Is nintendo not releasing n64 games on the VC that required an expansion pack?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#1 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

Think about it: Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64...some other stuff. Am I onto something here?

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Am I onto something here?

blankshore

No. This has been brought up countless times. You're extremely late to the party.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blankshore

[QUOTE="blankshore"]Am I onto something here?

AlexSays

No. This has been brought up countless times. You're extremely late to the party.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me princess. Just kidding I don't really care

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blankshore

[QUOTE="AlexSays"][QUOTE="blankshore"]Am I onto something here?

blankshore

well excuuuuuuuuuuse me princess. Just kidding I don't really care. Sorry I wasted everyone's time.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Now to keep this thread and it's potential, I think it's safe to say Nintendo will think of something to wiggle around the expansion pack. Not releasing Majora's Mask on the VC would break a lot of hearts.
hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts
Are you guys thinking that the Wii isnt capable of playing the games because of the expansion pack? They can easily trick the games into thinking there is one, and the Wii is 100% capable of it.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts
It'll happen eventually, I think we may need an update for it though.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
The expansion pack nothing more than a mere RAM boost. It's nothing that would require much work on their behalf I'm sure. Any N64 game would play with an Expansion back in it, which is why you never had to remove it. The N64 VC games don't need them. It's likely there's just much more older era generationst o put on instead.
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

I hope i'm not moded for this so please read my whole post.

Emulators have no problem running the normal N64 games as well as the expansion pack games.  Nothing had to be done like install an add-on or something to play expansion pack games.  So i think the wii could run expansion pack games no problem without any add-ons. 

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Are you guys thinking that the Wii isnt capable of playing the games because of the expansion pack? They can easily trick the games into thinking there is one, and the Wii is 100% capable of it.hooded1man

It's not because it's not capable. The GameCube can run it. It's the emulation that is hard. Majora's Mask on the Zelda Collector's Edition run decently it's just at some times the game is freezing. The sound is not really good as well. Most of the time, you need to not put the rumble feature for running the game.

If it wasn't the problem, I would recommand this compilation.

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
Perhaps Nintendo could make program it along with maybe a graphical update or adding an extra dungeon.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

Perhaps Nintendo could make program it along with maybe a graphical update or adding an extra dungeon.starmetroid

nooo dont touch MM!! ....... ok........ MAYBE an extra dungeon.......... MAYBE! (deranged look)

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Perhaps Nintendo could make program it along with maybe a graphical update or adding an extra dungeon.starmetroid
If they did that, it would belong on WiiWare.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Their isn't many games that require the expansion pack and I believe it is only a coincidence. None of them been released on VC. After all only two games require the expansion pack.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Their isn't many games that require the expansion pack and I believe it is only a coincidence. None of them been released on VC. After all only two games require the expansion pack.Devil-Itachi

Actually there are 11, but the other 9 are the 64DD series.

Unlike what a lot of people believe, emulating a ram cartridge is not as simple as telling the Wii to use 4Mb more ram to the emulator.  Nintendo designed it to store information as well as help with latency problems on others.  It is hard to create a separate, independent storage system on a processor, let alone force an emulator to work on that same processor.

Then you would have to emulate streaming between the two emulators, which is as confusing to do as it sounds to most people.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

[QUOTE="Devil-Itachi"]Their isn't many games that require the expansion pack and I believe it is only a coincidence. None of them been released on VC. After all only two games require the expansion pack.SirSpudly

Actually there are 11, but the other 9 are the 64DD series.

Unlike what a lot of people believe, emulating a ram cartridge is not as simple as telling the Wii to use 4Mb more ram to the emulator.  Nintendo designed it to store information as well as help with latency problems on others.  It is hard to create a separate, independent storage system on a processor, let alone force an emulator to work on that same processor.

Then you would have to emulate streaming between the two emulators, which is as confusing to do as it sounds to most people.

It really shouldn't be that hard for Nintendo. They emulated Majora's Mask on the Gamecube, though with some technical problems. I'm sure they could of fixed it with a patch if they had the option. This isn't exactly Sega Saturn hard. I'm not saying it's easy but i'm saying Nintendo can do it. Also about the other expansion pak games, I tend to ignore games not in my country. Especially that far back.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
If people living in their basements can get Majora's Mask to work on a computer, there is no reason why a multi million dollar company, who owns the rights to the games, cannot.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Collector's Edition contains complete emulated versions of The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask.[1] Because the games are emulated rather than adapted for the GameCube, there are some technical errors and glitches in Majora's Mask. Many have complained that Majora's Mask unexpectedly crashes or freezes occasionally because of emulation mistakes, though this can be reduced by disabling the rumble feature.[citation needed] The game can also suffer from lag in certain areas, most notably in Clock Town, and inconsistencies in the audio.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_Collector's_Edition

I have it, and Majora's Mask runs smoothly, as long as you disable rumble. Emulating this on the Virtual Console should not be that hard.

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
just give it time they will find a way to work around it, and maybe while they at work around the legal issue with goldeneye *prays*
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
All the expansion pack did was add some more memory. The Wii has more than enough to play those games. All we're doing is playing the waiting game with Nintendo.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#21 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts
Most games on the Nintendo 64 that required an Expansion Pak were developed by Rareware (Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong 64 for example) and only a couple were developed by Nintendo, so that's probably why there are never any N64 games to download on the VC that required an Expansion Pak because apart from Majora's Mask, there are only a couple of games by Nintendo and they are all rubbish and the others are all done by Rareware, and there are no Rareware N64 games at all on the VC.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#22 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

I have the Zelda: Collector's Edition disc and my Majora's Mask on it has never crashed or freezed, and I play it with the rumble feature turned on. But maybe that's only me.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts
The expansion pack was only a RAM add on for the N64. Games that needed extra RAM to run asked that u buy the expansion pak. The Wii has more than enough RAM to run those games. The reason MM for the GC ran badly was because the emulater that Nintendo made was developed in a short amount of time, and they probably did not program it well. As we already know though the Wii's n64 emulater works perfectly fine, and games that require the expansion pak should have no issues. Also Rayman2 DS which was originally on the N64 had Expansion pak support and when put on the DS the game ran perfectly if not better. though it looked butt ugly because it used the same exact n64 textures. So dont worry their wont be any issues. What we should be worrying about is whether or not Nintendo will make a deal with Microsoft and Rare to allow Rare games on the VC. I mean it should eventually happen. Didn't Rare develop Viva Pinata for the DS. That means they still have relations with Rare and also with Microsoft. There's still hope wooooooh!!!!!