Anyone else see a rather disturbing pattern?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gmc2u_64
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts

I'm beginning to see a rather disturbing pattern involving Nintendo and Third-Party Developers since the Nintendo 64. This pattern is Nintendo Turning-Off Third-Party Developers (resulting in lacking Third-Party Support).

Nintendo 64: Instead of using Discs (like Sony for the Playstation), Nintendo used Cartriges (which resulted in higher manufacturing costs and longer times to get the mass production of the games to end). Result: Most Third-Party developed for Sony's Playstation (leaving Nintendo with little Third-Party Support).

Gamecube: While Nintendo now used Discs (well Mini-Discs), they completely ignored Online-Multiplayer for the Gamecube (Online Multiplayer was very popular during that generation). Result: Lacking (yet somewhat better than the Nintendo 64) Third-Party Support and rather long droughts for games.

Wii: While Nintendo used Regular-Sized Discs and Online, the Online was somewhat lacking (with not so many Online Multiplayer games) and Nintendo decided to use slightly upgraded Gamecube engines (Last Gen Graphics for the most part). Result: No Multiplat games (which are subjectively amongst the best games of this gen yet)and a TON of shovelware (with a few gems here and there).

Could this pattern possibly continue for Nintendo's next console? Or am I being a bit of a Over-Thinker? Discuss.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.
gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gmc2u_64

Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.ZumaJones07
I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that most of Nintendo's games (or something like that) are mediocre?

Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Tobin09
Member since 2006 • 1579 Posts

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.gmc2u_64

I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that most of Nintendo's games (or something like that) are mediocre?

Yes, he did, and I agree

Edit* I figured I needed to highlight the"most"in the quote.

-Skatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 -Skatman-
Member since 2008 • 1068 Posts
I agree with the point that alot of the best games this gen turned out to be the multi-plat (PS3 & 360) games :?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.gmc2u_64

I get what he is saying. Nintendo does...what they feel is just enough to make the experience new, they will not strive to go the whole nine yards for you. Take New Super Mario Bros. Wii, for example. The game would be great with online co-op, but it will not feature it. Their excuse? Nintendo wants you to see the reactions of your friends as you play the game with them and experience the game together in the living room. Personally I think it would be fun either way, and wii speak could only enhance these frantic moments if that is what they want. Almost every game on XBox LIVE Arcade has online play, and voice-chat support (not to plug for Microsoft, just making a point) so it really probably isn't that hard to do. But Nintendo only adds features they say will benefit that particular game. I wouldn't expect every future Nintendo game to utilize Wii Motion Plus, either. I think Nintendo is just trying to stick to what works, what is proven, what they are good at...without making the games too biased in a way that might cause them to not appeal to everyone. They want to ensure that a game is fun, while not limiting people because of their age or preferences. I can understand where they are coming from, but really I think if they take a chance they could do a great job.
Avatar image for StephenBassford
StephenBassford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StephenBassford
Member since 2004 • 889 Posts

Nintendo shouldn't be worried. They have a strong fan base that will follow them through thick and thin. If anything, nintendo took more risk than any other company by making the Wii. Obviously it payed off, and they deserve every penny of it.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

The pattern is this: Nintendo were competing along the lines of hardware specs, and it didnt work (N64, GC). They made a few huge mistakes that lost them third party support. Unfortunately, they saw the only way of solving their problem in the Blue Ocean strategy - target casuals as well as the hardcore, not just ignore them or treat them like morons like everyone else does. Also, they had to make the console accessible to developers, in other words cheap to make games for, and cheap dev kits. Lower cost tech means greater profit, bringingmore developers onside. The announcement of Dragon Quest X among other exclusives to the Wii are examples of this, espesially since many of them have never been opn a Nintendo console before now.

