blows the dust out from inside where you can't normally reach (damn tri-wing screws). It's kind of like the theory behind blowing in old school NES games. I swear this is no joke, it worked for me surprisingly (least technically involved troubleshooting I've ever had to do...I was SO surprised). I hope this helps!
#6 Posted by Vid_Kid_430 (110 posts) -

I've had mine since launch day, but it's starting to squeak a lot. I might need to upgrade to a lite and retire my classic. *SADNESS*

#7 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
Thank You Son of the sky. That mouth trick worked. Thank you thank you thank you:D;)
#8 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
Thank you. Now I can get Call of Duty 4.:D
#9 Posted by SonOfTheSky05 (172 posts) -
You're very welcome! I'm glad it worked for you too :)
#10 Posted by KazOblivion (120 posts) -
THANK YOU SON OF THE SKY!!!! YOU SAVED ME A WEEK OR 2 OF WAITING FOR REPAIRS!!!
#11 Posted by StarFoxEXR (689 posts) -
cool
#12 Posted by KazOblivion (120 posts) -

I'm still very suprised by this. I've been blowing cartriges for years to get them to work, but I never thought that concept would work on buttons. If only I knew this a year ago I could have saved my blue DS........

#13 Posted by LawLessChaos (336 posts) -
Thank you so much!!!!!! I know i'm late but thanks sky son.
#14 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -
Does this work also with the ds lite?
#15 Posted by Chillinhawk (131 posts) -
that's what i did the blowing with, the ds lite.
#16 Posted by walter7mm (77 posts) -

THANK YOU, it really worked instantly while the ds was turned on.

I thought I would have to be L-button-less since I always loose my receipts within a week or so.

#17 Posted by Darkjak95 (96 posts) -
:DLOL that happend 2 me also. it gradually got better.i cuoldnt play metroid either.................
#18 Posted by poetsoul (321 posts) -

Thank you, Sonofthesky! I've bought two DS lites because of that L-trigger problem... I was considering dropping the 70 on a new DS until I read your message.

You are a prince among men.

#19 Posted by Cloud154 (25 posts) -

HOLY CRAP, SONOFTHESKY YOU ARE A FREAKIN GENIUS!

I never would have thought of that in my entire lifetime! I think I speak for everyone that read your instructions when I say Thank you very much!

#20 Posted by ThePlothole (11515 posts) -

It's happened to mine. The contacts inside could just be dirty. There are some Youtube videos of people cleaning it out with water and a Q-tip. I just had that problem but 15 minutes ago and found a really quick and easy fix that worked for me. Take your lips and form a perfect seal around the L button and then blow a few times. It blows the dust out from inside where you can't normally reach (damn tri-wing screws). It's kind of like the theory behind blowing in old school NES games. I swear this is no joke, it worked for me surprisingly (least technically involved troubleshooting I've ever had to do...I was SO surprised). I hope this helps!SonOfTheSky05

The only problem with blowing is that you're throwing out little bits of saliva when you do... that could actually cause the contacts on a cart to corrode overtime. (though I suppose it won't harm your DS)

#21 Posted by NeverSage (25 posts) -
I just have to chime in with my thanks as well! I was here thinking I'd have to buy a whole new DS. THANKS SON OF THE SKY!!!!
#22 Posted by pro_acer (135 posts) -

Aww man. My very first DS had that L-trigger problem a long time ago. If only I had heard about this solution much, much earlier, I wouldn't have had to spend money on a new one. Oh well.