good Wii games impossible to find

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

It seems that the good Wii (and DS) games have been drowned in a cavalcade of mediocrity (ty Yahtzee.) Every time I go to stores and check the game section, I can't find smaller, good 3rd party titles because stores seem to not stock them thanks to the deluge of shovelware hogging shelf space. I can't find Mushroom Men, Dokapon Kingdom, nor Soul Bubbles, or Ninjatown anywhere. Sometimes I can find Okami, but it's ridiculously overpriced. Castlevania games are pretty hard to come by too. That's pretty funny since it seems more shelf space is being reserved for Wii and DS these days.

Anyone else finding that good Wii and DS games are being pushed aside in favour of 3rd party crap, 1st party crap, 1st party stuff in general? Also, games seem to be going out of print rather quick.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
No not really. I mean there is a lot of shovelware but I find the game I am looking for just fine.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

It seems that the good Wii (and DS) games have been drowned in a cavalcade of mediocrity (ty Yahtzee.) Every time I go to stores and check the game section, I can't find smaller, good 3rd party titles because stores seem to not stock them thanks to the deluge of shovelware hogging shelf space. I can't find Mushroom Men, Dokapon Kingdom, nor Soul Bubbles, or Ninjatown anywhere. Sometimes I can find Okami, but it's ridiculously overpriced. Castlevania games are pretty hard to come by too. That's pretty funny since it seems more shelf space is being reserved for Wii and DS these days.

Anyone else finding that good Wii and DS games are being pushed aside in favour of 3rd party crap, 1st party crap, 1st party stuff in general? Also, games seem to be going out of print rather quick.

clicketyclick

Yeah, I have the same problem with the gamestop's around my house!

Theirs SOOOOOOOOO many crap games on the Wii and for some reason they put all the shovelware center stage on the shelf, not to mention gamestop orders the good games like NMH and Z&W in very small quantities (I mean like single digits at launch) so chances are they don't even have the games your looking for!

I buy all my games online now! Its cheaper and saves me the hassle of diging through shovelware!

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
any game from atlus is impossible to find on any system theres a few good games that is impossible to find
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
Well, Soul Bubbles is a Toys R Us exclusive so you're only going to find it there.
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

kenakuma

Yeah, I have the same problem with the gamestop's around my house!

Theirs SOOOOOOOOO many crap games on the Wii and for some reason they put all the shovelware center stage on the shelf, not to mention gamestop orders the good games like NMH and Z&W in very small quantities (I mean like single digits at launch) so chances are they don't even have the games your looking for!

I buy all my games online now! Its cheaper and saves me the hassle of diging through shovelware!

Agreed, it's easy to find good first party games, depending on the title. It will be harder to find Super Paper Mario over Galaxy and Metroid. Great 3rd party games are hard to find because of stupid shovelware and some bad 3rd party efforts are fooling people, like Rygar, because of the box art. It's impossible to find Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes in EB Games since consumers are bombarded by stupid, minimal effort excuses for games. I don't know when it will get better. They should just put all the bad titles in the kiddie section.
cjm23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 cjm23
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts
I buy all of my games off of eBay now. Saves me tons of cash, don't even have to go anywhere to buy them, and when I'm done, sell 'em on there and lose hardly anything. That's only if I grow tired of a game. But if I CAN'T wait I go to Gamestop, and I agree, all I see is shovelware. Why not display the GOOD Wii games?
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
Sounds like you need to live in a larger town. I have no problems finding any games.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
any game from atlus is impossible to find on any system theres a few good games that is impossible to find elbert_b_23
my local eb games always have 3 or so baroque and dokapon kingdom. but i agree, last i tried to look for zack & wiki and bully, and couldnt find any
Goomba_Lord37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Goomba_Lord37
Member since 2008 • 5381 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was looking for Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes the other day, but nobody had them. I was really disappointed :(.
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
Unfortunately for Capcom as soon as they released Zack and Wiki it became an instant classic and couldn't be found anywhere. It's an excellent game though and a very fun concept. It's been less than 2 years since its release and I can't find new copies on Amazon.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]any game from atlus is impossible to find on any system theres a few good games that is impossible to find funsohng
my local eb games always have 3 or so baroque and dokapon kingdom. but i agree, last i tried to look for zack & wiki and bully, and couldnt find any

