Are you going to pay $40 for Chrono Trigger a 13 year old SNES port?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Square-Enix didn't even bother updating the graphics or using the 64-bit DS hardware to enhance this 13 year old game. They're just porting the original 16-bit SNES game and charging $40 for it.

I know Chrono Trigger is a classic but don't you think $40 is a bit stretching it especially for a game that's been released twice?

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
I guess it's kinda steep if you've already played the game. I never had a SNES though, and I've never played it, so I'll be getting it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The game has been enhanced, just not remade

There's a difference.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#4 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
Never played it so I'll be getting this version.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
Yeah it is a bit much when its so easy to get for free. At most it should only be about $10 or $15 but $15 would be pushing it.
laurensnaudts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 laurensnaudts
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts
This game never hit the shelves in Europe. Thus I'm going to buy this game as soon as it comes out.
Even if it is 13 years old, it will have some minor changes that will make it interesting for the fans.
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

Yeah, it's probably my favorite game ever. I originally played Trigger on the PS1 which included the anime cutscenes.

13 years and it's way better then most games today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
If the game is worth it,perhaps.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

The game has been enhanced, just not remade

There's a difference.

Jaysonguy

This.

And I would have been really upset if they had decided to do a re-make.

And to the OP, "I know Chrono Trigger is a classic but don't you think $40 is a bit stretching it especially for a game that's been released twice?"

The only problem is that one version will cost you upwards of $65-$75, for a used, decade old cart. (not to mention ageing battery saves) And the second version goes for roughly $20, but is so riddled with issues and load times that it's hardly playable.

To me, $40 for a portable version of an SNES classic (with a brand new battery) is a perfect middle ground.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 odin2019

Yes, I would pay $40 for a portable version of my favorite RPG ever without the load times that are everywhere in the PS1 port.

It still has some of the best spritework ever, I don't feel that an ugly 3D remake would work too well for it. Bio_Spark

I still can't figure out why you would pay for a portable version when it can be downloaded on to psp or something of that sort for free.

fellowbetrayed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fellowbetrayed
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts
I like how all the choices in the poll are coming from the bitter consumer perspective. How about the option of "Port, remake or otherwise, considering Chrono Trigger is such a fantastic game, $40 really isn't too big a deal."
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
[QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

Yes, I would pay $40 for a portable version of my favorite RPG ever without the load times that are everywhere in the PS1 port.

It still has some of the best spritework ever, I don't feel that an ugly 3D remake would work too well for it. odin2019

I still can't figure out why you would pay for a portable version when it can be downloaded on to psp or something of that sort for free.

Not everyone is so inclined to break the law.

Also, it's enhanced. The SNES version on a psp isn't going to have the extras (multiplayer, added dungeons, touch screen) that the DS version will have.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 odin2019
[QUOTE="odin2019"][QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

It still has some of the best spritework ever, I don't feel that an ugly 3D remake would work too well for it. Hells_Hammer

Not everyone is so inclined to break the law.

Also, it's enhanced. The SNES version on a psp isn't going to have the extras (multiplayer, added dungeons, touch screen) that the DS version will have.

Its not breaking the law if you already own the game. Which I do.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Its depending that theres no graphical update but as long as there are many additions I will get it as I haven't played the original
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
I'm not voting in your oh so cleverly worded poll. but yes, I'm buying it.
frostybro24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 frostybro24
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts
no. I made aforum about this already(titled DS: the new SNES) id rather it come out on virtual console
dorfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dorfer
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Actually im not even sad about picking it up for 40$ ( € in my case.. which is even more -.- ), because i've never played it before and so far all the sqenix games i bought for my ds were pretty awesome ( twewy, ff4 ).

Also they did a great job on ff4, which was also a remake.. is it actually confirmed or something that they're not going to upgrade the graphics etc.?

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

No. Even though it is probably my favorite game of all time, the minor adjustments they made don't justify a $40 price tag. Maybe if they gave it more of an actual treatment like FF IV. Touch controls and an extra dungeon? Come on. It's a complete ripoff, and shouldn't be justified by buying it.

Of course there are plenty of people who will buy it at that price, which is why they're selling it for that much.The same people that are probably ok with buying a new DS just because a new color came out.

I'm sure someone will flame me for saying this.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#20 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I have been waiting for an affordable version of this game for YEARS. Can't wait to pick it up for the DS.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story

Actually im not even sad about picking it up for 40$ ( € in my case.. which is even more -.- ), because i've never played it before and so far all the sqenix games i bought for my ds were pretty awesome ( twewy, ff4 ).

Also they did a great job on ff4, which was also a remake.. is it actually confirmed or something that they're not going to upgrade the graphics etc.?

dorfer

Not a remake. And no graphical updates. Just touch screen integration and I think a new dungeon. That's it. People say it's "enhanced" but it really isn't. It's a decieving word. It's a straight port of a 13 year old 16-bit Super Nintendo game. Don't even know if the animation cut-scenes from the PS1 version will be in it.

Still doesn't justify a $40 price tag. $29.99 is still too much. I'd get it for $24.99, but no DS game is charged for that much unless it's at the bargain bin.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
I'm gonna wait until it reaches $20.
SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

I'm gonna wait until it reaches $20.F22_King_Raptor

It's a S-E game. It'd be easier to wait a few years and find a Greatest Hits version for $35 -_-

And I want to play it, but I can't bring myself to spend $45 on a game that looks like it walked out of the 80s.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]I'm gonna wait until it reaches $20.SlorgieNel

It's a S-E game. It'd be easier to wait a few years and find a Greatest Hits version for $35 -_-

And I want to play it, but I can't bring myself to spend $45 on a game that looks like it walked out of the 80s.

