CoD: Black Ops Is Breaking Wii Consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

At least, that's what it looks like.

My Wii stopped reading discs yesterday all of a sudden while I was playing Donkey Kong Country Returns. I was wondering why it started breaking down, until I realized it was because of all the call of duty I was playing before I got DKCR.

I've put about 25 hours into black ops on the Wii and always noticed a large amount of sound coming from the Wii while I was playing multiplayer (if you want to listen, I uploaded a video a while back where you can clearly hear the Wii's disc drive struggling to read this disc - click here)

Now, I'm not 100% sure this is a caused by black ops - so I Googled it to see if anyone else had the same problem and apparently its increasingly common. If you go to google and search "Black Ops Breaking Wiis", you'll find a large amount of searches. In fact, it's even been posted on the official COD forums.

I just want to warn other people who own a Wii of the problem. I've already had my Wii broken twice before, so this is the third time it's happening. It's really a shame a piece of software was released that actually does cause harm to your console and can thus render it useless.

I really, really hope this issue comes into more public light - It's not my fault and I don't want to pay $96 for a repair since the console was working perfectly fine until I purchased black ops.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
Wow. I'm glad I'm getting this game for Xbox360 and not for Wii. Sorry to hear it could be messing up your Wii. I watched the video, and it didn't sound good at all. =/ Good luck with it all in the future.
flyingtorso2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 flyingtorso2
Member since 2010 • 790 Posts

I don't own Black Ops for the wii, but I heard it was a big problem since it's a dual layered disc just like brawl it could break your wii. If you have a relatively new wii you should be okay, but if yours is worned and used a lot it could break some part on the wii where is can't read any games anymore.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Any double layered disc will give you problems depending on the environment and use you give your Wii. Is noting to do with a specific title. I had a lot of problems playing Metroid Other M sometime ago but after a professional cleaning my Wii is just ok. Note my Wii is a launch one and I use it everyday for at least 30 minutes so the work it performs is actually heavy If your Wii is struggling to read it was not damaged by Black Ops at all, you just require to properly clean the laser
skeerup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skeerup
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts

It's not a dual layer disc. The file is exactly 4.7gb. The game is very demanding on the laser, if your having disc read errors get the laser replaced. The laser would already have issues before playing COD.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"]Any double layered disc will give you problems depending on the environment and use you give your Wii. Is noting to do with a specific title. I had a lot of problems playing Metroid Other M sometime ago but after a professional cleaning my Wii is just ok. Note my Wii is a launch one and I use it everyday for at least 30 minutes so the work it performs is actually heavy If your Wii is struggling to read it was not damaged by Black Ops at all, you just require to properly clean the laser

Black Ops isn't a dual layered disc. Besides, I had a Wii lens cleaning kit for a while and did clean the lens on a regular basis.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Good thing I'd never put a Call of Duty game in my Wii. I want nothing to do with that franchise anymore. Also, my Wii has been performing perfectly since the very first day it came out. No disc read errors, no overheating, no freezing, no crashing.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Karmic justice for those who continue to feed the Kotick beast, maybe? That or complete coincidence, just like every other firmware update that supposedly 'bricks' PS3 and 360s. FFXIII was apparently the cause of death for a lot of consoles too. So was Mario Kart Wii.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Can a piece of game software really break hardware :?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 haziqonfire
Can a piece of game software really break hardware :?locopatho
It might be because my Wii is old as well and I use it often. The lens started giving me problems right after I bought black ops which is intensive on the disc drive. Just listen to the noises the Wii makes in the video I posted, it chugs along.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Mine is working just fine. However, from all the reports...there seems to be a pattern. That's unfortunate, if that's really the case.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
This is why I went with Goldeneye.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I have Black Ops and it doesn't break. However, we all know one negative feedback can crush something while positive feedback, no matter how great, will do little to none in helping something. I call it pure coincidence and a nice juicy meal for the Black Ops haters to feast on :P
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I've been playing black ops on my Wii since I got it a week after it launched. My wii was a little more quieter reading disc before I starting playing black ops. Now, I can hear the lens inside my Wii moving rapidly. It especially loud moving very fast, seemingly like its having a hard time loading information from the disc, when I'm playing zombie mode and I happen to die and no one revives me. When the camera tries to switch to the person still alive, its pretty easy to hear my Wii lens attempting to load data. I doubt it will kill my Wii, at least I hope so, when the lens is moving at that fast of a pace. I get the feeling it may cause problems in the future though...
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Activision's revenge for buying the $50 version instead of their $60 version.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts
I've heard of games causing PCs to overheat, but this doesn't sound good.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

