Is the DS a good system for a busy student?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 j3v1zzle
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

Well, first off, I'm a very busy student. Right now, school alone takes up almost 11 hours of my day and add at least another hour or two to that for studying when I get home. I figure I need some sort of entertainment to keep me sane through my studies so would the DS be the right system for me? I normally game on my 360 and PC but I understand that I really have no time for that. I'm just looking for a system that I can pick up and play for maybe a half an hour to an hour without getting addicted but also keeping me both relaxed and fun.

Also what games do you recommend me picking up for a person in my situation with the "pick up and play" mentality? I'm looking right now to only two and maybe three titles. I think Pokemon Diamond is a definite purchase for me though.

vaders_fist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 vaders_fist
Member since 2005 • 1714 Posts
Yeah you should go for a ds. If you want something with pick up and play value, go for mario kart and metroid prime. A few rounds of those should keep you satisfied, and not begging for more. I dont have very many games, so i dont know what to suggest. All i can say is steer clear of games like animal crossing or age of empires. Both are really addicting, and throw your perspective of time out the window.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
best games for pick up and play hands down.... Wario Ware Touch, Mario Kart DS, Meteos. You can easily play those from 5mins to hours. You can't go wrong. Good luck in your studies as well.
MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 6

#4 MorkkiTH
Member since 2005 • 828 Posts
DS is good system for you, and good games could be "new super mario bros" and "Advanced Wars: Dual strike"
selkie65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 selkie65
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
I pretty busy too, spending 9hrs at school most days not counting 30 travelling time to and from as well as homework. The ds and wii are great for pick up and play for a few minutes, but there are also some great games which you can sit down and play for hours on end without getting bored
boltcrankHN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 boltcrankHN
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
You just keep away from the adventure, rpg, strategy genres; everything else suits you. IMO
especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts

stay away from rpgs, but you probably already knew that.

actually, pokemon is ok for 1 hour sessions at a time.

NSMB, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime (multiplayer with bots) are good games for quick playing.

only problem is that you said that you wanted to avoid addiction, and some may get you hooked even if its just like mario and you run and jump.

Superlegtesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Superlegtesta
Member since 2003 • 389 Posts

I think you could play Castlevania without being addicted, or New Super Mario Bros, since it's all about progressing a little bit at a time.

But, to relax and take a break from your studies, have you considered doing some sport? It might be better than the DS.

DevilHacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DevilHacker
Member since 2004 • 140 Posts

Advance Wars Dual Strike would work for ya if you can find it.

You can play that game for 5min to 5hrs. having a good time with or without long sessions.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
I'm just looking for a system that I can pick up and play for maybe a half an hour to an hour without getting addicted but also keeping me both relaxed and fun.

Also what games do you recommend me picking up for a person in my situation with the "pick up and play" mentality? I'm looking right now to only two and maybe three titles. I think Pokemon Diamond is a definite purchase for me though.

j3v1zzle

I cant recommend the DS because I am addicted to it. Especially Pokemon Pearl. As for games that you can play in quick bursts, how bout Tetris, Meteos, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Kart.

thorboy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thorboy03
Member since 2004 • 2037 Posts

I think the DS is a good option for someone in your position, TC. As far as games that you can play for 30 min to an hour at a time, most DS games would fit that time frame. As a portable device, many developers try to make games that you can play for short times. They add plenty of save points, add mini-game modes, etc. so that no mattter how much time you have to play, you are satisfied.

Also, if you're ever bored during one of your study halls.... :P

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
TBH it's the only system of choice for someone in your situation.
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts
Stay away from Puzzle Quest. I take it up, and suddenly 2 hours are gone!

Try Clubhouse Games. Short, easy. Also Brain Academy (useful because it makes your brain work a little harder).

Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
I'm an animation student that works fulltime and goes to school fulltime. The DS is perfect for when you have some downtime to rest. I've had mine since October and I love it.
1upMushroomX6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 1upMushroomX6
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
well all i gots to say its a good way to blow of some steam before or after a huge test
609-Blazin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 609-Blazin
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

But, to relax and take a break from your studies, have you considered doing some sport? It might be better than the DS.

