Disgaea DS alternatives

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 yoshi1476
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

I was wanting to buy Disgaea DS to play over the school holidays. However I found out the story revolves around a demon trying to take over Hell and so I am unwilling to buy it.

Are there any similiar games to this without the anti christian themes which have atleast 50 hours of play time (including sidequests)?

If there are no good similiar games I don't mind normal RPG games.

Thanks for the help,

yoshi

Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

I was wanting to buy Disgaea DS to play over the school holidays. However I found out the story revolves around a demon trying to take over Hell and so I am unwilling to buy it.

Are there any similiar games to this without the anti christian themes which have atleast 100 hours of play time (including sidequests)?

Thanks for the help,

yoshi

yoshi1476
Are you serious?
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yoshi1476

[QUOTE="yoshi1476"]

Are there any similiar games to this without the anti christian themes which have atleast 100 hours of play time (including sidequests)?

Thanks for the help,

yoshi

Travis281

Are you serious?

Yes.

And I have looked at FF Tactics A2 but it doesn't seem to have much customization/depth to it as the only things you seem to be able to change is equipment and skills and the story I've heard is incredibly bad.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

[QUOTE="Travis281"][QUOTE="yoshi1476"]

Thanks for the help,

yoshi

yoshi1476

Are you serious?

Yes.

And I have looked at FF Tactics A2 but it doesn't seem to have much customization/depth to it as the only things you seem to be able to change is equipment and skills and the story I've heard is incredibly bad.

So you want disgaea without it being disgaea then no there is no alternative.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

You have to be kidding, it's a game man.

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yoshi1476

You have to be kidding, it's a game man.

Yandere

It's more my parents, but I also don't agree with playing games as anti Christian as Disgaea

I want a game similiar to Disgaea e.g. like FF Tactics A2 with an atleast semi-decent story or a long RPG game.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I guess get Disgaea 2,

"Fifteen years ago, a powerful Overlord by the name of Zenon appeared in Veldime and cursed its human population. Since then, all its inhabitants have become demons and are to remain that way if the curse was not broken. However, a young man named Adell was the only human unaffected by the curse. Wanting to save his family and return them back to their true form, Adell decides to seek out Overlord Zenon and defeat him. Adell's mother tries to summon Zenon and fails, but instead summons Rozalin, Zenon's daughter. They later go on a quest to find Zenon and return Rozalin to him, and then defeat him so that the curse would be lifted, making his family and the rest of the world human again."

Disgaea is never serious, you shouldn't take stuff like that to heart.

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yoshi1476

I saw Disgaea 2 recently at Phoenix Games (or whatever Game Traders is called now) but just like Disgaea Ds I am not allowed to buy it.

Is Final Fantasy Tactics A2 good (apart from the story) because i've heard that half the classes are pointless or have good attacks but bad stat growth.

Is Luminous Arc any good??

wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 wraithbladeuk
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Last I checked, Disgaea didn't have any anti-christian themes. In fact, Christianity and religion aren't mentioned anywhere in the game. The only things that are mentioned that are anything to do with the christian faith are the devil and hell, and beleiving and accepting that these things exsist are all part of the christian faith (Can't have heaven without hell and all that). It really isn't an anti christian game.

Saying that though, if you have your problems with it and don't want to buy it, there aren't really that many games like it on DS. As other posters have mentioned, FFTactics is quite good, although you are correct in saying that it doesn't have the level of depth offered by Disgaea.

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yoshi1476

I'm fine with games mentioning Hell and stuff but when the story is about you being a Devil trying to take control of Hell there is no way my parents would let me get it and I would be cautious of buying it too.

Nippon Ichi seems to make all its games about Demons, witch hunters or something in between.

I think I will just get FF Tactics and then just play that until I can find something else (or stop being lazy and finish learning C#).

Thanks for all your help and Merry Christmas

wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 wraithbladeuk
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

I'm fine with games mentioning Hell and stuff but when the story is about you being a Devil trying to take control of Hell there is no way my parents would let me get it and I would be cautious of buying it too.

Nippon Ichi seems to make all its games about Demons, witch hunters or something in between.

I think I will just get FF Tactics and then just play that until I can find something else (or stop being lazy and finish learning C#).

Thanks for all your help and Merry Christmas

yoshi1476

I think you'll find due to Japanese culture, most games involve themes of deities, hell, demons and the such like. The majority of major labels over there (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona etc etc) are all laced with themes involving religion and beleifs, I just didn't think Disgaea portrayed those tones in such a way as to be deemed offensive. Also, the majority of decent strategy based games with deep customization are from Japan :P

Just wondering what would make you cautious of purchasing the game and what content you feel would offend you? I think you have a bit of a misconception of the seriousness of which Nippon Ichi portrays the themes in this game. It could be set on a farm trying to overthrow a giant rabbit and it would still be highly customizable, quirky and fun. If there's anything you're worrying about let me know, I may be able to dispel some myths around the content.

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yoshi1476

There is nothing that really worries me about the game apart from the fact that you control a devil who is trying to take over Hell since his dad (Satan?) has died and I don't mind magic like that in final fantasy, kingdom hearts, Rune Factory etc or summoning mythical creatures/monsters but I try not to play games with occult magic (alot seem to have vodoo-esque controlling of objects)

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

All i can add to this topic is ... LOL

There is no alternative to Disgaea, it's in a league of it's own.

Honestly ... the themes in disgaea are no worse then anything you will read in the paper, on childrens TV, etc.

