DS lite vs DSi vs DSi XL- Comparison thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

atomic_purple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 atomic_purple
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
can you get on the internet and dsi shop with wi-fi or do you need a wireless connection only?
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#252 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
can you get on the internet and dsi shop with wi-fi or do you need a wireless connection only?atomic_purple
They're both the same thing.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 riariases

i always find it odd when gamers choose to kept the capability to play old games, for consoles that have nothing good coming out on them anymore, even though it had great games, why choose to keep the dead console and not the new one? i mean new games at least are new and have the potential to be great

BTW, DSi ware has just as many A, AA games this year as the Sony Playstation Portable. So people, stop acting like DSiware has nothing.Its 100 days old, so what if nothing appeals to you yet? the fact that critics are loving it says it will continue to get good games

darth-pyschosis

The problem is it should have had all those good games at the release-day not a year after release.

The big scare with the DSiWare store is that it has so far been exactly like the Wiiware which has admittedly a couple of great games but the far majority plain sucks. The Dsiware store is THE reason to buy a DSi if you already have a DSL. So far the DSiware has been a disapointment. It would have been like buying a Wii for Wiiware and nothing else.

You can mention excuses like "It's only 100 days old" if you want but that won't chance the fact that right now so far it's been a disapointment. This might chance in the future but it might also stay the same. We don't know how the DSiWare will look like in a year. It could be filled with great games or it could be even more barren than it is now. Saying stuff like "this will chance" or "give it time" is just as pointless like all PSP and PS3 owners that claims they will rise up and kill all competition you just wait.

Theres a big difference between the PS Store and the DSi Shop. The DSi Shop only has originals while the PS Store has a ton of PS1 and PSP games with originals making up a small percentage of their store. So basically you're facing the library of PS1 and PSP games against a couple of original DSi Ware games and still it comes up even. Looks sad when you say it that way, eh?

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 riariases
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

I had a DSi for about a month, and I didn't like it at all. There were just so many problems that ticked me off about it that I ended up selling it on ebay to buy a DS lite again. Among the many issues I had with the system were:

Price is not worth it considering all you're really getting is two cheap cameras and a little flash memory

Awful battery life compared to DS lite (seemed about half as long on my favorite setting)

Actually bigger in some respects than the DS lite Lack of GBA compatibility (big mistake to remove it just to shave off a few millimeters in thickness)

Lame cameras with so far no useful purpose (and playing games with them seemed like even more of a headache: See Warioware snapped)

Awful selection of DSiware and Nintendo has no intention of releasing old GB GBC, and GBA games for virtual handheld

Moving the power button to such a bad spot caused be to accidentally power off the system on more than one occasion

Music playback is a joke and is restricted to ONE frustrating format Plans to release DSi exclusive games will neglect the larger demographics of gamers who already have DS lites

Screen size makes welcome menu look extra pixelated and stretched (not unlike how GBC games looked on GBA)

Web browser is slow and eats battery like crazy (and doesn't support flash so no youtube)

Buttons feel different and weird compared to previous systems

And the list goes on and on

All in all, DSi was the first handheld system from Nintendo to REALLY disappoint me. DS lite is beter in almost every respect, and no self respecting Nintendo fan should waste their hard earned money on an inferior system that actually costs more and underperforms compared to the near perfect DS lite.

