Anyone else have scratches developing on top screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jokoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 jokoo
Member since 2005 • 99 Posts

I have been making sure to take good care of my 3DS. I always handle it with care. I wipe it down each day after use with a clean microfiber cloth. But even after all my efforts to keep it clean,I think I am beginning to see a design flaw.

Because the bottom screen is smaller than the top screen, the top screen rests on the edges of the small screen. Its been a week and it is already starting to develop 2 PERMANANT VERTICAL LINES on the top screen, ABOUT 1/4" FROM EITHER SIDE. I was so upset when I discovered this last night. I just kept gently wiping and wiping and it won't come off.

While it doesn't affect my gameplay yet, I feel it definately will over time, seeing that its only been 1 week and there is damange. I've owned lots of portables, I know how to take care of hardware. It seems to me this is Nintendo's fault. I already wrote a letter to Nintendo, I am just waiting for a response now.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If not, then mine is a defect and I am going to try to get Nintendo to get me a new one.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I noticed vertical lines on mine but they wiped away. I've heard of people getting scratches on the top screen from the bottom screen. To prevent this, I put a screen protector on my top screen so if the scratches do become permanent, I can just replace the screen protector and be on my on way.
jokoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jokoo

So it isn't just me. Thats totally BS. I really like the 3ds, but that's lame they didn't test that. I think if they just filed the edges of the screen down like .003 inches it would fix it. I wish I knew this before hand, so I could've gotten a screen protector. I never needed one for my other DS because it folds and protects itself.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
It's not a common problem since not all 3DS units exhibit it, but screen protectors are definitely recommended. Hori protectors in particular are excellent.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I'll have to get screen protectors today. Didn't realize this was a problem.
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Like all my other devices the first i will be doing with my 3DS is sticking on a screen protector! I dont think you can buy Hori protectors here. My case arrived today and that came with them. (typical, the case arrived but not the unit...) But i can always replace them later if theres issues. Just as long as theres something on there im happy.
kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I've seen those vertical lines too, but mine wipe away. Sometimes it takes a little extra effort, but sure enough they're soon gone.

takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

I have been making sure to take good care of my 3DS. I always handle it with care. I wipe it down each day after use with a clean microfiber cloth. But even after all my efforts to keep it clean,I think I am beginning to see a design flaw.

Because the bottom screen is smaller than the top screen, the top screen rests on the edges of the small screen. Its been a week and it is already starting to develop 2 PERMANANT VERTICAL LINES on the top screen, ABOUT 1/4" FROM EITHER SIDE. I was so upset when I discovered this last night. I just kept gently wiping and wiping and it won't come off.

While it doesn't affect my gameplay yet, I feel it definately will over time, seeing that its only been 1 week and there is damange. I've owned lots of portables, I know how to take care of hardware. It seems to me this is Nintendo's fault. I already wrote a letter to Nintendo, I am just waiting for a response now.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If not, then mine is a defect and I am going to try to get Nintendo to get me a new one.

jokoo

yea I am also seeing those horizontal lines on my top screen too but luckily they wipe off. I suggest bringing it back to the store you bought it from and exchanging it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dzimm

I've seen those vertical lines too, but mine wipe away. Sometimes it takes a little extra effort, but sure enough they're soon gone.

kirkonacid

Most likely it's oil and dirt on the edges of the bottom screen that is being transferred to the top screen rather than it actually scratching. However keep in mind that vigorously wiping the screen on a regular basis could eventually cause scratching, so a screen protector is still recommended.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I just took a look at mine, and noticed it does have a line, but it wiped away clean.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I'm planning on keeping a cloth between the two halves of the 3DS. I don't want to take the chance that permanent scratches will form, even if I use a screen protectors.
Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

Wow, I knew the top screen was bigger, but this was something I never thought of happening. I did a quick google search and other people seem to be experiencing this. Thanks for bringing this to my attentino

Babugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Babugee
Member since 2004 • 8388 Posts

You mean this??

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/Babugee/3DS.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/Babugee/3DS2.jpg

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

so lucky... I'd rather have a few scratches than a loose hinge. It's really annoying when playing ssf4 :evil:

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
A design flaw like that seems like a common problem to me given that every 3DS upper screen will redoubtably rest upon the lower causing these vertical marks... If they all function the same way the same thing will in turn happen to them all. Id be more worried about accidental pressure to the upper lid causing permanent damage from those pressure points than anything else : X
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I have seen this too. But mine wiped away too.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dzimm

There's not a single mark on my top screen, and I can't imagine how simply closing the 3DS would cause the kind of marks seen on the picture above. It seems the two halves would have to rub together, and I have no idea how someone would pull that off.

Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

As soon as I heard about it (and somewhat noticed it a little on my 3DS), I just keep a cloth in between the screens when its closed. It might make me look like some insane cleaning freak but dammit I want no scratches!

