Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - NEW DETAILS!

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

For those who don't want to click the link.

The following comments and details come from producer David Cox...

On inspiration and goals

"We wanted to create a game that felt almost like a sequel to Dracula's Curse, as if there'd never been a Castlevania game since that. We didn't want to specifically make a 'Metroidvania' because we felt that would be copying what had been done before. We wanted to go back to the classic games and build on that."

- heavy focus on combat, platforming, and branching pathways
- play as Simon, Trevor, Alucard and another secret character
- the whole game takes place in Dracula's humongous castle
- each character will have a unique route through various portions
- very rarely will those routes intersect
- basic light/heavy attacks can be performed on-ground an in air
- one boss can summon demonic wolves
- combat involves parrying and dodging
- defeat enemies to gain experience orbs
- the better you perform in battle, the more you obtain
- level up to learn stronger combos
- secondary weapons include throwing axes, holy water, and more
- magic attacks as well
- Simon can use the Belnades spell, which automatically blocks incoming attacks
- this power can help you reach new areas as well
- bottom screen is a map
- write notes on the map to mark areas you want to revist
- this is done by dragging a note symbol from the upper corner of the bottom screen to any room displayed on the map
- lift the stylus to prompt a text screen, where you can write a brief description of what you've found
- the Combat Cross can act as a grappling hook
- explore to find health and magic meter increasing chests
- also collect scroll collectibles for XP bonuses

On seriousness

One of the things that we felt about Lords of Shadow is weve taken things a little too seriously. And we miss some of the humor that perhaps the series has had. We didnt want to do it in a kind of obvious way. We wanted to be more subtle. We thought, Lets not take ourselves too seriously. Lets have some fun.

- stunning enemies opens up throw attacks
- Simon can uppercut skeletons
- they will taunt you with their bony fingers if you take too long to act
- you can also snap the necks of lizard-like creatures
- miniboss: staff-wielding Night Watchman
- small puzzle elements to solve as well

On story as a focus

[The story] has always remained a focus of the game. That idea is just having the relationship between the Belmonts and Dracula explained. Thats something that especially as a player of my age who grew up with the original games was really Belmont gets Dracula, kills Dracula, but why? Whats going on there? What has happened? Weve kind of taken the premise of it being a blood feud, and weve built upon that so the fate of the character the fate of Gabriels decisions in Lords of Shadow affect his son. And what Trevor does affects his son [Simon], and its kind of like through the ages, its kind of this blood feud that snowballs and snowballs and snowballs. Its not until the very last scene of the game that everything falls into place in terms of story. Its a bit like [the Christopher Nolan film] Memento, I suppose.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

This game is going to be awesome.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Hopefully a demo will be released unless I'm missing one in the shop right now. Still not sold 100% yet. 

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

This def. sounds and looks awesome,tbh.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts
is igarashi involved? that's what I want in a new castlevania.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's a 4 hour game

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

ehhh... I'd still rather they focus more on RPG elements instead of God of War 2D action. Also linearity and lack enemy variety are deal breakers for me. Yes it says it has branched pathways, but it also says it's not going to be open like a metroidvania title, take that as you will. Nothing has excited me about this game. I won't be getting it. I'll try the demo though.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
It's hard for me to be excited about this; I don't mind changing up the gameplay, but Castlevania never needed a reboot, let alone this Lords of Shadow junk. Plus, David Cox reminds me too much of Itagaki with his sheer arrogance in interviews. Give me games that build on the 20+ year history of CV games, thanks.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i love CV games i have sense the 80ies i even didn't mind the ps2 games but i hate the lord of shadow games and inless this game some how ends up being ta great CV game i may get it when its drops to 20$.
RJLateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RJLateralus
Member since 2007 • 969 Posts
I am a HUGE Castlevania fan since I was a kid and played the first games on the NES, and LoS is my favorite along "Super Castlevania IV". This game will be a day 1 purchase for me... "too bad" I will be in Japan in March so I will have to wait until April to buy it :(
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreekGameManiac

It's hard for me to be excited about this; I don't mind changing up the gameplay, but Castlevania never needed a reboot, let alone this Lords of Shadow junk. Plus, David Cox reminds me too much of Itagaki with his sheer arrogance in interviews. Give me games that build on the 20+ year history of CV games, thanks. MAILER_DAEMON

Stop being closeminded and fraid of change!

Accept change!

It's not "junk",man!

You have to appriciate it.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Well can you blame him?  Things that do not need a reboot are getting one.  Batman did not need a reboot because now it makes NO sense and now what we know abot Dracula is hone to heck.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]It's hard for me to be excited about this; I don't mind changing up the gameplay, but Castlevania never needed a reboot, let alone this Lords of Shadow junk. Plus, David Cox reminds me too much of Itagaki with his sheer arrogance in interviews. Give me games that build on the 20+ year history of CV games, thanks. GreekGameManiac

Accept change!

It's not "junk",man!

