GDC WII SPORE DEVELOPER *MUST REAd*

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saiyan-kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 saiyan-kratos
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts

read ALL of it

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/771/771051p1.html

saiyan-kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 saiyan-kratos
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts
your thoughts?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

read ALL of it

saiyan-kratos
Wow I've been saying this for a year (as an observation not a rant) and I only get flamed. Its an enhanced Gamecube. It pushes the experience not the games, thats why we got a Wii in the first place.
hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
Well that was pointless....yes we know the hardware doesn't come remotely close to stacking up with the 360 and ps3....
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts
Honestly, who cares what he says? I'm by no means a Nintendo fan boy and I am actually planning to buy a 360 in the next month or so (and maybe a PS3 someday if only to play MGS4). However, I love my Wii. It's a great system and it pulled me back into games (I think over the 2 years before the Wii came out I played a total of 6 games). So one developer (I'm sure there are others like him)doesn't like the system. There are many out there who love it and will produce great games for it.

All this is is fodder for the cows.

lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
Hmmm....he seems angry. But what he said really can't be denied.
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
I laugh at his comments about Nintendo not being serious at art.

Yet they make some of the best series known to the public.  If anything out of the three, Nintendo is the most serious at art.  Both Sony and MS has almost no 1st party games.
landedeagle365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 landedeagle365
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts
What games has Spore produced? Out of curiousity...
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tomarlyn

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

weazur
He's talking mainly about processing not graphics. The game he's working on isn't even about graphics.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
Well I'm not buying spore now.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
I love where he says "Nintendo only focuses on making games that are FUN..." Isn't that the point of videogames...TO HAVE FUN!?! I'll take fun over artistic any day.
psybrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 psybrid
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
What games has Spore produced? Out of curiousity...johnson071185
Spore is the name of the game, not the company. If you read the article you'd realize it's being produced by Maxis (which is now owned by EA I believe).

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

weazur
Thanks for repeating the graphics vs gameplay stereotypes. He's a developer letting out his frustrations, maybe he's a bit harsh but he did have a good point. I'm glad you conveniently overlooked his concerns about AI.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
He's probably just a fanboy or a graphics whore. Its true that the Wii is kind of an improved Gamecube, tough, but who cares ? GC owns.
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
Well I'm not buying spore now.shockwave04

Just because some random dev on the team hates on the Wii? 

I'm buying spore because it looks awesome.  And Will Wright created it. :)
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
This a-hole is nothing but a bloody attention whore. Go look at his earlier rants for precisely the OPPOSITE arguments, about how he wants more low-cost indie games and such. He's never finished a game in his life. Spore will probably be the first, but he's nothing but a code-jockey, not a game designer.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

I love where he says "Nintendo only focuses on making games that are FUN..." Isn't that the point of videogames...TO HAVE FUN!?! I'll take fun over artistic any day.roboccs

:P Yeah, I noticed that too.

mattyftm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattyftm
Member since 2005 • 7306 Posts
wow, that guy realy need to calm down. i dont get this thing about games as an art form anyway. i'd much rather have a fun game thats a rubish pice of art than a boring game thats a great pice of art. as for the technical downfalls, we all allready knew that.
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
[QUOTE="johnson071185"]What games has Spore produced? Out of curiousity...psybrid
Spore is the name of the game, not the company. If you read the article you'd realize it's being produced by Maxis (which is now owned by EA I believe).

The guy who said it (Chris Hecker) hasnt released a single game so far. Which is kinda funny.

But this guy is just trying to get some attention. And I dont really care about his opinion. It doesnt change the fun I have with my Wii.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
lol, he was only one person and I completely disagree with him. I know the Wii can certainly have good graphics and Nintendo is all about having fun. Not taking games seriously. If you own Xbox or Xbox360 you'll know that poeple take thoes games WAY WAY WAY to freakin seriously and always argue and get into fights. It's really inmature. I'm not saying Xbox owners are inmature, I just believe there are some jerks on there who are sore losers. I have a lot friends who have Xbox and they are all very nice but i just cant stand some people on live.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="roboccs"]I love where he says "Nintendo only focuses on making games that are FUN..." Isn't that the point of videogames...TO HAVE FUN!?! I'll take fun over artistic any day.NWA_31

:P Yeah, I noticed that too.

