Do you think Nintendo should regret selling Rare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#1 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I mean they made Donkey Kong (although I didn't like the N64 version).

Opinions?

Avatar image for skittlezzz68011
skittlezzz68011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 skittlezzz68011
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

rare as in rareware well if it is rareware YES!!! i still remember the banjo kazooie/ tooie stop n swop thing it never did happen

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... if you mean "buy again", then nah. i dont miss rare that much. wouldnt mind if they were still here, but *looks at what rare's been doing at MS* not really impressive. *copies to post on the other thread*
smurf_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 smurf_killer
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts

why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... if you mean "buy again", then nah. i dont miss rare that much. wouldnt mind if they were still here, but *looks at what rare's been doing at MS* not really impressive. *copies to post on the other thread*BrunoBRS

this

rare did some really good things fornintendo (conker bad fur day FTW) but for microsoft the only succesful thing they've done its Viva Piñata

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
I really don't think Nintendo regrets it. They weren't doing much for Nintendo after the N64.
CrashMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrashMan09
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts

I could be wrong here, but I doubt that Nintendo even "sold" Rare. Rare was a third-party company who got in tight enough with Nintendo to gain access to one of their first-party titles. Although there may or may not have been a binding contract between the two companies, I'm 95% positive that Nintendo themselves did not have any say in what direction Rare went. Microsoft made Rare an offer, and Rare accepted.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darksongbird

I could be wrong here, but I doubt that Nintendo even "sold" Rare. Rare was a third-party company who got in tight enough with Nintendo to gain access to one of their first-party titles. Although there may or may not have been a binding contract between the two companies, I'm 95% positive that Nintendo themselves did not have any say in what direction Rare went. Microsoft made Rare an offer, and Rare accepted.

CrashMan09
Crash Man! Oh, sorry. Got distracted. :P
Avatar image for Envoy_of_Wolves
Envoy_of_Wolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Envoy_of_Wolves
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts
No. Rare hasn't made jack worth playing since Nintendo sold them so it looks like the big N ditched Rare right before they went to sh*t The one thing Nintendo should regret is not trying to buy the rights to Banjo Kazooie off Rare before letting them go, especially since Rare can't even seem to make a good Banjo game anymore.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Yeah. Having the rights to Banjo would be good for Nintendo. But that might have been what sealed the deal for MS.
m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... if you mean "buy again", then nah. i dont miss rare that much. wouldnt mind if they were still here, but *looks at what rare's been doing at MS* not really impressive. *copies to post on the other thread*smurf_killer

this

rare did some really good things fornintendo (conker bad fur day FTW) but for microsoft the only succesful thing they've done its Viva Piñata

Actually, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was an absolutely phenomenal game, and Perfect Dark Zero was good as well and the Perfect Dark XBLA remake also looks good. I still think Rare would be better with Ninty though :/
Avatar image for Envoy_of_Wolves
Envoy_of_Wolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Envoy_of_Wolves
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts
[QUOTE="smurf_killer"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... if you mean "buy again", then nah. i dont miss rare that much. wouldnt mind if they were still here, but *looks at what rare's been doing at MS* not really impressive. *copies to post on the other thread*m1k3m

this

Actually, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was an absolutely phenomenal game, and Perfect Dark Zero was good as well and the Perfect Dark XBLA remake also looks good. I still think Rare would be better with Ninty though :/

Banjo Kazooie N&B is good on it's own merits, but as a Banjo game it felt like getting the middle finger from Rare after waiting 8 years for a proper successor to Banjo Tooie.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
No, Rare developed Donkey Kong Country series, not original Donkey Kong.
jerahmeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jerahmeela
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts

I could be wrong here, but I doubt that Nintendo even "sold" Rare.

CrashMan09

Rareware was never owned by Nintendo, as the latter once owned 49% of the company's stocks, not a majority needed for ownership. It was a developer that had an exclusive contract with Nintendo to develop games.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS

CrashMan09
hmm... no. rare was a second party working for nintendo, and now is a second party that works for microsoft but can publish handheld titles on non-microsoft platforms for some bizarre reason.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Last I checked, Nintendo never owned Rare.
CrashMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CrashMan09

[QUOTE="CrashMan09"]

BrunoBRS

hmm... no. rare was a second party working for nintendo, and now is a second party that works for microsoft but can publish handheld titles on non-microsoft platforms for some bizarre reason.