Its been said many times now - If Nintendo had competed along the lines of the 360 and PS3, they would be totally stuffed. The Gamecube was 'hardcore' - but that still sold like crap and had poor support. So they had to take drastic measures. From a business point of view, it worked. From a gaming point of view, the jury is still out - but the third party support is at least improving, probably because more sales = more games. The Gamecube had terrible support because devs figured nobody would buy their games on the Gamecube, mainly because of low sales. The family friendly image alsoput devs off, which really didnt make sense given that the Gamecube was a landmark in attempting to remove the 'kiddy' tag. Every Resident Evil at the time was released for it, the first two mature titles published by Nintendo too - Geist and Eternal Darkness.

The problem is that once you lose that support, its damn near impossible to satisfy them enough to bring them back. They still make excuses like 'only Nintendo games succeed on Nintendo platforms'

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
I agree with the point that alot of the best games this gen turned out to be the multi-plat (PS3 & 360) games :?-Skatman-
But that's an opinion. And a lot of people would also say that all you need is a good MMORPG like WOW and you're set. A lot of people choose the Wii because they prefer its games and features, they are enough for them. To be honest, I have a really low 360 gamerscore, and I have more arcade games and disc games and xbox originals and DLC than I know what to do with. For me, a hardcore system like the 360 might almost be too time-consuming. No matter how you look at it, any game or games can last as long or be as short as you want them to, it just depends on how long something can hold your interest and how much you get into it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Nintendo shouldn't be worried. They have a strong fan base that will follow them through thick and thin. If anything, nintendo took more risk than any other company by making the Wii. Obviously it payed off, and they deserve every penny of it.

StephenBassford
very well put.
-Skatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Skatman-
Member since 2008 • 1068 Posts
[QUOTE="-Skatman-"]I agree with the point that alot of the best games this gen turned out to be the multi-plat (PS3 & 360) games :?Ovirew
But that's an opinion. And a lot of people would also say that all you need is a good MMORPG like WOW and you're set. A lot of people choose the Wii because they prefer its games and features, they are enough for them. To be honest, I have a really low 360 gamerscore, and I have more arcade games and disc games and xbox originals and DLC than I know what to do with. For me, a hardcore system like the 360 might almost be too time-consuming. No matter how you look at it, any game or games can last as long or be as short as you want them to, it just depends on how long something can hold your interest and how much you get into it.

Oh yea my bad i meant that as an opinion :P Either way I dont have PS3 or 360, I only have Wii, and I just realized every game I have for it is either exclusive or a PS2 port. Ah well. And yea I agree its up to the player how long a game lasts...I play all of my games to as close to 100% completion for that purpose, and all my games last me at least 3 weeks to a month before I go and get into something new.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
[QUOTE="gmc2u_64"]

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.Ovirew

I get what he is saying. Nintendo does...what they feel is just enough to make the experience new, they will not strive to go the whole nine yards for you.

Yea this is sort of what I'm saying. Nintendo is always a question mark when you compare it to the other guys while the other guys suffer. Everyone expected PS3 and 360 to have a robust online system. With the Wii people were asking IF it would have good online support. People were questioning whether or not Brawl would have online before it was announced thinking the Wii couldn't handle it. If Angel's Headgear did not have online you'd expect everyone too trash it heck. If Brawl didn't have online it would have been a "Oh that's just Nintendo!" thing. The thing is that Nintendo seems to get away with not offering everything the other guys do: DVD playback, music, game ID's, online components to games that would be good with it, etc. This way when they do something unexpected, it's ten times better. Before Galaxy came out everyone thought Wii was just GC 1.5.
Nintendiddo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nintendiddo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't get what you're saying, either.
gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gmc2u_64

[QUOTE="Ovirew"][QUOTE="gmc2u_64"] I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that most of Nintendo's games (or something like that) are mediocre?

ZumaJones07

I get what he is saying. Nintendo does...what they feel is just enough to make the experience new, they will not strive to go the whole nine yards for you.