I don't own Black Ops for the wii, but I heard it was a big problem since it's a dual layered disc just like brawl it could break your wii. If you have a relatively new wii you should be okay, but if yours is worned and used a lot it could break some part on the wii where is can't read any games anymore.

flyingtorso2
its not dual layered.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 intro94
I have Black Ops and it doesn't break. However, we all know one negative feedback can crush something while positive feedback, no matter how great, will do little to none in helping something. I call it pure coincidence and a nice juicy meal for the Black Ops haters to feast on :PKenny789
i had those problems with brawl years ago, with loading times getting worse. Later i had noises with tenkaichi 3. But BO runs quietly and properly. The reason this posts exist in the first place has nothing to with BO breaking wiis. It has to do with the fact its a game with a very VOCAL fanbase(as stated by Treyarch).As in, LOUDER than other wii games communities. Hence, if kirbys or SW unleashed gives the exact problem(and in fact, some other games do), nobody will bother making posts on any forum.However BO sells fast ,has a big community and its a very vocal one. So anything irky will be reported unlike other games.Not to mention, people play BO for much longer periods of time than Red steel 2 or other games.MUCH longer.The more hours in a row straining a wii with any game ,the more odds of some effect happening, specilally(in the case of the main poster), if the wii had already broken down twice prior to BO.It wouldnt make sense if a game broke a wii and not the rest of them, giving the hardware is the same, and im already at prestige 3,meaning i played BO more than the average wii owner. In my experience, my wii works better after the repair for MOM and BO doesnt strains it as opposed than older games.It wont be fixed because its not an issue.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

flyingtorso2

A Wii system update came with Brawl (though i think it still had to send it in somehow :roll: )

No system update with Black Ops then?

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

TC, check your system for updates.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

My wii shut down completely over the summer with similar conditions.

I had to send it in, second time btw -_-

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 haziqonfire

J-man45
My Wii is up to date. I'm going to have to get it repaired - but I'm not too happy about it. I just hope my data is retained.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="J-man45"]

Haziqonfire
My Wii is up to date. I'm going to have to get it repaired - but I'm not too happy about it. I just hope my data is retained.

Not to upset you, but my friends wasn't.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kenakuma

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

Haziqonfire

Huh, when I repaired mine twice they warned me my data might be wiped but both times it was fine! Once though ONLY my VC games were wiped but I just redownloaded them!

You just have to back up your saves ect on a SD card to be safe.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="J-man45"]

kenakuma

Huh, when I repaired mine twice they warned me my data might be wiped but both times it was fine! Once though ONLY my VC games were wiped but I just redownloaded them!

I have - but not all can be copied to another Wii - Specifically, Brawl and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Jordan has also told me some other first party games don't transfer to other Wiis.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts
My Wii has not had any problems and my launch Wii back in my home country has not had any problems. Those sounds you hear from your Wii online, I get loud sounds too from CoD: WaW (I don't have Black Ops) online. It always does this and it hasn't caused problems. So maybe that's just normal for Black Ops too. Sorry to hear about your Wii breaking down, hopefully it's just your Wii rather than a game breaking Wii's though. Hopefully this will get cleared up soon.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tocool340

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] My Wii is up to date. I'm going to have to get it repaired - but I'm not too happy about it. I just hope my data is retained.Haziqonfire

I have - but not all can be copied to another Wii - Specifically, Brawl and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Jordan has also told me some other first party games don't transfer to other Wiis.

I can't tell you how pissed I was when I sent my Wii in for repairs last year february and I got it back with all my game data was erased. Pissed me off since quite a bit of my brawl friends who don't come here often was never able to readd. Not to mentioned, I was so damn close to completing all of brawl challenges. Only had 5 challenges left I believe. System stopped reading the disc and lucky for me, my warranty wasn't up. Sent it to Nintendo and they said lens needed to be replaced. Its making the same loud sounds now like it did when it first went out. Hope its not about to die on me again...

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kenakuma

I have - but not all can be copied to another Wii - Specifically, Brawl and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Jordan has also told me some other first party games don't transfer to other Wiis.Haziqonfire

And I assume online records and such aren't backed up online or anything.

Losing SSBB would hurt quite alot, having to unlock everything all over again!

I think you'll be fine though.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I really hope this isn't true,because I want to Call of Duty Black Ops on Wii.Has anyone had any problems with the other Call of Duty's on Wii?

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
Activision's revenge for buying the $50 version instead of their $60 version.wiifan001
i lol'd
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 intro94

I really hope this isn't true,because I want to Call of Duty Black Ops on Wii.Has anyone had any problems with the other Call of Duty's on Wii?

