If the Wii U is like current gen consoles is that good enough for you?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gary3dsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gary3dsfan
Member since 2010 • 220 Posts

In terms of graphics and processing power of course. I have heard the Wii U will be 50% more powerful then the ps3. But I have a feeling it will look like xbox360/ps3 style graphics and games. If this was the case would it be good enough for all of you Nintendo fans out there. I remember the same arguement when the Wii came out it has ps2/gc graphics and thats probably one of the reasons the wii has almost died so early then many expected. Do you guys want the Wii U to be more powerful then current gen consoles or on par with them.?

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

If Nintendo wants me to support Wii U while it would be current, it has to get and keep Third Party support, and I can't see that happening without atleast being comparable to other Nextg Gen systems. I mean Wii's Third Party support was lackluster because of the Online infrastructure, lack of power and the controller. I believe that the former and latter have been fixed enough to get Third Parties interested, but I just don't see Wii U getting the multiplats that made up most of this gen's great games without power enough to not be consider PS3/360 level. No, it'll have to give the Nexbox or PS4 a run for its money in the hardware department.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
For me its not enough, by that i mean im not going to give up my PS3 for something thats only 25%-50% more powerful. So for me to pick-up a WiiU it would have to look noticeably better (And come with a controller, not a tablet.) or have killer exclusives. But people who dont own a PS3/360 and only had a Wii might want to upgrade so its great for those people. :)
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

meh my wife will end up buying it but im against it im so tired of being slapped around by nintendo and expecting to come back for more

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yeah.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
I am more interested in how the controller will work and feel. Like the Wii it will be the buying/killing point for me. I liked the Wiimote/nunchuck combo so I have faith in Nintendo.
pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Graphics and processing power are usually the last things I look for in a console. As long as it has games I want to play I'll pick it up. I'm simple like that.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Depends on what the competition does. :)
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Depends on what the competition does. :)ZumaJones07
For better or worse: that's not Nintendo's way.
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
Yes it is good enought for me. If a systems games suck, it doesn't matter if it's a powerhouse or not. Although every system should have some form of Blast Processing.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

All that matters to me is seeing Nintendo franchises in HD. Being current gen or next gen, that doesnt matter.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I waiting to see what this console provides for me, but I'm interested in a lot. I don't care about graphical power a lot.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

As long as nintendo, and other developers can show me that I can have unique experiences on the console that I can't get anywhere else The visuals won't matter. Same reason I bought a wii.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It must have 1080p as standard and have Crysis-like graphics at the minimum.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Since I blindly accept anything Nintendo throws at me, I guess it will be good enough. But I always want more from Nintendo. They SHOULD give us more. The Wii U SHOULD be as powerful as the next upcoming machines... *sigh* But it probably won't.

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

I think people who are saying that the wiiU will be in the same spot as the wii when the other two companies relese their next sysyem aren't really thinking this through.

I think it's now obvious to all three companies that power does not equal profit. Nintendo went through it with the N64, losing out to the PS1. Same with the PS2 destroying nintendo and xbox. likewise for handhelds. Least powerful = more profit. If you want power go PC.

In the case of the Wii. It was severely underpowered, and if my memory serves me corect, it was based on 1998 tech.
PS3 was obviously the most powered, and it sold the least, and in comparison to its predecessor, (one of the greatest consoles of all time in my books) Its sales were shocking.

Now you're probably thinking "but wait! Quality doesn't corelate with hardware sales!" You're right here. But you have to remember, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo aren't you're friends, they aren't even people. They are billion dollar companies. They are bent on generating revenue. They have to go the way the money is. So they [Sony] are obviously going to try to mimic the success of previous best selling consoles [PS2] and relese a console which is not a tech powerhouse.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Yes and no. Yes in that I'll probably buy one because I'm a sucker for the core Nintendo franchises that they rehash every generation. No in that I won't be touching a damn third party title if they aren't going to look better than the 360 or PS3 - with the WiiU using analog nubs instead of proper analog sticks and simple clicky digital triggers, I have no interest in playing those games with inferior controls, touchscreen or no.
MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

HD will mostly serve to make things a bit more clear. Currently, on a widescreen TV it can be difficult to distinguish things, which is annoying. For actual graphics capability, I don't need much more than HD support though. l just want some good AAA titles, and good games that take advantage of the new control scheme, which, incidentally is about a million more times important than graphics.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
We have no idea what the system can do from a tech standpoint, so its a moot point to talk about that. However even if it was a thousand times stronger than the current consoles, all the tech in the world won't make it any good without great games. This is something we have seen time and time again, I think people would have learned to stop putting so much stock on specs.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Yep.

