`How in the hell did you get your Wii?

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

I get paid tomorrow, and I'm probably going to go looking all over half the state for one. Thing is, I don't like waking up in the morning..because that's how I've heard a lot of people got there's by camping for it. And if I don't buy it...I'll probably buy a 360 instead which I'm still trying to find reasons to buy it now. I plan to have all 3 consoles. I wanted the Wii first, but the PS3 was easier to get and the 360 is the one I want the least. I would've bought it a year ago if I really wanted it. :(

So, how'd you get your Wii? Could you tell me what state you're in? Because it seems the less popular states like lolwyoming are easier to find it in. I just want to find out how good my chances are. Thanks! :D  

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 majadamus
Oh, could you guys tell me what store too?
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 majadamus
I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.shockwave04
I never knew you could pre-order consoles.
slingblade00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 slingblade00
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I had to wait in line for about 6 hours

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts
Pre-ordered. I pre-ordered a little late, though, and had to wait 2 weeks after the launch, until they had a console for me. Pre-ordering is gooooooooood. :D
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shockwave04
I got it at Gamestop.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
I got mine the week after it came out. Best Buy got them in on a Sunday morning; I got there and stood in line for a few hours and got a ticket that allowed me to purchase it. I was ticket 32 and they had like 40 for that shipment. My advice, it seems like stores hold them out or receive their shipment and they sell them on Sundays. In the case of best buy, check the ad for the weekend. If it shows Wii in it then they are planning on getting the shipment. The ad usually comes out on Thursday so if they know they aren't getting Wii's then they won't put it in the ad. Get there early on Sunday morning. By the way, I live a half hour north of Detroit. GO TIGERS!!!
Ire-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ire-7
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts
well i got mine at wall-mart and basically i camped all night on a school day
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts
i got mine as I got off of work one day, but I work third shift so I get off at 6:30am lol
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="shockwave04"]I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.majadamus

you can preorder almost anything that comes out at game stores I think
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 majadamus
EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kidrock17xp
Oh, could you guys tell me what store too? majadamus
Meijers but they only have those in select states
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kidrock17xp
EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me. majadamus
Keep in eye on their weekly ads, if they get any i'd bet they'd be in that ad to be sold on sunday morning.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shockwave04
[QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="shockwave04"]I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.kidrock17xp

Yeah they like it because you give them money and they only have to give you a piece of paper.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11998 Posts
I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.shockwave04
I found one in a Sam Goody
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 majadamus
[QUOTE="majadamus"]EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me. kidrock17xp
Keep in eye on their weekly ads, if they get any i'd bet they'd be in that ad to be sold on sunday morning.

Ya, I work 3rd shift from Saturday into Sunday as well. I get off at 9 am though. I think I'll head to Walmart when I get off work. I'll have to check out the newspapers for the ads.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="shockwave04"]I pre-ordered it and got it on launch day.shockwave04

Yeah they like it because you give them money and they only have to give you a piece of paper.

at least gamestop and stuff honors it, I heard that fyi and junk don't, which is just wrong. I'd never preorder anything but a console, I see preordering games as useless
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="majadamus"]EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me. majadamus

Ya, I work 3rd shift from Saturday into Sunday as well. I get off at 9 am though. I think I'll head to Walmart when I get off work. I'll have to check out the newspapers for the ads.

i take it where you work wouldn't have any? That would be ideal, just go on a break and get it lol. Good luck on getting one, hopefully it will get easy soon, my buddy wants to get one too.
hatattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 hatattack
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts
I got mine at amazon.com, it cost $100 more but it was worth it:D
Maelkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maelkav
Member since 2007 • 399 Posts

It is interesting to see that the selling out of Wiis in stores is still holding up strong. Yeah, it's sad to see that people can't get their hands on one without overpaying for one on eBay, but "experts" (read:360 and PS3 fans) were saying that all the clamor and hype for the Wii would die down by the middle of February...

Guess again!

NickActon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NickActon
Member since 2003 • 406 Posts
waited for 6 hrs in the freezing cold outside of EBgames' door one month before launch to preorder (7th of 13 reserved that day there)
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
i was in the store when the manager got a call from nintendo and said aloud as writing it down that they were getting three wiis the next day in between 10 and eleven, so i got there at 9:30 and waited an hour until i got one.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kidrock17xp

It is interesting to see that the selling out of Wiis in stores is still holding up strong. Yeah, it's sad to see that people can't get their hands on one without overpaying for one on eBay, but "experts" (read:360 and PS3 fans) were saying that all the clamor and hype for the Wii would die down by the middle of February...