thats lucky i have 18 gamestops in my town and only one has a copy of dokapon kingdom and no baroque lucky enough i bought the last copy but bully is rare i was lucky when i found one at target
k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
At my local gamestop i got okami for $25 back in november, which i felt was a good deal because i almost bought it the month before for $40. Also my gamestop always has one or two copies of handheld castlevanias. As for the rest of the stuff you mentioned, i dont think i've seen them there yet, but that might be because i haven't really looked.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Buy games online.

You'll find everything you want, without having to look through all the crap.

channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
Do you guys check walmart? They seem to always have a couple copies of No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki. Zack and Wiki is only 15 bucks now at walmart.
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts
I've wanted to get Bully SE, but haven't seen it in any stores near me.
Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts
I've been able to find Baroque fairly easily at my Gamestop which has become a paycheck black hole for me. I even bought NMH there used a couple of days ago. I've also found Zak & Wiki there too. I'm thinking of picking that up. Some of the Gamestops in my area are better than others.
jazzy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jazzy009
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts
i went to eb games once to get moh:h2 but i couldn't find it. i asked a guy who was working there and he didn't even know what i was talking about.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The only one thats been hard for me to find out of the list you mentioned was Mushroom Men. .. and you live in Toronto right? Go look in Eaton Centre, I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of copies of Dokapon Kingdom and Ninjatown.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]any game from atlus is impossible to find on any system theres a few good games that is impossible to find elbert_b_23

thats lucky i have 18 gamestops in my town and only one has a copy of dokapon kingdom and no baroque lucky enough i bought the last copy but bully is rare i was lucky when i found one at target

i can easily find bully and zack& wiki. it's just that they're at bestbuy/futureshop, which takes about 30 min drive to get to from my house
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Shop Online...
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Amazon is your friend. I haven't bought a video game from a brick-and-mortar store in at least a year.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
I don't know, I find most games if I look hard enough. I found zack and wicki in k-mart along with nmh for twenty bucks. Mushroom Men and dokapn kingdom are mostly in my store for days. Also my gamestop is crawling with castlevania game. I also find these games in circuit city and best buy. This is were I spend a pretty penny.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
This makes me want to get a gameshop going, one that has primarily the classics and the good games. Kind of a physical reviewer. A shop that stands for class, where gamers know they can send their moms because they won't be walking away with ninja toaster for the wii.

BTW why doesn't that happen?
Krssmn96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Krssmn96
Member since 2009 • 144 Posts

I've wanted to get Bully SE, but haven't seen it in any stores near me.webhead921

I bought Bully SE. in a very small shop thats like an hour from my house, if you look hard enough you'll find it

This makes me want to get a gameshop going, one that has primarily the classics and the good games. Kind of a physical reviewer. A shop that stands for class, where gamers know they can send their moms because they won't be walking away with ninja toaster for the wii.

BTW why doesn't that happen?KungfuKitten

Let me in on the action

Reggies has a good stock of games if you live in S.A

Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts

What I noticed at Gamestop were that the 3rd party games which were actually good were absolutely BURIED in a cavalcade of crap titles. Everything was thrown onto the bottom shelf. Tenchu whixh wasreleased 5 days ago was already on the bottom shelf. Luckily for Tenchu I threw it up to the 2nd shelf myself, since the thing was empty anyways.

The presentation of the systems at GS is very different from each other. New releases on the X360 are put on the front shelves out in the open.

