I'd like to see Portal 2 on Wii.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintenjoe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintenjoe3
Member since 2010 • 385 Posts

I know it's kind of late, but I'm surprised no one else has asked for it. I would have liked to see the first Portal on Wii, but now that Portal 2 was announced, I thought this could be a better chance. The Wii's controls work just right for the game, especially if they could be customizable.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I wish Portal was on Wii. I'd grab that instantly even though I have the PC version :P As for Portal 2, I doubt it's coming to Wii anytime soon so I guess it's PC again for me.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I assume you'll make the Source Engine work on Wii then?
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I assume you'll make the Source Engine work on Wii then? Head_of_games
Well they swore up and down it couldn't work on the PS3. Speaking of which, it took almost 4yrs for them to finally develop on the PS3, I wouldn't hold my breath for Valve working on the Wii lol.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
ya portal on the wii would be great might be the only FPS i would get for the wii over my PC
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I would love to see Portal on Wii. The controls on Wii would be perfect for the game. It would probably be the best console version because of it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(locopatho
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Alisbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Alisbet
Member since 2010 • 96 Posts

If Portal 2 would get released for the Wii, they better make it a downloadable game instead of a disc game.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmayaPapaya

If Portal 2 would get released for the Wii, they better make it a downloadable game instead of a disc game.

Alisbet

I don't think it would be possible.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Portal was based on technology used in an N64 game if I remember correctly. Though it wouldn't look as good as the PS3 version, it would definately be possible to get a working Portal game on the Wii. The portal concept is pretty basic. It doesn't require a great deal of technology to work.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(locopatho

It's because the Wii has nowhere near the power to run them correctly and once made they wont sell

It has nothing to do with a dev's like or dislike for the console

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I want Portal and/or Portal 2 on the Wii as well but you cannot expect much from Valve with regards to that.
nintenjoe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintenjoe3
Member since 2010 • 385 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(Jaysonguy

It's because the Wii has nowhere near the power to run them correctly and once made they wont sell

Actually the Wii has been proven to be capable of more power than any other console. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 used less than one-third of the Wii's power.
omza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omza
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Must admit, this would be awesome!
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(nintenjoe3

Actually the Wii has been proven to be capable of more power than any other console. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 used less than one-third of the Wii's power.

Where did you hear that from :|

AGM3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AGM3002
Member since 2003 • 901 Posts

[QUOTE="nintenjoe3"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

AmayaPapaya

Where did you hear that from :|

The wii is more powerful then the other consoles?? That's news to me!!!

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Jaysonguy

I agree, portal's physics need the power, the game doesn't work without them

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JuarN18

The physics in Portal are just a modified Havok engine. Considering the Havok engine worked for the GCN and X box, I don't see why it can't work for the Wii.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(Jaysonguy

Not true entirely. Portal 1, to my knowledge from beating it many times, does less physics-wise and Graphics-wise than Half Life 2, which ran on the Xbox, and the Wii is moderately more powerful than the Xbox

And even Portal 2 is based off the minimum requirements of Half Life 2's original release (not the orange box re-release which raised the specs even though it could run at lower specs and well too) Portal only really needs about a 1.2Ghz P3 and 256MB RAM on a PC to run decent that is not too terribly far away from Wii specs, and with Valve's programming know-how and how simple it is to program for the Wii, and being that run-able builds of Portal and Half Life 2 exist for Xbox and therefore can run on Wii, Portal 1 is very much capable of being on Wii and being very good control-wise and graphics-wise, Portal 2 is a new game we have no clue if Valve will continue their usual PC trend of setting the bar low on System Requirements so the masses can play their titles or if they will push it to the max.

Whether it would sell remains to be seen, but no one should expect Portal to sell well anywhere but PC, its a 2 hour game with no replay value (well little replay value) and no multiplayer should cost no more than $19.99 retail, and Valve knows it, thats why Portal retails for $9.99 on PC now at game stores

And furthermore the title will sell well (depending on developer investment and I doubt a Portal build for Wii using the still good Source Engine for Original Xbox would cost much at all since it already works on Wii, it'd probably be a pretty safe investment so long as they advertise well) if they advertised a title well they could push 100,000 units for $20 at retail, and a couple of million dollars off a (maybe tens of thousands of dollars, maybe 100k or so) investment since most of the tools Valve would use for a Wii version seem to honestly already be there.

I don't see how the Wii can't run a lot of these HD/PC titles "correctly" as some people say

The physics in Portal is nothing special, its no better than some 6 year old Original Xbox games, and the graphics in 480p wouldn't actually hinderthe gameplay of the title, so it would seem to play "correctly" to me. I mean Resident Evil 5 shouldn't run "correctly" on the Wii even though the character animations and physics seem to be largely recycled from RE4.