Guess again!

Maelkav
it's funny in a sense, it's selling like crazy, but yet you got a bunch of people that complain nothing is coming out for it at the same time lol
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kidrock17xp
i was in the store when the manager got a call from nintendo and said aloud as writing it down that they were getting three wiis the next day in between 10 and eleven, so i got there at 9:30 and waited an hour until i got one.soulsdeparting
what store was that, I didn't think Nintendo themselves called anybody on shipments
wiiforever25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiiforever25
Member since 2007 • 433 Posts
i walked into gametop, and bought one, really easy.  want it.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 majadamus
[QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="majadamus"]EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me. kidrock17xp

i take it where you work wouldn't have any? That would be ideal, just go on a break and get it lol. Good luck on getting one, hopefully it will get easy soon, my buddy wants to get one too.

I don't get any breaks really...I have to keep watch over my clients my entire shift. Job isn't demanding by any means though. I really don't want to wait outside... :( It's spring, but it got cold again.
Maelkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maelkav
[QUOTE="Maelkav"]

Guess again!

kidrock17xp

it's funny in a sense, it's selling like crazy, but yet you got a bunch of people that complain nothing is coming out for it at the same time lol

At least 80% of those people who complain are non-Wii owners, I'd wager.

klonoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 klonoi
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

i camped out for 11 hours with a group of my closest friends in front of the local fred meyer on launch day. 8 way monopoly marathon for 5 hours and i won. i was so stoked. then we watched a movie and skated in front of the store, finally it came to 7 am and i was 4th in line.

Advice is to camp, your garanteed one basically, and if you camp with your friends (if any) it is a lot of fun.

imanpcc101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 imanpcc101
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Camped at Best Buy with my friends for about 7 hours. Ive never done anything like that before so it was weird and they are Germany so they weren't affected by the cold, i was alot though. It was ok becuause it was alot of fun.
-KoN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 -KoN-
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts

Launch Day

Got there at 8 PM and waited 12 HOURS but it was worth it.

And got it at Target

kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="majadamus"]EBgames and Gamestops are usually in populated areas and they hardly even have PS3s in stock. I live in a small town with no gamestops or ebgames at all, but there is a Walmart that had Wii's for sale. They just took down the price tags. I bet the clerks are really getting tired of seeing/hearing from me. majadamus

I don't get any breaks really...I have to keep watch over my clients my entire shift. Job isn't demanding by any means though. I really don't want to wait outside... :( It's spring, but it got cold again.

haha yeh, I live in MI, was freaking 9 degrees with the wind chill and was like 65 or so a few days ago....
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="Maelkav"]

Guess again!

Maelkav

At least 80% of those people who complain are non-Wii owners, I'd wager.

could be
Maelkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maelkav

could bekidrock17xp

I'm just basing my guess on the fact that that over 80% of threads about the Wii not having enough games are located in System Wars, and that 0% of the people I know with Wiis complain about not having enough games.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
On A Saturday night on GS I heard new shipments were going on sale at walmarts on Sunday, so I walked in at 9:00am and got the 6th to last one of a shipment of 30.
mcxps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mcxps3
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
waited in line for ten minutes at launch at my local best buy.
ninja929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 ninja929
Member since 2006 • 183 Posts
got it launch day...toys r us...12 hours in line
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Luck. Second Shipment, last one out of 11.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I did my research instead of whining online. I asked my local stores when they were getting a new shipment. Then when Toys R Us got a shipment, I showed up ten minutes before opening, got in line, and bought it. Wiis are incredibly easy to find if you actually do your research. Hoping you get lucky by walking into random stores will do you no good. I got mine 2 weeks after I began looking for it.
Avatar image for chaosknightdark
chaosknightdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chaosknightdark
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
It's all about connections my friend, I have an uncle who works at fry's.
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
waited for four hours in the cold on launch night. just call walmart everyday.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 majadamus
I did my research instead of whining online. I asked my local stores when they were getting a new shipment. Then when Toys R Us got a shipment, I showed up ten minutes before opening, got in line, and bought it. Wiis are incredibly easy to find if you actually do your research. Hoping you get lucky by walking into random stores will do you no good. I got mine 2 weeks after I began looking for it.Rocky32189

It's not easy around here. There are 5 ebgames and gamestops located in one highly populated city. 2 of those stores in the same mall on the same floor and there is one store separating them. Ridiculous. Then there's another city with 3 game stores and they're like 5 miles apart.
jmm0070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#43 jmm0070
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

I went to a shop and buyed it. lol.