The Wii shelves were very disorganized, with no genre specific placement forthegames or Quality specific placement. It was discouraging to see the good games hidden away on the bottom shelf with absolutely terrible titles.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

What I noticed at Gamestop were that the 3rd party games which were actually good were absolutely BURIED in a cavalcade of crap titles. Everything was thrown onto the bottom shelf. Tenchu whixh wasreleased 5 days ago was already on the bottom shelf. Luckily for Tenchu I threw it up to the 2nd shelf myself, since the thing was empty anyways.

The presentation of the systems at GS is very different from each other. New releases on the X360 are put on the front shelves out in the open.

The Wii shelves were very disorganized, with no genre specific placement forthegames or Quality specific placement. It was discouraging to see the good games hidden away on the bottom shelf with absolutely terrible titles.

DaLegendKilla92
Why does this happen? Do shops have to pay extra if they want a specific selection of games imported? Can someone like subrosian inform me? I know some of You have an understanding of economics.
SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
I went to Future Shop to see if, out of curiousity, they had Okami and ended up buying No More heroes. But I had to go through three shelves worth of crap to find it. So I agree.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Its because of one thing...Nintendo are taking ages to make their actual games like Mario, Zelda, STARFOX!!!!!! etc. Nintendo is focusing on other audiences as well such as kids which is why we have like 10 new shovelware games every single week...The Wii does have great games don't get it wrong (No more heroes, Okami, etc.) But god Nintendo should not allow such rubbish games to stain the Wii (Olympigs) I am not sure if I spelled or named that right but literally a game based on the olympics but instead of people you have pigs...Honestly it just doesn't get worse then that the cheek is they have the nerve to add graphics...And don't ask me how but a Yu GI Oh game on motorbikes is being made.....Just Don't ask please don't ask...I don't even like Yu Gi Oh...But God!....
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clicketyclick

Thanks for the responses, guys. At least I know I'm not alone in this!

As for the people who suggest buying online, I don't want to anymore for two reasons. The first is most games ship from the US and so I get hit with duty tax and S&H. Sometimes this totals up to more than the game itself (even shipping within Canada, the lowest price I can find Mushroom Men at on Ebay is $74.) The second is that I want to buy my games in a way that supports the developer, not second-hand.

Maybe we need to set up some sort of exchange if some people can find them in their local stores.

Wii really seems to be a system on which you have to buy the games you want right away, even if you don't intend to play them for a while, before they disappear completely. But sometimes, you can't even find the new games.

Well, Soul Bubbles is a Toys R Us exclusive so you're only going to find it there.Skie7

Are you sure about that? Well no matter, because I've looked there too and can't find it.

Sounds like you need to live in a larger town. I have no problems finding any games.bob_newman

Actually, my city is pretty big. It has one of the biggest, best-rated universities in it so ya. I make fun of it sometimes as being backwards, simply because it doesn't compare to Toronto.

Do you guys check walmart? They seem to always have a couple copies of No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki. Zack and Wiki is only 15 bucks now at walmart.channtheman1

Coming back from Walmart - my last best hope - was what prompted me to post this.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
I buy all of my games off of eBay now. Saves me tons of cash, don't even have to go anywhere to buy them, and when I'm done, sell 'em on there and lose hardly anything. That's only if I grow tired of a game. But if I CAN'T wait I go to Gamestop, and I agree, all I see is shovelware. Why not display the GOOD Wii games?cjm23
Um, maybe Gamestop knows what games are selling and display them. I think you are missing Nintendo's approach to gaming, and that is to sell to "casuals". What you call shovelware may be a lot of fun to another person. That's most likey why those games are displayed.
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts
I might have an answer for this... Remember all those people that are asking for good 3rd party games and how when the "good 3rd party games" come out they don't buy them. Instead they just say that they will buy them when the price drops. If these are the same people that are having a hard time finding those very same games they tossed asside at launch then we have our answer. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone, however this is a trend that might explain why it is difficult to find good 3rd party games in stock. Why would GameStop have X game in stock, 2 years later, if nobody bought it at launch? (I hope I don't come accross as being a category A jerk... it's just a possibility...)
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="evrdayblues"]I might have an answer for this... Remember all those people that are asking for good 3rd party games and how when the "good 3rd party games" come out they don't buy them. Instead they just say that they will buy them when the price drops. If these are the same people that are having a hard time finding those very same games they tossed asside at launch then we have our answer. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone, however this is a trend that might explain why it is difficult to find good 3rd party games in stock. Why would GameStop have X game in stock, 2 years later, if nobody bought it at launch? (I hope I don't come accross as being a category A jerk... it's just a possibility...)