Yea this is sort of what I'm saying. Nintendo is always a question mark when you compare it to the other guys while the other guys suffer. Everyone expected PS3 and 360 to have a robust online system. With the Wii people were asking IF it would have good online support. People were questioning whether or not Brawl would have online before it was announced thinking the Wii couldn't handle it. The thing is that Nintendo seems to get away with not offering everything the other guys do: DVD playback, music, game ID's, online components to games that would be good with it, etc. This way when they do something unexpected, it's ten times better. Before Galaxy came out everyone thought Wii was just GC 1.5.

Well it's more of a Gamecube 2.0 to me.

gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gmc2u_64

The pattern is this: Nintendo were competing along the lines of hardware specs, and it didnt work (N64, GC). They made a few huge mistakes that lost them third party support. Unfortunately, they saw the only way of solving their problem in the Blue Ocean strategy - target casuals as well as the hardcore, not just ignore them or treat them like morons like everyone else does. Also, they had to make the console accessible to developers, in other words cheap to make games for, and cheap dev kits. Lower cost tech means greater profit, bringingmore developers onside. The announcement of Dragon Quest X among other exclusives to the Wii are examples of this, espesially since many of them have never been opn a Nintendo console before now.

Its been said many times now - If Nintendo had competed along the lines of the 360 and PS3, they would be totally stuffed. The Gamecube was 'hardcore' - but that still sold like crap and had poor support. So they had to take drastic measures. From a business point of view, it worked. From a gaming point of view, the jury is still out - but the third party support is at least improving, probably because more sales = more games. The Gamecube had terrible support because devs figured nobody would buy their games on the Gamecube, mainly because of low sales. The family friendly image alsoput devs off, which really didnt make sense given that the Gamecube was a landmark in attempting to remove the 'kiddy' tag. Every Resident Evil at the time was released for it, the first two mature titles published by Nintendo too - Geist and Eternal Darkness.

The problem is that once you lose that support, its damn near impossible to satisfy them enough to bring them back. They still make excuses like 'only Nintendo games succeed on Nintendo platforms'

Quofan

You're right that if Nintendo went the Ps3/360 route, they would've gone the way of the Dodos.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

[QUOTE="gmc2u_64"]

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away with mediocrity.Ovirew

I get what he is saying. Nintendo does...what they feel is just enough to make the experience new, they will not strive to go the whole nine yards for you. Take New Super Mario Bros. Wii, for example. The game would be great with online co-op, but it will not feature it. Their excuse? Nintendo wants you to see the reactions of your friends as you play the game with them and experience the game together in the living room. Personally I think it would be fun either way, and wii speak could only enhance these frantic moments if that is what they want. Almost every game on XBox LIVE Arcade has online play, and voice-chat support (not to plug for Microsoft, just making a point) so it really probably isn't that hard to do. But Nintendo only adds features they say will benefit that particular game. I wouldn't expect every future Nintendo game to utilize Wii Motion Plus, either. I think Nintendo is just trying to stick to what works, what is proven, what they are good at...without making the games too biased in a way that might cause them to not appeal to everyone. They want to ensure that a game is fun, while not limiting people because of their age or preferences. I can understand where they are coming from, but really I think if they take a chance they could do a great job.

Ahh, I agree with you, for the most part. But can you really blame them? The generations where they did take risks in software (N64 and GC) were two of the worst the company had to face. Now that the Wii is the success it is, of course they are only going to make "safe" software. This is why, after a while, I was so disappointed with Galaxy 2. As much as I am looking forward to playing the game, Nintendo has fallen back on Mario, Zelda and Metroid - safe franchises that always seem to adhere to the conventions of that particular series.

I want Nintendo to start taking some risks. You know, Wind Waker or Pikmin or Geist type risks. Punch-Out was a step in the right direction for me, reimaging a series thats been dead since the SNES. But it, too, played it safe. Please, give me Pikmin 3 with its own innovations. Give me an F-Zero, Starfox, Kirby. A Fire Emblem that isnt a GC port? Mario RPG? There is the often rumoured no-show Kid Icarus. Wave Race. Pilot Wings. a New Yoshi game. Donkey Kong needs revising quick. Chibi Robo.