I got a Wii to play Zelda and Smash Bros, but I missed out on great multiplats since I don't own a PS3 or 360. With the Wii U, I can play future multiplats while waiting for Nintendo games. It's a win-win situation for me.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

What it needs is enough power for next gen multiplats. So no.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

dont care about graphics because thats for noobs. I play any game no matter how good or not the graphics are. Gameplay is something i can get used to. As long as that new controller idea works well with my handss I.ll enjoy every minute of it. Plus i get used to things fast so My answer to your question Is YES

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 D4W1L4H

Pixel-Perfect
It will. I'll put every penny to my name on it.
stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

^ kind of a difficult bet considering that the WiiU specs haven't been released yet and there's no information on the new Sony and Mircosoft home consoles (except for rumors, but if you believe Nextbox could render Avatar in real time then I have a bridge to sell you).

I won't hold my breath on 3rd party devs being big on WiiU. The mentality of Nintendo's fanbase is totally different then Mircosoft or Sony fans. Honestly you can even see it on these forums--very little buzz about anything not made by Nintendo which then leads to low sales for 3rd party devs who then decide to not even bother next time around. It's possible to make games that are comparable in quality to the other versions (see: Black Ops) so the argument is not totally based on hardware alone.However if the market isn't there devs will leave.

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 D4W1L4H

^ kind of a difficult bet considering that the WiiU specs haven't been released yet and there's no information on the new Sony and Mircosoft home consoles (except for rumors, but if you believe Nextbox could render Avatar in real time then I have a bridge to sell you).

I won't hold my breath on 3rd party devs being big on WiiU. The mentality of Nintendo's fanbase is totally different then Mircosoft or Sony fans. Honestly you can even see it on these forums--very little buzz about anything not made by Nintendo which then leads to low sales for 3rd party devs who then decide to not even bother next time around. It's possible to make games that are comparable in quality to the other versions (see: Black Ops) so the argument is not totally based on hardware alone.However if the market isn't there devs will leave.

stizz-
Microsoft and Sony, aswell as Nintendo, are bent on revenue. This means that Sony would most likely return to its successful roots and not aim to be the highest powered console just like the PS2. Sony knows that they didn't reach their wanted success and provide a true successor to the worlds best selling console. I can't really say much for MS as they're still pretty new. By the looks of it, the biggest gap we'll see with the Wii U and other next gen consoles is the gap between the PS2 and Gamecube/360.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
if they charge only 250 for it then sure. i dont mean to bring SW here but personally i dont care about the wiius third party multiplat support. its highly unlikely i will get any multiplats for the wiiu. all the 3rd party games i have on the wii are exclusive (except world of goo). funnily enough if the wiius 3rd party support amounts to multiplats then i could very well have more wii games than wiiu games by the time the wiiu is done. given what ninty have managed to pull off with the wii im sure they can squeez amazing results from something as powerful as a current HD console. so as long as its not too conservative in the hardware (like a slightly upgraded wii...which its not) and the price is right i will be happy. however putting my own gaming habits aside...not getting multiplats from this gens consoles and the next would be a bit of a disaster for the wiiu. it is very important that the wiiu is both powerful enough and allows for easy cross platform development so that devs can easily support it when the PS4 and co also come in.
Cheddahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Cheddahz
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Nope.

Because I know there will still be a hundred crappy third party games, and that one excellent Nintendo title, and I don't have two years to wait for a excellent one.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="stizz-"]

D4W1L4H

Microsoft and Sony, aswell as Nintendo, are bent on revenue. This means that Sony would most likely return to its successful roots and not aim to be the highest powered console just like the PS2. Sony knows that they didn't reach their wanted success and provide a true successor to the worlds best selling console. I can't really say much for MS as they're still pretty new. By the looks of it, the biggest gap we'll see with the Wii U and other next gen consoles is the gap between the PS2 and Gamecube/360.

you might be dead on with that thinking, however if 3rd party devs don't support the Wii more because the audience for these systems are a lot different then people that go for M$ or sony. The two posts above this are actually a pretty good example.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I purchase Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo software so I will purchase whatever they put out because in the end I know I will be satisfied. I am not concerned about how powerful the machine is or how mind blowing the graphics are and I certainly am not concerned about how many "mature" third party games we can get on the thing.

