YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

For those of you who have been waiting for it since that Nintendo Direct, Donkey Kong 64 is now on the US eShop. So, if you live in A-murica, Donkey Kong 64 can be bought for a solid $9.99 + tax. I'm not sure about the rest of NA. Check dat eShop! I've never played the game before, so I think I'm going to check it out. Everyone talks about how great it is and I no longer have an excuse not to try it.

Wuddya buyin'?
Wuddya buyin'?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im only buying handheld games now....

i use my PC for wii/GC/n64/snes/nes games :D

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Everyone talks about how great it is and I no longer have an excuse not to try it.

Not everyone. I've gotten the impression over the years that most people didn't like it while a smaller group thought it was amazing.

I hated it. It literally made me depressed as I played due to boring monotony and lack of character. I think I forced myself to finish it, which made me hate it even more. And I loved all of Rare's other 3D platformers.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's a bad game, anyone who buys it has purchased a bad game.

It has not aged well either.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Make a similar thread when Perfect Dark 64 comes out on VC with Pointer Controls and then I'll be all over it

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@nini200 said:

Make a similar thread when Perfect Dark 64 comes out on VC with Pointer Controls and then I'll be all over it

That would be awesome. I got the 360 version of that game hoping to relive the magic, but something about the dual analog controls was off just enough for it to be pretty much unplayable for me. Going back to the N64 controller would also be unplayable, I'm guessing, since I'm almost two decades out of practice.

Pointer controls, if done right (i.e. not done by High Voltage Software), would be perfect.

PERFECT.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I did not like it when I played it on my N64 back in the day. I may enjoy it more now days but i thought it would be really good coming off the country series but no.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I heard that there is some crazy input lag for N64 games on Wii U. I can't verify it since I bought Watchdogs U instead. (seriously.)

meankilleR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meankilleR
Member since 2002 • 9632 Posts

Imo this is a great game, And the hate was overblown. Still holds up, just started today and freed Chunky Komg, time to hit up the Donkey Kong Arcade machine in game....

Great music that is better then banjo 1 and 2, graphics are better then banjo 1 especially with the new smooth frame rate. Graphics hold up better then the majority of any 3d games on the ps1/n64 from that era.

If you like rare platformers this is a must play imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

It's a bad game, anyone who buys it has purchased a bad game.

It has not aged well either.

You will buy the VC version, spend 80 hours of life it takes to 100% the game and you will LIKE it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I really did not enjoy this game back in the day, and replaying it a few years ago didn't help it at all.

It started strong, with high production values and a lot of charm. It was never going to be a good follow-up to DKC, but at least it initially seemed like a successor to Banjo Kazooie.

...Then you unlock all of the characters, and realise that you have to replay every level a minimum of five times just to complete them.

...And then you notice that many of the games' challenges rely on tightly timed sequences, precision platforming, or awkward shooting - none of which work well due to the game's clunky controls.

...And then you realise that progressing through the game is far more frustrating then fun, so you shelve it for another year 10 years.

Michimune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12 Michimune
Member since 2015 • 33 Posts

I'd only buy it (or at least think of doing so) if it was brought to the 3DS....

They did well enough with Starfox 64, LoZ OoT and LoZ MM....

It might be more expensive but I'd rather play it with at least slightly updated controls, graphics, and extremely slightly updated gameplay :)