They could take any one of these and do something phenominal with it, but they havent. The hardcore cried out for Mario, Metroid and Zelda, and unfortunalely Nintendo is in appeasement mode.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away from the mediocrity. I hope that they will not be appealing to 3rd party next gen. You know what it means to be appealing to 3rd party? It means 3 of the same consoles. I really don't like some certain other consoles this gen (i have a pc as a standard platform). If nintendo went that route as well with wii/ds this might have been the most boring gen evah!
Captain-Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Captain-Pants
Member since 2005 • 3533 Posts

When it comes to processing power and online gaming they are behind. When it comes to almost every other aspect, they are the industry leader or on equal footing.

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
I agree with the point that alot of the best games this gen turned out to be the multi-plat (PS3 & 360) games :?-Skatman-
They do have great games, but the Wii has its own great games. Own 2 systems so you can live best in both worlds.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
Not that i dont agree with this post, but Nintendo is not the same company as Sony and Microsoft. Both other consoles are more of a waterdown PC, where wii is atleast innovative with motion controls. Nintendo is always a leader in innovation, with other companies following suit. Nintendo has always made games/systems for EVERYONE. Sony and Mircosoft aim for "hardcore" gamers. All of the sysytems have strengths and weakness', just because Nintendo is different doesnt make them worse. My PC is better graphically then all consoles, and IMO, aside from motion controls, they are all outdated.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The thing is that Nintendo seems to get away with not offering everything the other guys do: DVD playback, music, game ID's, online components to games that would be good with it, etc. This way when they do something unexpected, it's ten times better. Before Galaxy came out everyone thought Wii was just GC 1.5.ZumaJones07
That's a good way to put it. But think about WHY they can get away with it, rather than how much better it could potentially be if they maxed everything out. Why do so many people still buy Nintendo consoles (forget the Wii Sports-only owners for the moment)? Why will people still buy New Super Mario Bros. Wii even though it doesn't have online multiplayer? Why did people still buy a Wii even without DVD playback (the answer should be obvious at this point)? Why would people still have bought SSBB if it hadn't had online multiplayer? Why can Nintendo get away with it?

Avatar image for 228623477423185005978085524869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 228623477423185005978085524869
Member since 2009 • 604 Posts

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]The thing is that Nintendo seems to get away with not offering everything the other guys do: DVD playback, music, game ID's, online components to games that would be good with it, etc. This way when they do something unexpected, it's ten times better. Before Galaxy came out everyone thought Wii was just GC 1.5.JordanElek

That's a good way to put it. But think about WHY they can get away with it, rather than how much better it could potentially be if they maxed everything out. Why do so many people still buy Nintendo consoles (forget the Wii Sports-only owners for the moment)? Why will people still buy New Super Mario Bros. Wii even though it doesn't have online multiplayer? Why did people still buy a Wii even without DVD playback (the answer should be obvious at this point)? Why would people still have bought SSBB if it hadn't had online multiplayer? Why can Nintendo get away with it?

Because Nintendo is Nintendo.

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

Nintendo can get away with what they do because they are innovative.

Aside from online gaming and instrument controllers (Guitar Hero/Rock Band), the motion controls for the Wii is one of the biggest leaps in video game history (I consider the Power Glove sort of a failed attempt).

GTAIV is a joke compared to the Godfather on Wii. Graphics? Who gives a ****. I get to actually swing my controller when I'm smacking some dude's skull with a baseball bat.

Rev

ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

Well, I would say that Online-gaming is more popular this generation, but Nintendo likes to do things differently than it's competiters....

Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

IT's a long text but hope it's worth reading.

I think the Wii is where they took the bigger risks, when microsoft and sony announced their consoles everyone pretty much assumed X360 and PS3 would rule the market and that Nintendo would FAIL. Microsoft and Sony representatives kept saying "next gen Nintendo will give up on hardware, only their fan-base will buy their console, we don't even count them as competition".

