Is The New DSi XL Worth The Money

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BijouWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BijouWarrior
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Ok so i want to buy a new system like the psp go but its a little to pricey should i get an Dsi or Dsi Xl but i dont want an system thats to big When you got your dsi xl did i feel to big in your hands
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I'm sure you could get used to it, but a DSi XL is pretty much meant to sit on a table while you play.

Considering Nintendo has been throwing out new DS models every 3-5 months and you're short on money, a used DS Lite or DSi would work.

I don't think the DSi XL has been released yet, so those would be pricey, even used.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Looks just about as big as a PSP. If you're fine with a PSP then I'd say a DSi XL will be fine with you too. Also I bet you're gonna get quite a lot of yes's. Don't own one though but I'd recommend the XL.
coolkid227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 coolkid227
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have one question is this your first ds?? If you answer yes then I recommend the DSI. If this is like your second DS then DSI XL is good. Though DSi XL is a smudge attracter. In my opinion i think you should get a DSI, The DSi XL felt like i was holding a wii in my hand. SO it is big.
yani37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yani37
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

I'm sure you could get used to it, but a DSi XL is pretty much meant to sit on a table while you play.

Considering Nintendo has been throwing out new DS models every 3-5 months and you're short on money, a used DS Lite or DSi would work.

I don't think the DSi XL has been released yet, so those would be pricey, even used.

Yoweeh

The DSi was released yesterday. I pick up mine yesterday at GameStop. Is the best handheld I ever had. Bigger screens is a plus, clear crispy; feel sturdytoo, not so heavy. Portability??? I remember my original GameBoy I use to take with me everywere, so for me that is not a problem. Many people bash the DSi XL without even try it.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
Looks just about as big as a PSP. If you're fine with a PSP then I'd say a DSi XL will be fine with you too. Also I bet you're gonna get quite a lot of yes's. Don't own one though but I'd recommend the XL.Kenny789
From what i have hear it is actually bigger than a PSP and have a lot more weight.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="yani37"]

[QUOTE="Yoweeh"]

The DSi was released yesterday. I pick up mine yesterday at GameStop. Is the best handheld I ever had. Bigger screens is a plus, clear crispy; feel sturdytoo, not so heavy. Portability??? I remember my original GameBoy I use to take with me everywere, so for me that is not a problem. Many people bash the DSi XL without even try it.

It sitll weight more than the first DS Model.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
the XL is pretty sexy. I would get it if I didn't have a lite.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soulreaper-4

the XL is pretty sexy. I would get it if I didn't have a lite.SoAmazingBaby

This is true.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

I think it's worth the money. If you're buying a completely new DS, then yeah, go for the DSi XL (It's incredibly easy to carry around imo, dunno what the big hubbub is about), however if you're upgrading then I'd say no, either wait for the 3DS or go with a DSi. just my 0.02 of course.

panja12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 panja12
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

see for yourself, the main concern is the increase in price and the increased screen size without an increased resolution (this translates to a more pixelated image) the increased size and mass might also be of concern to some users, try one for yourself, compare it with the DSi, see if it's for you

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulreaper-4

see for yourself, the main concern is the increase in price and the increased screen size without an increased resolution (this translates to a more pixelated image) the increased size and mass might also be of concern to some users, try one for yourself, compare it with the DSi, see if it's for you

panja12
The screens aren't 19 plus inches, the games still look great.
panja12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 panja12
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

[QUOTE="panja12"]

soulreaper-4

The screens aren't 19 plus inches, the games still look great.

I have not personally seen it, I am only echoing the comments of other users who have used it, which is why I SPECIFICALLY said YOU YOURSELF need to see it for YOURSELF

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

get a dsi,its the same thing just smaller,im not gonna waste my money on something i already have,so just get the dsi,its cheaper,or if you want a big screen psp 3000,movies,music,better games,better graphics,your choice dsi,or psp 3000 is wat i reccommend

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soulreaper-4

get a dsi,its the same thing just smaller,im not gonna waste my money on something i already have,so just get the dsi,its cheaper,or if you want a big screen psp 3000,movies,music,better games,better graphics,your choice dsi,or psp 3000 is wat i reccommend

GAMERKID707

That's what i really don't understand. Why the DSi cost $169.99 without a game or SD Card wile for the same$169.99 you can get a PSP 3000 that have a better better and bigger screen, better graphics, better sound quality, better build up and you can buy a Memory Stick for saves and downloadable content including PSN games. Nintendo portables are way over priced, and this comes from me a long time Nintendo Fan thats been thinking of getting a DSi for some time now.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