Superlegtesta

I've recently picked up archery, GREAT sport for just going out for an hour here and there to the range, shoot some arrows, then come back home. Even better if you live in the country, but most of us dont. Look online for a place to shoot before you buy, I found a free range to shoot at then bought a used compound bow and arrows for a hundred bucks. Cheaper than a DS without a game!

keen_desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 keen_desire
Member since 2006 • 317 Posts
I, too am a very busy student and I find the DS a very cheap and easy way to pick up a game and enjoy it. I wish I had more time to play with my 360 but it's not possible, the main reason why I bought my DS Lite. You will make a good decision buying one.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
I find it makes bus journeys back and forth between uni a joy. In fact now I think about it some of my best gaming moments be it shock at a plot twist or joy and completing a tough challenge have nearly all been on the bus! Heck I played PWJFA almost in it's entireity over a week across bus journeys (lightning fast, save anytime features are awesome).
phubbadaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 phubbadaman
Member since 2004 • 141 Posts

I'm also a student and have found that I play my DS when I'm not studying over the Wii and Xbox. Mario 3v3 basketball doesn't get much credit, but it is pretty fun to play, especially if you can get some multi player action going on.

As far as sports go, get a basketball for 30 dollars and go shoot some hoops!!

Roxas_Teme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Roxas_Teme
Ds is good for everyone. So everyone get ds!8)
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 j3v1zzle

Thanks for the responses!

I noticed earlier in the thread of people saying not to get RPG's or else I might get addicted. Would Pokemon fit under this category? From what I've heard, it's one of the best DS games and I always did enjoy the Pokemon games wayyy before when I had a Game Boy Color. So far I have my eye on...

Mario Kart DS

Pokemon Diamond

Final Fantasy III

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Like I pointed out earlier, I'm only looking for two and maybe three games for now so which of those would you recommend?

Also how is the replayability or fun factor for Brain Academy? It seems like an interesting game but I don't want my brain to work too hard when I'm trying to take a break from my studies! :D

Lance_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Lance_C
Member since 2004 • 34544 Posts
The DS is probably the perfect system for you, but be very picky about the games though. It's actually all about the games, but with the variety on games on the DS it shouldn't be a problem. Genres you will likely choose: puzzle games and genres which you should, by al chance avoid: RPGs and adventure games. I'd say go with WarioWare Touched, Meteos, Tetris etc. Don't try Puzzle Quest, even though it's a puzzle game, it's also an RPG and you could get addicted to it.
therealapowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 therealapowers
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

i would also reccomend the ds- if pick-up and play is important to you, keep in mind that when you close the ds, it goes into power-save mode, a perfect way to pause your game. don't just stick to games where you can save only after you finish a level or something like that, you can just close the ds when you need to stop.

pokemon is probably the only rpg that wont get you way addicted... it's not like you want to keep playing to find out what happens next in the story!

*ohmygawd team rocket is up to no good and now they want to release a legendarypokemon?!? i didn't see THAT coming!*

yellowrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yellowrb
Member since 2006 • 438 Posts

You should be okay with Pokemon, it's not really what I would call an addictive game. It's a lot of fun, but after an hour or so I don't really have problems putting it down for a while when I know I should. There's just so much stuff to do in the game, it makes you want to take your time with it, which is good.

Careful, Advance Wars can leave you bleary-eyed in the morning. And as others have mentioned, Puzzle Quest ispure crack.With either one of those, ifyou play your DS while you're lying in bed (as I often do), occasionally you might forget to ever go to sleep (as I have often done).