You don't play games like Spore or even Tetris because its fun, you play because it makes you think and be in control. You play things like Warioware and Wii Sports for fun. Well thats me anyway :P
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

weazur
no hes not because last year he complained about the fact the MS and PC where making graphical monsters. thought i'm sad that Ninty didnt put in a physX chip it would fit their image of game play > graphics and would mean that the prossor could do more AI caluclations.
Stevendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Stevendawg
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

Meh...  I'll probobly get it on the PC now

Just cause

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="weazur"]

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

Lanfeix
no hes not because last year he complained about the fact the MS and PC where making graphical monsters. thought i'm sad that Ninty didnt put in a physX chip it would fit their image of game play > graphics and would mean that the prossor could do more AI caluclations.

That makes him a hypocrite.
LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LuIsSiUl
Member since 2004 • 1935 Posts

read ALL of it

saiyan-kratos
Who cares what a dum snob guy cares, just because this spore developer whatever, in other words this little nobody, insults the wii because it doesn't satisfy him. If you like the wii well good for you, and if you don't well good for you nobody cares. Besides the language that whoever-the-hell-he-was used was so unprofessional, no wonder why he is a nobody. Maybe he will even get fired.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
the whole thing was during a rant session; its not like the guy called a press conference to share his feelings on the wii. ie, it was a speech to other developers that was supposed to be funny. Like others have said, he did the same thing to the other consoles
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Lanfeix"][QUOTE="weazur"]

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

magus-21

That makes him a hypocrite.

No it doesn't because of the gap.
phazdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 phazdragon
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts
.... What a $%£
styphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 styphin
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts
Well, that's his opinion, but in MY opinion, someone who really believes in the profession of programming video games does not complain and whine about the processing power of the system they're working on, but instead should enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best way to optimize the power the said system has. I think he sees the GDC as an opportunity to be seen and to be percieved as a credible programmer, but someone who uses lines like "The Wii is a piece of s***!" should not be taken seriously nor credible. I think he handled that very, very poorly, and I hope he reads this.
Avatar image for brightshadow525
brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 brightshadow525
Member since 2006 • 1149 Posts
This guy really wants some attention...
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
The developer reminds me of this picture. 
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

"It's not clear to me that Nintendo gives a **** about games as an art form," he said. To illustrate his point, he searched for references to games as art on all three console manufacturers web sites. While he found numerous such references on both the official PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sites, Wii.com had none at all. He then shared quotes from executives at Sony and Microsoft talking about games as a serious artistic medium, and then a quote from a Nintendo executive saying the company only wanted to make "fun" games.

If that doesn't break your heart, you should quit gaming.

LightThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LightThief
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

Meh... I'll probobly get it on the PC now

Just cause

Stevendawg
I don't think spore is coming out for the wii... It's coming out for the DS. He's just ranting because he's pissed.
MF_D3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MF_D3f
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"]This a-hole is nothing but a bloody attention whore. Go look at his earlier rants for precisely the OPPOSITE arguments, about how he wants more low-cost indie games and such. He's never finished a game in his life. Spore will probably be the first, but he's nothing but a code-jockey, not a game designer.

Could you post them here please ?
mtlgearzld2727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mtlgearzld2727
Member since 2003 • 393 Posts
what would u rather have a game system thats all artsy or a game system that entertains you in a fun way........... last time i checked video games were suppose to be fun, sure they can be artsy but, fun is the main goal of video games right? see the PS3 is living proof that a game system can be artsy and mystique and appeal to stupid yuppy types but its not gunna sell well kus the games are not fun, sure there fun to look at but play........... sorry sony u messed up with the ps3 accept it and try and fix it. im not a fan boy i plan on buying a 360 and have a wii a psp and a ps2 but will never buy a ps3 unless the games get fun and the price goes down and a message to the gaming industry its not THAT important how games look its more important on how fun they play
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
well.... i kinda enjoy it...
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="mtlgearzld2727"]what would u rather have a game system thats all artsy or a game system that entertains you in a fun way........... last time i checked video games were suppose to be fun, sure they can be artsy but, fun is the main goal of video games right? see the PS3 is living proof that a game system can be artsy and mystique and appeal to stupid yuppy types but its not gunna sell well kus the games are not fun, sure there fun to look at but play........... sorry sony u messed up with the ps3 accept it and try and fix it. im not a fan boy i plan on buying a 360 and have a wii a psp and a ps2 but will never buy a ps3 unless the games get fun and the price goes down and a message to the gaming industry its not THAT important how games look its more important on how fun they play