It's not so much change that's the problem. It's just that, from what I've seen and Know about Mirror of Fate, it offers less than past games in the series.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreekGameManiac

] It's not so much change that's the problem. It's just that, from what I've seen and Know about Mirror of Fate, it offers less than past games in the series.Minishdriveby

We'll see once it's out.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I enjoyed Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion + Zero Mission but when I've played Castlevania 2D games in the past they just didn't click with me, for whatever reason. Its a series I want to get into, I know its good but I just can't bring myself into them. Do you guys think Mirror of Fate will be different? It seems more action focused and what not. Or if I couldn't get into the DS games this one probably won't change anything?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]It's hard for me to be excited about this; I don't mind changing up the gameplay, but Castlevania never needed a reboot, let alone this Lords of Shadow junk. Plus, David Cox reminds me too much of Itagaki with his sheer arrogance in interviews. Give me games that build on the 20+ year history of CV games, thanks. Minishdriveby

Accept change!

It's not "junk",man!

It's not so much change that's the problem. It's just that, from what I've seen and Know about Mirror of Fate, it offers less than past games in the series.

Exactly. Change is only good when it's, well, a needed change for the better. Change just for the sake of change is a fool's quest.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I want to be excited for this game, but I can't. I really enjoyed the GBA and DS Castlevania games, and I was very pleased with Order of Ecclesia, but something about this game is so... not attractive to me.

I'll wait for the reviews.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreekGameManiac

I want to be excited for this game, but I can't. I really enjoyed the GBA and DS Castlevania games, and I was very pleased with Order of Ecclesia, but something about this game is so... not attractive to me.

ANIMEguy10034

Really? it seems interesting to me already.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MAILER_DAEMON

ANIMEguy10034
That's the thing... with OoE they made what I felt was the best one in a decade, mixing up the setting and gameplay while still being true to the Metrovania style. I just can't get interested in this new one, especially if it looks at a game like OoE as a mistake.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Metroidvania / IGAvania or bust. The DS / GBA Castlevanias are some of my favorite games of all time. 

Garbage of Fate looks like feces. 

Mirror of Feces also works for the title to this game.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sora278

Ok seriously, there has NOT been enough shown for you people to call it crap.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Minishdriveby

Sora278

Yes I can. The graphics looky muddy and the combat looks to be a dull 2D hack and slash, the sound is atrocious and the monsters lack variety, among other things. Along with other things that appear to be lacking the game looks fairly bland. I'm thinking it will get a 7.0, possibly a 6.5. 

There are a ton of gameplay videos online. You just have to search for them.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAILER_DAEMON
After watching a video on IGN that involved David Cox playing and commenting on a demo, I have even less interest in this. :( Where's the adventure? They turned CV into a 3D action game on a 2D plane... and I'm sorry, but those kinds of games just aren't my cup of tea.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soundcellx

Sora278

On the contrary, there has been plenty shown that proves that Mirror of Garbage is garbage.

God of Bore clone

QTEs - ewwwwww

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
After watching a video on IGN that involved David Cox playing and commenting on a demo, I have even less interest in this. :( Where's the adventure? They turned CV into a 3D action game on a 2D plane... and I'm sorry, but those kinds of games just aren't my cup of tea.MAILER_DAEMON
He mentioned leaving notes on the map so you can return to them when you get the ability you need. We don't know what the map looks like but it doesn't sound completely linear as it looks.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sora278

On the contrary, there has been plenty shown that proves that Mirror of Garbage is garbage.

God of Bore clone

QTEs - ewwwwww

soundcellx

Only like ten minute video of the beginning.  Trust me if I thought it looked like God of Overrated Crap I would tear it down with a crowbar.  I see what you are saying though, the chests?  Yeah.  But come on with the whip should they really have kept it like the first one where it just goes straight?

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

God of Bore clone

QTEs - ewwwwww

Sora278

Only like ten minute video of the beginning.  Trust me if I thought it looked like God of Overrated Crap I would tear it down with a crowbar.  I see what you are saying though, the chests?  Yeah.  But come on with the whip should they really have kept it like the first one where it just goes straight?

I just played the demo for the first time, several hours ago.

The demo of Mirror of Garbage is horrible. I wish it was IGAvania instead of God of Warvania. 

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
after playing the demo i can say that it looks great in 3d but i dislike the gameplay they gave the block choice but yet most of the enemies in the demo can't be blocked, and it wants you to hit the button a lot but then enemies can't be combo stunned and they hit the player also the swinging felt more stiff then in past games, for me the demo was a bust i liked the feel of the game and i may pick it up a year or two later for 20 or 10 $ but no where near the 40 $ price tag it jsut isn't worth it.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i liked it...

much more my style than the console versions...

i will buy it.

3d was really cool.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#31 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The gameplay definitely was a mix of older Castlevanias and Lords of Shadow, but in my opinion it wasn't in a good way. 

Running and platforming overall felt extremely slow. I don't think the combat works exceptionally well in a 2D setting; it isn't bad but it just isn't fun. Also, during some of the fights the camera is brought in close and it gets a little too tight. Overall, I was planning on a purchase but I think I'll wait now.