That's what i really don't understand. Why the DSi cost $169.99 without a game or SD Card wile for the same$169.99 you can get a PSP 3000 that have a better better and bigger screen, better graphics, better sound quality, better build up and you can buy a Memory Stick for saves and downloadable content including PSN games. Nintendo portables are way over priced, and this comes from me a long time Nintendo Fan thats been thinking of getting a DSi for some time now.

soulreaper-4

The PSP actually has a smaller display if you count both DSi screens. It also has no memory card, and no internal memory (the DSi has 256mb I think). DS games store the save on the game card, where you basically have to buy a Pro Duo memory card before you can even play games with the PSP. The PSP's speakers are much worse than the DSi's speakers, making headphone practically a necessity.

The PSP does have the advantage of good sound quality with headphones (because of the larger capacity UMDs), but I prefer not having to wear headphones to begin with (the exception being music games). The PSP is capable of better graphics, but this really isn't an operating factor in the games I like to play, and overall I think the DS has a much larger library of quality games. There are some great games on PSP but it's missing some quality core franchises like you'll find of the DS.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
[QUOTE="Kenny789"]Looks just about as big as a PSP. If you're fine with a PSP then I'd say a DSi XL will be fine with you too. Also I bet you're gonna get quite a lot of yes's. Don't own one though but I'd recommend the XL.soulreaper-4
From what i have hear it is actually bigger than a PSP and have a lot more weight.

Is that so? Sorry, didn't know :)
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

Yep, the one fellow had it right: On Dsi XL, the two huge screens give much more screen space than PSP. The sound without headphones is tons better. The controls are easier and, because of the clamshell design, the screens don't scratch nearly as much as the psp. Plus I like a lot of the Nintendo created titles like Mario, Donkey Kong and Professor Layton.

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

Bigger screen better product more cameras etc well up from the ds lite which is what i am currently sporting and looking at my current ds lite @ 129.99 retail price compared to the current dsi XL i am drooling.... the only downside i would say would be backward compatability with GBA games but if that is not a concern it is def worth the money lmao.

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GAMERKID707

yea but psp has better games to play,theres no point of making a huge dsi with big screens,but theres no good games to play,little big planet is better then all the ds games,and i really dont like little big planet

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulreaper-4

Yep, the one fellow had it right: On Dsi XL, the two huge screens give much more screen space than PSP. The sound without headphones is tons better. The controls are easier and, because of the clamshell design, the screens don't scratch nearly as much as the psp. Plus I like a lot of the Nintendo created titles like Mario, Donkey Kong and Professor Layton.

RichardWrite
I don't now if the DSi sound speakears a better than the DS Lite's cause i have seen PSPs and they sound a lot louder and better than the DS Lite.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

yea but psp has better games to play,theres no point of making a huge dsi with big screens,but theres no good games to play,little big planet is better then all the ds games,and i really dont like little big planet

GAMERKID707
lol
Azwraith_PL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Azwraith_PL
Member since 2010 • 121 Posts

I shelled out the money and have yet to feel even a slight twinge of buyers remorse, i am 100% happy with my purchase and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an amazinghandheld experience.

Also, no the DSi XL did not feel too big, i find it to be much more comfortable then any of the other DS models, having said that it isn't the most ergonomic design in comparison to an xbox 360 controller, but it is fine and considering how many hours i've sunken into it my hands should be cramping like mad...but nope i'm still rearing to go

Yes it is worth the money

Azwraith_PL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Azwraith_PL
Member since 2010 • 121 Posts

GAMERKID707

Huh, think you may actually be the only person i've ever seen compare the DS and PSP libraries and claim that PSP comes out on top.

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GAMERKID707

hey i chose the dsi over the psp,so thats why im here,im just saying,i would rather wait for a better ds to come out,i already have dsi,so ill wait for a different system not the same one thats bigger,btw im a shooter fan,thats why i say no gopod games,but i do like metriod prime hunters,thats a good 1,so is the call of duty games,kingdom hearts on it,phantasy star zero,and thats bout it,spectrobes were fun,got boring,pokemoin was fun to years ago,boring now

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

hey i chose the dsi over the psp,so thats why im here,im just saying,i would rather wait for a better ds to come out,i already have dsi,so ill wait for a different system not the same one thats bigger,btw im a shooter fan,thats why i say no gopod games,but i do like metriod prime hunters,thats a good 1,so is the call of duty games,kingdom hearts on it,phantasy star zero,and thats bout it,spectrobes were fun,got boring,pokemoin was fun to years ago,boring now