Nintendo should keep doing what it does best and stop listening to all of the chatter out there which is currently in the process of sinking the ship.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#30 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It's not about power. It's about suport. Yes, I love nintendo's games, but I want more than just that.

If it's underpowered compared o the other consoles onthe market, or the online system doesn't match up, it won't ge the same support, and that will really bug me.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Is it good enough to make me happy, is it good enough that people should except it, not at all. The current gen consoles have held gaming back enough with what PC are now capable of doing, we don't need new consoles that are barely an improvement on what we have now. Will I buy it regardless is the question

I'll likely buy the console no matter what because I'm sure there will be games on it I want to play and as someone who likes to talk about and review games I feel that I should own everything. It will likely end up like the Wii with it being my least favorite and least used console, even if it were to end up having some of my favorite games I would probably still just be annoyed that the console even exists because it could have just gone on another better made console with more options.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Well anyone who says they want it to be on par is kinda crazy. The right choice is to hope it's better. At least in some way because down the road, when the other systems come out, they are probably gonna be way better than what the 360 and PS3 offer now. On par is nice and all, but only for a few years. I'd hope to see it be a lot better. But we'll see.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I don't like the look of the new controller anyway so if there isn't a lot of power hidden away in that little package I can't see it being worth my money this time around, what with terrible third party support and Nintendo keeping their first party prices ridiculously high over here I think Ill skip the next gen.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

sony is going to make a more powerful console because thats their strength as an electronics giant. MS will make a similarly powerful console to keep its common ground for pc developers. if nintendo doesnt get its hardware in that range, then its not going to get 3rd party support and it wont be my main platform.

would i still buy it even if it were underpowered? yeah, i have a hard time imagining a whole generation without nintendo games. it would just be a while after some other console. if i keep delaying the purchase of nintendo consoles, then generations without nintendo games arent going to be such a stretch...

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Whilst I still fully intend to snap up a Wii U on launch day, I'm still concerned that Nintendo are playing catch up and really need to get with the times. Having said that, the same thing could be said about the Wii, but I've had plenty of fun with that.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

For 1st party exclusives even just a HD upgrade would do because those are almost wholly dependant on the art-style. With hardware that's even better than PS3 and 360 they will look gorgeous (if they don't spoil them with excessive blur and bloom but I think they won't).

If those RV770 and memory speculations are true, the console will easily handle PS3 and 360 ports as well as current PC ports. A game the graphics quality of Crysis is very realistic for such hardware.

Of course problems with multiplats could occur when or if the PS4 and 720 get released but there are several things that could work in Wii-U's favour and those are:

- Time. It's possible we won't see the next Sony and MS machines untill 2014 or even later and that would surely benefit the Wii-U.

- Hardware specs. It's possible the PS4 and 720 won't be much more powerful this time. They could rather opt for "gimmicks" like Kinect 2 or Move 2 instead of hardware power.

- Unique controller. Now I'm pretty sure Sony and MS will copy the Wii-U controller at one point or the other but it could be it's saving grace in multiplats (if they'll actually make good use of it that is).

One things is for sure though - the Wii-U won't be nearly as Wiik (pun:P ) as Wii was.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

It is the 3rd party developers that need the Wii U to be up to snuff. Otherwise when PS4 and the third Xbox console are released, in 2013-2014. Then Nintendo will lose support from developers as they will be a generation behind. Plus Nintendo has to have great on-line capablities this time.

The N64, Gamecube and Wii have not had the best in terms of third party support. The Wii U has to change this trend. Nintendo cannot support it's consoles single handedly.

