Icarian: Kindred Spirits - for a change of pace

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I was going through the videos on the Nintendo Channel while I ate a donut and came across a trailer for Icarian. It's a WiiWare game that looks awesome, and there have only been three threads ever about it in this forum, and it's not mentioned in Haziq's superthread (wink wink). I figure it needs some more attention, and we need a bit of a break from all the E3 talk anyway, right?

The screenshots are kinda jaggy and look outdated based on the trailer I saw, so I'll only show one that shows off the beautiful scenery:

The side-scrolling gameplay looks similar to LostWinds in that you control the movement of your character with the remote but also control a helper with the IR pointer, but there appears to be much more to do (including actually fighting enemies). You can move blocks, guide gusts of wind, topple towers, shoot enemies, carry a torch to light your way, and probably other things with the icon. Icarian has a great sense of styIe and seems like a really relaxing WiiWare game that makes great use of what the Wii has to offer.

IGN has the debut trailer from a little over a month ago,which is different (and better) than the Nintendo Channel trailer. Check it out and remember it. This is the kind of game that makes WiiWare such a great thing.... Old school gaming styIe with new school updates.

For those interested, the developer is Over the Top Games, who has virtually no track record whatsoever, and the record of their individual members is weak. However, their company was founded specifically to design downloadable games like this, so we'll see how their debut game turns out. So far, it looks great.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I liked it the first time I saw it. The only thing that worries me is the length. Hope there's more than just a few hours in the gameplay(which is what turned me off a bit from Lost Winds).

Unfortunately, I don't think this will satisfy the Icarus demand.:P

Thanks for the post.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

The first time I saw it, I thought it was going ot be pretty bad. Then I saw the gameplay, and I knew I was wrong. If people want LostWinds 2 and can't wait, this is definitely the game they should be picking up when it's up for download.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
well part of the lack of attention is not due to the quality,it appears really good and its featured in the nintendo channel.But the sheer amount of other good titles coming,specially as of last few days and the fact this is a wiiware game subtracts attention it surely deserves.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Hmm, interesting, I'll add it to my radar.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The game came out over a year ago for retail. I saw it once on GS shelves for like $8.

I'm glad they are porting it to wiiware cause it was always way too short.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JordanElek

The game came out over a year ago for retail. I saw it once on GS shelves for like $8.

I'm glad they are porting it to wiiware cause it was always way too short.

goblaa

That must've been a different game, because their site says explicitly that's it's exclusively for WiiWare and makes no mention of another platform. There's also nothing on the internet about anything other than a WiiWare version.

well part of the lack of attention is not due to the quality,it appears really good and its featured in the nintendo channel.But the sheer amount of other good titles coming,specially as of last few days and the fact this is a wiiware game subtracts attention it surely deserves.intro94
Indeed, which is why I created this thread. I never create threads. ;)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I like these kinds of games

The clean lines that the minimal design carries makes the game look better then those that are so cluttered trying to add depth and contrast to everything.

This is one of the games that really stand out in the style department

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

What kind of donut?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JordanElek

What kind of donut?

kardine

Powdered and cream-filled.

I'm surprised so few people have even voted in the poll, considering the name is so close to ICARUS.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
That seems to be a nice relaxing game, i like the art style. plus the fights look kinda interesting, i'm having it on my radar now
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

As old as this is, I'll bite. Somebody is Obviously going to say something about how much this looks like a new Kid Icarus when they see this just like they did when the news was first released months ago so get ready for it. I like how this game looks and plays, the soundtrack reminds me of Kya: Dark Lineage (Which is always a major plus IMO), the only thingI haven't seen in the trailer isa way to fight. Maybe it's a complete exploration game which I can deal with, but as of right now I don't know and would like to see her fight. Overall, I like the game.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
you mean its not kid icarus?!?! i just downloaded it cuz i thought it was (jk)
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JordanElek

the only thingI haven't seen in the trailer isa way to fight. Maybe it's a complete exploration game which I can deal with, but as of right now I don't know and would like to see her fight. Overall, I like the game.nini200
You can shoot with the IR pointer, eventually at least. There's a part in the debut trailer with a bunch of birds being shot down by it. The focus seems to be on platforming and puzzle solving, but there's some combat in there as well, including boss battles (or at least one). I'd love it if the boss battles were more puzzle oriented, though.... something along the lines of some of the StarTropics bosses, where simply shooting or hitting the enemy isn't enough. There's enough potential with the different abilities from the gods to really play with some good bosses.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starwarsjunky
is this game actually released yet?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JordanElek

is this game actually released yet? starwarsjunky
Nope. It'll probably be soon, but I don't think there's any definite release dates since it's WiiWare.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 starwarsjunky
thats what i thought. looks like it has alot of potential. prolly will look at reviews/ opinions before deciding if its for me tho
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

[QUOTE="kardine"]

What kind of donut?

JordanElek

Powdered and cream-filled.

I'm surprised so few people have even voted in the poll, considering the name is so close to ICARUS.

I voted... Besides that the developer is smart to tap into the cult classic love Kid Icarus. I expect it will be a success on some level.