Okay, lets see... The cameras are pretty good quality, its just that you can't blow the image up(stretch it) with out it looking blurry. The battery life is lowered by about 2-4 hours which means if you keep it on the 3rd or 4th light setting, which is more than enough, then you would have to play it for 12 hours for it to die, and I doubt you play DSi 12 hours a day... or atleast I hope not. Solution: Plug it in at night. Its not as think which means it stays flat a bit more, but while its a bit longer it means it'll just stick out of your pocket a bit more. But if you play your DSi 12 hours a day(which you hinted at) then you must be a huge gaming geek, which means you don't care about spending money on clothes as much as games, which would hint you're unfashionable which also means you probably have crappy unstylish jeans with big pockets. As I was saying, thats only what I would think if you played DSi 12 hours a day, and if you don't then battery life isn't a problem for you. Hey, the DSi's cameras are great. I can upload photos to facebook on the go without it costing money because of using my cell phone. And plus the editing - if you know how to use it - can be sweet for adding effects or making photos look pretty cool. Well I can't really argue too much there. It is crap, depending on who you are, and for me it is. But new things are coming and some of the stuff on there are pretty sweet. And you never know, old GB, GBC and GBA games may come. Your hand must be swollen like one mother *bleeeep* to be hitting that power button. Seriously, my hand doesn't come anywhere near it. The reason its in AAC format(MP4) only is because AAC can be broken down, which is why the DSi can play around with music. And when you're in a band and you're trying to play a cover, this can be REALLY useful. Not to mention the voice recording is great to jot down a beat you thought of on the go, if you write song. No, not really. It actually looks pretty smooth but hey, everyone has their own preferences. By the way, the screen size has been barely adjusted, so the pizel ratio is still 0.3 because of the infinitelly small difference. Tell me one mobile web browser that doesn't drain the devices battery life and get ready be called a liar in seven different languages. And either way, this is the best mobile browser i've ever used that takes up so little battery life, and functionality is almost as good as my iPod Touch's browser, which I use over my PC for browsing whenever I feel like checking my facebook or e-mail, or even searching up a quick fact on google. I dunno, I liked them better. They're a lot easier to press down and more spread out so you don't accidentally press another button while aiming for Y(just an example). When I would play Jam Sessions on my DS Lite, I would try and press up and right at the same time for instance and I would have to move my thumb in a very uncomfortable position while jamming hard to make sure I got them both. It goes on? Well I'd like to hear some of that.
InsertWittyID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#255 InsertWittyID
Member since 2008 • 219 Posts

So I have an original launch DS and have been considering updating as of late. I was wondering if it was worth it to spend the extra money to get the DSi, or if I should just go with the DS lite.

buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 buwiset
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

If you don't mind losing the GBA-slot then yes, the DSiware library is improving plus you'll be able to play DSi-only games, sure there're only 2 DSi-only games announced as of now and they don't look promising but I think the DSi-only games library will improve as time goes(just like the DSiware).

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#257 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

DSI simply isn't worth it to me since my DSL works just fine. The idea of DSI exclusives kinda ticks me off but what can ya do. I'm not gonna pay 170 bucks for a minor upgrade on something that's still working fine.

Chubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Chubah

Why are people still buying the old DS lite? Unless I am mistaken the DSi offers bigger screens, camera, browser, downloads and better hardware. Unless you can't actually afford the extra 50$, is there really a point?

InsertWittyID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#259 InsertWittyID
Member since 2008 • 219 Posts

Why are people still buying the old DS lite? Unless I am mistaken the DSi offers bigger screens, camera, browser, downloads and better hardware. Unless you can't actually afford the extra 50$, is there really a point?

Chubah

The screens would hardly make a difference in my opinion, and the cameras are really low resolution. I have a web browser on my iPod touch that's probably faster plus has a bunch of mobile/iPhone sites specifically designed for it, making them actually readable. I haven't seen one DSiWare game that looks worth my money and what good is better hardware if it plays the same games. I would not say that those "features" are worth 50$.

buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 buwiset

[QUOTE="Chubah"]

InsertWittyID

The screens would hardly make a difference in my opinion, and the cameras are really low resolution. I have a web browser on my iPod touch that's probably faster plus has a bunch of mobile/iPhone sites specifically designed for it, making them actually readable. I haven't seen one DSiWare game that looks worth my money and what good is better hardware if it plays the same games. I would not say that those "features" are worth 50$.

The cameras of the DSi are meant for games and something extra to play with, it's not meant to replace your dedicated camera or your camera phone. I have a 12megapixel camera and my phone also has a 5megapixel cam but I still bought a DSi, I only use the DSi cameras for playing with pictures when I'm with my girlfriend. Also, DSiwares are actually starting to get better, the browser is nothing special but it's definitely an upgrade from the DS lite's(plus it's free to download), it's not something you want to use as your main browser but it definitely is usable(and "readable"). The DSi plays the same games but it's also going to have it's own exclusive games in the future, sure the're only 2 games announced as of now and neither looks interesting(for me at least) but like the DSiware it will improved in time(maybe next year). I'm not saying the DSi is better than the DS lite(I still have mine btw) but the upgrade is definitely worth it(for me at least),

horn_stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 horn_stone
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

the wider dsi coming out soon , is it worth buying than the current dsi?

liamcoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 liamcoop
dsi is perfect if you dont have a camera, ipod, computer, or video camera or other handhelds i have 2 out of 5 so i am pretty content with a ds lite
buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 buwiset

horn_stone

The DSi and DSi XL have the same features, the only difference of DSi XL is it's bigger than than normal DSi. If you prefer bigger screen go for DSi XL. Personally I prefer the smaller DSi.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#264 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

[QUOTE="horn_stone"]

buwiset

The DSi and DSi XL have the same features, the only difference of DSi XL is it's bigger than than normal DSi. If you prefer bigger screen go for DSi XL. Personally I prefer the smaller DSi.