I will buy the Wii U. So yes it is good enough for me. But Nintendo also has to impress the 3rd parties. Otherwise after a strong start... then drought of games happens with the Wii U just as it has for the 3 consoles before it.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Pixel-Perfect

Exactly, couldn't agree with this more.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
it will be good enough for me if the WiiU gets nintendo dev games. I am under no misconception that the Wii U is going to be as powerful as a PS4...but as long as it has good games, i will buy it. I dont know how any real gamer is satified with any 1 console/PC. And i love the controller. Just the fact that i can keep playing zelda while my wife kicks me off the tv for her dumb show is why i'm buying it day 1.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

it will be good enough for me if the WiiU gets nintendo dev games. I am under no misconception that the Wii U is going to be as powerful as a PS4...but as long as it has good games, i will buy it. I dont know how any real gamer is satified with any 1 console/PC. And i love the controller. Just the fact that i can keep playing zelda while my wife kicks me off the tv for her dumb show is why i'm buying it day 1.da_chub

I cant agree with this more. Never again shall I leave my games neglected so Bridezillas can be watched :(

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

It's not about power. It's about suport. Yes, I love nintendo's games, but I want more than just that.

If it's underpowered compared o the other consoles onthe market, or the online system doesn't match up, it won't ge the same support, and that will really bug me.

BuryMe

i agree, the DS is almost a generation behind the psp but it had an awesome third party support

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If it have games i want and price is right sure it is good enough.

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Hopefully the Wii U will be more powerful than the current gen, so that will at least entice developers to stick with Nintendo. Party games are not going to move the system on their own.

stuwii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 stuwii
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

I usually buy most things nintendo no questions asked, but Wii U has yet to blow me away although that would well be down to the sub-par reveal. Powerwise id hope for something near the other next gen consoles to make sure i dont miss out on third party games, only thing really worrying me yet though is if wii u has to render 2 images, one for screen and one for controller, would that have much of an effect on the graphics?

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

It's never really been about the graphics to me, more about my serious addiction to Metroid and Zelda

cutebrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cutebrute
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts

I usually buy most things nintendo no questions asked, but Wii U has yet to blow me away although that would well be down to the sub-par reveal. Powerwise id hope for something near the other next gen consoles to make sure i miss out on third party games, only thing really worrying me yet though is if wii u has to render 2 images, one for screen and one for controller, would that have much of an effect on the graphics?

stuwii

This is also my concern. Even if the hardware is up to snuff and if the images rendered for the second screen don't require much processing power, it's still resources being taken away from the machine. While I doubt this would be a major issue, it makes me wonder if it may force Nintendo into making claims similar to what they have been making with the 3ds (that developers don't actually need to utilize the 3d feature) in order to retain more support and hardware power.

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
Depends on what the competition does. :)ZumaJones07
Wii U comes out (I'm guessing) like a year before PS4 and Xbox next, if I'm correct. They havent even announced nintys competetor consoles yet at e3 so no matter what Wii U will still be under powered and have less graphical visuals BUT it will still be kick ass. I know that if Nintendo releases it this early it will not look and be as powerfull as its competitors but I'm still waiting to hear from Sony and Microsoft specs
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I suppose if I was thinking solely in terms of my wallet, I'd like the Wii U to be about as powerful as a 360 and cost $199.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#49 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I've been considering this since they first announced the system, and I'm honestly not sure. I think a lot of it will depend on what the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft look like by comparison.

My current opinion is that in the next generation the graphical upgrade won't be quite as relevant because, in reality, graphics are already beginning to reach their peak. By the time we reach near-photo realism, where else is there to go? Let's not also forget that Nintendo essentially skipped a generation of graphics with Wii, so their franchises will look, unlike with the transition from Gamecube to Wii, noticeably different from their previous looks. I'm inclined to think that the graphical differences will matter more for third party support than the platform's viability as an entertainment device.

Basically, as long as I see Zelda in HD, I'll be a happy camper.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

If I'm ok with Wii over PS3/360, I will be ok with Wii U over PS4/Xbox3.

I don't want them to go above its current level of horsepower because that means we will get less games released. Nintendo doesn't have many employees so even if they wanted they couldn't handle a "PS4" type of console.

Nintendo needs to expand. Developing 3D (not stereo effect) games for 3DS and HD games for Wii U requires way more resources. Going beyond this would be unsustainable for them.

720p native res, 60 fps is ideal for me. I want my meaty 30 hour games, not 8 hours of cinematic blockbuster stuff.