I notice you have a Jeane D`Arc avatar. Which reminds me. When that game first came out, it was released along with Final Fantasy Tactics Lions War. But Jeane D`Arc, a original game, went for a reasonable $29.99 while the PS1 port of FF Tactics went for $40.

That's no excuse there. Square-Enix just rips people off.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
[QUOTE="dorfer"]

ASK_Story

Not a remake. And no graphical updates. Just touch screen integration and I think a new dungeon. That's it. People say it's "enhanced" but it really isn't. It's a decieving word. It's a straight port of a 13 year old 16-bit Super Nintendo game. Don't even know if the animation cut-scenes from the PS1 version will be in it.

Still doesn't justify a $40 price tag. $29.99 is still too much. I'd get it for $24.99, but no DS game is charged for that much unless it's at the bargain bin.

I agree, $40 for a port that just added some minor things isnt worth it, peharps to people that never played it before, but still too overpriced for the value.

I really think Square Enix should be more careful with their games, especially because of FFIV, now that people know where the ds capabilities can go (and i think that it can go even farther) games such as Chrono Trigger or the upcoming Dragon quest IV (i've seen a few pics, nothing much impressive, i can be wrong through) will be shadowed by FFIV and maybe can dissapoint people or not sell too well as expected.

etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts
Although I was ready to buy it for the virtual console, making it portable makes good sense as well. I do wish I could download for the VC instead, but if I gotta buy it for $40, I'll do it for the greatest RPG I've ever played. I finished it 12 years ago, and I can't wait to start all over again!
Kevu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kevu
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts

Not only am I going to pay $40 for it, but I'll probably buy 2 (where's that polling option?) because it was my brother's favorite game when we were younger. Hate on the prices all you want, but $40 for that many hours of gameplay HARDLY seems like a rip-off to me. Then again, I value gameplay over graphics, so I'm in the minority.

Port Bubble-Bobble!

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
That's cheaper than buying the original, so yes.
greedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greedom
Member since 2005 • 347 Posts
I've never played Chrono Trigger and I don't even know what it's about (that will all change once I post this and then check it out). I'm not a particular fan of SqaureEnix but now that I have access to all these games of theirs for the DS and XBOX 360 I'll give them a shot. I will most certainly be waiting for a price drop however.
SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

I notice you have a Jeane D`Arc avatar. Which reminds me. When that game first came out, it was released along with Final Fantasy Tactics Lions War. But Jeane D`Arc, a original game, went for a reasonable $29.99 while the PS1 port of FF Tactics went for $40.

That's no excuse there. Square-Enix just rips people off.

ASK_Story

Yup, agreed. One of the reasons I haven't even touched WotL is because of that. S-E takes for granted that their name is famous and people who already are fans of their games will buy them, but if they wanted to draw a new crowd in, they'd lower their prices to at least be competitive.

fireXfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fireXfox
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
I would really like it but $40? I would wait to lower the price. Still really going to buy it
Avatar image for NintendoLover00
NintendoLover00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NintendoLover00
Member since 2008 • 2426 Posts

Probably the first one, but still debating.

PrinceNicy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PrinceNicy
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
Never played it. Lots of people love it. I love RPGs. Yeah, I'm gonna get it.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Yeah it's 5 dollars over regular priced games.... I won't do the poll because I don't agree with any of the answers. I don't feel vitctimized.
slick_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 slick_25
Member since 2006 • 1026 Posts
why not, i paid the same amount for the original secret of mana for snes.
meinink2y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 meinink2y
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
Can't wait! Along with Mario RPG on VC, this is the video game highlight of my year.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

...using the 64-bit DS hardware...ASK_Story

The DS is not a 64-bit system.

Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts
Probably, but it better be a perfect port. Smooth with no graphic glitches whatsoever.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

...using the 64-bit DS hardware...ThePlothole

I think he was comparing the DS to the graphic capabilities of the N64. ~ de arimashou :P

Still, I wish they would retouch the sprites (like making them more detailed, not 3D) and add more than just a dungeon. I probably won't get it when it first comes out, so I'll wait for a price drop or get it used somewhere. ~ de arimasu

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Yes, I will get it.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
I won't, personally. My parents will though.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

...using the 64-bit DS hardware...cfamgcn

I think he was comparing the DS to the graphic capabilities of the N64. ~ de arimashou :P

Yeah. That's what I meant. It has Nintendo 64 power.

I know the DS has 2 32 bit processors but it can run up to 60 frames per second. It has Nintendo 64 capability as seen with Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Mario Kart DS.

Apocalypse97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Apocalypse97
Member since 2008 • 1758 Posts
I might get it, but 40$ is quite steep for a game over a decade old.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
Yep.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
Without any doubt, hesitation or regret. Yes.
-SiiLeNCE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 -SiiLeNCE-
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
ill wait for some reviews but im most likely gonna wait till its cheap. ill eventually get it though. how can you not?
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
Yes, and I dont give a **** if you call me a sheep(or whatever). Chrono Trigger is so good that I wouldnt bother paying $40 for it. Besides, the last time(if I am not mistaken) that Chrono Trigger was released was on the PS1, not to mention, this is the first time that the game will appear on a handheld
LightEclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LightEclipse
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts

I wouldn't care if ff7 was being put on ds, I still wouldn't buy it if it had no graphical update and just a few added things. I have never played chrono trigger, but I won't be buying it if there's nothing different from the original while I could download or just play the real thing.

Polychief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#50 Polychief
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts

Of course x]

I never got to finish the game way-back-when so I'll be getting it on my DS. Of course the lack of load times ARE a plus and so is the fact that it's portable now. Is it completly worth it? No. But it's not completly pointless either.