Spore is all about innovation and depth not graphics though.
MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MronoC
Member since 2005 • 4113 Posts
wtf!?  forcing developers to think outside of the box doesn't push video games as an art form?
Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
If a game is "nothing but art" than the game would be like going to a museum. BOARING! if a game is "Nothing but fun" Then that is just it. its frickin FUN! i dont give a damm how the graphics are. that is what i have a computer for. wii is also EXTREAMLY capible of producing nex gen graphics as seen in the mario 128 or whatever it is called now trailer and also i thought that metroid loked vary compairible to some of the 1st 360 games. i wish i could have said what is in quotes to that guys face and it is ovious to me that he shouldnt be a game developer at all if he thinks that games shouldnt be "nothing but fun" gotta love how people dont think befor they rant about wii....
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shirley_Temple

If a game is "nothing but art" than the game would be like going to a museum. BOARING! if a game is "Nothing but fun" Then that is just it. its frickin FUN! i dont give a damm how the graphics are. that is what i have a computer for. wii is also EXTREAMLY capible of producing nex gen graphics as seen in the mario 128 or whatever it is called now trailer and also i thought that metroid loked vary compairible to some of the 1st 360 games. i wish i could have said what is in quotes to that guys face and it is ovious to me that he shouldnt be a game developer at all if he thinks that games shouldnt be "nothing but fun" gotta love how people dont think befor they rant about wii....mariomusicmaker

You could stand to make a trip to a museum.  Its spelled Boring.  And Extremely. and Capable...etc.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
[QUOTE="weazur"]

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

Lanfeix

Sonic:Wildfire has the physX technology right on the box, proving that the Wii CAN generate physX-type gameplay with compotent developers---PWNED

Also, calling Zelda:TP, Elebits, and COD3 non-artsy games is really a deterrent to his understanding on where graphics meet gameplay.  If a game has the correct amount of reality and anti-reality incorporated onscreen, then it is considered artsy (as it suspends user belief while presenting a whole new world).  I would like a list of his requirements to be "artsy," and it better not just be "looks like Okami."
Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
making a post just to correct some ones spelling... isn't that kinda against some sort of rule? IN ADDITION What is Spore? is at an upcoming game? or one i just have not herd of yet and is already out?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Lanfeix"][QUOTE="weazur"]

hes a graphics whore

end of statement

SirSpudly

Sonic:Wildfire has the physX technology right on the box, proving that the Wii CAN generate physX-type gameplay with compotent developers---PWNED

Also, calling Zelda:TP, Elebits, and COD3 non-artsy games is really a deterrent to his understanding on where graphics meet gameplay. If a game has the correct amount of reality and anti-reality incorporated onscreen, then it is considered artsy (as it suspends user belief while presenting a whole new world). I would like a list of his requirements to be "artsy," and it better not just be "looks like Okami."

From what I've read it has the Physx firmware but not the PPU. Which makes it emulated.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shirley_Temple

making a post just to correct some ones spelling... isn't that kinda against some sort of rule? IN ADDITION What is Spore? is at an upcoming game? or one i just have not herd of yet and is already out?mariomusicmaker

I was making a point....sadly it flew over your head :|.  Also your not knowing what Spore is, considering its likely to be the game of the century, is sad as well.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
He's not the only person in the world to not like the Wiii and he wont be the last, but I have to disagree with him on a few things the Wiii is very much capable of pushing games and the gamer iin ways that the 360 and PS3 can't come close to. I am interested in seeing what EA does about this as buisnesses usuallly dont like thier emploiyees pissing off a source of revenue.