Hey, don't look at me, man! I got my NMH and Zack & Wiki already, and I bought them new. I'm trying to find just-launched games like Mushroom Men, Dokapon Kingdom, Soul Bubbles, Ninjatown, and Ecclesia and I want to buy them but I can't buy what isn't there. I get what you're saying, but why should games be out of stock a year later, completely unobtainable? It sucks, especially on the Wii because there are more people who are only just getting started every month with the Wii than on the other consoles. But if you're going to lay the blame on someone, surely the people who actually do end up buying the retail game - even if they wait, making sales so bad that it necessitates a price drop - aren't the most blameworthy. I'm thinking of the people who don't buy it at all. The people who rent games or buy second-hand (that includes buying used copies at GameStop and buying off Ebay) do not contribute to the sales numbers despite having played the game, and thus the game suffers lacklustre sales and goes out of print sooner, making it harder to find for everyone, and increasing the risk that the developer might have to undergo job layoffs.
AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts
I do most of my game shopping online, so I don't really notice.
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts

[QUOTE="evrdayblues"]I might have an answer for this... Remember all those people that are asking for good 3rd party games and how when the "good 3rd party games" come out they don't buy them. Instead they just say that they will buy them when the price drops. If these are the same people that are having a hard time finding those very same games they tossed asside at launch then we have our answer. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone, however this is a trend that might explain why it is difficult to find good 3rd party games in stock. Why would GameStop have X game in stock, 2 years later, if nobody bought it at launch? (I hope I don't come accross as being a category A jerk... it's just a possibility...)clicketyclick
Hey, don't look at me, man! I got my NMH and Zack & Wiki already, and I bought them new. I'm trying to find just-launched games like Mushroom Men, Dokapon Kingdom, Soul Bubbles, Ninjatown, and Ecclesia and I want to buy them but I can't buy what isn't there. I get what you're saying, but why should games be out of stock a year later, completely unobtainable? It sucks, especially on the Wii because there are more people who are only just getting started every month with the Wii than on the other consoles. But if you're going to lay the blame on someone, surely the people who actually do end up buying the retail game - even if they wait, making sales so bad that it necessitates a price drop - aren't the most blameworthy. I'm thinking of the people who don't buy it at all. The people who rent games or buy second-hand (that includes buying used copies at GameStop and buying off Ebay) do not contribute to the sales numbers despite having played the game, and thus the game suffers lacklustre sales and goes out of print sooner, making it harder to find for everyone, and increasing the risk that the developer might have to undergo job layoffs.

Hehe :P , I was not blaming you man, I am aware that you are a supporter of 3rd party games.

I merely tryed to come up with an answer to the problem at hand without really giving it much thought.

You know sometimes GameStop and the like have less of each new release in stock than big chains like Future Shop, for example. Did you try Amazon.ca? If all of those alteratives failled then there must be an actual problem here...Are publishers giving up on their games faster than they should!?

All I can really say is keep on searching, I guess. Surely you'll find those games.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

[QUOTE="Skie7"]Well, Soul Bubbles is a Toys R Us exclusive so you're only going to find it there.clicketyclick

Are you sure about that? Well no matter, because I've looked there too and can't find it.

Yep. "Soul Bubbles has been available for a month as a regular release in Europe, but for US gamers it's only available as an exclusive at Toys 'R Us." If you want to buy it online.