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 Robbie8912
Member since 2006 • 2299 Posts

As a Mormon I can understand that you don't want to play as the devil. But you have to understand that in Video games like this, the Devil is an Animated Character with a fake personality. He is not real. He cannot harm you, he cannot give you temptation, and playing the game will certainly not be viewed as Sacrilege to your real life beliefs. You sound an intelligent person, and you hold your beliefs strong. Therefore I know that this game is not going to change you. Video games usually do not inspire evil. The lunatics that make Game reality into real life are simply deranged, and are unaware of the barrier between fantasy, and reality. This is a game. Nothing more. It is simply made to be a creative and original game idea. If you want it, you should buy it. I hold my beliefs strong as well, and I play Gears of War :lol:

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

It's about a demon who learns how to love from an angel, lol.

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Robbie8912

X-Remnant

Oh, well then there you go TC :D

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

I just felt alot of sumpaty to the TC in realising that he is unable / not allowed to immerse himself into the imaginary world of a game.

The netherworld is not hell at all. - its a alternate dimension there are as many netherwolds as there are stars in the sky and each has a entirely unique setting, the only similarity is that they are controlled by demons who behave oposite of what we would find good in a humorous way such as not brushing your teeth!attending school makes you a delinquent while skipping ****s makes you a demon honor student.
laharl's dad is not satan at all - infact he is a big supporter to begin a truce/partnership with celestia and humans

In japanese games demon's often fill in the same role as greek mythological creatures, they are neither good or evil and only tend to theyr own world.
You have agressive beastly demons (think ifrit from FF) and passive intelectual demons (think shiva also from ff).

The goal of a RPG is to immerse yourself into a entirely diverent world, not being able to ignore old fashioned traditional realworldthoughts destroys a big portion of the magic. If a game has small baseballs that can make entire buildings float i'l just accept that within the gajme world, in the same way demons may be good (smt series for example)and the angels may be evil (bayonetta has "evil" angels for example)

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Robbie8912

I just felt alot of sumpaty to the TC in realising that he is unable / not allowed to immerse himself into the imaginary world of a game.

The netherworld is not hell at all. - its a alternate dimension there are as many netherwolds as there are stars in the sky and each has a entirely unique setting, the only similarity is that they are controlled by demons who behave oposite of what we would find good in a humorous way such as not brushing your teeth!attending school makes you a delinquent while skipping ****s makes you a demon honor student.
laharl's dad is not satan at all - infact he is a big supporter to begin a truce/partnership with celestia and humans

In japanese games demon's often fill in the same role as greek mythological creatures, they are neither good or evil and only tend to theyr own world.
You have agressive beastly demons (think ifrit from FF) and passive intelectual demons (think shiva also from ff).

The goal of a RPG is to immerse yourself into a entirely diverent world, not being able to ignore old fashioned traditional realworldthoughts destroys a big portion of the magic. If a game has small baseballs that can make entire buildings float i'l just accept that within the gajme world, in the same way demons may be good (smt series for example)and the angels may be evil (bayonetta has "evil" angels for example)

hot114

All true. And I'd like to point out that my Friend's little Brothers watch Yugioh and Bakugan, and there is always talk of "Dark Realmes" and "Enternal Darkess Valleys" and things like that. I think the Japanese have a facination with Mythology andOuter Darkness :lol:

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yoshi1476

[QUOTE="hot114"]

Robbie8912

All true. And I'd like to point out that my Friend's little Brothers watch Yugioh and Bakugan, and there is always talk of "Dark Realmes" and "Enternal Darkess Valleys" and things like that. I think the Japanese have a facination with Mythology andOuter Darkness :lol:

And in all Pokemon games you use magical powers.

I don't need any sympathy in being unable to immerse myself in a fantasy world as I have played many RPG and one of my favourtie books is The Oddysey.

However my parents will not let me play a game where you are a demon trying to take over a world similiar to Hell.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

On the DS?

I can't really think of anything; nothing is very much like Disgaea.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor is in the same genre, with anime-inspired graphics and multiple story paths (you can either choose to side with God or his antagonist -- you can make of that what you will), and it's great, so I'd recommend that if you can't get Disgaea. Just keep in mind they're very different games.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 X-Remnant

[QUOTE="X-Remnant"]

Robbie8912

Oh, well then there you go TC :D

Haha, seriously though. Laharl hopes to become the overlord (King) of the netherworld. Along the way he meets the angel trainee Flonne, who decides to stay in the netherworld until she can determine whether or not demons have love in their hearts; and that's what the story really ends up being about. There isn't much occult stuff to speak of really, and quite frankly, the story is adorable.

Disgaea is an awesome game, and I highly recommend it. My suggestion to you is to check out the anime on youtube. You'll have a really good idea of what to expect from the story. It's completely tame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KJqbXyGc8(Just a note though, this translator uses the term "Devil", but it isn't used in the game.)

yoshi1476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yoshi1476

I ended up buying the game and will just return it if I have any problems with it.

Thanks for the help

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 X-Remnant

That's good thinking.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

On the DS?

I can't really think of anything; nothing is very much like Disgaea.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor is in the same genre, with anime-inspired graphics and multiple story paths (you can either choose to side with God or his antagonist -- you can make of that what you will), and it's great, so I'd recommend that if you can't get Disgaea. Just keep in mind they're very different games.

WAIW
In terms of the religious side of things, Devil Survivor is possibly even worse.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

If you absolutely can't play Disgaea, then go with Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Speaking from the point-of-view of a huge SRPG fan, FFTA2 is probably the best you're going to find on the DS, besides Fire Emblem.

Devil Survivor and Knights in the Knightmare are excellent too, but those have some religious themes just like Disgaea.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Are there any similiar games to this without the anti christian themes which have atleast 50 hours of play time (including sidequests)?

If there are no good similiar games I don't mind normal RPG games.

Thanks for the help,

yoshi

yoshi1476

But he's doing it fior the good of demons.