Michael0134567
nope.With the other cods on wii selling over 3 million copies it would be deeply known at this point if those actually cased any real problem.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tocool340
Since this is a topic about CoD, I have a question. Does anyone elses game freeze up when they attempt to see the leader board in Zombie mode? Mine keeps locking up for some strange reason when it was working not so long ago....
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

I got it for Xbox 360, not Wii. Sorry to hear about that Wii problem though.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

intro94
nope.With the other cods on wii selling over 3 million copies it would be deeply known at this point if those actually cased any real problem.

Well,that's good to hear.Thanks :).
roy_newell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 roy_newell
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts
There is some hugely bad advice on these forums. Why do people who don't have a clue create a topic just because of a coincidence, this is how rumours get started. All COD's on Wii are demanding on the laser, demanding in the sense it will move back and forth a lot and be noisy due to it. That is not killing your laser, lasers just die over time and on games which are demanding it will be more obvious as there is more being read to error on. Cleaning your laser aswell is as good as hitting the top of the thing, if the laser is kicking out a less powerful beam, then it'll be **** no matter how clean or dity it is, lasers burn out, they don't just get dirty. Replacing your laser will solve any issues you have, the game will still be noisy, as said, lots of data needed quickly hence fast moving laser to get to different parts of disc quickly. But your disc read errors will most likely disappear. I've changed plenty of lasers on different wii's, believe me, its not the game
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

intro94

Yup this seems to be limited to Black Ops. Not just the Wii though as it is causing problems with PlayStation 3 consoles as well. Causing system freezes, etc which can not be good on the system itself or it's blu-ray drive. The only version that seems to working correctly is the Xbox 360 version. Which makes sense as it seems the game was designed for that console first and foremost.

I would like to play this but not on the Wii (traded in my copy and really should have trusted my feeling. Glad I didn't play full price though.) as the experience was horrible I felt. I thought about the PS3 version but that's having it's own issues. I don't want to pay for Xbox Live Gold so the 360 version is out and the PC version I've heard still has issues with stuttering, lag, etc.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i don't believe black ops is the reason i have logged in 25 hours and my wii works fine with any game and its been simi damaged due to one thanksgiving 2 years back with 2 little nephews
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

It the fact that Black Ops is designed to push the Wii's disk Drive and laser beyond the capacity of regular titles on the system specifically because it wasn't a) built from ground up to be optimized to Wii architecture and b) its an HD game scale game on a system not designed to handle that kind of game type. The system puts serious strain on the laser causing it to work much harder then normal and where it out much faster then normal. So yes, it is the game and its poor optimization for the Wii that is causing the problem but its not that the title is corrupt, its just not properly designed for the hardware. This issue will happen to some more then others. As someone above suggested, if you replace the laser and clean it you should have less problems. This is ultimately why any thought of buying black ops for the Wii were thrown out the window for me.

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

Some people say it's because of the content the game is trying to deliver but I don't buy that at all. Other games have delivered the same content and don't over work the drive. Others run better as well and look better. I agree it is due to the lack of optimization and an engine that simply wasn't designed for the hardware. It's not limited to the Wii either as the PS3 and PC versions have issues as well.

This is why I've been so annoyed with EA. They have/had a good FPS engine that they used for Medal of Honor Heroes 2 that they could have kept working on and altering but they decided to simply give up. Even now after seeing how well the Call of Duty games have done, Goldeneye,and even the moderate success HVS/Sega had with Conduit they don't seem to care. I still enjoy MOHH2. I even add the Conduit there because while it didn't do huge numbers I believe it was still successful for Sega and HVS based on what was put into the game. Anything that pays off development (which can vary and if you are smart you can keep this low which I think HVS did for the most part) and makes extra I consider a success. Then there is Ubisoft that when they do have a good game, perhaps more brawler then shooter, they choose to ignore it and don't even try to sell it to people. They could have given the game another push for the holiday when people buy everything but nothing. Though that might be wishful thinking on my part.

I appreciate what Activision is doing with Call of Duty. They try to sell it to everyone knowing that people will buy if its there. In the end I'd much rather a scaled back version like World at War and Modern Warfare Reflex on the Wii if Black Ops is what is going to be the norm when they try to pack everything in. I don't expect them to do a special version that works ideal on the Wii so a more scaled back version would be okay I think if it doesn't over work the system. How the game runs should be the most important thing. Everything else is secondary. If something makes the game run not well then cut it.

ksixer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ksixer7
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

hay guys I have the new black wii that comes with wii motion plus and wii sports resort its in great conditions .. my black ops comes in a few days but will it brake my wii ??? plz reply to me

Moderator Note: Please do not bump old topics in the future. Thank you.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts
hay guys I have the new black wii that comes with wii motion plus and wii sports resort its in great conditions .. my black ops comes in a few days but will it brake my wii ??? plz reply to me ksixer7
no. dont worry about it.