How is the next generation of nintendo handeld going to be backwards compatible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
With ds games. The only way it could do that is if it has a touch screen. Because some games force you to use the touch screen.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The next generation of handhelds for Nintendo will have a touch screen.

I don't think anyone's even asked this before.

Why would they try to fix what's not broken?

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts

Jaysonguy
Did nintendo already state that there next handheld would have a touch screen. I would think that they would do something different.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
I wonder if Nintendo will use two screens (one of them being a touch screen)... if they don't, we're messed up...
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

They will either continue the DS format or they simply won't work.

Most likely the former in spite of Nintendo's initial comments about the DS being a 3rd pillar (a comment made before the DS became more sucessful than Nintendo could've imagined).

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

Jaysonguy

Good point. I think they should make the next one touch screen too.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
Guys, have you seen the sales for the DS? It's a flat out phenomenon, and it's crushing every other system in every major territory. I guarantee you that the next Nintendo handheld will be a direct continuation of the DS brand with two screens. They probably will get rid of the GBA port, though, considering that they barely fit it into the DS Lite. It's kind of a shame that all of the GameBoy legacy support is dying after such a long stretch of backwards compatability, but I guess that's the price to be paid for smaller systems.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IpodHero176

Guys, have you seen the sales for the DS? It's a flat out phenomenon, and it's crushing every other system in every major territory. I guarantee you that the next Nintendo handheld will be a direct continuation of the DS brand with two screens. They probably will get rid of the GBA port, though, considering that they barely fit it into the DS Lite. It's kind of a shame that all of the GameBoy legacy support is dying after such a long stretch of backwards compatability, but I guess that's the price to be paid for smaller systems.Archon_basic

I heard in their next design for the DS(GS had an article about it a few months ago), Nintendo said that in the design, they removed the GBA slot for some reason(I forgot why).

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

Guys, have you seen the sales for the DS? It's a flat out phenomenon, and it's crushing every other system in every major territory. I guarantee you that the next Nintendo handheld will be a direct continuation of the DS brand with two screens. They probably will get rid of the GBA port, though, considering that they barely fit it into the DS Lite. It's kind of a shame that all of the GameBoy legacy support is dying after such a long stretch of backwards compatability, but I guess that's the price to be paid for smaller systems.Archon_basic

yea they're dropping the gba slot and adding an on-board save system for other applications or maybe music/video support. its also gonna house larger screens and slimmer thickness. maching is gonna be a psp killer:D

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IpodHero176

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]Guys, have you seen the sales for the DS? It's a flat out phenomenon, and it's crushing every other system in every major territory. I guarantee you that the next Nintendo handheld will be a direct continuation of the DS brand with two screens. They probably will get rid of the GBA port, though, considering that they barely fit it into the DS Lite. It's kind of a shame that all of the GameBoy legacy support is dying after such a long stretch of backwards compatability, but I guess that's the price to be paid for smaller systems.red_sovereign

yea they're dropping the gba slot and adding an on-board save system for other applications or maybe music/video support. its also gonna house larger screens and slimmer thickness. maching is gonna be a psp killer:D

That will be interesting to see.

vcelloho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vcelloho
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

Didn't you here they announced their new system. The person who took this photo accidently mistyped the date.

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IpodHero176

Didn't you here they announced their new system. The person who took this photo accidently mistyped the date.

vcelloho

Where did you find this?

vcelloho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vcelloho
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts
http://bradchoate.com/weblog/2004/01/25/readermockup_012404_1.jpg
bleux7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 bleux7
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
the picture they showed for the next ds was on kotaku and it was a mock up image its not ds2 its for the ds anorexic model even lighter and slimmer and bigger screens thats about all it is and the next ds2 isnt hitting till 2010 :D
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

vcelloho
lol, I remember that. It's funny remembering all of the scepticism and bashing the DS was getting back when it was first announced. My how times have changed.
Vazere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Vazere
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts
[QUOTE="vcelloho"]

Jakendo

Nintendo BS? Does that stand for Nintendo BullSh*t?

Thats my guess lol

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
whats this new ds look like
Aang007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Aang007
Member since 2006 • 1961 Posts
i would think the next nintendo game would have better graphics although basically the same desighn because sales have gone so well, but i believe the next nintendo hand held will have more interactive games better graphics more 3d games overall a better system but i dont think theyll mess with the formula too much.
red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

whats this new ds look like mariokart64fan

how different can it look. its gonna resemble the ds lite. just larger screens. its just a remake of the ds lite. the system is so popular, n doesnt wanna bomb it right now by making a completely different platform. just keep remaking the ds until the sales plateau. in fact, the new model is ALREADY complete, its just a matter of releasing it. so until people stop buying ds's, we wont be seeing it anytime soon, but its coming :D

X_XSlashX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 X_XSlashX_X
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts
Knowing Nintendo their always gonna try somthing new and I feel their next portable system they are gonna try somthing new with the touch screen feature idk what but there gonna build a new system with new features mixed in with the old features of the ds thats what I think they might do or they could just come up with somthing completely new but I doubt they would
Rockhopper_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rockhopper_45
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts

Jaysonguy
Exactly think how long they had the game boy thing going on.
Aang007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Aang007
Member since 2006 • 1961 Posts

the 1 thing i dont like about the ds, is i think the part seperating the 2 screens is a little to big.I know it might be a stupid thing but it can get annoying.

and also they should have some better side scrollers.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts

To the Nintendo BS Picture: The idea of the DS sure got bashed when it was known to the public, especially after seeing how nice the PSP was, guess not many expected DS's success.