You're gonna have to elaborate a bit more to illustrate how this was different from what I said. ;)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="CrashMan09"]

CrashMan09

You're gonna have to elaborate a bit more to illustrate how this was different from what I said. ;)

you said rare was a third party, i corrected saying it was a second party (a small studio owned by a major first party, like retro and camelot). nintendo chose to sell rare to microsoft. rare themselves werent involved in the discussion.
CrashMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrashMan09

First of all, Rare had been around for a long time before they started developing games for the NES. That's where the "third party" thing comes in. In fact, it was only for a very brief period that Rare could even be considered a "2nd-party" developer; when they entered with Nintendo intoan exclusive publishing agreement for the N64 and GameCube.

Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

[QUOTE="CrashMan09"]

BrunoBRS

I think the reason for that is to help Nintendo beat Sony in the handheld market.

I think when Rare was bought by Microsoft many of the developers left to join Free Radical? (the guys who made Timesplitters which is why that series rocked so much), and that's why I think Rare's most recent efforts aren't as amazing as the SNES/N64 days.

Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo never owned Rare. Rare was just a developer that made bank on the N64 is all.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Nintendo didn't own Rare, they just made games for them from NES up until the early days of GC.

Without a doubt, some of the best games for the systems.

Microsoft bought Rare and originally I was disappointed but seeing as one of the founders of the company has left and seeing the quality of games that they have been releasing, I guess now I'm just sad.

Nintendo and Rare made some truly phenomenal games. Its a shame that such a great company has dwindled since their best times.

If rare got back to the calibre of some of the games they made in their early years, I'd buy whatever system they made the games for.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... BrunoBRS

It gets ansewers from diffrent people. I do it all of the time.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
*ignores whoever still thinks rare was a third party*

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="CrashMan09"]

Mr_Nordquist

I think the reason for that is to help Nintendo beat Sony in the handheld market.

I think when Rare was bought by Microsoft many of the developers left to join Free Radical? (the guys who made Timesplitters which is why that series rocked so much), and that's why I think Rare's most recent efforts aren't as amazing as the SNES/N64 days.

Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo never owned Rare. Rare was just a developer that made bank on the N64 is all.

joined free radical? didnt know that, but timesplitters sure seems very "rare-ish", with all those bizarre choices for characters on the multiplayer :lol: zombie monkey FTW! as for the handheld thing, i think it was something like "we dont mind, since we still dont have a handheld of our own", because why would microsoft help nintendo defeat sony? (not that nintendo needs any help on the handheld market...)
CrashMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrashMan09

*ignores whoever still thinks rare was a third party* BrunoBRS

What exactly makes you think otherwise? Rare is a third-party company. The period during which they can actually be considered "2nd party" is very brief.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I don't miss them on the handhelds but I do miss them on my Wii.

When Nintendo lost them to MS they also lost a huge quality developer that had talent in genres that Nintendo has yet to recover from.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

I don't miss them on the handhelds but I do miss them on my Wii.

When Nintendo lost them to MS they also lost a huge quality developer that had talent in genres that Nintendo has yet to recover from.

JLF1

Rare's talent left the company before Nintendo sold them to Microsoft. They had left to form Free Radical as they were fed up developing games for inferior hardware. All Nintendo really lost when they sold Rare was a few game titles, such as Perfect Dark and we all know how much the sequel to that game stunk.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Last I checked, Nintendo never owned Rare.siLVURcross
Nintendo owned 49% of Rareware and they refused to buy the other 51% of Rareware because when Nintendo refused Rareware wasn't doing to good so Rare went to Microsoft and sold their 51% to Microsoft and Nintendo was forced to sell their 49%.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darksongbird

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why posting the same thread on 2 forums? anyways... Burning-Sludge

It gets ansewers from diffrent people. I do it all of the time.

Thanks for that. Glad it made sense to someone. And thanks for keeping this topic alive guys.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

No, look what Rare is spewing out these days.. It's terrible.

Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

Peh, Rare hasn't made anything too impressive in what must be a decade. People still love them though. Kind of like MJ. Oops, too soon?

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#30 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
No. Rare hasn't made jack worth playing since Nintendo sold them so it looks like the big N ditched Rare right before they went to sh*t The one thing Nintendo should regret is not trying to buy the rights to Banjo Kazooie off Rare before letting them go, especially since Rare can't even seem to make a good Banjo game anymore.Envoy_of_Wolves
This^^ But ya i agree, i wish Rare would have just made good games instead of turning crappy. I'm sad Banjo is gone but Rare was doing nothing.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I'm sure Nintendo had a great business relationship with Rareware (especially during the SNES days), but Nintendo can move on & make many more great titles without them. Like Mario, Zelda, Metroid & Pokemon.