Same. Those huge screens look a little painful. [QUOTE="liamcoop"]dsi is perfect if you dont have a camera, ipod, computer, or video camera or other handhelds i have 2 out of 5 so i am pretty content with a ds lite

I have 4 out of those 5. DSi is still amazing. :)
fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 fail_baby
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts
[QUOTE="liamcoop"]dsi is perfect if you dont have a camera, ipod, computer, or video camera or other handhelds i have 2 out of 5 so i am pretty content with a ds lite

I have all 5 of those and there isn't a thing in the world you could do to get me to downgrade to a DS Lite. DSi or nothing.
McGPS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 McGPS3
Does the DS Lite have it's on Wi-Fi or do you need to be near one to use it? The product descriptions on various websites descrbe it as having it's own, while the DSi you need to be near a Wi-Fi connection. Im a mom, not too familiar with Nintendo tech, looking to get my 10 yr old her first DS (she has GBA right now), but not sure which is best. I've been around the net researching, but getting conflicting info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 buwiset

Both DS lite and DSi have built-in Wi-Fi and needs wi-fi connection(hotspot) to connect onlline. The only difference is the DS lite only supports WEP security while DSi supports WEP and WPA.

Sorry for my English, not my native dialect :P

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Yoweeh

Both DS lite and DSi have built-in Wi-Fi and needs wi-fi connection(hotspot) to connect onlline. The only difference is the DS lite only supports WEP security while DSi supports WEP and WPA.

buwiset
The WEP and WPA means it'll connect to different types of wi-fi; more kinds then the DSLite. But most current DS games don't support the new ones so it's not quite useful yet but it's a good thing to have in the future. And it (the DSi) also has parental security settings which might be a plus for you so your daughter doesn't play any gory games or anything.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="buwiset"]

Yoweeh

The WEP and WPA means it'll connect to different types of wi-fi; more kinds then the DSLite. But most current DS games don't support the new ones so it's not quite useful yet but it's a good thing to have in the future. And it (the DSi) also has parental security settings which might be a plus for you so your daughter doesn't play any gory games or anything.

The DS games won't support the new WiFi as it isn't in DSs

DSi only games will use the better wifi, as some DSiware titles already do

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I would say get a DS Lite, because there isn't much point in buying a DSi just yet for 16o dollars; when you could get a DS Lite for 120 dollars. It has a built in GBA port. The DSi only has a not too good camera and and 2 Wi-fi connections and a litle minigame shop.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Yoweeh

I would say get a DS Lite, because there isn't much point in buying a DSi just yet for 16o dollars; when you could get a DS Lite for 120 dollars. It has a built in GBA port. The DSi only has a not too good camera and and 2 Wi-fi connections and a litle minigame shop.

Calvin079
The kid wouldn't really care about GBA games since that's way behind thier generation. And she has a GBA she said so why...? It's only $40 more AND you get $10 back considering you get 1000 free Nintendo points. So what's $30? Who cares if the camera is good it's still a ton of fun to mess around with. :P
buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 buwiset

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Yoweeh

The kid wouldn't really care about GBA games since that's way behind thier generation. And she has a GBA she said so why...? It's only $40 more AND you get $10 back considering you get 1000 free Nintendo points. So what's $30? Who cares if the camera is good it's still a ton of fun to mess around with. :P

This. Plus developers are starting to make DSi-only retail games which are exclusive to DSi and DSi alone. Another FYI the built-in cameras of the DSi are not meant to replace your dedicated cameras, it's just something extra that you(and developers) can play around with.

steelhead2264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 steelhead2264
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

Hey guys, I want to get a DS but which one should i get? DS lite, DSI, or just wait for the new DS XL because they all look cool and all but freaking Nintendo had to make a new freaking upgrade every ****ing year so which one should i get? Thank you in advance

buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 buwiset

DSi and DSi XL are the same the only difference is the size, if you want a DSi with bigger screen wait for the DSi XL but if you prefer portability go for DSi. Don't get the DS lite specially if you don't care for GBA games because DSi-only(exclusive) retail games are starting to come out which you won't be able to play on the DS phat and DS lite, plus the DSiware titles are also improving. Again, if the size of the normal DSi is fine for you go for it, but if you want bigger screen wait for the DSi XL.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#275 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Phat- UUUUgly. weak hinges and weak backlight but cheapest

Lite- great backlight, slick, cheaper

DSi- bad camera, bigger screen that only stretches the image to make it look worse, must convert music format, no GBA compatibility wtf?

