Does the color of your DS affect your gameplay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kelliemonster
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

I've had a black DS lite for a couple of years now because it looked sleek, but after all this time it's starting to feel like it's very dark when I play. I've always put the screens on the brightest setting so they stand out from the black background, which is starting to bother me. I know some people say that the lighter colors make them happier when they play. I think I might be getting something other than black when I get my next handheld.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

i dont think so. my old fat ds isnt really a problem for me, and its covered in scratches.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Doesn't affect my gameplay, but I would like a DS that comes in my favorite color.

Tubenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tubenz
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

I've had a black DS lite for a couple of years now because it looked sleek, but after all this time it's starting to feel like it's very dark when I play. I've always put the screens on the brightest setting so they stand out from the black background, which is starting to bother me. I know some people say that the lighter colors make them happier when they play. I think I might be getting something other than black when I get my next handheld.

kelliemonster

Lol, how long can you play with brightest settings?

I play with the lowest and the games dont look dark at all (i have a black DS)

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 George_M
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

I've had a black DS lite for a couple of years now because it looked sleek, but after all this time it's starting to feel like it's very dark when I play. I've always put the screens on the brightest setting so they stand out from the black background, which is starting to bother me.kelliemonster

I think it's the other way around. Since there's more contrast with the black, it's going to look brighter than the white at any given brightness setting.

I owned white and crimson/black (all black on the inside) Lites together for a while and I got rid of the white one primarily for that reason.

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 George_M

...and to illustrate my point, see this image. The gray bar in the center is the same color all the way across.

Gradient

trx1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trx1961
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts

mine is pink and it doesnt matter a bit to me, doesnt affect my skilz at all

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#8 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
not really, why should it? you look at the screen while you play
George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 George_M

not really, why should it? you look at the screen while you playblooddog28

Sure, you focus on the screens but the surrounding plastic is in your field of vision and will affect how you perceive the screens. Look at the image I posted above. The gray bar looks brighter against a darker background. Similarly, a non-neutral surrounding color will affect your color perception on the screen. For example, skin tones may look off if you look at a picture of someone's face on a blue DSi.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

...and to illustrate my point, see this image. The gray bar in the center is the same color all the way across.

Gradient

George_M

I just quoted you to say that your avatar is awesome. Great game. On the subject, I think mine does a little bit. Which is why I am getting a blue DSi rather than a black one. I have a dark blue phat and I do notice myself getting a little more down if I'm having trouble beating something when I look at the darker color..

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#11 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

[QUOTE="kelliemonster"]I've had a black DS lite for a couple of years now because it looked sleek, but after all this time it's starting to feel like it's very dark when I play. I've always put the screens on the brightest setting so they stand out from the black background, which is starting to bother me.George_M

I think it's the other way around. Since there's more contrast with the black, it's going to look brighter than the white at any given brightness setting.

I think they put black borders around the picture(and sometimes even the bezel) on alot of plasma/lcd tvs for this very reason....

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

kelliemonster
Yup. I have a light blue DS that I imported. I think I play it way more than I would if I got a plain old white one. Because it looks so awesome, I want to play it more, and love to whip it out in public. ;)
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="blooddog28"]not really, why should it? you look at the screen while you playGeorge_M

Sure, you focus on the screens but the surrounding plastic is in your field of vision and will affect how you perceive the screens. Look at the image I posted above. The gray bar looks brighter against a darker background. Similarly, a non-neutral surrounding color will affect your color perception on the screen. For example, skin tones may look off if you look at a picture of someone's face on a blue DSi.

You are awesome and saved me a lot of work

Lots of people don't realize this but a black frame around the picture actually enhances the picture

Suicidal-Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suicidal-Fear
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
Um no not at all.
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
i got a black one for the very reason to not hurt my eyes with a bright color or white works great for me, makes me focus on the actual screen and gameplay
George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 George_M

I just quoted you to say that your avatar is awesome.MorbidToaster

You are awesome...Jaysonguy

I love this place; It's awesome!

Selective quoting's pretty awesome too. :oops:

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

[QUOTE="kelliemonster"]

Tubenz

Same. Who uses the brightest setting? My Lite(s) last like x2+ longer with it down all the way, and I can't tell the difference.

The-Legand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The-Legand
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts
It shouldn't do anything to the gameplay. The one thing about colours is that when you select your favorite colour when you start up you ds it will be your menu colour. That's not all, have you noticed in animal corssing that the colour you choose as your favorite is the same colour as the roof of your house. Things like this tend to pop up in DS games, and they make a nice touch.
Avatar image for CountessChocula
CountessChocula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CountessChocula
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

Yes, I believe that the unit's color can affect the mood of the game you are playing. I found the bright red of my old DS rather distracting, and this color clashed with so many game palettes. In contrast, my metallic rose DS is more soothing to look at and the color surprisingly complements many games.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="kelliemonster"]

clicketyclick

Yup. I have a light blue DS that I imported. I think I play it way more than I would if I got a plain old white one. Because it looks so awesome, I want to play it more, and love to whip it out in public. ;)

That sounded wrong.:lol:

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
According to George_M's picture, my phat DS is smack dab in the middle with no color distortion or skill disorientation.. Woop woop!
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

kelliemonster

Yes. Yes it does. I find myself endlessly fascinated with games such as Pop Cutie Street Fashion, Harvest Moon DS Cute, Imagine Fashion Model and Diary Girl whenever I use my pink DS Lite. I've found myself giggling giddily over the fact that I've caught the prince's eye in Princess Debut. :P

No but seriously... I tried playing with my friend's black DS and did find that my screen was a little bit darker than what I was used to. But that's probably some psychological thing, not because the screen really is darker.