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Im just glad i got to hear about all this before i got mine! So now im going to have a screen protector protecting the screen and a piece of cloth in the middle protecting the screen protector.. :D
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Yeah I've got that issue too, so far it just wipes away, but it's got me a little worried. Seems like a pretty stupid design flaw.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I didn't have this problem but i went ahead and put the screen protectors on it.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
Wooow, Babugee got it bad. I don't get any of that and I usually leave a ton of crap piled on my 3DS on my bedside table which you think would push the top screen down even more. But that really sucks...
Babugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Babugee
Im just glad i got to hear about all this before i got mine! So now im going to have a screen protector protecting the screen and a piece of cloth in the middle protecting the screen protector.. :D cooldust
I keep the original foamy cloth pad thing that they ship the 3DS in sandwiched between the screen EVERY time I close it... I don't know how I got the scratches but I have a protector so I don't care.
Babugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Babugee
Wooow, Babugee got it bad. I don't get any of that and I usually leave a ton of crap piled on my 3DS on my bedside table which you think would push the top screen down even more. But that really sucks...riariases
I hardly notice it. I had to put the flash on in order for the scratches to show up.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
People just make sure you are not putting it inside your pockets. I only carry it inside a pouch design for the DS Lite which is similar to the 3DS ones from Hori. It seems just a bit of pressure can cause it scratch a bit.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="cooldust"]Im just glad i got to hear about all this before i got mine! So now im going to have a screen protector protecting the screen and a piece of cloth in the middle protecting the screen protector.. :D Babugee
I keep the original foamy cloth pad thing that they ship the 3DS in sandwiched between the screen EVERY time I close it... I don't know how I got the scratches but I have a protector so I don't care.

Are you saying you got the scratches even with the shipping pad? I do not want to put screen protectors on because I do not seem to be able to apply them without having something trapped underneath, but when I read this thread I went to put the original shipping pad inbetween my two screens to avoid the scratches (was not using anything before).

Edit: OP Keep us posted on Nintendo's response.

Babugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Babugee

[QUOTE="Babugee"][QUOTE="cooldust"]Im just glad i got to hear about all this before i got mine! So now im going to have a screen protector protecting the screen and a piece of cloth in the middle protecting the screen protector.. :D Euaggelistes

Are you saying you got the scratches even with the shipping pad? I do not want to put screen protectors on because I do not seem to be able to apply them without having something trapped underneath, but when I read this thread I went to put the original shipping pad inbetween my two screens to avoid the scratches (was not using anything before).

Edit: OP Keep us posted on Nintendo's response.

yes the original shipping pad... some water on a cleaning cloth got it off before i applied my protector
jokoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jokoo

I'm wondering if I do have a messed up DS because noone else is really confirming theirs are permanant. I wrote a letter to nintendo and they basically told me to wipe it clean and if it didn't work i could pay $75 for a new screen replacement (so it could happen again..).

I do bring mine in my pocket all the time so I can get the play coins, maybe that makes it alot worse, but how else are you gonna get play coins? I have multiple pieces of fiber cloth I just wash and put inside when I close it now.

I wish so bad someone told me about this before I bought the system, I guess I am paying for not being able to wait to own one!Even though its designed to scratch itself, I still love my 3ds.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

I have this problem also, I noticed it a while ago.

There's two vertical lines running down both sides of the top screen, and I couldn't figure out what they were from. I didn't notice until now either but they're in line with the touch screen. I've managed to wipe away some of the line on the left of the screen but not all of it and the line on the right won't go away and it's really annoying. Then there's the touch screen which has tons of scratches in a big circle from playing Nintendogs + Cats.

maxprime57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 maxprime57
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I noticed that my 3ds upper screen has gotten marked from the frame on the lower touch screen . But mine did damage it and could not be rubbed off, i'm guess a piece of dirt got between there and did it dirty work to my upper screen. So, I call nintendo today to see if the upper outer protection plastic was availible to buy for the 3ds like it was on the gba and I'd replace it. They told me that it was under warranty and and emailed me a fedex label and told me to box it up and send it to them, I was told it would take around 16 days turn around. So, while regreting sending my 3ds away for 16 days . I call walmart "where i got mine" and asked them about it. They asked me if I had my receipt ,I told them yes. They then told me to bring it in and get a new one. So, tonight I'm charging my new 3ds. hard to believe walmart made my day. :)
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
I've never experienced anything of the sort. I don't know how the scratching would occur anyway. The top screen doesn't even touch the bottom section, at least not on my system anyway.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

There's not a single mark on my top screen, and I can't imagine how simply closing the 3DS would cause the kind of marks seen on the picture above. It seems the two halves would have to rub together, and I have no idea how someone would pull that off.

dzimm

It's a hanheld :?

Don't defend poor design.