Then Nintendo showed the motion controls and everyone kept thinking: they're gonna FAIL. Sony said they didn't care about it but in fact they implemented the sixaxis controls as a last minute answer.

The Wii was a risky ideia, every analyst said it was going to be Nintendo's last console.

Now that the Wii is the success it is, of course they are only going to make "safe" software.

I think you're talking about 3rd parties. Nintendo games look much better than the 3rd party titles (haven't played Conduit yet). They are the ones who make last-gen-looking games (because it's cheaper to portgames they already had for the PS2). They were taken by surprise with the Wii's success and came for the quick money. They saw Wii Sports and simply copied it flooding the market with their collections of minigames.

BTW, back in the Xbox vs PS2 vs GC era, the PS2 (the best selling console of that gen) had the worst hardware and was also full of i'm-here-for-your-money games and noone complained.Shrek: Super Party, Petz: Catz 2, Nickelodeon Party Blast, Konami Kids Playground: Alphabet Circus, Crazy Frog Racer 2, Without Warning.... omg, i think i've seen the same games with different titles on the wii :P

Here's a disturbing pattern instead:

NES - the gamepad -> the competition starts using gamepads instead ofjoysticks and keyboards as the default game controller

N64 - analogue joystick and rumble in controllers -> the competition starts using them too

Wii - motion controls -> the competition have already announced their motion controls

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
no online was a joke last gen. only xbots played it.
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
how could shovelware possibly disrupt 3rd party support, whereas shovelwares are in fact from 3rd party devs? in fact, shovelwares indicate that there is an overflow of 3rd party (indie or dependent) support on a console... that's why crappy games are overflowing... everybody suddenly wants to make a game for the wii... they just make one for the fun of it maybe it'll sell well since the wii is leading sales right now... and why does everybody say that the wii has last gen graphics yet say that it's better than GC graphics? isn't that contradicting? it's not last gen if it's better than something from last gen... possibly the best last gen in terms of graphical capabilities... anyway just my thoughts ... i only read the first post and... i think you're over-thinking.... it's somewhat good that there are not that much multiplat games on the wii... i'd rather play them on the pc anyway... i'd rather have good wii exclusives.... the wii obviously can't compare to 360/ps3/pc graphically, that's why multiplat games won't work that well... they'll just dumb it down on the wii... anywayyyyy..... i heard the conduit has good online... and monster hunter 3 is coming to the wii, and that's online... so... yea, everything's just starting to pick up on the wii.... also, with the help of WM+ a multiplat game is better played on the wii........ so, no.... there's no pattern.... if there was a pattern, it's not happening now, therefore ruling out the hypothesis that there is a pattern....... there was but.... now there isn't
gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gmc2u_64

Well, I would say that Online-gaming is more popular this generation, but Nintendo likes to do things differently than it's competiters....

ChildOfGaming7

That's Nintendo for you. Always like to do things differently (even if it cost them greatly...),

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
actually very few of the best games this gen are multiplat and at best they are not the best games on ALL consoles, only one console is better than the rest be it cod4, xbox 360 is best. or the orange box, where the pc is best. GTA IV where again it seems ps3 has the upper hand due to its online being pointlessly rubbish and the game just feels right there. the actual list of best games this gen is not that. ok orange box maybe is... but still they would tend to lean towards: uncharted: drakes fortune killzone 2 little big planet MGS4 halo 3 gears of war mass effect (PC) orange box (PC, the other versions just suck and are not in this list) mario galaxy super smash bros brawl zelda etc. so yeah generally the games that are gonna get into the list of "best of this gen" are gonna be the exclusives. anyway, you arguement is moot, since we don't particularly care for cross platform games on the wii... games can be ported, but they will never be as good as the original ips made exclusive to wii, since the gameplay won't be made to take advantage of the controller. so why care?
gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gmc2u_64

Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away from the mediocrity. I hope that they will not be appealing to 3rd party next gen. You know what it means to be appealing to 3rd party? It means 3 of the same consoles. I really don't like some certain other consoles this gen (i have a pc as a standard platform). If nintendo went that route as well with wii/ds this might have been the most boring gen evah!KungfuKitten
Appealing to Third-Party Developers can be the difference between life and death in this industry, my friend. Nintendo was swamped durring the last generation (under 30,000,000 units sold) because they wouldn't appeal to Third-Party Developers (Third-Party games helped Sony's Playstation 2 sold over 100,000,000 units (that and other things)). It was pure luck that Nintendo is dominating in sales this Generation. They may not have the same luck next Generation if they don't appeal to Third-Party developers.

Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
Nintendo 64 had online functionality. As did the GameCube, Phantasy Star Online anybody? They're not last generation graphics if they're still in use, you bought the console knowing full well that it wasn't as powerful as the other two main competitors, it's main aspect is fun and functionality. There are some great online games, I tend to play my Wii more than my PS3 or 360 infact. I think the next Nintendo console will not be for a very long time and because of this, it'll get it right.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Wii is innovative. Thats why i bought it.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="gmc2u_64"]

I'm beginning to see a rather disturbing pattern involving Nintendo and Third-Party Developers since the Nintendo 64. This pattern is Nintendo Turning-Off Third-Party Developers (resulting in lacking Third-Party Support).

Nintendo 64: Instead of using Discs (like Sony for the Playstation), Nintendo used Cartriges (which resulted in higher manufacturing costs and longer times to get the mass production of the games to end). Result: Most Third-Party developed for Sony's Playstation (leaving Nintendo with little Third-Party Support).

Gamecube: While Nintendo now used Discs (well Mini-Discs), they completely ignored Online-Multiplayer for the Gamecube (Online Multiplayer was very popular during that generation). Result: Lacking (yet somewhat better than the Nintendo 64) Third-Party Support and rather long droughts for games.

Wii: While Nintendo used Regular-Sized Discs and Online, the Online was somewhat lacking (with not so many Online Multiplayer games) and Nintendo decided to use slightly upgraded Gamecube engines (Last Gen Graphics for the most part). Result: No Multiplat games (which are subjectively amongst the best games of this gen yet)and a TON of shovelware (with a few gems here and there).

Could this pattern possibly continue for Nintendo's next console? Or am I being a bit of a Over-Thinker? Discuss.

I got news for you guy if Nintendo had souped up the Wii to "next gen graphics"(another one of those non-existant things) the Wii would have been really expensive and wouldn't have sold well and wouldn't have gotten any of those 3rd party games anyway.It wouldn't ave gotten as much shovelware because it wouldn't have been market leader(market leader=shovelware). Your trend pattern makes no sense because the GC was more powerful than PS2 and the PS2 didn't start with a working online system either, but it quickly became the dominant markte leader with those two downsides and hence got the heavy 3rd party support. The only trend I notice is from people probably like you who shop by brand name. You don't buy 3rd party games that aren't from an established franchise so why would publishers bring them to the Wii? So your not over thinking, you not thinking nearly enough and you missed the trend of gamers not supporting titles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Why will people still buy New Super Mario Bros. Wii even though it doesn't have online multiplayer?JordanElek
That part caught my eye, because that is exactly how I feel about NSMBW lol. Even though there is a ton more they could do to make this game much better than what we have seen, even though you can't go online with it and it probably won't be super long or challenging, it is still going to be a fun and enjoyable Mario game...and that is why I simply must have it.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

It's been more than two years, and we're still getting this, "lack of third-party support", jibber-jabber. If you want to play all the best third-party games, you shouldn't have bought a Wii.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

lol WRONG, nintendos pattern is to be better then anyone eals

which they allready are o,o

and i still didnt see any of the other companys making better games then zelda OoT or Mario Galaxy...

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]Why will people still buy New Super Mario Bros. Wii even though it doesn't have online multiplayer?Ovirew
That part caught my eye, because that is exactly how I feel about NSMBW lol. Even though there is a ton more they could do to make this game much better than what we have seen, even though you can't go online with it and it probably won't be super long or challenging, it is still going to be a fun and enjoyable Mario game...and that is why I simply must have it.

