Could Nintendo possibly want the rights back to Rare's franchises?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Anima_Artista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Anima_Artista
Member since 2012 • 34 Posts

Now, recently (started about a month ago) there's a rumor going round that Nintendo may be trying to buy back Rareware. I think very much they wouldn't want to buy them back, 1 because it wouldn't make sense and 2 all the talent from Rare has been sucked dry. But what about their franchises?

Link

The rumor even goes as far to say that Retro is currently working on something Rareware related, which seems to clash with all the Star Fox talk.

In any case, the only reason I even start to think this could really be, is that former employee's of Rare have been speaking about this or that, like Nintendo's views on Conker or what Rare really wanted to work on despite Microsofts iron fisted rule (Even though it's obvious they wouldn't want to work on what MS wanted).

It's only a very, very slim chance, but every part of me wishes this were true. Rumors like this have been around Since Rare's departure, but anything can happen.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I guess it would be a great idea since it gives Nintendo the rights to include Rare's games to the Virtual Console. Other than that? Meh...I only see Killer Instinct being an important asset.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1. Nintendo doesn't have the money

2. Microsoft wont allow it's own properties to decrease in value

3. Microsoft doesn't need the money

Anima_Artista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Anima_Artista
Member since 2012 • 34 Posts

Jaysonguy

1. They're rolling in it. And keep in mind, they wouldn't be buying the studio, just their franchise rights specifically for the classics through the 64 days.

2. Rights which MS won't use in any worthwhile way that will get them significantly more money. The only thing i've seen lately is Banjo in Sega racing. Rare's a Kinect and avatar studio.

3. All giants love money!

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Microsoft will not sell Rare to Nintendo. They would let Rare die before letting Nintendo have it. It's pitiful that I will still see these rumors 5 years from now, and topics made about these rumors
young80s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 young80s
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

Jaysonguy
Points two and three are quite possibly fair points but if you look at nintendos cash holdings they actually still hold a good 500 billion. Thats more than enough to buy rights to some franchises if they were willing to. Though I think its doubtful they would make such a move.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Doesn't nintendo own a piece of the rare games, anyways?
apickedapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 apickedapple
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
While it probably would never happen I wish it would, I would love to play a true sequel to Conker and Banjo Threeie would be nice
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

They could definitely afford to buy the IPs. Nintendo could work wonders with Rare's old franchises. Perfect Dark on Wii U has the potential to be amazing with the tablet, and I can only imagine the voodoo magic Retro Studios could work on Banjo Kazooie. Whether it WILL happen(or already has), who knows, but I hope it does.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol microsoft loves money!

and dont say nintendo dont have enough , they are rolling in profits from even the gc era!

so dont even go there and the wii made gc look like a dreamcast in terms of sales if any ones got money its nintendo , and since ms loves the money theyll probably easily sell at least one or two of their franchises they have 0 use for - perfect dark being the first canidate because they have 2 fpses already -halo and gears ,

its easy to see why perfect dark 2 on the u would be great , another is banjo kazooie

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Sure, it's possible, but not likely, and even less likely that they would actually be able to get them.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Doesn't nintendo own a piece of the rare games, anyways?Heirren
They sold everything they had to do with Rare to MS, they simply retained all the stuff Rare made with Nintendo characters. Anyway, no one would pay for Rare's franchises. They have nothing of value, the FPS genre is over saturated and completely dominated by a few franchises. The fighting genre and platforming genre aren't what they used to be, so there is really nothing to be gained from those franchises.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Doesn't nintendo own a piece of the rare games, anyways?Sepewrath
They sold everything they had to do with Rare to MS, they simply retained all the stuff Rare made with Nintendo characters. Anyway, no one would pay for Rare's franchises. They have nothing of value, the FPS genre is over saturated and completely dominated by a few franchises. The fighting genre and platforming genre aren't what they used to be, so there is really nothing to be gained from those franchises.

^this easily. There is really nothing for them to gain out of getting those franchises back at this point.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

why would nintendo do that , they have mario , zelda , pikmin , even donkeykong , why would they need rare's dead IPs that anyone can barely remember?

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#15 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Give me Banjo Threeie, Rare! I will gladly buy an Xbox 360 if you don't go back to Nintendo, JUST to play it!

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

While I wish it could be true theres no way I could see this happening.

DK is probably the only important franchise to Nintendo and Retro showed that it is still possible to make a superb game excluding the crocs and beavers - even though I wish this didn't have to be the case *sniffles*

What I don't understand about this licensing issue is in the game Mario supersluggers we saw most of the cast from the DCK games. It confuses me why they are able to be used there. Could they have used them if they had not gone under the name Donkey Kong Country Returs? Or can Nintendo still use them but 3rd parties can't? Whats the deal.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

While I wish it could be true theres no way I could see this happening.

DK is probably the only important franchise to Nintendo and Retro showed that it is still possible to make a superb game excluding the crocs and beavers - even though I wish this didn't have to be the case *sniffles*

What I don't understand about this licensing issue is in the game Mario supersluggers we saw most of the cast from the DCK games. It confuses me why they are able to be used there. Could they have used them if they had not gone under the name Donkey Kong Country Returs? Or can Nintendo still use them but 3rd parties can't? Whats the deal.

knuckl3head

Huh?

Donkey Kong is Nintendo's, they've always owned it.

The only reason Nintendo doesn't make games with Donkey Kong is because they don't want to.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

Huh?

The only reason Nintendo doesn't make games with Donkey Kong is because they don't want to.

Jaysonguy

I'm not talking about DK himself, I'm talking about the villain cast in the DKC series. I thought they couldn't use King K. Rool and the kremlings in the DKC Returns game because they were licensed to rare. My question is why are they allowable and playable characters in the game Mario Super Sluggers then? What allows them to be in that game and not the other?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Huh?

knuckl3head

I'm not talking about DK himself, I'm talking about the villain cast in the DKC series. I thought they couldn't use King K. Rool and the kremlings in the DKC Returns game because they were licensed to rare. My question is why are they allowable and playable characters in the game Mario Super Sluggers then? What allows them to be in that game and not the other?

I don't think that's the reason at all, if it was Nintendo wouldn't have been able to release the DKC games on Virtual Console (at least, not without there permission). No I think Retro decided that they didn't want to make a game that was just a copy/paste of the original DKC, and part of doing that was to ignore King K.Rool and the Kremlings and create there own villains that worked with there vision.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I suuuuuure hope so :D Perfect Dark on the WiiU would be a Rightful fit especially if they let Free Radical handle it. :D
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"]Doesn't nintendo own a piece of the rare games, anyways?Sepewrath

The platforming genre is still as good as ever. Mario galaxy 1+2, rayman origin,mario 3D land, NSMB 2+U, rayman legends coming out. Also little big planet on the PS3 We just need more characters in the genre
Avatar image for sonic_rareware8
sonic_rareware8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 350

#24  Edited By sonic_rareware8
Member since 2010 • 102 Posts

I so agree with what this discussion is saying, Nintendo should buy back Rare and the franchises we love back from Microsoft.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#25 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@sonic_rareware8 said:

@AmnesiaHaze: I so agree, something you must do is write a letter to Nintendo to buy back Rareware and/or a letter to Microsoft to sell Rareware back to Nintendo.

Please, don't bump old threads.