I'm from Chile and aren't as much console buyers as in US, but it costs 250.000 pesos (about us$500)

zelda28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zelda28
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I got mine a week before Christmas. I bought it at Amazon. I was a selected person who was able to purchase it.
nightmoves369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nightmoves369
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
25 hours inside a walmart. Ive never seen so many people shopping for sheets in my entire life. Some pretty crazy things happened, such as me choking on a powdered donut, idiots racing the handicaped carts around the store, and toddlers running around without their parents.
Solaris222002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Solaris222002
Member since 2004 • 979 Posts
Got the last one in the store a month after launch, there are plenty at my local GameStop.
Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
my parenst just walked into EBgames and just asked for one, and luckily they had one wii console left. my parents had to whisper so that no one else would overhear and decide to buy the wii before my parents did. At that time everyone was desperate for a nintendo wii because it was christmas, but i have mine:D

I get paid tomorrow, and I'm probably going to go looking all over half the state for one. Thing is, I don't like waking up in the morning..because that's how I've heard a lot of people got there's by camping for it. And if I don't buy it...I'll probably buy a 360 instead which I'm still trying to find reasons to buy it now. I plan to have all 3 consoles. I wanted the Wii first, but the PS3 was easier to get and the 360 is the one I want the least. I would've bought it a year ago if I really wanted it. :(

So, how'd you get your Wii? Could you tell me what state you're in? Because it seems the less popular states like lolwyoming are easier to find it in. I just want to find out how good my chances are. Thanks! :D  

majadamus
Avatar image for ClandestineZero
ClandestineZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ClandestineZero
Member since 2004 • 2477 Posts
Peeps gonna hate me for this :)

I was visiting my grandparents in Traverse City, MI, for Xmas.  I was hanging out at the local mall (Cherryland Mall, if I'm thinking straight) on the 27th of December.  There's a Target at that mall, and I work at a Target, so I felt like checking it out to see if this far-north store had anything mine didn't that I might like to use my discount on.  

I'm walking through electronics, glance once at the Wii case.  Nothing, as expected.  So I waltz over to the DS area to see if there's anything my DS would like, when some kid starts freaking out next to me.  The Electronics team member put a single Wii in the glass case.  He (and I, but I'm older and crustier by a few years, so the little squirt got to the desk before me) ran to the electronics counter to get the Wii.  

Self-owned:  The kid asks the ETM to hold the wii for 10 minutes while his mom drives over with the moolah.  

Snag:  Target doesn't allow holds for high-profile items.  We didn't do it for the 360 back when it launched, we didn't do it for the PS3, and we DEFINITELY didn't do it for the Wii.  

ETM tells the kid no-go, can't hold it.  Kid slumps off, whining that his big brother hogs the one he ALREADY HAS at home.  I step in, ask for the Wii, as in right now.  A trip to the glass cabinet and $220 later (Employee Discount :D) I'm at Grandpa's place playing Wii Sports until we finally get back home. 
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

Pre-ordered at EB for $200 and got it on launch day.

Felt great passing through the line of people outside waiting and hoping to get one as I entered the store and left 2 min later with my Wii. :)

Sunshyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sunshyn
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts

It just seemed to take a little planning and patience. I'm in Connecticut.

Mine was my x-mas gift from my husband. I ended up unwrapping Zelda TP for the holiday but being unable to play it. He made a habit of calling Best Buy, Target and Walmart for the following 2 months. When he found out the stores were expecting a few to be available one Sunday he just showed up at Walmart when it opened and got one. He'd had plans to hit whichever store opened an hour or so later than Walmart if he didn't get one there.

BTW, he isn't a gamer but has been playing at least Wii Sports every day since we got it. 

Â