Game Cost...$$$!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

strangeseraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 strangeseraph
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts

My heart almost dropped when I saw how much pre-ordering two games for 3DS would cost me. I spent the money, bitterly, because I WANT them, but a nearly $100 (CAN) bill for only two games? >__< I don't forsee me buying many 3DS games this year if that's how much its going to cost me.

This will be the year of playing used DS games I haven't tried I guess.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Yeah, too much for me, though I'm sure a lot of them are worth it. One thing I've liked about DS games is that despite the games being very high quality games, they're also very cheap. 3DS games costs as much as PSP games at the moment (though some new release PSP game prices are dropping to $30 now). I'm sure the prices will drop over time for 3DS games, too. And you could always just wait until you can buy them used instead.

Rennar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rennar
Member since 2007 • 526 Posts

they cost the same as PSP games....(or at least the do in the U.S.)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
I don't see the big deal about prices. 3DS games approach consoles in terms of quality and content, so I don't mind paying a little more for them. I still don't know where people have gotten this idea that portable equals cheap.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dzimm

They didn't say the games weren't worth it, they said it's too expensive...MichBelle

Welcome to the gaming hobby.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dzimm
I'm not being rude. You're being overly sensitive.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

Just my opinion, but I don't think he's being rude. Hobbies are expensive, video games are no exception. The games are only 5 bucks more than previous new DS games (not sure about Canada, but here in the US anyway). I actually remember paying 40 bucks for a few DS games (1st party games if I remember right).

If you can't afford them, yes, that sucks the big one. You need to either plan what you buy carefully (so you don't get a crappy game you end up not liking and are stuck with it), start buying pre-owned, use gamefly, or find a way to make more money. Or, you know, wait a year before buying a brand new system. The $5 price jump represents both inflation and better quality, both are part of life... if you want something better than what came before, you're going to be paying more most likely. You just have to figure out how to make it work for you.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="MichBelle"]They didn't say the games weren't worth it, they said it's too expensive...dzimm

Gaming doesn't have to be expensive.
xMarex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xMarex
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts
If the price is a problem, then do what Dust says and wait a year, or buy pre-owned. I haven't bought any new games for my Xbox that were over 20 bucks (Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space, The Orange Box) because I waited before buying them. All my other games are pre-owned. People think I spend hundreds of dollars on games, but I don't. Rather than spending 60 on Halo 3 when it released, I bought it a month or two ago pre-owned for 15. It's always been this way, and always will be.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
If you only buy top shelf must haves that you enjoy and not just get anything then the price will be worth it.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
If the price is a problem, then do what Dust says and wait a year, or buy pre-owned. I haven't bought any new games for my Xbox that were over 20 bucks (Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space, The Orange Box) because I waited before buying them. All my other games are pre-owned. People think I spend hundreds of dollars on games, but I don't. Rather than spending 60 on Halo 3 when it released, I bought it a month or two ago pre-owned for 15. It's always been this way, and always will be.xMarex
I second this. It just depends on how patient you are or how much you're willing to spend. No one said you have to buy it on day 1. I just picked up Gears of War 1 and 2 for 7 bucks each last week. I just didn't care to pick up on day 1.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Paying 40 for agame like Zelda, Professor Layton, or Street Fighter is a bargin. While paying that for some games is a total rip off. Just buy what you can afford/want.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

Paying 40 for agame like Zelda, Professor Layton, or Street Fighter is a bargin. While paying that for some games is a total rip off. Just buy what you can afford/want.

LaytonsCat
No offense but not everyone likes Zelda, Professor Layton, and/or Street Fighter. Putting a price on something is your own judgement.
SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts
Think of it this way.. The 3DS cost $250 us .. So paying 30-50 per game is normal by gaming standards atm for this system. One thing about nintendo is that they like to spring new systems on us fast (within a year or so of just releasing something). So like others have said if you think it is too pricey atm then just wait a bit and the prices should drop.. Lmao the way nintendo is watch by Xmas them announce a 3DS Lite or something anyways. However I do see your point, Paying 30-50 for a game is a bit pricey when there is a chance that you may not like the game and or the game ends up sucking. Your best bet is to get a game you know for a fact you like now , and then wait till prices drop and then get games your not sure of.. or there is always places you can rent a game and try it out first. and dont mind my spelling, I am the worlds worst speller :P
gomakyle25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gomakyle25
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

gokuofheaven

No offense but not everyone likes Zelda, Professor Layton, and/or Street Fighter. Putting a price on something is your own judgement.

Valid point.. IMO, Zelda will be worth it, but Prof. Layton and Street Fighter won't be. Just like how people love Black Ops, I despise it, wouldn't buy it for 5$. But thats just me. Usually games you want are worth the price, unless you don't like it. If you like it and wanted it, then there you go, it was worth the price.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dzimm

[QUOTE="dzimm"]

[QUOTE="MichBelle"]They didn't say the games weren't worth it, they said it's too expensive...forgot_it

Gaming doesn't have to be expensive.

You're right, it doesn't have to be. For example, I picked up two used Gamecube games yesterday for $10 each, and GOG.com sells hundreds of DRM-free PC games for $10 and less, so if you stay at least one generation behind then it's certainly possible to game on a budget. However, it makes little sense to buy the latest and greatest console and then complain about full-priced games.