DSi now, or DSi XL later?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for dark_city_light
dark_city_light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dark_city_light
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

So I've been thinking about getting a DSi and then I hear that the XL is coming out in 2010, around the first quarter I think. So should I wait for the newer one or stop my suffering of wanting to play all the games I've been dying to play, and just get a DSi now? I've asked several friends and they basically said that the size of the screens aren't really going to change gameplay because I'll be absorbed into whatever I'm doing. Thanks for your help. Oh, and I hope this is in the right area, I haven't posted much.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I truly doubt the new XL is coming out any time soon here in the US.

So if you are from here I recommend: 1. Buying a new DSi if your old one is busted or damaged or you don't have a DS and are looking for a good system. 2. If you already have a lite, and it works fine, you might want to wait a bit.

As my DOD used to say, "don't buy anything the first year it comes out as that is when they find all the bugs!"

xXDante666Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xXDante666Xx
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

Personally, The extra bulk doesn't impress me. It is a fat version of my DSi that I have. I love my DSi Blue. I would recommend it to anybody.

dark_city_light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dark_city_light

I'll probably just go ahead and buy a DSi then. Though, I'm not too impressed with the colors options, but thats cause I'm picky ;D but thanks again for your help.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I'll probably just go ahead and buy a DSi then. Though, I'm not too impressed with the colors options, but thats cause I'm picky ;D but thanks again for your help.

dark_city_light
IMO you should wait, if you can. the screens are much bigger i think, I would wait if i could.
dark_city_light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dark_city_light

[QUOTE="dark_city_light"]

hydralisk86

IMO you should wait, if you can. the screens are much bigger i think, I would wait if i could.

Asking me to wait is like asking me not to eat cookies. The DSi screens are a good size anyways. But then again it all comes up to me doesn't it?

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="dark_city_light"]

Asking me to wait is like asking me not to eat cookies. The DSi screens are a good size anyways. But then again it all comes up to me doesn't it?

Not like I can force you to wait, or something. But I understand it's a long time waiting. I guess it might be a hard decision to make. Bigger screens, or getting the dsi quick.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Dude get the DSi

Why would you want a bigger PORTABLE system?

The dsi is better, and you can get it right now.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#9 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Yeah, it's really your choice. Neither one of them has any exclusive things that the other doesn't. You just have to choose between having the bigger screens and waiting, or having it now but sticking with the smaller screens.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#10 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
You were correct that the U.S. is supposed to get it in the first quarter of 2010. Not only does the XL have bigger screens but it is supposed to have an hour or two extra battery life over the DSi. It will also have that larger stylus. On the down side, it could very well be even more expensive than the DSi currently is. I love my DSi but if I didn't already have one, I'd personally wait for the XL next year.
DSgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 DSgurl
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts
Get the DSi now unless you have a very compelling reason to buy the XL. Does the size really matter to you? The DSi is great as is.
virus1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 virus1000
Member since 2009 • 10187 Posts

Looks like you dont own DS lite or the original DS so I think you should get DSi :)

izdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 izdan
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

id just get a regualr dsi

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Don't see why you'd get an XL... Takes up more pocket space, and games will look more pixelated. It really only enhances text reading
xXvenom5150Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xXvenom5150Xx
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

I would wait cause this is probably what im doing. I have a working DS now so I'll be fine. An extra inch on the screen is awesome IMO. To the person who asked who wanted a bigger handheld, I do. I play my DS at home most of the time anyway just like other consoles.

MichIrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MichIrish
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts
I'm not going to wait. I'm 20, I don't have that much trouble with my eyes! I am going to wait until December, though, just in case they release a surprise color of the DSi. I would die for a yellow or orange one.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
It depends whether or not you want the big screens or not.
mangocrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 mangocrazy
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts

Whether or not Nintendo does release the DSi XL in the near future, The gameplay will still be the same. Yeah there will be a bit longer of battery life and bigger stylus and bigger screen, all in all the game play is not going to change. So, would you rather wait and wait, or get the DSi now, and you can start playing the games you been dying to play.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
depends on what do you prefer: a small DSi that you can carry in your pocket, or something more like a "mini-home-console", in case you'll only play it at home? i myself prefer the regular DSi because i wanna trade my DS phat for something smaller, so i can carry it around more easily, but if you're only going to play it at home mostly, the size of the XL shouldnt be a problem.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
DSi. Why would you want a huge portable system? The thing looks uncomfortable to hold. XL seems like a huge waste to me, so just enjoy the DSi.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
Even if they were both out right now, I would still get the smaller one. I don't really fancy enormous handhelds.
LethalEu4ia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LethalEu4ia
Member since 2009 • 314 Posts

Do you have vision problems?

If yes, wait for the XL. If no, get the DSi.

benk168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 benk168
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'd go Lite just because you can still play GBA games on it, which is my main problem with the DSi, but then again I'm playing a big 'ol clunky grey DS that is older than sin :p

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
get the dsi, the xl is for people with bad eyesights
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
get the dsi, the xl is for people with bad eyesightsFILIPINOMAZTER
or people who only play at home and would rather have bigger screens than portability that wont be used.
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts

I only recently found out about the DSi XL scheduled to come out in the first quarter of next year. I'm not yet sure if I should get a DSi now or wait for the DSi XL a little later.