GAMERKID707

Remember this?-"little big planet is better then all the ds games,and i really dont like little big planet"

and just because you're this big shooter fan doesn't mean every other non-shooter game on the DS is crap

Matt-Porter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Matt-Porter
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

The hand cramping issue resolved definitely sounds like a positive feature of the DSi, I hadn't considered that. I've been too busy making games lately to play them (unfortunately), so I guess I forgot what it's like to have my hand cramped to all hell; I'll remember it when Goldensun DS comes out hehe.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="GAMERKID707"]

lol

The thing about Little Big Planet being better then all ds games is just ridiculous. But the PSP really have a lot of good games that people with only DS would like to be able to play. I only have a DS Lite and sometimes i really wish the PSP where a Nintendo Handheld.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="GAMERKID707"]

Foxh0und666

Take your fanboy crap somewhere else.

Whathe said about Little Big Planet sure is crap but here everyone can make opinions, this is why this is a forum. You should create a new user name in gamespot and change from FoxhOund666 to MRGeneral, siriously you thing you have the authority here.

Kinggoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kinggoken
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts

Just got one. This is the first time I felt I wasted my money on a portable gaming system. I already had a DS Lite and then got the DSi. I should have just stuck with my DSi because its basically the same thing as the DSi XL. Sure the screen is bigger but in my opinion it really didn't enhance my gameplay. Playing stylus only DS games I thought would be easier for me (due to the bigger screens) but it still just doesn't feel right. I guess I don't like sylus only DS games. :(

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Im getting one next week. Cant wait to play games on a bigger screen, just got Soul Silver in anticipation. Its worth it for me because:

(1) I gave my little sister my DS Lite when her PHAT broke, so I dont have a DS anymore.

(2) I LOVE bigger screens.

(3) I got hand cramps when I held my little Lite.

(4) Ive heard its got much better sound which I will also enjoy.

(5) I don't actually take my portables out much. So the lack of portability in favor of making it closer to a console experience is great for me.

Jordanserg31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jordanserg31
Member since 2009 • 323 Posts

Seroiusly I thinks it is a waste of Money. DSi has basically the same features but XL has more storage and a few games built in.

XL screen size has been expanded to 93% from the DS Lite

DSi screen size has been expanded to 23% from the DS Lite

If You ask me I will stick with my DSi cause, The DSi screen is WAY to Big and there was no need to be built in the first place. They should of put the GameboyAdvance Slot with the XL like with the Old DS.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonic0491

Seroiusly I thinks it is a waste of Money. DSi has basically the same features but XL has more storage and a few games built in.

XL screen size has been expanded to 93% from the DS Lite

DSi screen size has been expanded to 23% from the DS Lite

If You ask me I will stick with my DSi cause, The DSi screen is WAY to Big and there was no need to be built in the first place. They should of put the GameboyAdvance Slot with the XL like with the Old DS.

Jordanserg31

the regular dsi screens are WAY too big? Lol

Jordanserg31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jordanserg31
Member since 2009 • 323 Posts

Sorry the DS XL screen are way too BIG!

The_Nintendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 The_Nintendawg
Member since 2005 • 1993 Posts

how about if i still have the original phat ds, should i upgrade to dsi XL or wait for the new one next year.

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

Sorry the DS XL screen are way too BIG!

Jordanserg31
You'll be glad to know you're not alone. Three other people in the world agree with you. Everyone else loves it.
Kinggoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kinggoken
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts

how about if i still have the original phat ds, should i upgrade to dsi XL or wait for the new one next year.

The_Nintendawg
I would upgrade. Has there been any info on the new 3DS being able to play the old DS games? Or I could be wrong about the whole thing...perhaps I should do some research..
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sonic0491
[QUOTE="The_Nintendawg"]

Kinggoken
I would upgrade. Has there been any info on the new 3DS being able to play the old DS games? Or I could be wrong about the whole thing...perhaps I should do some research..

Ive heard the screens are going to be smaller than the XL which is why I am getting an XL. If not I can just sell it off or do a trade in deal (they most likely will have one) :)
zeigzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zeigzero
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts

i have the triforce edition ds lite, and got an xl on release day. the screens and speakers are amazing. i've actually acclimated so much to it's size that now the lite feels a bit small and cramping. definitely worth it in my opinion.