I just hope that the next handheld for Nintendo is gonna have a bigger, higher resolution screen, and much better tech specs.
The Touch Screen still has lots of potential not fully realised, so they'll probably continue with it.

jaygun007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jaygun007
Member since 2005 • 180 Posts
I hope it isnt backwards compatible, I want the GameBoy2 to come out with like gamecube grafix lol that would be so awesome
wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

i havent read anything about any new concepts, but i would imagine it would be more like a portable media device, enabling music, videos, and a faster internet..maybe slightly larger screens..what have you. i saw a pretty awesome concept design not too long ago that looked like a DS iPhone hybrid. it was amazing. if i find it ill post it here.

regardless, its GOTTA have a touch screen to be at least DS backwards compatible. that would just be a dumb move on nintendo's part. backwards compatibility with GBA is half the reason i bought my DS in the first place. im not saying its gotta have GBA compatibility, but we all know a lack of regular DS compatibility would be a huge mistake.

whew. sorry about the rant. im sleepy.

EDIT: here's that concept i was talking about. i think its great.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts
The next handheld would probably at least have backward compatibility to the DS like most of the Nintendo handhelds so far(one handheld back)
And i dont think it will have any compatability with the GBA/GBC carts, since by the time it comes out, the GBA probably have had stopped their game production for some time already.
A bigger, wider screen with better resolution together with better sound quality speakers would make it an even greater handheld(with the touch screen of course)
streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

wagepeace

That would be a sexy machine. I vote for that one. lol The need to figure out some good ways to incorporate thumb sticks though. I thought the psp's did a good job but needed a second one. If they could figure out how to put in 2 thumb sticks....then it would fix all kinda of control issues.

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

Im hoping the GBA slot will be taken out because I rarley use it, and the DS could be made thinner without it. I

hope they add a port for a micro sd cards, and It will have a start up menu like the PSP with music, pictures, video, internet, and the sort.

That iphone DS looks sick. I wish it would be made, I would buy no matter the price.

Im really looking forwrd to a next-gen DS.

Oh yeah, one more sweet feature would be something like x-box live on the ds, but free. And you can chat with anyone without having to use a friend code.You would also be able to download demos and previews of games like the ds download station. If only if only.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#31 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Even if it's not, I don't really care, I have a DS and when I want to play DS games I'll get a DS.
Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

Even if it's not, I don't really care, I have a DS and when I want to play DS games I'll get a DS.Junior_AIN

This is the classic Anti-BC comment. I say, if they can allow for it without sacrificing too much space they should go for it. If the next Nintendo handheld will be a direct descendent of the DS, I don't see why it would be. As for new features, I just want better graphics and bigger screens, and an SD slot would be nice.

mcsballa8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mcsballa8
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts

when's the updated version of the ds lite supposed to come out.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

the only thing about chatting without friend codes is that is opens up a lot of doors for perverts and freak-o's to prey on innocent children. in this day in age we unfortunately have to worry about that. i dont think anyone on here is foolish enough to fall for anything like that, but i promise you..there are a lot of kids who play video games unattended. i kinda like that you have to have the fc... besides, i can just go on here and get some #'s from you guys and im good to go.

PS- Post #450! :D

guidedtruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 guidedtruth
Member since 2007 • 587 Posts
the next ds is going to make it so you will you's it more in public. like the dude in nintendo said they are going to take out the gba slot so they can make louder sound and bigger screen i hope they make somethng that if you download something form the download station you will be able to keep it. i think the fc thing said before is true.
Tamim992000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tamim992000
Member since 2005 • 65 Posts
they should keep touch screen becuz how on earth are they gonna be able to play old games like DS ones? cuz the DS plays both DS and GBA games while the GBA played both GBA and GBC games... they should have touch screen, improved graphics obviously, but another game mechanic thats original. (touch screen and the wii motion sensing are the most original of all in gaming history)
TheIndianChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 TheIndianChild
Member since 2007 • 1731 Posts
[QUOTE="Jakendo"][QUOTE="vcelloho"]

Vazere

Nintendo BS? Does that stand for Nintendo BullSh*t?

Thats my guess lol

Seriously , that looks sick . Thank god it's a fake