Donkey Kong: Original Edition -- where art thou?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Ok so I bought a downloadable version of a premium 3DS game when I would much rather have purchased the cart instead. I did it so I could get that complete version of the NES Donkey Kong Nintendo offered to those of us who were willing to sacrifice physical presence and the ability to resell used games by doing this very thing. I really wanted this version of Donkey Kong, and (call me crazy) I would have paid as much as I paid for the downloadable cart game just to get it. So it wasn't a terrible deal in my eyes, despite the requirement that I part with my preferred ownership physical media.

It took only minutes to download this very large game. Now it has been three weeks and I still have no sign of that download code for Donkey Kong. This is making me wonder just what is going on with that game that requires Nintendo to put up a waiting period for the game in the first place.

I can't get a refund on the game I bought digitally for the privilege of getting this thing, so that can't be the reason? It's a fraction of the size of the game I was able to download in a few minutes -- so it can't be for size reasons either. I also know the game is ready because many people already have their codes, though many many more do not and like me don't quite understand why. Does Nintendo have just one guy sitting in a broom closet somewhere manually sending these things out from a printout list?

Isn't the whole point of making mainstream games downloadable to give gamers almost instant access? If I had ordered a cart through the slowest form of snail mail I would have likely received it faster than this. Is anyone else here waiting to receive their code? And does anyone know the reason why this process is so slow?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I bought Paper Mario for the same reason. Still no code.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo should have sent you the Download code via Club Nintendo. Contact Nintendo customer service and tell them you didn't recieve the Download token. You have until Jan 6th 2013 to get Donkey Kong.

On a side note The Donkey Kong Game is supposed to be a never released version not seen in North America. It is not the standard Donkey Kong released on the NES. Way back in 1985 Donkey Kong was released with Donkey Kong jr and Donkey Kong 3 as Donkey Kong Classics.

This Donkey Kong is a Japan only Never released in PAL & NSTC regions. Not the regular Donkey Kong on the NES

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 m0zart

Nintendo should have sent you the Download code via Club Nintendo. Contact Nintendo customer service and tell them you didn't recieve the Download token. You have until Jan 6th 2013 to get Donkey Kong.

On a side note The Donkey Kong Game is supposed to be a never released version not seen in North America. It is not the standard Donkey Kong released on the NES. Way back in 1985 Donkey Kong was released with Donkey Kong jr and Donkey Kong 3 as Donkey Kong Classics.

This Donkey Kong is a Japan only Never released in PAL & NSTC regions. Not the regular Donkey Kong on the NES

Megavideogamer

The game is supposed to be sent through Club Nintendo when purchased on a 3DS that has the Nintendo Store linked with the Club Nintendo account, but the code is actually received through the email address registered with Club Nintendo.

Yes, this is not the same as the NES version of the game released in the States. It's called "Original Edition" because it has the Pie Factory board, a board that was in the arcade game and a Japanese Famicom release, but which was left out of the US NES release.

An important point is that they specifically say it will take up to 4 weeks to receive it, so part of my complaint here is just that that kind of delay seems very unreasonable. I've heard of some getting it within a few days after purchase, and some having to wait almost a month. That makes me very curious what is going on at Nintendo that such an unpredictable process could be in place. It seems pretty silly.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Ok so I bought a downloadable version of a premium 3DS game when I would much rather have purchased the cart instead. I did it so I could get that complete version of the NES Donkey Kong Nintendo offered to those of us who were willing to sacrifice physical presence and the ability to resell used games by doing this very thing. I really wanted this version of Donkey Kong, and (call me crazy) I would have paid as much as I paid for the downloadable cart game just to get it. So it wasn't a terrible deal in my eyes, despite the requirement that I part with my preferred ownership physical media.

It took only minutes to download this very large game. Now it has been three weeks and I still have no sign of that download code for Donkey Kong. This is making me wonder just what is going on with that game that requires Nintendo to put up a waiting period for the game in the first place.

I can't get a refund on the game I bought digitally for the privilege of getting this thing, so that can't be the reason? It's a fraction of the size of the game I was able to download in a few minutes -- so it can't be for size reasons either. I also know the game is ready because many people already have their codes, though many many more do not and like me don't quite understand why. Does Nintendo have just one guy sitting in a broom closet somewhere manually sending these things out from a printout list?

Isn't the whole point of making mainstream games downloadable to give gamers almost instant access? If I had ordered a cart through the slowest form of snail mail I would have likely received it faster than this. Is anyone else here waiting to receive their code? And does anyone know the reason why this process is so slow?

m0zart
Has it been a month?
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 m0zart

Has it been a month?Jaysonguy

It took only minutes to download this very large game. Now it has been three weeks and I still have no sign of that download code for Donkey Kong. This is making me wonder just what is going on with that game that requires Nintendo to put up a waiting period for the game in the first place.m0zart

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Yeah I have a toothache so I tried to read everything but that's not happening. I'd say give it another 8 days, then call them
vgshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 vgshine
Member since 2006 • 463 Posts

Did you do the product registration survey of the game you downloaded? Because that's required to qualify for the promotion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Yeah, I finished the post-play survey yesterday and got my code about the same time the next day.
Hrothgarfunkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Hrothgarfunkel
Member since 2009 • 248 Posts

Yeah, I finished the post-play survey yesterday and got my code about the same time the next day.darkspineslayer

This! Bought the game the day it came out and didn't really think about the donkey kong game until I saw this thread. I just filled out my second survey on the game and got an email an hour or two later.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m0zart

Did you do the product registration survey of the game you downloaded? Because that's required to qualify for the promotion.

vgshine

I always do any surveys that appear on my MyNintendo account. I did the one that appeared there for the game.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 m0zart

I decided to call Nintendo about this. As soon as I sent the email request, the code suddenly appeared in my inbox.

I'm still confused why this took so long, but at least it actually arrived.