DSi XL- basically if you're an old person get this because the screen size is only going to make this look worse

Go for the Lite, it looks good and has the whole GBA library.

buwiset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 buwiset

DSi- bad camera, bigger screen that only stretches the image to make it look worse, must convert music format, no GBA compatibility wtf?

DSi XL- basically if you're an old person get this because the screen size is only going to make this look worse

2-10-08

The DSi cameras are not meant to replace your main camera it's for gaming and something extra you can play around with(like when I'm with my girlfriend). The screen doesn't look any worse, my girlfriend was actually envious of the screen she has a DS lite(soon to be DSi). Lastly FYI you can actually play GBA games on the DSi but that can't be discussed here.

fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 fail_baby
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts

2-10-08

The DSi camera's fine, the screen's only .25 in bigger and the change in form factor plays a part in making it look bigger (there is no noticeable difference in quality), AAC is a great format and is actually smaller in size than MP3 files at higher bit rates-higher quality, takes up less space, not many new comers use the GBA slot so it's been replaced by DSiWare (which has a good amount of titles worth buying). And you completely disregarded the new OS which is pretty epic- it's like a cross between the Wii's channel system and the PSP's XMB, you can return to it at any time, you don't have to power off the system to swap games, it's customizable, has parental controls, faster wifi connectivity, compatibility with all security encryptions, faster load times, and so on.

As for the DSi XL, I have no idea.

iceberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#278 iceberries
The great thing about the DSi is the camera, which you can use to upload pictures to the internet if you have a SD card in there. I really love the DSi, and I prefer it over DS Lite, but if you don't like the little features like editing your voice and having music, then it's not worth buying. Because if you just play the DS Lite, the screen is fine, you can only notice the difference after you play the DSi for a while.
Goods_Merchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Goods_Merchant
Member since 2009 • 953 Posts
I want a DSi for Christmas because my DS is busted
marioblaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 marioblaster64
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

I want a DSi for Christmas because my DS is bustedGoods_Merchant

Mine too! But I'm getting my DSi during Boxing Week. I kinda ruined my DSLite by falling into a creek with it in my pocket. It screwed up the top screen (now goes fuzzy if not in position 1 or 2) and ruined my shoulder buttons (L-Button hadn't worked already, but my R-Button was ruined as well) so I decided I'd fork over a few extra bucks and get a system I can Twitter and Facebook on :)

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

Calvin079
Granted, those stuck in the past might regret giving up the GBA slot, but even when I had a DS Lite I never played a GBA game in it. The camera works a lot better than most people give it credit for and is good for many good purposes. The fact that you can take it and immediately upload the picture to a Facebook account, for instance, makes this perfect and easy for creating an online photo album. Just set up a separate Facebook account that is for nothing but your photos and it's a breeze! You can then email any of these with ease. "Little Mini Game Shop" is a little bit disingenuous on your part. Games like MARIO VS. DONKEY KONG: MARCH OF THE MINIS........RAY MAN.......CASTLE OF MAGIC (an outstanding platformer).......ASPHALT 4 (a major and graphically stunning racing game).....are hardly "mini games." Each of these, which costs $8 at the DSiWare Shop, would easily go for $30 at Walmart or Target. And by the way, in your insulting little description, you neglected to mention that the DSi also has an SD card slot which turns the DSi into a music player...that it has a slightly bigger screen, better and louder sound (no headphone necessary for once), and a better 'matte' finish to it instead of the high-gloss of the DS Lites. You also didn't mention that the DSi includes a free Web browser. Finally, regarding what someone said about "well I have a camera and music player," yeah that's what I said a decade ago, too, when people tried to get me to buy a cell phone with an included camera. Why? I have a camera. The reason: It's just more convenient when you can pack as many devices as possible into one device.
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

2-10-08

Don't listen to these idiots who clearly have never owned a DSi but are just envious of those who have. I have owned all 3 DS systems...and I never thought the original DS looked ugly and had no problem with its hingest. The weak back lite was my main problem with it. The DS Lite works fine, but it does look like a toy because of its shiny appearance. But it will work for you if you don't mind that and if you only want to play games currently on the market. Also if you want to play games for the old system known as Game Boy Advance, go with the Lite.