Evan_deck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Evan_deck
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If you already have the DSi don't get the XL unless if it will have something the DSi doesn't have. If you don't have a DSi now wait to get the XL.
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
your choice.. if you want the extra weight and screen size, wait for XL.. they're practically the same... for me, i'll wait for Nintendo to release a green shade that i like.. or another crimson/black (but i doubt this will work with matte finish)....
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SiK99

Some pics to help you decide: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20091121_330807.html

ResZeR0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 ResZeR0
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

I don't see the point to have a larger portable system....

Smaller is better, it will more than likely be more money too.

Get the current DSi

Chubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chubah

hydralisk86

Much bigger screens, but the same resolution? Oh, god I can only imagine the size of the pixels...

Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts

Since I can't afford to get a DSi at the moment, I can wait until the XL model comes out, which I think is the model I will be more happy with in the long run.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Get the regular DSi now.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
*dancing* i just got my DSi :D:D:D
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
DSi now.
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
Seriously, what's the difference? They're both pretty big, just go with what you want: More picture, or more portability? This is the real question.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BrunoBRS
Seriously, what's the difference? They're both pretty big, just go with what you want: More picture, or more portability? This is the real question.Pyro767
the DSi actually fits my pocket. i'm loving it :D so no, "they're both pretty big" is not a valid argument. the XL is obviously way bigger and designed to be used at home.
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SiK99

so no, "they're both pretty big" is not a valid argument. the XL is obviously way bigger and designed to be used at home.BrunoBRS

What are you talking about, BrunoBuuuuuuurrrrrs? The DSi XL is totally a portable system. It even fits in a pocket!

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#39 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

*dancing* i just got my DSi :D:D:DBrunoBRS

Welcome to the DSi-party, Bruno! :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrunoBRS
@sik99 - :lol::lol: @luigi - thanks :D i still have to get some DSiWare games, though >.>
VileVigilanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VileVigilanti
Member since 2009 • 149 Posts

So I've been thinking about getting a DSi and then I hear that the XL is coming out in 2010, around the first quarter I think. So should I wait for the newer one or stop my suffering of wanting to play all the games I've been dying to play, and just get a DSi now? I've asked several friends and they basically said that the size of the screens aren't really going to change gameplay because I'll be absorbed into whatever I'm doing. Thanks for your help. Oh, and I hope this is in the right area, I haven't posted much.

dark_city_light

what's the point of getting an XL when there's probably no difference during gameplay?it's a waste of hard earned car wash money!

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts
Wow thanks for this, I'm now going to buy my brother a PSP for christmas and upgrade his ds phat to a dsi XL next year!
aekforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 aekforever

I don't know which to choose as well. Really the XL looks like a brick, and it reminds me of the Xbox 360 power brick i have in my room, and i don't want another! The big screens haven't impressed me, and they don't matter much. Remember the GBC or the original Game Boy, they didn't need big screens to be popular and have fun, the GBA SP screen is big enough for me, and considering the DSi screen is bigger, it should be fine. And besides the DSi XL is 300g, i have a psp slim which weights 200g and it's heavy enough, and the screen, it didn't need to be this big. Anyway have you seen any pictures of the DSi XL, it doesn't look too ergonomic. The DSi reminds me of the good old days of GBA, GBC and GB, in size and style, and i want to relive those glorious days again with the Nintendo DSi. So for me it's between the DSi and DS Lite, but i think i'll get thr DSi.

Hope i helped you.

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
im waiting for the xL i usually only play my ds at home any way.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]get the dsi, the xl is for people with bad eyesightsBrunoBRS
or people who only play at home and would rather have bigger screens than portability that wont be used.

Exactly
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#46 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Get a DSi. The XL is meant for arthritic hands and ancient eyes, kind of like those telephones with the massive buttons so the elderly can see them and press them without hitting adjacent ones. It also costs more and is nearly the size of a netbook.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hydralisk86
Don't see why you'd get an XL... Takes up more pocket space, and games will look more pixelated. It really only enhances text readingistuffedsunny
I think i heard something different, that not all games are pixelated. Like another poster said, more battery life and bigger stylus. IMO I would wait for the DSi XL, it's so worth it for the bigger screens. The reviewer said that after playing the XL, you won't like the "stamp-sized" screens of the first DSi. XL ftw.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]get the dsi, the xl is for people with bad eyesightsTriniPlayer

Exactly

I'm in the same situation. I rarely took my dsi out at school or at the bus. So if I didn't have the first DSi, I would get the XL one.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="TriniPlayer"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] or people who only play at home and would rather have bigger screens than portability that wont be used.hydralisk86
Exactly

I'm in the same situation. I rarely took my dsi out at school or at the bus. So if I didn't have the first DSi, I would get the XL one.

And i thought i was the only one who was planning to get it on here,getting it for the bigger screens also.
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="TriniPlayer"] ExactlyTriniPlayer

And i thought i was the only one who was planning to get it on here,getting it for the bigger screens also.

im planning on getting it cause i skipped out on dsi.

also i heard it wasnt pixelated either , kotaku did a review of it and they said the screens were gorgious and not blown up graphics.