Speaking of that, I still don't understand why RE5 isn't on Wii from a business view. They said it couldn't be done, but they released a last gen game with a fresh coat of 1080p paint, and they said it couldn't run the title screen yet now the Wii runs both the COD4 engine (with little to no gameplay impairments) and the MT Framework that RE5 uses. I think Capcom is just lazy, and that Valve is also lazy. But maybe Portal 1/2 on Wii wouldn't sell well at all, so I'd imagine Valve doesn't think so and thats why they don't do it, but RE5 is plain stupid coz thats guaranteed 1-2 million units sold on Wii

Sorry to go a bit off topic there TC, i'd think Portal 2 could potentially work on great on Wii, but i'm having a hard time wishing for Wii version of P2 when HL2:EP3 isn't here yet on other platforms (Get on it Valve)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I said it before I will say it again, if the money is there, any game can be made to work on any console. But Valve doesn't like to stray far from the PC, the 360 is closest console comparison, they flat out refused to work on the PS3 until the desperate fanbase became simply walking dollar signs. I don't see the Wii audience showing that kind of desperation for a 3rd party game, so the cash register hasn't gone off yet.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

AmayaPapaya

The physics in Portal are just a modified Havok engine. Considering the Havok engine worked for the GCN and X box, I don't see why it can't work for the Wii.

Havok engine=/= Source Engine, just because you can run the engine it doesn't mean you can run the game

EX: Bioshock runs in the old Unreal 2.5 engine something the wii can run without a problem but the wii will never have bioshock's water effects and lightning

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Even if it was out on Wii I would still only buy the PC version.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="JuarN18"] I agree, portal's physics need the power, the game doesn't work without them

JuarN18

Havok engine=/= Source Engine, just because you can run the engine it doesn't mean you can run the game

EX: Bioshock runs in the old Unreal 2.5 engine something the wii can run without a problem but the wii will never have bioshock's water effects and lightning

Actually Bioshock runs on Unreal Engine 3. 2K Boston had to heavily modify the Unreal Engine 3 to get the effects they wanted.

Also Source can work on the Wii not on high settings. But Valve said they can get the source engine to work on the Wii.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I assume you'll make the Source Engine work on Wii then? Head_of_games
Well considering they used the source engine for half life 2, which is on the weaker xbox, and they had the source engine for very old games like half life source I think the wii could handle it.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FPS1337
ya well since they made it for microsofts enemy console, who knows anythings possible. The PC version will be the best, but maybe with the Wii mote being similar to the mouse in some ways the Wii could do well with portal. Portal is not to demanding in graphics and do look nice, and considering half life 2 was on the xbox which is weaker then the wii the source engine could definetely work on the Wii, maybe not like it does on pc or xbox 360, but it could work. I think it could run portal on max settings, 640x480 resolution because the Wii can`t play it one higher resolution except I think 720x480 for widescreen.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#27 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

That would be very nice. Since I don't own a PS3 or a 360 I would buy that version even if it had inferior visuals.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts

That would be very nice. Since I don't own a PS3 or a 360 I would buy that version even if it had inferior visuals.

Pierst179

there is a PC version . you could get that

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FPS1337
[QUOTE="Sonick54"]

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

there is a PC version . you could get that

ya but you would need a decent graphics card to play it or else it will have inferior visuals anyways.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#30 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

when I played Portal on my Laptop and when I played Metroid Prime for the Wii....I thought to myself...

Why isn't this game on the Wii?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

when I played Portal on my Laptop and when I played Metroid Prime for the Wii....I thought to myself...

LegatoSkyheart

Because the Wii doesn't have near the power to run it

That's why

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(WreckEm711

I really really hate to admit it but I believe there's actually a ton of truth to this unfortunately. But the Wii is so underpowered and outdated (even though I love it) that's not an enticing platform for a lot of bigtime core devs to work on. A sad truth but a truth nonetheless.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Jaysonguy

That's why

I think that's a little bit of Bull Honkey cause.

This

doesn't look much VASTLY SUPERIOUR to this.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

That's why

This

Oh God

I'm glad you found a pic of Portal running on the Coleco Adam and you think that proves anything

You've cemented my argument. You're showing Portal at it's lowest specs which I bet runs at 8fps and that still looks better then Metroid 3

Let alone the physics engine that the Wii can't run at all

People find a game that looks ok and ask "why can't this run on the Wii" and no one pays attention to physics and AI and sound, all things that the Wii is a generation behind.

The mantra of "I don't mind playing an inferior version" is great but asking devs to waste their time making the worst version available while there's a multitude of options to play the games isn't fair

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#35 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

So would I. It would be great with the motion controls.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

That's why

Jaysonguy

This

Oh God

I'm glad you found a pic of Portal running on the Coleco Adam and you think that proves anything

You've cemented my argument. You're showing Portal at it's lowest specs which I bet runs at 8fps and that still looks better then Metroid 3

People find a game that looks ok and ask "why can't this run on the Wii" and no one pays attention to physics and AI and sound, all things that the Wii is a generation behind.

The mantra of "I don't mind playing an inferior version" is great but asking devs to waste their time making the worst version available while there's a multitude of options to play the games isn't fair

That Picture of Portal running on the "Coleco Adam" is a screen shot from Portal on my Laptop.

and fyi, it runs in more frames than just 8.

MisterEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MisterEditor
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

I'd love to see Portal on the Wii. Think it would work perfectly on the platform. Although...with Move coming to the PS3 and Portal 2 as well...isn't it the same thing only better?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 locopatho

Oh God

Jaysonguy

I'd agree with ya except for one series. Boom Blox had some lovely physics on Wii. I was quite impressed to see dozens of blocks (blox? :P) spinning or falling away. It wasn't something I expected from Wii. I think the Portal physics could be possible on Wii. I just don't think they bothered. I agree with you about devs not being bothered to make a worst version too.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(WreckEm711

Unfortunately, that is the case. Most Multiplat games could be ported to the Wii with some graphical changes. However, the devs say that on the Wii, there simply, "isn't the market for it." I recognize that some games might just be too big to fit on a Wii disc.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

That's why

Jaysonguy

This

Oh God

Ok, check out the texture in that portal screenshot. Horrible. Yes, it may be in it's lowest specs, but that is one way that consoles triumph over PC. If you have the console, it will run that game. PC you have to worry about have enough RAM, or good enough graphic and sound cards. And why would you be worried about physics on Portal?

EDIT: Here is a much better graphics comparison:

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

exactly, you said it all. well at least i have PS3 tooi guess...

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AmayaPapaya

I recognize that some games might just be too big to fit on a Wii disc.

wes008

A wii dual layer disc can fit just a bit more than the 360's. There are only 3 dual layer disc games also, so that isn't a problem at all

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Jaysonguy

That's why

Man, you can say this as many times as you want, and argue as many people's stupid arguments as you want, but the point remains that you ignore every time someone says the main point: The source engine ran on the original Xbox. No, the Wii cannot run Portal with the same graphics as 360 or PC at HIGHEST SPECS, but lower specs in the Source Engine are MORE than possible on Wii, and the physics in portal aren't exactly earth shaking... The Force Unleashed on Wii had physics that did everything Portal did and more. I'm not saying anything about Portal 2 as we haven't seen very much of it yet, but to say that the Wii cannot run Portal with degraded visuals is pretty much incorrect. So if you know something about the Source Engine on Wii that everyone else here has overlooked, please correct me... I'm genuinely curious why you're so convinced it's impossible when most of the facts seem to point to the opposite... or you could just quote another person asking why it's not on Wii and tell them it's not powerful enough.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LegatoSkyheart

Ok, check out the texture in that portal screenshot. Horrible. Yes, it may be in it's lowest specs, but that is one way that consoles triumph over PC. If you have the console, it will run that game. PC you have to worry about have enough RAM, or good enough graphic and sound cards. And why would you be worried about physics on Portal?

EDIT: Here is a much better graphics comparison:

wes008

Yeah that is a bit of a better comparison. I still say it's Bull Snot to say that the Wii can't run Portal.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
Obvious portal 1 could be ported to the wii if they wanted. Wii has way above the required power to run a simple game like that.Im pretty sure MW 1 demanded a better pc to run it, and hell, it runs at 30fps on the wii minus some effects and shaders. And prime is not a good engine to push Wii, given that it runs on a cube engine, and it was admited by Retro that even DKC pushes wii harder than Prime did. In other words, Wii is barely using some power while running Prime. even valve said their engine is highly scalable to run anywhere, even an xbox.And it did. So yeah,. its possible, is probably easy to do, but it might not be profitable unless theres some mayor push. Portal1 is no Uncharted. Maybe Portal 2 is pushy but thats not even very sure.
Darkainious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkainious
Member since 2009 • 558 Posts
They won't hate it next gen. It will be like they don't hate the 3ds cause they saw how much crap sells on ds.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho
[QUOTE="locopatho"]There's a load of 360/PS3 games I'd like to see on Wii. But it won't happen cos devs hate the Wii :(Darkainious
They won't hate it next gen. It will be like they don't hate the 3ds cause they saw how much crap sells on ds.

DS already gets good 3rd party support tho. 3DS just continuing a trend. Whereas Wii continued the trend of bad 3rd party support for Nintendo consoles.
Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#48 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

Most Wii games use pointing the wiimote to aim in FPS's. Whenever you are increasing speed going through portals at ridiculous speeds to build momentum, there is no way you could manage to get a good enough responce to flip around aim at the small square, and fire a portal in time. Maybe it would work with a classic controller, but I'm not sure I'd wanna play Portal on a classic.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Most Wii games use pointing the wiimote to aim in FPS's. Whenever you are increasing speed going through portals at ridiculous speeds to build momentum, there is no way you could manage to get a good enough responce to flip around aim at the small square, and fire a portal in time. Maybe it would work with a classic controller, but I'm not sure I'd wanna play Portal on a classic.

Shadowtails9000

It was actually easier for me to play with a Dual Analog controller only because when I played on PC with a Mouse I kept having to adjust my mouse and when I would doing those jumps you can stay in the portal for a while when you adjust to place the portal in the next space.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The Wii could run Portal, it is using the same version of Source that Half Life 2 used, which has since been updated dozens of times. The Wii could easily run HF2, so it is safe to assume it could run Portal. Portal 2 is using the updated Source engine, so there is now way that the Wii could ever run it.