Would rather pick up Tomb Raider or God of War: Ascension, or ensure a purchase of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.  

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OreoMilkshake
I thought the demo was okay. Didn't hate it or didn't blow me away. I hope we get some reviews before release to see if I should cancel my $30 pre-order.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sora278

I played the demo.  Seemed alright but not for $40 dollars, $25 at most.  The atmosphere seemed way too silly for a Castlevania game.  Those imp people was like wtf and that mask with cloth attached  Come on.  Also it felt like I was trapped by the camera often when I tried to move away.  I wish it was more about abilities than flying around on a chain too in order to advance.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MAILER_DAEMON

I played the demo, trying to go into it with an open mind despite watching the video. Good graphics, but zero atmosphere - they claim to be fans of the series, yet they didn't bother making decent music? The "soundtrack" to this was worse than Harmony of Dissonance, which is saying something.

I can't say I even had that much fun with the combat, and everything seemed to be driven by set pieces. I doubt I'll spend a dime on it.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

The demo was okay. I'm starting to love the artstyle and I'm getting used to the combat, but everything besides the bosses felt boring.

I was also disappointed with the music, especially since Castlevania holds one of my absolute favorite soundtracks in video games. The music in the demo was no where near memorable.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The gameplay definitely was a mix of older Castlevanias and Lords of Shadow, but in my opinion it wasn't in a good way. 

Running and platforming overall felt extremely slow. I don't think the combat works exceptionally well in a 2D setting; it isn't bad but it just isn't fun. Also, during some of the fights the camera is brought in close and it gets a little too tight. Overall, I was planning on a purchase but I think I'll wait now.

Would rather pick up Tomb Raider or God of War: Ascension, or ensure a purchase of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.  

Zassimick

That's because the framerate sucks most of the time.

TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

i was really excited about this game mostly because i loved the game on consoles and the background story. im hyped about LoS2 and i wanted to play MoF because of the sotry and all but after playing the demo, idk.

i know a demo isnt the full version but for me it was a let down, it just dindt hooked me up, and well the ending, idk but thats the worst way of ending a demo

"sorry trevor but you cannot pass yet" by the masked cloth

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

The demo was terrible. The combat is monotonous, and while the game looks pretty, the frame-rate is unbearably slow. Definitely picking up Luigi's Mansion instead. And people wonder why no one buys third-party games on Nintendo platforms...

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

Minishdriveby

Yes I can. The graphics looky muddy and the combat looks to be a dull 2D hack and slash, the sound is atrocious and the monsters lack variety, among other things. Along with other things that appear to be lacking the game looks fairly bland. I'm thinking it will get a 7.0, possibly a 6.5. 

There are a ton of gameplay videos online. You just have to search for them.

I played the demo today, and I love the game. The combat seemed lackluster at first, but then I discovered all of the special moves and combos listed in the menus. Having to use the moves during battles in order to win is great, and challenging too at times. And that was just in the short demo. I can't wait to get my hands on the full version personally...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

The combat is monotonous

REVOLUTIONfreak
Did you learn the combos and finish the demo? I loved the demo once I learned how to block, roll, and attack in so many ways...
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This game seriously feels like a mix between Rondo of Blood and Lords of Shadow.

That's not a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Didn't like the demo at all. Just not my cup of tea. I will continue to go back to the 2D titles on my DS.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
The Demo downgraded the game from "Of Course I'm getting this" to "I'll wait for some reviews"
JustBoomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JustBoomer
Member since 2012 • 188 Posts

I also will wait a couple of weeks after release day. However I am a Castlevania fan.:)

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
Didn't like the demo at all. Just not my cup of tea. I will continue to go back to the 2D titles on my DS.gokuofheaven
Have you tried Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP or Vita? That game is beautiful. Too bad Konomi did not go that direction with this 3DS title.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

The combat is monotonous

superclocked
Did you learn the combos and finish the demo? I loved the demo once I learned how to block, roll, and attack in so many ways...

That's one of the reasons why I didn't like it, honestly. Going that route means that battles are going to take forever.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OreoMilkshake
I'm surprised that this came with Club Nintendo points. I hope it's worth $30 at least.
Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

back on feb. 5th, i called it.

is igarashi involved? that's what I want in a new castlevania.CaptainGamespot

damn. now i'll buy this game for $15 on sale down the road.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sora278

Ok really just saying but I preordered it at gamestop to at least get the case and return it since I just do not even have the money for it right now.  Anyways the case gamestop gave is just a blank case with a bent up sticker!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Ok really just saying but I preordered it at gamestop to at least get the case and return it since I just do not even have the money for it right now.  Anyways the case gamestop gave is just a blank case with a bent up sticker!

Sora278
I was pretty bummed about that, too, but with patience and a razor blade, you can cut away the edging and the camera lens slots and slip it on between the case and the 3ds lid. It looks great and you can't even tell the sticker was bent. Plus, since the case isn't jointed, and instead is a top half/bottom half dealie, I can use it without swapping my Nyko extended battery out for my old battery.