The-Legand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The-Legand
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts
Back again to the fact that you can change your screen brightness....
kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kelliemonster

[QUOTE="Tubenz"]

[QUOTE="kelliemonster"]

awssk8er716

Same. Who uses the brightest setting? My Lite(s) last like x2+ longer with it down all the way, and I can't tell the difference.

I have always used the brightest setting and I've never had an issue with the battery running out too quickly (and I do generally play for a few hours at a time, and I don't charge it every night, only when the light turns red). It's actually got a surprisingly good battery!

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]I just quoted you to say that your avatar is awesome.George_M

No you're awesome!

Putting words in other people's mouth is awesome as well. :oops:

Wii_NDS_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Wii_NDS_Master
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

I think it probably does. When I use black ds, I can snake better than on a white or pink one. When I use the red and black ds, I can snipe better on Call of Duty, odd.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

[QUOTE="George_M"]

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]I just quoted you to say that your avatar is awesome.MorbidToaster

No you're awesome!

Putting words in other people's mouth is wrong and in some cases, is a crime. :oops:

Fixed.

Did, someone here noticed the irony?

Oh, by the way, to those who said No to TC question, if you're a boy try to play in a pink DS in public, after that say how well you went. (lol)

Nah, joking.

ninja_where

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ninja_where
Member since 2008 • 2447 Posts
^Pink is like, the manliest color evahr, FYI. But more importantly, no, I don't believe anything change. I play with a White DS, a black PSP, a black PS3 and of course the controller is black. Tried a pink DS and a blank one before. Nothing changed. And mind you, I played the pink one while I'm at a party. My DS is covered in Guitar Hero stickers though, so I could barely tell if it's white or black or yellow or blue or red or the colors of the rainbow.
calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

No, it don't affect me.

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 George_M

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]

[QUOTE="George_M"]

No you're awesome!

meiaman

Putting words in other people's mouth is wrong and in some cases, is a crime. :oops:

Fixed.

No, it's OK; that's what I meant to say. :)

Kathryn9595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kathryn9595
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The color dosen't effect my gameplay, but I will always buy a white DS. Idk why, but the colors bother me.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Did, someone here noticed the irony?

Oh, by the way, to those who said No to TC question, if you're a boy try to play in a pink DS in public, after that say how well you went. (lol)

Nah, joking.

meiaman

True. :lol:My bro actually hides his playing with my pink DS under the table while in public.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

i dont think so. my old fat ds isnt really a problem for me, and its covered in scratches.

the_wet_mop
I agree, don't care as long as it works I'm fine with it.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="George_M"]

[QUOTE="meiaman"]

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] Putting words in other people's mouth is wrong and in some cases, is a crime. :oops:

Fixed.

No, it's OK; that's what I meant to say. :)

I enjoy your sense of humor, kind sir. Glad you could actually enjoy that...unlike SOMEONE that will not be named.
KudoS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KudoS17
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts

it doesn't matter to me what color it is it doesn't bother me that much

basebike2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 basebike2
Member since 2004 • 1109 Posts

no this is the first time i have heard about something like this. i could maybe see if my ds caught on fire and was put out in blood and needles and crap maybe.

laurensnaudts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 laurensnaudts
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts

I prefer white handhelds for esthetic reasons, but I think other coloured consoles would indeed effect my gameplay.
Can't say in a good or bad way though :o

Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts

My white DS (before it broke) didn't seem as bright as my friends' DS which were darker in color. Then when I got a onyx DS the screen seemed a lot brighter.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
No, doesn't make any difference to me at all.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, doesn't make any difference to me at all.Floppy_Jim

Yes it does as someone has already demonstrated in this thread

The color that surrounds the screen has a direct impact on how you perceive what's on the screen

Aphallatosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aphallatosis
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

After reading this thread I've finallydecided to go with a black DSi. Thanks all!

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
so how would the blue DSi affect playing DS games?
Imsterminate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Imsterminate
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

kelliemonster

Think about the question you just asked. If the colour really did affect gameplay everybody would get the bestcolour which would mean all the different colours for the DS Nintendo are releasing are a waste of time and money.

kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kelliemonster

[QUOTE="kelliemonster"]

Imsterminate

Think about the question you just asked. If the colour really did affect gameplay everybody would get the bestcolour which would mean all the different colours for the DS Nintendo are releasing are a waste of time and money.

I meant "Does the color of your DS affect your gameplay in your opinion?" You know, along the lines of "in your opinion, do you feel happier when wearing your favorite colored shirt?" or something like that. It was just an opinion question, not a "Did Nintendo manufacture different colors differently so that some colors play worse than others?" I thought that was clear, sorry!

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I have a black ds lite as well but it doesn't affect my gameplay but I rarely play in the dark anyway. :P