That's exactly how I'd answer as well. Nintendo must be doing something right if we keep buying all their games. If we were REALLY so dissatisfied, we would just say "that's stupid" and move on. Yet we've played enough Nintendo games to know that they're fun. The only Nintendo game I've played in recent memory that I didn't end up buying is Wii Music. It's fun, but not fun enough to buy, and the sales numbers reflect that. But that game is easily an exception.

So for everything that Nintendo does "wrong," they do enough right to be very successful. I'd like to think they're smart enough to know when a feature (either in a console or a game) just isn't worth implementing. DVD playback, for example. That's entirely irrelevant to people today. Who doesn't have a DVD player? Seriously. As for online multiplayer, they claim they haven't been able to get it working well for NSMB Wii. They apparently feel that no online is better than barely functional online, that the frustration over no online wouldn't outweigh the frustration over bad online.

I don't think Nintendo has the mentality that "oh, we could put this in but let's not because people will buy it anyway." They have reasons for what they do, and they're usually pretty clear about what those are. Nintendo explained clearly before the Wii's release why they chose the hardware they did, they've explained why there's no HD capabilities, why there's no DVD player, etc. Sometimes they make the wrong decisions, sometimes they make the right ones, but they don't make those decisions flippantly.

gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gmc2u_64

Like I've said, I might've been over-thinking. But thanks for your opinions everybody!

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
This isn't distribing considering I've always been satisfied with the third-party support on Nintendo consoles. If I want an FPS game I'll get it for another console (which I do). Of course it'll be in Nintendo's next platform; why wouldn't it?!
Avatar image for Quetzalcoatl_88
Quetzalcoatl_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Quetzalcoatl_88
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
One of the only patterns I've noticed is how every once in a while, Nintendo seems to be a little ahead of its time. For instance, the 64 was the first console to introduce the analog thumbstick, and then everyone else followed. Obviously the same thing is happening with the wii. They made sony and microsoft eat their own words when they both announced their own motion controllers at a time where they deemed the wiimote as nothing more than a gimmick. When it comes to Nintendo, their latest "gimmick" can end up being the new standard.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]Nintendo's pattern is being able to get away from the mediocrity. I hope that they will not be appealing to 3rd party next gen. You know what it means to be appealing to 3rd party? It means 3 of the same consoles. I really don't like some certain other consoles this gen (i have a pc as a standard platform). If nintendo went that route as well with wii/ds this might have been the most boring gen evah!gmc2u_64

Appealing to Third-Party Developers can be the difference between life and death in this industry, my friend. Nintendo was swamped durring the last generation (under 30,000,000 units sold) because they wouldn't appeal to Third-Party Developers (Third-Party games helped Sony's Playstation 2 sold over 100,000,000 units (that and other things)). It was pure luck that Nintendo is dominating in sales this Generation. They may not have the same luck next Generation if they don't appeal to Third-Party developers.

They didn't need them during GC. I think they shouldn't worry about it. 3rd parties are very stupid. I think the only way to appeal to them nowadays is to play extremely safe (= being boring like the others). If people don't want nintendo anymore, then nintendo will change and hope for better results. But they shouldn't become the same as the others or they will have lost all purpose, safe for making money. That should never happen. Maybe they will find a way to reel 3rd party in, while still being different. You just have to find a way to make them and their publishers see money. Maybe they could start off the same as the others, and then suddenly turn out to be different anyway, taking the industry with them.

(That is what i think they will do.)

Nforspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nforspeed
Member since 2004 • 514 Posts

Sorry Tell but nintendo just going do what makes them the most money.

gmc2u_64

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

gmc2u_64

This is theMain one I disagree with you on. Gamecube DID actually have online games. Not that many I agree, but it did have that feature so they didn't COMPLETELY ignore it.