Metroid Prime Pinball is far and away my favorite pick-up-and-play game. I also use Clubhouse Gamesfor sneaking in bits of relaxing game time during the morning/evening commute.

j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 j3v1zzle

Would you guys recommend the white one or the black one? I'm kind of torn on this decision... also keep the game recommendations coming! :D

I was thinking of getting NSMB but hear it is very easy and short which leads me to believe that the replay value is suspect.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#26 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3674 Posts

Mario Kart DS

Pokemon Diamond

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts

Would you guys recommend the white one or the black one? I'm kind of torn on this decision... also keep the game recommendations coming! :D

I was thinking of getting NSMB but hear it is very easy and short which leads me to believe that the replay value is suspect.

j3v1zzle

get the bleack, it makes u a lot cooler student, hehehe

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 inzaneetie013
[QUOTE="j3v1zzle"]

inzaneetie013

get the bleack, it makes u a lot cooler student, hehehe

*black, ooopsy

NeverFroze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NeverFroze

j3v1zzle

Get the black one, I have a white one and I'm working hard to keep it squeaky clean all the time and avoid letting the side buttons turn yellow. :P

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Yes. There is a lot of games that you can play in small amounts of time. Phoenix Wright is the game that I'm currently playing andI spend 20-30 minutes playing it at a time.
AlCoCeR_AlVaRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AlCoCeR_AlVaRo
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
Wanna know what kind of entertainment can keep you sane through your studies, and it's also fun to play with for 30min to 45min, or more (depending on the day) without getting addicted and can also keep you relaxed??? Get a girl from one of your classes.

Well, first off, I'm a very busy student. Right now, school alone takes up almost 11 hours of my day and add at least another hour or two to that for studying when I get home. I figure I need some sort of entertainment to keep me sane through my studies so would the DS be the right system for me? I normally game on my 360 and PC but I understand that I really have no time for that. I'm just looking for a system that I can pick up and play for maybe a half an hour to an hour without getting addicted but also keeping me both relaxed and fun.

j3v1zzle
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 j3v1zzle
Wanna know what kind of entertainment can keep you sane through your studies, and it's also fun to play with for 30min to 45min, or more (depending on the day) without getting addicted and can also keep you relaxed??? Get a girl from one of your classes.[QUOTE="j3v1zzle"]

AlCoCeR_AlVaRo

Hahaha... I'll admit that made me chuckle a bit. In all seriousness though, I'm leaning towards Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Diamond, and Phoenix Wright or Brain Academy. Good choices??

lucifer3999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lucifer3999
Member since 2005 • 2319 Posts

college chicks + free time = fun between ur studies

or if ur a REAL pimp, playds lite while...nvm

get castlevania its fun and crap

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 inzaneetie013
[QUOTE="AlCoCeR_AlVaRo"]Wanna know what kind of entertainment can keep you sane through your studies, and it's also fun to play with for 30min to 45min, or more (depending on the day) without getting addicted and can also keep you relaxed??? Get a girl from one of your classes.[QUOTE="j3v1zzle"]

j3v1zzle

Hahaha... I'll admit that made me chuckle a bit. In all seriousness though, I'm leaning towards Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Diamond, and Phoenix Wright or Brain Academy. Good choices??

buy mkds, diamond, phoenix wright part 1, BRAIN AGE, academy no good

Gold_Leader87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gold_Leader87

college chicks + free time = fun between ur studies

or if ur a REAL pimp, playds lite while...nvm

get castlevania its fun and crap

lucifer3999

Why does a PIMP need a DS?

OT:

I actually do think the DS is the right choice for you just because it's portable and meant for both short and long play sessions.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

Thanks for the responses!

I noticed earlier in the thread of people saying not to get RPG's or else I might get addicted. Would Pokemon fit under this category? From what I've heard, it's one of the best DS games and I always did enjoy the Pokemon games wayyy before when I had a Game Boy Color. So far I have my eye on...

Mario Kart DS

Pokemon Diamond

Final Fantasy III

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Like I pointed out earlier, I'm only looking for two and maybe three games for now so which of those would you recommend?

Also how is the replayability or fun factor for Brain Academy? It seems like an interesting game but I don't want my brain to work too hard when I'm trying to take a break from my studies! :D

j3v1zzle
I'd recommend all of them. I cant pick three as I dont know what kind of games you prefer. Pokemon is an RPG but its more of a casual one that can be played in shorter periods of time.