Get the DSi if:

* you think you might want to play the DSi only games that will start hitting next year

* if you're interested in downloading games for about a third of the cost of games at Walmart (the Dsi features an online store with very cheap games to buy)

* if you'd like to use it as a music player (It comes with a slot for an SD card so you can transfer files from your computer to the DSi).

* if you'd like to use it to get on the Web, since it includes a free Web browser that won't require a game card (You can also get a slower browser for the Lite, but it will cost extra and will have to be inserted in your game slot like a game ....and as I said, it is slower).

* If you'd like a larger, brighter screen. It's totally untrue that the image gets stretched out of focus on the bigger screens. In fact, DS games are made in a resolution that does not deteriorate when stretched to the larger size of the DSi or even the DSi XL screen. Nintendo was very careful on both systems to only increase the screen size to a point where the picture on standard DS games is not distorted.

* if you'd like to play games without headphones. The DSi sound is MUCH LOUDER and crisper.

* if you'd like to create an online photo album. The DSi camera is extremely under-rated. The image, on most of my pictures, looks as good as most pictures that my cell phone takes. And there's also the ability to click and immediately upload the picture to a Facebook account. So you can establish a separate Facebook account as nothing but your photo album....and online, the pictures look just fine.

Hope that helps.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

RichardWrite

Don't listen to these idiots who clearly have never owned a DSi but are just envious of those who have. I have owned all 3 DS systems...and I never thought the original DS looked ugly and had no problem with its hingest. The weak back lite was my main problem with it. The DS Lite works fine, but it does look like a toy because of its shiny appearance. But it will work for you if you don't mind that and if you only want to play games currently on the market. Also if you want to play games for the old system known as Game Boy Advance, go with the Lite.

Get the DSi if:

* you think you might want to play the DSi only games that will start hitting next year

* if you're interested in downloading games for about a third of the cost of games at Walmart (the Dsi features an online store with very cheap games to buy)

* if you'd like to use it as a music player (It comes with a slot for an SD card so you can transfer files from your computer to the DSi).

* if you'd like to use it to get on the Web, since it includes a free Web browser that won't require a game card (You can also get a slower browser for the Lite, but it will cost extra and will have to be inserted in your game slot like a game ....and as I said, it is slower).

* If you'd like a larger, brighter screen. It's totally untrue that the image gets stretched out of focus on the bigger screens. In fact, DS games are made in a resolution that does not deteriorate when stretched to the larger size of the DSi or even the DSi XL screen. Nintendo was very careful on both systems to only increase the screen size to a point where the picture on standard DS games is not distorted.

* if you'd like to play games without headphones. The DSi sound is MUCH LOUDER and crisper.

* if you'd like to create an online photo album. The DSi camera is extremely under-rated. The image, on most of my pictures, looks as good as most pictures that my cell phone takes. And there's also the ability to click and immediately upload the picture to a Facebook account. So you can establish a separate Facebook account as nothing but your photo album....and online, the pictures look just fine.

Hope that helps.

So true man. Especially about the camera. IT DOESN"T SUCK!
XExodussX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 XExodussX
DSi is better than the DS because you can watch movies,play music,take pictures, and get on the internet.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

DSi is better than the DS because you can watch movies,play music,take pictures, and get on the internet. XExodussX
You can't watch movies on the DSi

Nintendo_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Nintendo_Jack
Since there's nothing interesting on dsiware yet I'd say its about even-ish but leaning to DS lite slightly, but once vritual consle for dsi kicks off the DSi will be way better
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

So true man. Especially about the camera. IT DOESN"T SUCK! martinX3X

Yea, it does. Saw it in action today in Best Buy. Its really no better than the average crap phone camera.

I was trying to pick between the Lite and the DSi, but went with the Lite because I think buying another game was worth more than a camera(I've got one on my phone and a dedicated one), a crappy internet browser(not gonna be very useful for my girlfriend who I bought it for), and a very limited selection of quality downloadable games.

If you're obsessed with having lots of features, go for the DSi. If you just want to play games, then the Lite is probably better value.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

[QUOTE="martinX3X"]So true man. Especially about the camera. IT DOESN"T SUCK! seankane

Yea, it does. Saw it in action today in Best Buy. Its really no better than the average crap phone camera.

I was trying to pick between the Lite and the DSi, but went with the Lite because I think buying another game was worth more than a camera(I've got one on my phone and a dedicated one), a crappy internet browser(not gonna be very useful for my girlfriend who I bought it for), and a very limited selection of quality downloadable games.

