Did Nintendo make the right call with the Nintendo Direct now that E3 is no more?

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

After hearing the announcement that E3 is officially gone, I look back and wonder if Nintendo actually made wise decision to not hold a press conference way back in 2013 and onward.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

For Nintendo, I'd say it was the right decision for them financially.

But there was something cool about having all of the big 3 at E3 with a proper showcase.

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, but... I still get a facepalm as to why they didn't show off the Wii U console more in 2011 and 2012 when all the focus was on the Wii U GamePad.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Yeah, I think so. It'll save them some money and will generate more attention to their products. In E3's, they had to fight Microsoft and Sony for our attention, but with the Nintendo Directs, all of the attention is on their products.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

I'd say for the simple fact that Nintendo can unveil things on their own terms, and not have to wait for a singular event that their competition is also going to be unveiling things at, it was a wise move.

They were also some of the pioneers of these developer/publisher live events that a lot of others now also do. It was probably especially helpful for indie devs trying to get news out about their games.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

@rewgle: I couldn’t agree more. Their Nintendo directs, even though they’ve been produced since E3 days, works/should work even better nowadays. I mean what else can they do….sit with their hands folded if E3 is gone or they aren’t invited to other gaming events?? I don’t think they’ll be doing that.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I mean, I feel like they kind of caused E3 to go out the way they did. Nintendo was the first to pull out, then others followed suit.