If you're obsessed with having lots of features, go for the DSi. If you just want to play games, then the Lite is probably better value.

Aside from the camera, it actually improves on the previous models. Here's a few (not all) impovements/changes: -Buttons are firm and more responsive -New, customizable OS -Hotswapping -Managing internet settings from the menu -Parental controls -Usage of 802.11g networks as well as usage of WPA and WPA2 security encryptions, -Returning to the menu at any time without restarting the system -Software Updates -Larger, brighter screens with less glare and same quality -Casing is more stain-resistant -Longer stylus -SD card slot for cards up to 32GB -Can be synchronized with your Club Nintendo account so, it actually offers more than a decent camera and music player...
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Aside from the camera, it actually improves on the previous models. Here's a few (not all) impovements/changes: -Buttons are firm and more responsive -New, customizable OS -Hotswapping -Managing internet settings from the menu -Parental controls -Usage of 802.11g networks as well as usage of WPA and WPA2 security encryptions, -Returning to the menu at any time without restarting the system -Software Updates -Larger, brighter screens with less glare and same quality -Casing is more stain-resistant -Longer stylus -SD card slot for cards up to 32GB -Can be synchronized with your Club Nintendo account so, it actually offers more than a decent camera and music player...windsquid9000

I could care less about any of that. Again, I'd rather just get another game.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]Aside from the camera, it actually improves on the previous models. Here's a few (not all) impovements/changes: -Buttons are firm and more responsive -New, customizable OS -Hotswapping -Managing internet settings from the menu -Parental controls -Usage of 802.11g networks as well as usage of WPA and WPA2 security encryptions, -Returning to the menu at any time without restarting the system -Software Updates -Larger, brighter screens with less glare and same quality -Casing is more stain-resistant -Longer stylus -SD card slot for cards up to 32GB -Can be synchronized with your Club Nintendo account so, it actually offers more than a decent camera and music player...seankane

I could care less about any of that. Again, I'd rather just get another game.

I'm not trying to change you opinion, just saying that it offers features that some people believe are important. I've heard many complaints about the DS Lite such as not being able to connect to 802.11g networks, WPA/WPA2 security encryptions, it's buttons being too soft, not being able to recieve software updates to fix bugs and add features, the casing staining too easily, and so on. Most of the problems with the DS Lite were fixed with the DSi.
Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#291 Robbie8912
Member since 2006 • 2299 Posts

[QUOTE="martinX3X"]So true man. Especially about the camera. IT DOESN"T SUCK! seankane

Yes, but what will you do when the DSi exclusives are released this coming year?

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 TriniPlayer
[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

[QUOTE="seankane"]

So true man. Especially about the camera. IT DOESN"T SUCK! martinX3X

Yes, but what will you do when the DSi exclusives are released this coming year?

It will still have regular DS games on sale
matthewd49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 matthewd49
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

what about the rumors of a virtual console on the dsi? does anyone know if it will be coming true or not?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

[QUOTE="seankane"]

TriniPlayer

Better question, what will you do when Nintendo releases Nintendogs 2, Super Smash Bros DSi, etc on DSi only? (if they do)

suburbancactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#295 suburbancactus

i'm not ready to give up my ds lite's gba slot yet.

the size differences are too minor to sway me.

new color options, camera, and online capabilities are really cool...but i have those on my cell phone, so why do i need them on my ds too? and i'm pretty sure the dsi store would end up eating a lot of money...most of the apps i've seen don't seem worthwhile.

sorry nintendo, but this upgrade isn't really worth it.

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 TriniPlayer
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="TriniPlayer"][QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

Better question, what will you do when Nintendo releases Nintendogs 2, Super Smash Bros DSi, etc on DSi only? (if they do)

IF THEY DO,i would just switch over to the DSi,thats all(even though i'm getting a DSi sometime)
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="TriniPlayer"] It will still have regular DS games on saleTriniPlayer

IF THEY DO,i would just switch over to the DSi,thats all(even though i'm getting a DSi sometime)

Yea thats my point,. Once nintendo gets whatever DSi only titles out that it makes, if its compelling for you (and lets face it nintendo will throw its best at it why the **** wouldn't they? do they not like selling DSi's?) you'll buy one because of the new exclusive retail software and the DSi you purchase will distiguish itself fro the DS lite you used to own by games only it can play

senjutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#298 senjutsu
Member since 2005 • 1206 Posts

Humm, I gess I'll buy the DSi instead of the DS lite. I won't buy something that won't be compatible with everything...